Whats with Bangkok Airways now?

teemuj

It's very normal IMO to dry/wet-lease aircraft, from other airlines, to meet a medium-term need until new planes ordered-from-the-manufacturer are delivered.

Thai Airways were operating B777-300s owned by Jet Airways, for the past couple of years, although I believe they've now been returned.

Nok Air also used to lease-in extra aircraft, to cover the busy winter-season here, returning them pre-Easter to their owners.

IME charter airlines in Europe often fly double the hours in the summer, that they do in the winter, and therefore also try to lease-out some of their aircraft in winter.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's very normal IMO to dry/wet-lease aircraft, from other airlines, to meet a medium-term need until new planes ordered-from-the-manufacturer are delivered.

Thai Airways were operating B777-300s owned by Jet Airways, for the past couple of years, although I believe they've now been returned.

Nok Air also used to lease-in extra aircraft, to cover the busy winter-season here, returning them pre-Easter to their owners.

IME charter airlines in Europe often fly double the hours in the summer, that they do in the winter, and therefore also try to lease-out some of their aircraft in winter.

The Jet Airways 777 planes which Thai airways wetleased are indeed returned and are now flying for Turkish Airlines on the IST - BKK route. ( and some other routes )

• Like 1

Most probably they have an aircraft or 2 having a C or D maintenance check, hence leasing an aircraft to cover this.

Would the lease of the aircraft also include the crew? I flew on the Bulgarian airlines plane in December and the crew were also Bulgarian. I was very surprised too at this, - that Bangkok Air would use a Bulgarian plane.

Most probably they have an aircraft or 2 having a C or D maintenance check, hence leasing an aircraft to cover this.

Would the lease of the aircraft also include the crew? I flew on the Bulgarian airlines plane in December and the crew were also Bulgarian. I was very surprised too at this, - that Bangkok Air would use a Bulgarian plane.

Depends on the type of lease.

Wet leased normally includes also the (core) crew of the airline.

For example, the Jet Airways planes wet leased to Turkish airlines flies with at least 1 Indian Pilot and 1 Indian Cabin Crew chef.

The rest of the plane are staffed by Turkish Airlines employees.

I know we are not supposed to correct English spelling, but the airline of Bhutan is Druk Air not Drug Air - a significant correction.

Edited by bra