How much did you save on electricity this month not having to turn on the AC?

Sojuncoke

Ever wonder why new moo baans offer all these starter homes for 2-3 million baht (more in BKK)?

If you can, only lease or buy a property that has double outer brick walls (cavity air pocket in the center). then add ceiling fans in each major room (AC only in bedrooms for a couple of those extra hot nights), and rolled out insulation below the roof, and convert all halogen bulbs if you have them to low watt LED, either 220v or 220/12v. Then watch your electricty bill plummet.

We have two refrigerators, a pool (6 hours filtration per day), lots of garden lighting, and a water well. Our average monthly bill is 2400.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had a long cold season too this year in northern Thailand. My bill this month was the lowest in a long long time - 0 baht - I used less than the amount needed for a bill to kick in. During the hotter times I use the a/c and my bill is usually 300B p/m. I have an instant hot water system for the shower but I don't have a fridge. I buy all meals from the market so need for one.

it did surprise me though.

I saved around 2000 B. (in Bangkok/ Bangna)

Normally my el. invoice is around 3400 - 3500 B but just got the last invoice and it was 1450 B.

But I'm dam_n cold every morning, during the last week couldn't open the windows for night time and this morning was only 19.5 C in my bedroom. It's not so nice I don't like cold.

Some-one please help bah.gif

Edited by Loles
  • Like 1

We have had a long cold season too this year in northern Thailand. My bill this month was the lowest in a long long time - 0 baht - I used less than the amount needed for a bill to kick in. During the hotter times I use the a/c and my bill is usually 300B p/m. I have an instant hot water system for the shower but I don't have a fridge. I buy all meals from the market so need for one.

it did surprise me though.

Dear bluie3, what kind of A/C do you have which eats only 300 G p/m? I want those also.

consumption for the period dec15,2012 till jan15,2013 = 3,423kWh

consumption for the period dec15,2013 till jan15,2014 = 2,315kWh -32.4%

Dear Naam,

do you make some small factory at your home?

3423 KWh is a really huge quantity. 12 - 15 K Bath p/m?

From about 3.2-3.5 to 2,500 baht this month.

Likely offset by having to heat the shower water more and the fact I have resumed the 'afternoon tea' routine.

Jammy dodgers and fig rolls playing havoc with my waistline.

I save enough but to be honest even if i save a couple of 1000 its nice but once its summer the airco is really worth it. I see it as a bit of comfort and would not want to save too much on it. Last year i actually turned it on more often and paid a bit more and thought what a fool i was saving on aircon. The productivity i got back from being cooler was more then worth it.

Excellent point. Our first year here, we tried to not run the AC during the day. Jump in the pool, turn on the fans, and suffer. Last year, my mother moved in with us. She just can't handle the heat, so we ran the AC a lot. Bill was only 2k more and we were sooooo much more comfortable. For 2k, it was 100% worth it.

Our bill now is about 3k, normally 5.5-6k per month in the hot season. Because of the pool, water falls, garden lights, 3 refrigs, etc. Our bill will never be below 3.3k or so.

after reading what what you all or did or did not save amazes me,i believe that not one of you who built youself ,built with no cavity walls ? for the sake of a few extra bricks and labour you would now be laughing at your fellow ex-pats not only does the cavity wall keep the heat inside when cold it also keeps the house cool when hot outside,come get real anyone with a slight knowledge of building knows this, i will be building shortly and cavity walls will be well up my prority list !!

I have a large fan near the front door, blowing warm air into the house in the daytime. If I had a foot warmer under the computer desk, I'd have used that at night, but next trip back to Oz, I'll buy a pair of sheepskin 'Ugg"boots for next cold season. The track suit has come in handy.

A pity the shower does not get hot enough to want to linger, and it's on setting 10 just now.

A few more weeks and this will all be a memory. But whatever, far better than the ice and snow of Europe and the USA, or the heat waves and bush fires of Oz.

Every month,I pay ~12,500THB... without AC (I don't have AC at home) but this month, as I use heater for my 3 3months-old dogs, I should pay more...

How do you have a 12,000 baht electric bill without AC?

I usually pay around 5,000 every month. Just over 3,000 this month. I still turn the AC on in the afternoons and sleep with it on at night. During hotter months it's on 24 hours.

I have 2 big pumps for my pool on duty 14 hours per day... + heaters for shower + 3 Refrigerators + 1 freezer.... and every night, from 6.30pm to 5.30am, I have around 130 lights in my garden...

So, without AC, I use to pay 12,500 / 13,500 THB/month

Every month,I pay ~12,500THB... without AC (I don't have AC at home) but this month, as I use heater for my 3 3months-old dogs, I should pay more...

How do you have a 12,000 baht electric bill without AC?

I usually pay around 5,000 every month. Just over 3,000 this month. I still turn the AC on in the afternoons and sleep with it on at night. During hotter months it's on 24 hours.

I have 2 big pumps for my pool on duty 14 hours per day... + heaters for shower + 3 Refrigerators + 1 freezer.... and every night, from 6.30pm to 5.30am, I have around 130 lights in my garden...

So, without AC, I use to pay 12,500 / 13,500 THB/month

I would love to see a pic of your garden at night. I but it's beautiful. I have maybe 25, but would like to add about 10 more. I'm trying to do 12v lights, but a few are 220v with CFL's.

As for cavity walls, great idea! But I bought this house already built. Kinda hard to retro fit. And after doing a renovation here, I've got NO interest in a full build. 5555555

I live in the province of Buriram, my savings compared to Jan 2013 is 20%. My highest bill was in September 2013 and that was2821B. Jan 2013 was2131B and this month 1704B. A saving of 427B.

Use a lot of hot water for showers with a many of the wife's family coming in the evening taking showers as they have no water heater. With the drop in ground temperatures a lot more power is required to get a reasonable temperature, so without the hot water bills would be a lot lower.

If I had A/C throughout my 5-story shophouse, it would have cost at least B150,000 up-front investment, lasting what maybe five years if I'm lucky?

Running same would be at least B4,000 per month extra, probably more like 6 given the fact that it's hard to train young people to be conservative.

I only have air on the ground floor, and I only run it for my students during classes/tutoring sessions, if I don't have multiple computers going it's often not even necessary AFAIC, but the kids are used to it from their own homes and school, so I have to run it anyway or they'd complain.

In the living quarters upstairs we've simply never had it and don't miss it at all.

I smell cheapo

The smell may be closer to home Dear Chap.

Ever wonder why new moo baans offer all these starter homes for 2-3 million baht (more in BKK)?

Because that's the market price?

How does that relate to A/C and the price of electricity?

The builders are maximizing profits (market price) while those who buy will pay a big difference in both AC (and electricity price rate increases).

The point is those homes are never designed to be efficient, as they generally lack insulation, have out single walls which work like an oven. Hence the low entry point.

cavity walls ,cavity walls ,cavity walls you will be saving from day one when you move in keeps cool when hot outside, and warm when cold outside a winner every time !!

Couldn't agree more. Add to that quality insulation above the drop ceilings, and screened transom windows - any interior heat rises and out it goes. We use our AC in the bedrooms (only place we have it it the whole house) at the most 5 days out of the year - cool and comfortable the rest of the time.

I save enough but to be honest even if i save a couple of 1000 its nice but once its summer the airco is really worth it. I see it as a bit of comfort and would not want to save too much on it. Last year i actually turned it on more often and paid a bit more and thought what a fool i was saving on aircon. The productivity i got back from being cooler was more then worth it.

Excellent point. Our first year here, we tried to not run the AC during the day. Jump in the pool, turn on the fans, and suffer. Last year, my mother moved in with us. She just can't handle the heat, so we ran the AC a lot. Bill was only 2k more and we were sooooo much more comfortable. For 2k, it was 100% worth it.

Our bill now is about 3k, normally 5.5-6k per month in the hot season. Because of the pool, water falls, garden lights, 3 refrigs, etc. Our bill will never be below 3.3k or so.

after reading what what you all or did or did not save amazes me,i believe that not one of you who built youself ,built with no cavity walls ? for the sake of a few extra bricks and labour you would now be laughing at your fellow ex-pats not only does the cavity wall keep the heat inside when cold it also keeps the house cool when hot outside,come get real anyone with a slight knowledge of building knows this, i will be building shortly and cavity walls will be well up my prority list !!

Your point does you credit paulyao. I did this myself and drove my builder insane. The differences are exactly as you say. I would also like to add that my cavities are 75mm and filled with sheets of polystyrene. The difference in heat/cool (air con) saving is about 10 to 15% greater than just an air filled cavity.

Yeah, I agree with this. Saving 2000 baht really isn't worth it. That's about 60 something dollars. I'd rather pay it and feel comfortable.

consumption for the period dec15,2012 till jan15,2013 = 3,423kWh

consumption for the period dec15,2013 till jan15,2014 = 2,315kWh -32.4%

Dear Naam,

do you make some small factory at your home?

3423 KWh is a really huge quantity. 12 - 15 K Bath p/m?

we have a rather big home but i admit the 3,423 kWH for the 2012/2013 period was exceptionally high. my average bill is ~15,000 Baht/month and varies between 11,000 and 18,000 Baht/month. aircon share of power consumption is ~60% during the hot and ~40% during the "cool" months.

Makes little difference, never use Air con, so this cold weather = no fans on but = more clothes = more washing, if very cold switch on heaters in Ponds around 4 am.

Bill always appear to be 4,600 - 5,000 baht per month. just paid last months bill 4,940 baht. November bill 4,733 baht.

Something very odd with water bill, normal 190 - 230 baht per month, also just paid last months bill 398 baht ? think have found the reason, often have no water.. fitted 2 taps for ponds and garden direct, so not off the pump and water tank, checked water meter when no water and was spinning around...... so paying for air ?