Northeast farmers now threaten to blockade Friendship Highway

Lite Beer

My mum told me once, if it sounds too good to be true, it ain't.

It really was a lovely idea Yingduck had, trying to lift the farmers out of their lot in life and make them look and feel more equal to the white pill swallowing crowd in BKK, with x2 price for crops, new car rebates and tablets for the kids, just like the BKK hi-so kids have.

Unfortunately, there's more to lifting them out of it than a new 4 door VIGO and an IPad. This idea, this attempt, shows the simplicity (and stupidity) of Yingluck but, if not that, demonstrates her understanding of how simplistic up-country Thais are.

It's about educating your kids to advance the family into another "class", over a generation or two, not in 1 or 2 years. It's about teaching them manners, and chewing food with your mouth closed, and a bit of education and sophistication that owning an IPad alone, just can't buy you.

Changes like this don't happen when you hand out material goods and free money in a year or two. Not in this country or any other. It happens with education, travel, and exposure to the world outside.

Thailand is an agricultural county and a vacuum that knows little of the outside world, and often has no interest in it, but seems to pretend otherwise. I live in lower Issan, and frankly these are some of the best folks I've ever met, within this context, but they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about when I talk about things outside of Thailand. Trying to shoe-horn them into equality, without a solid footing, is a fool's errand.

Nice idea, Yingluck, but IMHO, your effort was shallow and too much cart before the horse.

Do you insist that the locals call you Bwana?

Do they carry you around like this?

black-bloc-chris-hedges.jpg

or like this?

JohnAldenLloydHyde_Hyde-in-rickshaw.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photos on facebook now of a huge line of farmer pickups heading from Korat to BKK.

Asia Rd will be blocked again tomorrow at Lopburi by farmers from the central region.

Farmer power is coming to town and this time it isn't to vote for PT.

You see how stupid these farmers are. Blocking the roads is not going to get the money needed to pay them. It does nothing. They just have to wait until the government can take the money from one pot and put it in another. Or if the government lose the vote or CC disqualifies them let Suthep pay the bill.

Yes we see how stupid the farmers are. They were the backbone of the vote getting this government in. Can't get much stupider than that.whistling.gif

Instead of seeing how dumbthumbsup.gif a post you can make explain why the government did not pay them when the money was due.

Yingluck had not dissolved the house then. The protest had nothing to do with it.

All the politicians were receiving their pay checks on time.wai.gif

You see how stupid these farmers are. Blocking the roads is not going to get the money needed to pay them. It does nothing. They just have to wait until the government can take the money from one pot and put it in another. Or if the government lose the vote or CC disqualifies them let Suthep pay the bill.

Nice one, even for you that's pushing the bounds of stupidity.

So the farmers are stupid and they should just starve while they wait for their money that the wise and all knowing Govt very obviously hasn't got

What has Suthep got to do with the rice pledging scam ?

If anyone should pay its Thaksin he is the one who thought up the scam, "Thaksin thinks PT acts", remember

As I have said previously, don't confuse all the blinkered red lovers with facts, or ask for any justification of the ridicules statements that are made - it just encourages more of the same rubbish.

• Like 1

It really was a lovely idea Yingduck had, trying to lift the farmers out of their lot in life and make them look and feel more equal to the white pill swallowing crowd in BKK, with x2 price for crops, new car rebates and tablets for the kids, just like the BKK hi-so kids have.

Unfortunately, there's more to lifting them out of it than a new 4 door VIGO and an IPad. This idea, this attempt, shows the simplicity (and stupidity) of Yingluck but, if not that, demonstrates her understanding of how simplistic up-country Thais are.

It's about educating your kids to advance the family into another "class", over a generation or two, not in 1 or 2 years. It's about teaching them manners, and chewing food with your mouth closed, and a bit of education and sophistication that owning an IPad alone, just can't buy you.

Changes like this don't happen when you hand out material goods and free money in a year or two. Not in this country or any other. It happens with education, travel, and exposure to the world outside.

Thailand is an agricultural county and a vacuum that knows little of the outside world, and often has no interest in it, but seems to pretend otherwise. I live in lower Issan, and frankly these are some of the best folks I've ever met, within this context, but they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about when I talk about things outside of Thailand. Trying to shoe-horn them into equality, without a solid footing, is a fool's errand.

Nice idea, Yingluck, but IMHO, your effort was shallow and too much cart before the horse.

or like this?

Well generally you have a response with a little bit of thought behind it. I take it from your lack of thinking for a response that you agree with 55Jay.

Congratulations you are starting to get the idea of what is wrong with the country. Lack of education I have always known to be a huge factor and that is why I help with the kids education hands on not through a NGO that takes half the money for their overhead. I pay it right to the school. I knew that there was little being taught about the out side world but I did not realize how important it was until I read 55Jay post. Get off your high horse and think about the welfare of the people.

They are desperate. They are in debt. They have not been paid for 4 months. They have seen promise after promise broken. They have seen those who claim to represent them betray them and destroy their export industry. Their protest solves little but gets them the publicity they feel their plight deserves. What else can they do?

Grow more rice whistling.gif

Ah, wow. That's cold.

Stupid would be a more apt description.

Edited by Artisi

And ofcourse the farmers, who put PTP in power are the right persons to bring them down!

But don't confuse this protest with support for Sutheps undemocratic "peoples council", who want to take the votingrights away from the very same farmers!

What the poor rural/urban need is either a PTP without the Shins and their cronies or a complete new party to represent them, and bring an end to the feudal system!

High time for a redistribution of wealth in Thailand!!coffee1.gif

He ho, what's going on? We're getting closer in our oppinions, Soi41!

I beg to differ on your oppinion about Khun Suthep and his hopes for the future, but else...

Certainly the Dems will not make much inroads in the North and Northeast, too much have they been depicted as the bad people. But other parties, maybe the likes of the Chidchobs or Banharns, can gain on the demise of the Taksinistas.

The PTP? No, unlikely to skip Taksin right now, so most of them will "drown" together with him, maybe into businesses, where a lot of corruption money can also be made.

For a new party I think it's to short-term. And who with money would be interested? Let's not forget money, lots of it, is needed to run a political party.

So when elections will come round, maybe in summer or so, I could imagine we get the good old coalition of 3 to 5 parties to form a government.

Just a thought but a coalition is what we had with Abhist. It severely limited what he wanted to do and at the same time allowed the many of the old time trough feeders to stay at the trough. The corruption under Abhist was held to the level it had risen to under the preceding two governments and once he was out it proceeded to rise again. For this the democrats were called corrupt even though much of it was being done by there partners. Yes I said much not all. Also I am not dreaming about the 1990's I am talking about the actions while they were in power.

The present government had only the Democrats against all the other parties. They were also the only ones not at the trough. They were the only ones the PTP attacked with Mickey Mouse charges. All the other coalition parties had joined forces with the PTP.

The Democrats alone stood against the PTP. while the other parties sided with the PTP so I am not exactly sure that these other parties will make a difference in a coalition government. So far they have been aligned with a majority government that has seen corruption rise. Do you think with out the PTP they will change their way's. Seems to me it would make more sense to put in some checks and balances before giving any one a chance to continue the frenzy of feeding at the trough.

As I say just a thought. But it is based on facts.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Just a thought but a coalition is what we had with Abhist. ....

You should look a bit further back. At least since Pa Prem was PM in the 80s there had always been a coalition to govern. A look at Wikipedia might give more information about the governments since 1932, but my guess is, it were mostly if not all coalitions.

That made governing of Thailand so relatively difficult ans slow to progress, as all partners had to agree (and gotten their piece of the cake), before anything could go on. I left out the military rulers here, though, they didn't need a parliament.

That is also the "secret" behind Taksins' success: He didn't have to compromise with other coalition partners. So he ordered and it was undertaken. Classical example is Suvarnaphumi Airport. The designs had been in the drawer for at least 30 years, but the cake was so big, coalitions could not (or dared not to) deal with it. Now don't forget, the airport did cost 1,350 million Baht, of which 45% is said to be gone into private pockets, first of all Taksin.

Now let's see, what the next few days will bring. PTP is focussing exclusively on where to find money to appease the farmers. And don't anybody think Taksin will jump in and provide some of his private money. It's not enough and the saying goes, that 'profits are privatized, but debts are socialized',- not the other way 'round...

Scandalous that the finance minister didn't prepare better for this situation which was already a problem in October before the protests were triggered by the Amnesty Bill. Farmers are forced to sell their IOUs at a discount or borrow at usurous rates from loan sharks, meaning that their effective selling prices are at the market price or less and they have no benefit from the rice pledging scheme and might have decided to do other work to make more money, rather than produce low quality rice. All since the farmers have to spend any money they get in immediately, this delay has taken a huge chunk of aggregate demand out of the economy which damages government finances even further due to lack of VAT and other taxes the income could have generated.

At the end of the day most of the benefit from the scheme has gone to already wealthy middle men and politicians who have a high propensity to save and buy imported luxury goods, neither of which creates any trickle down effect for the Thai economy.

Thaksin has been successful in dividing a nation, stripping assets and causing mayhem. A total joke of a situation. Good riddance when it finally happens that Thailand sees the end of the Shin cancer.

Thaksin, Thaksin, Thaksin... cronies, cronies... lord, can you guys come up with something original?

How interesting - now YOU label farmers stupid. And you say 'they just have to wait', what a nice attitude. Then you mention move money from one pot to another - never mind this probably raises legal and morals questions. Then you basically suggest that if pt loses the vote then ignore any responsibility to the farmers (who trusted you until recently) and leave it to suthep to take care of the farmers.

How interesting.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Thaksin has been successful in dividing a nation, stripping assets and causing mayhem. A total joke of a situation. Good riddance when it finally happens that Thailand sees the end of the Shin cancer.

Thaksin, Thaksin, Thaksin... cronies, cronies... lord, can you guys come up with something original?

It's just as much true and to the point as your lot Suthep, Suthep, Suthep, ....thugs, thugs, thugs,.

Oh, I forgot "thugs" is nowhereman's pet word..

Maybe put the lot of 'em on a barge and kick it out to sea.

Do some further research / further reading then you just might understand why the 'name' continues to come up regularly!

Why didn't the idiotic Dems not register for the election? They would have won a landslide!!coffee1.gif

Because this will only get worse,

and they believe this will be more clear to more people with a delay

and then those newly angered people will get a fairer vote in May after reforms.

The Dems will run in the election, but let's see who else is viable in a 2 months.

We may be in for some surprises still to come.

It's just as much true and to the point as your lot Suthep, Suthep, Suthep, ....thugs, thugs, thugs,.

Yeah well, he is one of the few though and even though he uses the term quite often (which is also an apt description of Suthep's followers) I see more Suthep wing-nut supporters here using the words "crony" and "puppet" as they were the only two words in their entire vocabulary. The fact that these terms could also be applied to the democrat party members such as Abhisit and Suthep have totally eluded these people.

Usually Thais like to make comments like that but it seems that the western counterparts are quick to follow that routine. Quite amusing to be honest.

Edited by maxme

Who would've thought that rice would bring this country down? Once the pride and strength of the country has now brought it to its knees. Only something as pure as the staple of the nation grown from its own soil and tended by the blood and sweat of the people can bring out the false hopes, crude manipulation and corruption by their own brethren. Couldn't have written a better book about this.

Who's afraid of the anti government protests when you have an army of farmers marching to the beat one drum towards the capital. Go farmers.

It is not rice that brought Thailand down but a sniveling power hungry criminal on the run. What I like is that the red supporters are not here talking up how successful the program has been and will be. GK where are you at.

• Like 1

Yeah well, he is one of the few though and even though he uses the term quite often (which is also an apt description of Suthep's followers) I see more Suthep wing-nut supporters here using the words "crony" and "puppet" as they were the only two words in their entire vocabulary. The fact that these terms could also be applied to the democrat party members such as Abhisit and Suthep have totally eluded these people.

Usually Thais like to make comments like that but it seems that the western counterparts are quick to follow that routine. Quite amusing to be honest.

Well perhaps you could show an example, with a post which contains detailed and specific discussion.

Instead of selling to person who mills it and stores it, it seems to me a co-op owned by the farmers, would be a better option. Not only would they get a better price on their produce but a lower price on seed and fertilizer.

The mafia probably would not allow it.

They had these co-ops before the rice pledging scheme but they went out of business as the farmers sold their rice to the millers the government favored for the rice scam. This does not only affect farmers but many traders and millers have been put out of business as they were not favored by this government.

or like this?

Hey g'kid, how is that relevant.

I notice now that the roof is falling in you resort to just nasty comments.

Or perhaps you would care to share an honest specific summation of the whole situation, in your opinion.

Edited by scorecard

@Scorecard //Well perhaps you could show an example, with a post which contains detailed and specific discussion.//

Sure, let's compile everything we have on the subject so we can compare... passifier.gif

Edited by maxme

Just a thought but a coalition is what we had with Abhist. ....

You should look a bit further back. At least since Pa Prem was PM in the 80s there had always been a coalition to govern. A look at Wikipedia might give more information about the governments since 1932, but my guess is, it were mostly if not all coalitions.

That made governing of Thailand so relatively difficult ans slow to progress, as all partners had to agree (and gotten their piece of the cake), before anything could go on. I left out the military rulers here, though, they didn't need a parliament.

That is also the "secret" behind Taksins' success: He didn't have to compromise with other coalition partners. So he ordered and it was undertaken. Classical example is Suvarnaphumi Airport. The designs had been in the drawer for at least 30 years, but the cake was so big, coalitions could not (or dared not to) deal with it. Now don't forget, the airport did cost 1,350 million Baht, of which 45% is said to be gone into private pockets, first of all Taksin.

Now let's see, what the next few days will bring. PTP is focussing exclusively on where to find money to appease the farmers. And don't anybody think Taksin will jump in and provide some of his private money. It's not enough and the saying goes, that 'profits are privatized, but debts are socialized',- not the other way 'round...

I do not disagree with what you say it is probably all true. The problem is people look at 30 years ago and say the people have not changed one bit.

It is easier to play mind games than face the facts today. People change and situations change. Nothing is static no matter how much Thai Visa posters try to make it.

Today we are dealing with almost a completely different set of people under different conditions. That is what people should focus on. They may use the past as experience but they should stop trying to say the people in it have not changed one bit and the situation is identical.

If they have not changed why do we have to keep going back to that time just look at them today. Are they the same are you the same? No you have had many different experiences and are a bit wiser. You realize you are in a different world.

Take Thaksin for example. Is he the same.? No. Ten years ago he was able to look you in the face and shake your hand while he was changing laws that would take money out of the treasury and put it in is pocket. If you gained any thing from it that was OK with him. If you lost some thing from it his attitude was tough shiet. Today he hides behind his sister and has a large payroll to do his will for him. He can but is afraid to live in Thailand. Ten years ago he thought he owned it. So you see people and situations do change and not always for the better.

Today it is many different groups of grass root people coming together to try and stop corruption. Not that they can eliminate it all but they are banding together. Look at the farmers they are even starting to think along the lines of the protestors.

Todays protestors are not saying get out so we can put so and so in. They are saying get out so we can form a council to govern and rewrite the constitution where it needs it so that there is a system of checks and balances. Then have an election.

This has never been done before. It was always get out and I will make the necessary changes.

The big problem here is that the people on the council will have to be selected with care and they should come from all different parts of the people. Labor. Industry, Business, Armed forces, Farmers also academics and any other field. The people on the council should be open minded. This eliminates many politicians but not all there are some who honestly want a better Thailand and are willing to listen to others and change their mind if a better plan comes along.

I know it sounds imposable but don't forget there is 66,000,000 people to choose from. If I might suggest it I would think the king would be a good choice to choose the chairperson. Who would them be responsible for forming the committee. I am sure there are many who would be automatically qualified with an open mind but they would also need some knowledge of how the government works and its limitations and be willing to accept a decision that is well talked about also an open decision not a behind closed doors deal.

Yes it is a formidable undertaking but the pay off would be far better than continuing under a system such as we have now. This system can only get worse if left unchecked.

Look at it this way. We have a system that in addition to are normal running costs wants to add a 2.2 trillion baht load on top of it. One that will take 52 years to pay back. Is that what you want to leave your Great Grandchildren?

This is all my opinion and I believe in it so I am willing to lay my cards on the table. I may be an expat with a Thai wife who has children of her own and grandchildren that I treat as my own. I have and will continue to contribute to their education for it is in their hands that the future of Thailand lays and we should give them the best we can today so that when they take over it will not be a cauldron of corruption and behind doors deals. Give them the besrt that we can so that they can give their children a better life than what we have given them.

I am an American and part of are history was a writer who said "if their is to be war let it be in my time". It was in his time and the result was in spite of the horrors that occurred in it they came out a much more stronger nation able to go forth on a good basis.

[Don't bother to tell me what you think of it now. I still think it is better than sending taxes to the Royalty in England.]

Well generally you have a response with a little bit of thought behind it. I take it from your lack of thinking for a response that you agree with 55Jay.

Congratulations you are starting to get the idea of what is wrong with the country. Lack of education I have always known to be a huge factor and that is why I help with the kids education hands on not through a NGO that takes half the money for their overhead. I pay it right to the school. I knew that there was little being taught about the out side world but I did not realize how important it was until I read 55Jay post. Get off your high horse and think about the welfare of the people.

My comment in respect to the disdain shown for the consumer love of gadgets and hard goods was a comment on the attitude of some foreigners and Thais that that Thais don't know what's good for them. The initial comment, no matter how well intentioned, ignores that it is a common characteristic of all societies when some prosperity trickles down. The same comments were made about rural American in the 1950's, Russia after the introduction of economic reforms in the 1980's and Europe after WWII. A robust interest in new consumer goods drives the economy and offers hope to people. Who are we to say who should have a smartphone or an ipad etc.? The presence of these consumer goods in homes serves an important role in keeping social peace as it promotes a concept of accessibility to the better things in life, even if the cynic in us, says it doesn't. I agree whole heartedly that some people should not be spending on some items. Unfortunately, if my conservative view held, 1/2 the homeowners in the USA would not be able to purchase homes on their inflated mortgages, and most of the drivers on Australia's roads would be taking the bus because I deemed it inappropriate that they should lease or finance an expensive vehicle. The respective economies would collapse. I don't borrow nor do I hold any debt. I think everyone should do the same. The reality is that the economy is built on consumer spending and my austere approach would probably cause economic turmoil. We cannot dictate how people should live their lives.

Yes a lack of education is one of the major issues. It is laudable that you have made a personal effort to make a difference. The cost of uniforms and supplies still serves as a barrier to the education of the poor, and despite some parents purchasing a telephone for themselves, most of the rural poor don't. They are barely getting by.

Unfortunately, the educational system is set up to ensure that a large segment of the population will not be provided with the advanced education we westerners think should be provided. As Thailand is still low skill labour dependent in the services and agricultural sector, there is a school of thought that holds that there is no point in having excess educated young people floating about. These young people would be underemployed or unemployed and in every country such a demographic is implicated in higher crime rates, and social unrest. Without the supply of unskilled labour, farm fields would lay barren, hotels would have no staff, there would be no taxis and no one to clean the streets etc.

House of cards coming down!!w00t.gif

Smart move by the farmers to put pressure on the government without going to Bangkok. The Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai is a major artery supplying Laos and a major tourist entry point. By now the Laos government will be demanding that all the supply routes between Thailand and Laos are kept open. Pressue will also come from those international and Thai companies and haulage firms with lucrative contracts with Laos.

Money talks in this country and there are too many businesses that stand to lose too much money, not just in the short-term, if the supply routes are closed. Miraculously, at the last minute, a formula will be found to keep the supply routes open that satisfies the farmers and is approved by the EC.

THIS is what's gonna happen in the near future. Rail Vientiane-Savannaket

The ports in vietnam will be the main transition point for goods and fuel to Laos.

Under construction is the line Savannaket-Vietnam...on this very moment.

The Road 13 is widening on one side on various spots already.

Altenatives will be sought when Thailand is in constant turmoil and who blames them, Laos

post-28792-0-10379600-1390680295_thumb.g

or like this?

Of course not.

• Like 1