Survey: Most Thais will go to vote, oppose coup

webfact

Survey: Most Thais Will Go To Vote, Oppose Coup
By Kkaosod English.

BANGKOK: -- A survey has claimed that a vast majority of Thai population plans to cast their votes in 2 February snap election.

The survey, named Bangkok Poll as it was conducted by research centre of Bangkok University, interviews 1,018 respondents over the age of 18 from "every region" of the nation.

To the question "If the election is still held on 2 February election, will you exercise your voting rights?", the 79.6% of those surveyed answered yes, while 9.9% answered no, and the other 10.5% said they were not sure.

The result came at a time when anti-government protesters led by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) intensified their campaigns to oust Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and scrap the 2 February election.

The PCAD demands that an unelected "People′s Council" be established and implement series of reforms before any election can take place.

However, according to the survey conducted by Bangkok Poll, only 28.1% said they want to see "reform before election", while a majority of 51.5% believed the election should go ahead as planned.

But the survey also pointed to the apathy displayed by many political parties toward the 2 February election, as 49.3% of the respondents acknowledged that they had only seen vote-canvassing banners on streets but not candidates physically campaigning for votes.

Another 16.1% said they had not seen any vote-canvassing activity at all, and only 4.9% said they had seen enthusiastic vote-canvassing campaign by candidates.

Nevertheless, 47% of respondents said their determination to participate in the 2 February election is not affected by the ongoing political crisis, while the other 52.6% responded that the crisis have influenced their decisions.

In the latter group, 34.3% said they would wait and see if there would be violence before they decide to cast their ballots, and 18.3% said the crisis has dissuaded them from going to the election altogether.

Asked whether the military should stage a coup to resolve the increasingly violent political confrontation, a majority of 56% opposed the coup, but 21.6% said they would welcome it, while 22.4% said they were undecided about the matter.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1EVTBOamMzT1E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-24

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go on record and suggest turn-out will be much lower than the poll. Maybe JT can do a Poll about the Poll?

Well upcountry you get 500 Baht for the vote....Husband, Wife, 4 grandparents, 2 grown up kids=4000 Baht.....not bad money

Trouble is, in Thailand, if you don't vote in an election, you loose your right to vote in the following, or at least, that is what the uneducated, in the North are made to believe here. I wouldn't count on it being true, but people up here believe it is, so of course, they will vote, because they think, they will loose there voting privileges for the future, if they don't vote in this election. wai2.gif

• Like 1

bkkjames, on 24 Jan 2014 - 14:55, said:bkkjames, on 24 Jan 2014 - 14:55, said:

I will go on record and suggest turn-out will be much lower than the poll. Maybe JT can do a Poll about the Poll?

On the contrary, I believe that more people will turn-out so they can cast a NO vote as to make these elections null and void.

Assuming that there will be an election...........

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

On the contrary, I believe that more people will turn-out so they can cast a NO vote as to make these elections null and void.

Keep dreaming.

Trouble is, in Thailand, if you don't vote in an election, you loose your right to vote in the following, or at least, that is what the uneducated, in the North are made to believe here. I wouldn't count on it being true, but people up here believe it is, so of course, they will vote, because they think, they will loose there voting privileges for the future, if they don't vote in this election. wai2.gif

And if youdon't vote for the "right" candidate, huge loss of face and the threat of danger awaits you, as you all know the ballot box isn't really secret and big brother is always watching you vote. Intimidation is such an effective tool.

• Like 2

If it were me and I felt that holding the election under the SOE is wrong, I would not vote at all - Even voting NO shows you approve of the election

Will be interesting to see anyway what happens later today, and in the coming days.

• Like 1

I wonder what the average price of a vote will be. The poll should have asked them the minimum price they would be willing to sell their votes for and without factoring in this critical aspect the poll would be meaningless. . Respondents are probably naively assuming they will be paid the same as last time but political parties are likely to pay less, given the uncertainties of a definitive result and lack of opposition. Lower prices could lead to a lower voter turn-out

Edited by Dogmatix

And it's not true as the most rudimentary research could have shown.

If you fail to vote, you lose the rights to stand in an election, to sign a petition to recall an elected representative or to sign a petition to propose legislation. These rights are automatically restored as you as you do vote.

The poll also concluded a point of unanimous assent among Thais. 100 % thought Khaosod to be an absolutely putrid publication.

Yes, lacking the objectivity and cutting journalism of the Nation 555

• Like 1

I wonder what the average price of a vote will be. The poll should have asked them the minimum price they would be willing to sell their votes for and without factoring in this critical aspect the poll would be meaningless. . Respondents are probably naively assuming they will be paid the same as last time but political parties are likely to pay less, given the uncertainties of a definitive result and lack of opposition. Lower prices could lead to a lower voter turn-out

For the Chiang Mai Municipal Elections, the Reds where paying 800 Baht per person, in the voting district by Gym Kanna Golf Course. I know that for a fact!

With no Democrats running and this election most likely being annulled right after, one would have to be stupid to pay people, but maybe they will, just to "show" people, how popular they are laugh.png

• Like 1

And it's not true as the most rudimentary research could have shown.

If you fail to vote, you lose the rights to stand in an election, to sign a petition to recall an elected representative or to sign a petition to propose legislation. These rights are automatically restored as you as you do vote.

Like I said, the poor people in the North, are deceived to believe, that they won't get to vote next time, if they don't vote. It's not hard, to pull the wool over someone's eyes, if they don't know the process.

The poll also concluded a point of unanimous assent among Thais. 100 % thought Khaosod to be an absolutely putrid publication.

Let's be frank, posting Khaosod as a source really devalues any debate on this forum. I wouldn't actually be surprised that it's owned by Shins Corporation. That sums up their impartiality and objectivity.

Most Thais will go to vote. OK. They did not address the issue. Will the election be successful or fail? As things stand the election will fail and Thai tax payer money will be wasted once again by greedy and utterly incompetent and ignorant individuals who are in charge of current Thai government.

Edited by Mackie

What? Whats a "no" vote? You understand how an election works right? Its not a referendum.

• Like 1