Growing calls for Thai govt to revoke decree

webfact

Growing calls for govt to revoke decree
The Nation

PDRC threatens to sue the authorities, saying reasons for imposing measure unfounded

BANGKOK: -- The government is under rising pressure as calls from the public and human-rights groups grow louder for it to scrap the imposition of the state of emergency.

People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Issara Somchai said his group would file a lawsuit to get the government to revoke the emergency decree because the protesters had not caused any violence or riots as claimed.

At least seven rights groups have issued statements against the imposition of the state of emergency, saying there were not enough grounds for the authorities to violate people's rights and take away their right to take legal action against officials who are given extra power.

The Assembly for the Defence of Democracy said imposing a state of emergency increases the risk of officials abusing their power and violates basic human rights, though the government has claimed that it needs to protect the rights of voters threatened by the PDRC protesters. The group also warned state officials to resort to the principle of proportionality in exercising their power.

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday also issued a statement opposing the government's imposition of the emergency decree, saying this was not a solution and would, in reality, increase the intensity of anti-government campaigns and rallies.

The NHRC said that though there have been some violent incidents, there was no urgency and the situation did not warrant a state of emergency that empowers security officials to arrest suspects whose constitutional rights risk being breached.

Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut expressed concern over the prospect of violence on Sunday when voters go to advance polls. "The government has chosen to use a severe law to handle domestic issues. It is a wrong strategy,'' he said.

He urged caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to immediately revoke the emergency decree, saying the protesters have been holding peaceful rallies and that there was no reason for the government to clamp down on them.

Protest leader and PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday led thousands of protesters on a march from Asoke intersection in defiance of the emergency decree.

This was his first march since the emergency decree was declared on Wednesday.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit, meanwhile, urged rights groups and the NHRC to treat the government justly, insisting that the protesters were provoking violence, laying siege to state premises, cutting water and electricity supplies and destroying state assets.

He cited the case of the protesters removing the sign at the Royal Thai Police headquarters.

"If there is no law and order, the country will be seen as a failed state,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-24

LOL another pitiful headline that is misleading, the demagogues will of course try to overturn it but the truth is it is well timed and not currently being abused, or even used to the extent of its powers and unlikely will be. Unlike 2010 when it was used to the full and violent extremes.

Is it right to ban gatherings 2 weeks before an election?

• Like 1

Yes the reasons for the SOE were unfounded. Even the government itself knows it. And as the protesters continue their non-violent action the government looks more incompetent every day.

I think the SOE was ordered by the man in Dubai so it was not unfounded.

LOL another pitiful headline that is misleading, the demagogues will of course try to overturn it but the truth is it is well timed and not currently being abused, or even used to the extent of its powers and unlikely will be. Unlike 2010 when it was used to the full and violent extremes.

Yes if need be sure why not ? the situation is at the point the SOE needed to be called and it will i hope reduce the chance of more violence in the run up to, isnt that what you would like too ?

They have already said political related election meetings will not be banned or affected, thats pretty clear to me.

• Like 1

Yes if need be sure why not ? the situation is at the point the SOE needed to be called and it will i hope reduce the chance of more violence in the run up to, isnt that what you would like too ?

They have already said political related election meetings will not be banned or affected, thats pretty clear to me.

Sorry Oak, you're clutching at straws. Anyone can walk anywhere in Bangkok at any time, as usual.

The emergency decree is not going to stop the lone grenade thrower or the occasional car that winds down its window and shoots at a guard.

It's a massive overreaction which will damage the economy as already mebtioned by several sectors in the economy.

Another Pheua Thai blunder.

• Like 2

How are political parties supposed to campaign if they are not allowed to gather their supporters?

• Like 1

"Growing calls for govt to revoke decree"

This headline implies a momentum shift of pro-coup and anti-electoral sentiment. But when one reads the substance, there is no evidence of it......These so-called 'growing calls" are merely a listing of PAD-Dem sympathetic groups voicing what one would expect from PAD-Dem groups....And yes, that includes the NHRC....Agree or not, this entity is seen as being in the camp of the anti-democrats. Its' leader is seen as an AV admirer and consistently takes positions reflective of such associations....At least according to the UDD.RS's.

Besides, it makes about as much sense to revoke a just-issued emergency decree, as delaying an election.....It only makes sense when one considers the source of these things. Being either directly or indirectly associated with the PAD-Dem's, one would expect them to pre-emptively object to the pro-democratic and pro-electoral Govt. actions, or afterward.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

How are political parties supposed to campaign if they are not allowed to gather their supporters?

what is so hard to grasp ? im not repeating it again

I do so love living in Thailand because it makes me laugh.

Thailand is great entertainment.
And the feature performance today is at the constitutional court titled "shall we postpone the election " staring Yingluck and Somchai.
  • Like 1

Sorry Oak, you're clutching at straws. Anyone can walk anywhere in Bangkok at any time, as usual.

The emergency decree is not going to stop the lone grenade thrower or the occasional car that winds down its window and shoots at a guard.

It's a massive overreaction which will damage the economy as already mebtioned by several sectors in the economy.

Another Pheua Thai blunder.

yeesh dont talk to me about if it will actually stop or help anything but i think it will......... i just think it was inevitable and the right time to call it, you want it calmer or more volatile out there ? if it stops one group of idiots out there throwing bangers or shooting guns making maybe protest guards on edge and maybe an incident with someone becuase of the tension

I like BKK and i like the people i do not wish to see anyone hurt so if it helps to stops some people making trouble or escalating things im happy with it.

Yes the reasons for the SOE were unfounded. Even the government itself knows it. And as the protesters continue their non-violent action the government looks more incompetent every day.

The reason for the SOE is completely founded if you are on the ship of this caretaker government. The reason is so strong that the 'captain' wanted to abandon ship several times...giggle.gif

• Like 1

Removing a sign from a police headquarters. Yes, that's certainly sufficient to declare a state of emergency. It should be a comedy.

On the other hand at the least the government isn't as heavy handed as the Ukrainian government, yet.

On a different note, love the decree that news outlets can't publish facts that the government might object to, that might cause moral disquiet or unrest. I would guess that is aimed at preventing publication about any of the NACC findings or the rice farmer unrest. What's not clear to me is whether it extends to the government being able to force the news media to publish lies or just prevent publication of facts they don't like.

• Like 1

There is a very obvious reason! It is to keep the farmers from coming to Bangkok.

• Like 1

what is so hard to grasp ? im not repeating it again

Look it's either in place or Not, you cannot have an order on this scale unless it is adhered to, to say you can do this and you cannot do that -it's ok this time as long as you ??? <deleted>. on some occasions you can have a gathering of 4/5 on others cannot.

This message is so misleading, is it good to have a loose version of SOE. ridiculous.

whistling.gif In every protest against any law there comes a time when if a high enough percentage of the people simply refuse to obey that law, the government or police can not for all practical purposes enforce that law.

This is simply because with enough opposition, the resources need to continue to enforce that law are just to much for the enforcers to continue on that path.

I'm not saying that the situation in Thailand is at that point yet .... but there will be a time when that point may be reached.

When that "tipping point" is reached the game is all over.

Whether or not it comes to that "tipping point" in Thailand I just can't say.

Historical example.

In the U.S. during the Vietnam war, as opposition grew against the war, it became more and more difficult for any democratically elected government to continue with the effort to keep the war going.

Once the percentage of those opposed to continuing the war passed that "tipping point" whatever government was elected then had no choice but to find a "face-saving" way of ending the war.

Forget whatever excuses the government made up to justify their actions afterward.

I was there, and I saw it happen.

The financial, material, and political costs of supporting a corrupt South Vietnamese government were to great for the U.S to bear, and they simply gave up because the effort to continue was more than they could handle.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit

"If there is no law and order, the country will be seen as a failed state,''

His only worry is how Thailand looks in the eyes of farangs...farang power!

They'll just follow the guidelines of the Thai education system, nobody fails. Was everyone else under the impression that Thailand was brimming with law and order before? You can kill a police officer in Thailand with a Ferrari and not even get a speeding ticket. 18 coup attempts in 81 years. Almost 2300 people killed during the war on drugs and no one held accountable. What do you really think the rest of the world should think of Thailand? There are many reasons for the international community to see Thailand in a less than favorable light. A few people with whistles are a drop in the bucket.

• Like 1

For 'Growing Calls', read a few blokes I met in a wine bar spending their fat expense accounts from unelected QANGOs told me they don't like it.

who would have been really happy when the police threw them all in jail because their was more than 5 of them.

The Government has full authority to treat all Falang, and Poor Thais like sh.t

They where elected by a Thai majority so are above the law

if you want proof, read many posting by members of this site who will tell you so

You just stumbles on another court action

any election can not be legal if the people freedom has been taken away

Just watch the courts will be full of legal argument for months after any election that is a farce

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit

PTP really take this whole reform issue seriously, they have a convicted criminal for a leader, a convicted criminal for a spokesman,the party as a whole is facing expusion and the answer, as usual, from Thaksin is to make sure his nephew is in line to take over. No need for reform here, more family members still available.

• Like 1

Indeed, there is no justification for this illegal caretaker imposition of the emergency decree, other than for the administration to now assume control of the media. Prompong confirms yet again - that Pheu Thai has total amnesia regarding the UDD's behavior at Ratchaprason, but complete recall when it comes to inventing a fictional narrative for today's events.