do I need building permit outside KKC?

sirineou

Hi Guys, My wife say's we don't need a building Permit where we are, Her sister next door did not get one when she build about 7 years ago, but that does not mean anything.

Anyway we have a piece of property in .Ban Non Ruang, about 4 km outside the ring road see picture below, our property is located where the yellow pin is.

Plant to build a two floor concrete home, nothing too fancy,, Would anyone know if I would need a Building permit for that area?

post-60134-0-11971900-1390512091_thumb.j

Ask your wife to go together to talk to the Poo Yai Ban to make sure. Proper thing to do anyway. Take a bottle of whisky.

Thank you SantiSuk,

unfortunately we are both on the USA now, I will be starting a new project at my job soon and be very busy here for the next year or so,

as soon as this work related project is completed I will probably have a couple of months to come to Thailand, perhaps three.

I like to have all my ducks in a row by then 'cause I would like to at least do the basic structure, roof, and a room , bathroom and basic outside kitchen downstairs. I have already done some of the preliminary work, and have build a two meter high fence around both our and her sisters property.

So I am not concern with security .

I have asked my wife to ask her sister to find out if we need a permit, but she always tell me we don't, and not to worry. But given my farang nature I worrysmile.png

Plenty of farangs building in that area, so I think one of them will give me an answer soon, but I thank you for your good advise anyway.

Ask your wife to go together to talk to the Poo Yai Ban to make sure. Proper thing to do anyway. Take a bottle of whisky.

I believe this is the correct way to proceed.

The in laws have built 3 houses in a small village over the past few years and obtained pooyai permission each time.

Closer to civilisation permission is required from the local tessaban.

being coming to Thailand long enough to be familiar with the things Thais get away with when building , that is why I would be reluctant to buy home already build.

But with in the next 7 to 10 years I will be retiring and would need to have all my paper work in order so that I apply for a retirement visa, Though I might opt to teach and need a work permit, in which case I might go for a marriage visa, But in either case I believe I would need to have all my paperwork in order .especially as it pertains to residency papers.

I would hate to have a residency not properly represented in the registry rolls that might complicate things.

Wife says yes you need permission.

Before locals did not bother but gradually things are tightening up and while you could probably get away initially building without permission its not good for long term security.

Apparently you need to submit your house plans to the local office.

smile.png

If it is a village and not part of municipality a building permit will not be required.

My wife was village head for 5 years and that was not one of the things she had to deal with. Just giving them a house number after it was built.

If it is a village and not part of municipality a building permit will not be required.

My wife was village head for 5 years and that was not one of the things she had to deal with. Just giving them a house number after it was built.

s you can see from the picture the property is about 3 km outside the ring road , the Village name is Ban Non Ruang

But I am not sure where the KKC municipality jurisdiction ends.

I have drawn very precise building plans (I work in the commercial construction industry) my self , but my plans are not signed, and are not in the proper form

all my plans are computerized, to scale and in 3d with tolerances plus or minus a couple of CM

So I have all the information necessary yo build the structure, but not the necessary plans to file for a permit

If I did not have to I would rather not have to pay the extra expanse of having proper building plans drawn ans signed since I don't need them

and when I come to Thailand I would not have the time to do that if I need to, .That's why I am trying to get an answer now.

I appreciate all the good advice offered by everyone , and I will keep all of it in mind as I decide how to proceed.

It would great if we could hear from some one who build in that area and what their experience was in regard with my concerns., I know a few people have but I cant ask them directly.

Thamk you all again.

Are the plans in the thai style of building? Block walls , cpac post approx 3 meters, roof support by welded frame. If not you will have fun. Also plumbing is not vented (air behind water??), 3 wire electrical ( whats that green wire for ??). Your couple of cm tolerances are tight for here. Spend alot of time onsite to make sure its done to your liking. Settle on a labor cost before hand. Pay for materials yourself. Have to go thru 3 foreman before I found one that understood slope on exterior concrete and tile work. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dunno, we built and rebuilt two structures recently here, no hassle, but of course that depends on where you live. I just started an extension without any qualms, nobody cares if I finish plus or minus a meter or so, or when I finish. This is why I love Thailand. I will be helping the SIL with his new build soon, same story. Don't worry, the worst that can happen is that you pay a few thousand Baht to someone to turn a blind eye, but I doubt it.

Location plays a big part. If building near a main road or highway it's worth checking if there are any building restrictions.

We recently refurbished a building and added an extension out front. It was chanote land with plans drawn up and approved by the tessaban architect/town planning department.

They forgot a building restriction for future road widening that was not shown on the chanote.

Luckily they caught their fault before construction started. The extension was reduced 1 metre and they adjusted the plans accordingly.

If you spend the great sum to obtain the "permit to build" is will make things easier for utility connections is my experience. The name on the "permit to build" establishes ownership of the building. A signed permit to build can prove what size your house was in the event of a dispute with a home owners insurance company. You will get less delay in obtaining a "house number" once your house is complete if you have the "permit to build". What is "on the building plans" does not mean that will get built, but some sort of "plans" will make the whole process less stressful. Permit fees are the same Nationwide. Based on size and height. Less than the cost of a case of domestic premium beer for most one story houses, even some 2 story houses.

How is the fee for a building permit calculated?

How is the fee for a building permit calculated? It seems that no one can explain the process. Can someone from a local administration organization (OrBorTor) or legal advisers explain it?

Pat, Rawai Friday, January 13, 2012 2:48:17 PM

“The building permit document itself incurs a 20-baht fee and there are other fees for inspection, depending on what the building permit is for.

The inspection fee for a building of no more than two storeys or of a height up to 12 meters is 0.5 baht (50 satang) per square meter of the total building area, combining the areas of each storey if there are more than one.

For structures of two or three stories, or between 12 and 15 meters tall – the fee is 2 baht per square meter of total building area, combining the areas of each storey.

For structures of more than three stories or of heights over 15 meters, the fee is four baht per square meter of total building area, again combining the areas of each storey.

The fees I have given here are the inspection fees for new buildings only. There are different rates used for other aspects of building permits, such as in renovating a property, not building a new one.

These rates are listed in the building permit fee section in the Interior Ministry’s Ministerial Regulation Notice 7 issued in BE 2528 (1985), which updates the Building Control Act BE 2522 (1979).

A copy is available for download from the Thai Council of Engineers website at www. coe.or.th/co15law/act_control/building/L%2007.pdf

You can also visit Rawai Municipality for further information.”

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:48:17 PM Mayuree Srichuay, an officer at Rawai Municipality’s Public Works Division.

Are the plans in the thai style of building? Block walls , cpac post approx 3 meters, roof support by welded frame. If not you will have fun. Also plumbing is not vented (air behind water??), 3 wire electrical ( whats that green wire for ??). Your couple of cm tolerances are tight for here. Spend alot of time onsite to make sure its done to your liking. Settle on a labor cost before hand. Pay for materials yourself. Have to go thru 3 foreman before I found one that understood slope on exterior concrete and tile work. Good luck.

If you spend the great sum to obtain the "permit to build" is will make things easier for utility connections is my experience. The name on the "permit to build" establishes ownership of the building. A signed permit to build can prove what size your house was in the event of a dispute with a home owners insurance company. You will get less delay in obtaining a "house number" once your house is complete if you have the "permit to build". What is "on the building plans" does not mean that will get built, but some sort of "plans" will make the whole process less stressful. Permit fees are the same Nationwide. Based on size and height. Less than the cost of a case of domestic premium beer for most one story houses, even some 2 story houses.

How is the fee for a building permit calculated?

How is the fee for a building permit calculated? It seems that no one can explain the process. Can someone from a local administration organization (OrBorTor) or legal advisers explain it?

Pat, Rawai Friday, January 13, 2012 2:48:17 PM

“The building permit document itself incurs a 20-baht fee and there are other fees for inspection, depending on what the building permit is for.

The inspection fee for a building of no more than two storeys or of a height up to 12 meters is 0.5 baht (50 satang) per square meter of the total building area, combining the areas of each storey if there are more than one.

For structures of two or three stories, or between 12 and 15 meters tall – the fee is 2 baht per square meter of total building area, combining the areas of each storey.

For structures of more than three stories or of heights over 15 meters, the fee is four baht per square meter of total building area, again combining the areas of each storey.

The fees I have given here are the inspection fees for new buildings only. There are different rates used for other aspects of building permits, such as in renovating a property, not building a new one.

These rates are listed in the building permit fee section in the Interior Ministry’s Ministerial Regulation Notice 7 issued in BE 2528 (1985), which updates the Building Control Act BE 2522 (1979).

A copy is available for download from the Thai Council of Engineers website at www. coe.or.th/co15law/act_control/building/L%2007.pdf

You can also visit Rawai Municipality for further information.”

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:48:17 PM Mayuree Srichuay, an officer at Rawai Municipality’s Public Works Division.

Thank you for your interest and good advise. below is a brief video of the proposed build,

It is something that I have being working on for a while now, unfortunately I cant get enough time off from work to do anything with it.

The plans are for a classic Thai build, poured concrete, footings, beams, and and first floor slab, concrete planks and 2 inch pour for second floor slab.

AAC block for exterior walls, brick for interior walls,

I have extensive experience in the field , and a family member in Thailand with whom I have worked before and trust, non the less I need to be there, because though he would not do anything wrong on purpose, what I consider right and what he considers right are two different things.

I know that permits are not expensive, but they do require professionally drawn plans signed by an engineer, and if not necessary I rather not spend the money on that.

The plans I have are very precise in that . I know where each footing needs to be, beam placement to accommodate any wall above it, . stairs with proper riser , thread, and head clearance, Water and drain pipe placement to accommodate fixtures. All measurements are made in metric.

When I said the plans are deigned with in a couple of CM tolerances, I mean that I have the placement of each components described in my plans to with in a CM or two.,

Any way I think to have proper Plans drawn and signed would probably cost about 30,000 bht,? and as I said if I did not have to I rather not pay, but if you all think it might present a problem in the future, then it would be foolish on my part no to.

You have not priced architect plans in rural Thailand. Not even near 30K. A fraction of that. In fact it could be plans from a "book". They do not need to be signed by an engineer if not of a certain height or size is my understanding. What is on the plan turned into the department that issues "permit to build" does not have to have any real bearing on what actually gets built. But you will have a "permit to build". A Thai licensed architect charges by size to design a custom home. Think about what middle class Thai people would pay. It will not be 30K in Isaan. But a proper plan done in Thai and English will make it easier for your foreman to follow. The signature at the planning Department will be less than 700 baht unless your house is real large. Do not leave yourself "open" to a shakedown from utilities or other officials if you do not have a permit to build. I've seen it time and again where people blew off the permit to build and it cost them significantly more for bribes and delays in the future. You do not need a drivers license, car insurance, car registration either in a village. Just pay a bribe if you get caught. OR you could insure the car, you could get a Thai drivers license, you could pay the road tax. Heck some Expats do not do a 90 day report, do not get an annual Visa, up to them.

• Like 1

Have you checked out the prestamped plans on the internet? There are some good sized homes preapproved. Just google "thai house plans". Some are pdfs and some are in AutoCad format.

I recommend you follow Kamalabob's advice, re: "permit to build" does not have to have any real bearing on what actually gets built.

Use a set of pre-approved plans per Martyjustice's post for getting the permit then build from your own detailed plans. You will likely be money ahead. While you may be able to get power and water from your relative's place, at some point you will need to change over to your own services. A permit makes things smoother.

3 km off ring road is not so far from the bureaucracy. Is that T. Samran?

Edit: A full set of plans detailed to my own specs and from a local A & E firm cost me Bt 13,000

Edited by klikster
  • Like 1

Use a set of pre-approved plans per Martyjustice's post for getting the permit then build from your own detailed plans. You will likely be money ahead. While you may be able to get power and water from your relative's place, at some point you will need to change over to your own services. A permit makes things smoother.

That is a very good idea. I will look for one of the pre-approved plans that is some what similar to mine, and then build what I want. It is not like anyone will come and check.

Just to add. Once you get a building permit you will never see anyone again. They will not check on your progress, they will not check to see if the building is up to CODE laugh.png , there will be no inspections before, during or after building. You do not have to display the building permit on the site. The most you will have to do is to renew the building permit if the constructions takes you over 12 months (the the fee is negligible) and show the building permit when you apply for the Blue Book to get an official address

The only government agency I ever saw during my build was Immigration checking on the legal status of my builders employees

• Like 1