What internet security does everyone use?

vistana

Our Kaspersky internet security is due for renewal next week but it is not now supported in Thailand, when we click on the renew button it takes us to Kaspersky in America and a renewal price of nearly $70.... over 2,000 baht.

Plus they have closed the Thailand support office and phone number, so now if you have a problem its a call to the USA.

Not keen on Nortons or Mcafee as they seem to use a lot of system resources.

Can any one recommend a good internet protection which does not use a lot of system resources and also has a Thai based help/support phone number.... and a more reasonable price

We have thought of NOD..... any comments on this product?

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu.

win 7 with a big partition and I dont log in as administrator. I Just use it for trash with free AVG anti virus and Re Image it every couple of months.

when doing banking or stuff which i want security i switch over to Ubuntu on a small partition.

Not very business Practical but I only really use it for email, browsing and stock charting software.

Edited by eeeya
  • Like 1

I've used AVG free for many years on both PC's and Android devices. Rarely if ever have any issues. I also run Panda Internet scan and Spybot occasionally as a belt and braces approach. All free products.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have only used CCleaner. It is worth also to use Panda and Spybot?

I hear Microsoft security essentials (free) works well for personal use. A lot of people have complained about recent versions of AVG

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

I also recommend Windows Security Essentials. Low overhead and no cost.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

• Like 1

If you're using windows you get one for free, and its good.

AVG was usually near the bottom of comparative performance reviews, but I gave up looking at them once MSE started getting the thumbs up. Seriously, you don't need to pay for anything.

Also worth thinking about installing noscript.

We don't have any security, beside that it isn't allowed to download, or install anything from the internet, or pug in USB sticks.

we had 3 infections in 10 years:

1 caused by an infected usb stick plugged in by staff

1 by an infected usb stick from a customer that I plugged in

1 by starting an infected software from the internet by myself

So on the match on how is the bigger idiot boss or staff, I am leading 2:1

We have an old laptop offline for plugging in dirty usb sticks.

Up until yesterday I was using Microsoft security essentials but strange things have happened along the way so I just wasn't sure, I've got Kaspersky internet security installed at present and I've used this before with good result. I get Nortons free from work but I've had problems with them as well. You can get the lesser Kaspersky for $30 plus, so that may be an option or as people have said the free virus checkers.

We don't have any security, beside that it isn't allowed to download, or install anything from the internet, or pug in USB sticks.

you are on the internet now. How do you know you haven't been compromised if you don't run any security software? The bad guys are pretty clever these days and can load stuff without you even being aware of it. See the pop up ads? they are loading on to your pc as we speak. Do you really know what they are? Or are not?.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

you are on the internet now. How do you know you haven't been compromised if you don't run any security software? The bad guys are pretty clever these days and can load stuff without you even being aware of it. See the pop up ads? they are loading on to your pc as we speak. Do you really know what they are? Or are not?.

I don't have any pop up ads....

My CPU is almost always at zero % usage and I know all the processes that are running. I frequently load the latest updates on the OS.

I never heard from a single case of someone get a virus by simply being on the internet. All cases I ever knew where people clicking on something funny, installing something.

opening the attachment seksigirls.exe etc etc.

I use Bitdefender which is not particularly cheap but has always had top reviews. It's all very well people saying they have never had a problem but there computer could could be part of a botnet without them knowing Modern viruses tend to be transparent to the user because they either want.to use your data or your computer and are not going to let you know they are there. Also ransomeware is becoming a lot more common and if you get that on your computer it could cost you 300 quid to get rid of it. Bitdefender does protect against this. For those who backup to external discs by the way ransomeware will find your backups (unless you back up to the cloud).

I personally think paying for extra protection is always worth it

• Like 2

I use Norton, AdAware, Malaware, SuperAntispyware, CCleaner, ESET online, TrendMicro Housecall (on line) and I run them often. Windows Defender is de-activated, but it is good from what I understand (Windows-Microsoft/Skype work hand in hand with the gov't etc). I had one infection that was in the router (Huawei) furnished by 3B that took an line help over a period of a week to clean up. Still don't know where it came from. I run Norton Quick Clean several times a day to get rid of cookies etc. Yea, I'm a bit paranoid, then again I had the US gov't pay my phone bill so they could listen back in the 70's. Nothing you or I do can keep the gov't out if that is what you worry about, just do the best you can to make it difficult for any spy/malware/virus. Unless you understand computer codes, functions etc. can do it yourself and/or are willing to pay for top of the line commercial programs (backdoors?) the free stuff is as good as you or I need or can probably use.

My CPU is almost always at zero % usage and I know all the processes that are running. I frequently load the latest updates on the OS.

I never heard from a single case of someone get a virus by simply being on the internet. All cases I ever knew where people clicking on something funny, installing something.

These days simply being directed to an infected site will be sufficient to load you computer with malware which won't necessarily show up as a process.

if u only need to browse the internet safely and not need to use windows based internet software simultaneously, Linux is highly recommended. virtually immune to bugs and free. many different versions. great for youtube. generally faster than windows. can always install linux as 2nd os and either choose which one at start up or run one inside the other with virtualization software.

osx is another good option

These days simply being directed to an infected site will be sufficient to load you computer with malware which won't necessarily show up as a process.

never had any problems with both Firefox and Chrome. But I don't be on warez or naked girls pages as well it is forbidden for our staff to use internet for anything not job related.

We never used Internet Explorer...maybe that saved us from some potential problems. Anyhow mostly I am on Newspaper webpages.

For emails we only use Thunderbird.

We don't install any software that we don't need.

We use WinXP and Win7. We tried Linux but it didn work well.

I guess these restrictions are saving us.

I've been using AVG free in Thailand for over six years now and never had an issue. It's my opinion (I'm not an expert) that all anti-virus software is pretty much the same and the vast majority of viruses, spyware, malware cases are down to user error. I think people override the anti-virus and open an attachment or run a program themselves, despite the on-screen warning, not because the anti-virus software missed it.

I use Avast, it's free and excellent! Been using it for a few years and no problem. .

Another vote for Avast (free version). A few years ago I switched from Avira and AVG as the scans always seemed to find too many false positives. My wife uses Avast and it's been fantastic as it blocks all the Thai webpages that are infected with "drive by" viruses.

I switched to Linux Mint and Puppy Linux and run ClamAV every three months. No infection ever.

I used AVG free for many years but changed to Windows Security Essentials about six months ago because AVG was really slowing boot up time. A few weeks later a computer guru at making a presentation at Pattaya Expats Club endorsed same product as being good. Have had no issues with it and it is not memory hungry.