How much did you save on electricity this month not having to turn on the AC?

Sojuncoke

Living without AC isn't that bad. Just takes some getting used to. A good fan is all you need. I got tired of paying outrageous 3k+ electric bills so I stopped it altogether. Saves a lot of money and I'm never hot.

eating noodle soup and lots of rice as well as drinking water every day is all you need. just takes some time to get used too. saves a lot of money and you are never hungry.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Naam

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bill for Dec18-Jan18 was about half what it usually is, but I did fit a new inverter air-con part-way through the month and this alone should have an impact on my bill.

I've certainly had the aircon off and the window open far more this winter than I ever have before. Shame it cant be like this all the time.

can't believe some of us run electric bills alone higher than most Thai families live off in total per month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4#t=37s

in most of our home countries the heating bill for oil or gas will also be higher than most Thai families live off.

by the way, most Thai families spend a multiple amount of money what a family in Bangla Desh or Ethiopia spends.

A question about insulated walls ceilings etc: don't they make it even colder in winter unless you have a heater inside?

All insulation does is SLOW DOWN the transfer of heat from the warmer side to the cooler.

So if you open up all your windows and doors to equalize the temperature with the outdoors, and then seal things up without any heat source indoors, the temperature outdoors can rise or fall without immediately changing that indoors.

If it then gets colder outside, you will be warmer inside.

But if it's warmer outside, yes you will be cooler inside.

Make sense?

Now if you're burning energy to warm or cool the indoors, the purpose of insulation of course is to prevent your desired temperature from disappearing to the outside.

The better the insulation the more efficient your use of that energy.

Running an aircon unit in a typical leaky teak house will make you feel cooler, but as soon as you turn it off thinks will heat up rapidly. And you'd be spending many times more on electric than if you had a properly sealed and insulated house.

Without any A/C, the native style house will be much more comfortable than a western-style one.

The real challenge in energy-efficient home design is to minimize the need for cooling or heating, but maximize its efficiency when it does need to be used.

Less than one in a million dwellings accomplish those two goals at the same time, definitely requires an architect that specializes in ecological design, usually practicing in the passive solar field - which isn't implemented much in Thailand.

One solution is to have a "natural living" Thai-style section next to or surrounding a western-style sealed and insulated structure, and move from one to the other as needed.

can't believe some of us run electric bills alone higher than most Thai families live off in total per month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4#t=37s

Why is it that I am not in the least surprised that you cannot understand something so basic? Do you think it could be because that we use a hell of a lot more electricity than most Thais do!!!

A question about insulated walls ceilings etc: don't they make it even colder in winter unless you have a heater inside?

All insulation does is SLOW DOWN the transfer of heat from the warmer side to the cooler.

So if you open up all your windows and doors to equalize the temperature with the outdoors, and then seal things up without any heat source indoors, the temperature outdoors can rise or fall without immediately changing that indoors.

If it then gets colder outside, you will be warmer inside.

But if it's warmer outside, yes you will be cooler inside.

Make sense?

Now if you're burning energy to warm or cool the indoors, the purpose of insulation of course is to prevent your desired temperature from disappearing to the outside.

The better the insulation the more efficient your use of that energy.

Running an aircon unit in a typical leaky teak house will make you feel cooler, but as soon as you turn it off thinks will heat up rapidly. And you'd be spending many times more on electric than if you had a properly sealed and insulated house.

Without any A/C, the native style house will be much more comfortable than a western-style one.

The real challenge in energy-efficient home design is to minimize the need for cooling or heating, but maximize its efficiency when it does need to be used.

Less than one in a million dwellings accomplish those two goals at the same time, definitely requires an architect that specializes in ecological design, usually practicing in the passive solar field - which isn't implemented much in Thailand.

One solution is to have a "natural living" Thai-style section next to or surrounding a western-style sealed and insulated structure, and move from one to the other as needed.

Snooooooooze.

My bill came today ... for the last eight months (starting June 2013) usage has been

537 509 594 461 472 515 337 and 266.

Three bedroom house in Nonthaburi, only us two and the live in maid there most of the time. Last few weeks have only had air con on all night once. Usually just a fan ... but sometimes put the air con on for one hour just before going to bed, bedroom windows open but curtains drawn and bathroom windows open. I think that the shower water heater 6kW has used a bit though ... even my wife has had the chill taken off the shower water on occasions. Daytime usage has been very little except for washing m/c .. step-daughter also brings a lot of her washing here on a weekly or two weekly basis ... okay as she does work a lot of hours in her job ... I suppose.

I think March and April bill was quite high though.

Have lived here full time since 2007 and Yes, I can't remember ever having a bill anywhere as low as this before.

Edited by JAS21