Pressies for a farang monk

Showbags

What can you take a farang monk for a pressy....not interested in them orange buckets full of crap.

I was thinking a loaf of locally made fresh rye bread, a slab of butter and a bottle of strawberry jam, the good stuff, not Tesco crap.

Would that be suitable.

I know someone else that goes to see him and takes starbucks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Classic dilemma what do you give the man who has everything?

Donation in his name to a worthy charity?

Maybe ask him if there's something he would like that would help him along his path to enlightenment?

enjoying the food is indulging in pleasures/desires of the flesh (from their perspective), and is against what they're supposed to be doing as a monk.

Sort of like owning an iPhone, shopping in malls, looking at women, thinks of this nature?

Op, I suggest a six-pack and packet of crisps. wink.png

• Like 2

Well he has been a monk for 30 plus years and I would think quite serious about it now.

He has written books also.

Don't want to rock up with just rice n shit like that. Gotta be different.

I thought a heater...but he don't have electricity...apparently.

• Like 1

Well he has been a monk for 30 plus years and I would think quite serious about it now.

He has written books also.

Don't want to rock up with just rice n shit like that. Gotta be different.

I thought a heater...but he don't have electricity...apparently.

If originally from the uk , you could get him copies of the daily mail or the Sun and 2 litres of cheap cider ?

Come on, this monk stuff is serious business and I want to do it right and not offend as he can abuse me, or curse me, in a language I understand, rather than just the gibberish that goes in one era and out the other.

I had thought about the newspapers....but he reads and writes thai fluently, so guess he reads the local papers and is not so interested in life back home.

Lots of jokes here...

What about bringing him some books? I suggest books about Sanskirt and Pali languages, or the history of India and the origins of Buddhism in India.

He must have plenty of time to read

Simon

I once asked a monk what to bring. He replied "not candles" since they have more of them than they know what to do with. Bring small cartons of fruit juice. Many monks' diets are poor and deficient in vitamin C. Make a donation for electricity and/or water. Most people donate money for charitable work, rather than for the necessities of life.

Come on, this monk stuff is serious business and I want to do it right and not offend as he can abuse me, or curse me, in a language I understand, rather than just the gibberish that goes in one era and out the other.

I had thought about the newspapers....but he reads and writes thai fluently, so guess he reads the local papers and is not so interested in life back home.

Abuse you...???.... A Roman Catholic Buddhist ? Never heard of one of these before

Fruit...good idea, not juice as he is apparently on a health kick.

Books good also, but how do I know what he already has and read, presume he has read a lot of whats about.

Fruit is generally not a good idea for a couple of reasons: (1) it doesn't keep very well, and (2) there are complex rules about which fruit a monk may eat. One of which is that all fruit and vegetables containing fertile seeds are forbidden, so no apples, oranges, melons, &c.. The juices, however are acceptable.

Go for the fruit juice - the small cartons in six or eight packs. You're unlikely to go wrong. And if you do get it wrong, then the temple will donate the unsuitable ones to needy local people.

(What I didn't mention to avoid complicating the situation is that there are some fruit juices which are only suitable before midday, but others are suitable for any time of day.)

Whatever you give will be appreciated.

The problem with the fruit juices is he does not like all the rubbish in them, any junk or manufactured foods like that, full of sugars and preservatives and very little goodness....so I did not want to get that stuff....wanted to get something different and wholesome.

The problem with the fruit juices is he does not like all the rubbish in them, any junk or manufactured foods like that, full of sugars and preservatives and very little goodness....so I did not want to get that stuff....wanted to get something different and wholesome.

white brown rice ?

Edited by speedtripler