House too far from TOT box, what solution to connect Internet ?

thailandbeachisland

Forgot to mention about a Telephone Line for your telephone.

You don't really need one if you have a good Internet Connection. You can get a Personal Telephone Number from Skype. It costs you a little extra to be able to call Cell Phones, or other telephones, but it is still very cheap and they only charge you for the call.

You pay yearly for the telephone number but again not so bad. Anytime you are on the Internet, and are on Skype, you can get a call from any phone to yours, and the reception is good. I found that when you pay extra you get a better connection than free. If you computer is down they record all your incoming calls to let you know later who called. So you can quickly call them back. Also a record of who you called, so you can quickly look up a number.

Works For Me!

I had exactly this same problem. 3BB told me the house was too far away from their closest box. I then had a look at the phsical box & saw TOT also had one, just a bit closer to the house, but still several hundred metres away. Headed in to the local TOT office who were wonderful. They advised they could extend the line & even offered me a land line as well, with a range of phone numbers to choose from & told me the fee would be B3,000 odd to run the line, which I was happy to pay.

Then when actual payment time came, I didn't actually have to pay the B3,000 odd fee, but had to sign a document advising that if I cancelled the service within 12 months, then I would need to reimburse this to TOT!

A week later, there's a TOT pickup in my soi with a couple of guys with long bamboo poles, stringing up the line & the next day it was all connected up & working. Has since proved to be quite reliable too. And all at their B699 per month plan. Can't complain at all.

So my advice would be to go in to see TOT and inquire about the cost of running the line out to where you are.

Good luck!

Hello, i have the same problem, my house is at 200 meters from the TOT network. Could you tell how to call this telephone pole in english or in thai ? I will ask to TOT but i want to be sure they will understand me smile.png

A pole like this in Thai is called a 'sao', so an electricity pole is called a 'sao fie far', 'fai far' being electricity. So a telephone pole is called a 'sao torasap', but often the poles - here at least, will carry both electricy & telephone.

Hope that helps?

That's a very good point Pez.

Very often 'you are too far away' actually means 'you are too far away for a free installation'.

It's always worth asking if there is a paid/more expensive option to get you on line.

Whi is the internet speed so slow in Thailand? I have 100/100 at home in Sweden and I can get 1000 as well. But 100 is OK.

In Thailand I use to get about 2-4 MB down and 0,5-1 up. Why have Laos, Cambodja, Myanmar and other countires surrounding Thailand better internet?

And it is very expensive as well concidering the poor speed!

When I first arrived at my rural school just over three years ago there was no internet though I was told they had tried a satellite system but it was down more often than not. I suggested long range wi-fi and went with the Director to the nearest TOT office about 60km away to see if they could arrange it. An engineer called at the school to days later so check the feasibility of the idea and declared it do-able.

Since then, the school's wi-fi is beamed from a larger village about 10km away and the signal is picked up by an aerial TOT erected on an old pylon in the school from where it is distributed around the school with excellent results. The initial work was free and school pays about 2000 baht per month for the service. About three months ago the wi-fi stopped working in part of the school. TOT came promptly and after an inspection said rainwater had got into one of the router boxes. I am not sure what they did but it was fixed quickly and all has been well ever since.

Talisman

Whi is the internet speed so slow in Thailand? I have 100/100 at home in Sweden and I can get 1000 as well. But 100 is OK.

In Thailand I use to get about 2-4 MB down and 0,5-1 up. Why have Laos, Cambodja, Myanmar and other countires surrounding Thailand better internet?

And it is very expensive as well concidering the poor speed!

You are joking right? Not even Continental US enjoys internet speeds as high as sweden and you compare Thailand to Sweden?

Countries surrounding Thailand doesn't have better internet. Malaysia might have better speed as population is 1/3 or Thailand but Cambodia Laos and Myanmar can't be compared to Thailand.

10Mbit internet can be bought for 18 usd / month with no Fair Use Policy so it isn't expensive. However, 100Mbit cable internet price is pretty much expensive compared to yup, Sweden again.

I switched to a Pattaya Company called "True". They gave me what they call an "Air Card" which is quite small and you plug this into your USB Port. From that moment on you have instant Wireless from them.

I switched to them about 2 years ago, and I have to tell you Son that I am so pleased with this I wouldn't go back to a Thai Lan System even if I had to trip over those wires every day. I got the highest speed on-sale, and my wife got one step down from that. It work so well on mine that we decided that she should step up to mine to. But she couldn't as they told her they sold out their maximum on that one, as this was a year later.

That was over a year ago so things might have changed since then. But hers still works fine and better than any LAN System we ever had here. The Beauty of the Beast on this system is that once you are plugged in, you can use it anywhere in Thailand. Just came back from the In-laws in a village North of Udon Thani and it worked as good there as it does back home in Pattaya.

I can't count all the hotel rooms I stayed in this country these past couple of years where this system worked fine every time. No more fricking around getting the Hotel Password, which seems to change every hour, or geting them to help you hook up. Or in some cases paying the high extra fee they charge for Internet their. It just seems to work everywhere. They also told me that Bangkok International Airport has the strongest signal from them, but I never tried their.

Trust Me Son! This is well worth looking into. All you need is an USB Port on your PC or Lap Top. Their Telephone number is: 1331`

Oh Ya! Money to pay your monthly Bill helps to.

I used True H. It was about Baht900/month and switched back to 2G or whatever after about 3GB. Absolutely useless if you d/l big files. Same goes for AIS 1-2Call.

Anyone who tells you that using a cell network is good for internet doesn't download movies and Youtube stuff.

As you can tell, True doesn't pay me:)

I faced the same problem; you could also inform about "BBB" (or called tripleB). It seems that if there are 10 people interested the make the necessary...Unfortunatly in my village I couldn't find 10.

You can still try to use a "stick-modem", I had them all and it's really depending on your location (D-Tac, AIS, True Move)...

Good Luck!

I had TOT Useless internet,, than I changed to TT&T much better internet but expensive.....

at last changed to 3BB MUCH better internet plus MUCH cheaper..... I did pay extra to have

them take a internetcable from box to my house (8.000 baht)

So isn´t there any other internetcompanies to choose from????

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

I had TOT Useless internet,, than I changed to TT&T much better internet but expensive.....

at last changed to 3BB MUCH better internet plus MUCH cheaper..... I did pay extra to have

them take a internetcable from box to my house (8.000 baht)

So isn´t there any other internetcompanies to choose from????

Glegolo

cat

I had untold BS sprouted towards me when I moved into my new house. 103 meters too far from nearest TOT Fibre Optic Box. After a bit a sweet talking, the big bosses flew down to see me on Phuket, near Heroiness Monument. Another two months of um and arr, and lo and behold... I got a new line run from Heroiness Monument to my house for TOT Fiber Net Line. Speak nicely and it shall be granted unto you. I am very happy with the 72Mbps line.

at least they told you it was too far away.

they collected a year up front to provide service to my house on koh phangan, charged me for 400m of cable and the result is sppeds never exceeding 2mb on a 10 mb package -- that is when it works, which is rarely.

i call them weekly demanding improvement, they send people out to the house and they make it better for 15 minutes and by the time their truck has left the driveway the internet is <deleted> again.

to work i need to use AIS 3g, which given the data cap costs me about 3-4k a month but speeds are about 8mbps down and 3 up.

tot is horrific, im told 3bb is better, but they wont provide service out my way.

• Like 1

Do you have access to True fibre?

Tot is the bottom of the barrel.

If you've had a bad experience with TOT please tell all.

Ha really?? Ok called tot said want wi-net they came out said yes ok 6mb no problem tested signal strength etc.

6 weeks later called them to install it, different person says "no have at your house" I said how do you know I havent even told you where my house is yet!!

I gave them the address then, "no have"

YES we do i said, you checked it 6 weeks ago, NO NO HAVE, had to complain to bangkok then their local man called and said "NO HAVE" more complaining to BKK and eventually he came and sure enough 6mb.

Ars8eholes they were.

• Like 1

I switched to a Pattaya Company called "True". They gave me what they call an "Air Card" which is quite small and you plug this into your USB Port. From that moment on you have instant Wireless from them.

I switched to them about 2 years ago, and I have to tell you Son that I am so pleased with this I wouldn't go back to a Thai Lan System even if I had to trip over those wires every day. I got the highest speed on-sale, and my wife got one step down from that. It work so well on mine that we decided that she should step up to mine to. But she couldn't as they told her they sold out their maximum on that one, as this was a year later.

That was over a year ago so things might have changed since then. But hers still works fine and better than any LAN System we ever had here. The Beauty of the Beast on this system is that once you are plugged in, you can use it anywhere in Thailand. Just came back from the In-laws in a village North of Udon Thani and it worked as good there as it does back home in Pattaya.

I can't count all the hotel rooms I stayed in this country these past couple of years where this system worked fine every time. No more fricking around getting the Hotel Password, which seems to change every hour, or geting them to help you hook up. Or in some cases paying the high extra fee they charge for Internet their. It just seems to work everywhere. They also told me that Bangkok International Airport has the strongest signal from them, but I never tried their.

Trust Me Son! This is well worth looking into. All you need is an USB Port on your PC or Lap Top. Their Telephone number is: 1331`

Sorry, a bit ridiculous to advise this.

Only someone who knows nothing and does not really need Internet for work or any serious thing could write this.

Aircard suxxx everywhere in the world and here especially !

Sorry, a bit ridiculous to advise this.

Only someone who knows nothing and does not really need Internet for work or any serious thing could write this.

Aircard suxxx everywhere in the world and here especially !

He sounded happy with it and not everyone needs internet for work.

Some people are retired or have proper jobs where they get off their ass!

I was beginning to think cabled internet connections were becoming a thing of the past...I mean why bother if a 3G or 4G telephone network can supply sufficient speeds. Or some wireless node offering 5-10Mbps would suffice for many people.

spoken like a true luddite.

I thought a proper job was something that pays the bills, all the better if you can do it anywhere you choose.

perhaps im getting it wrong.

Do you have access to True fibre?

Tot is the bottom of the barrel.

If you've had a bad experience with TOT please tell all.

Ha really?? Ok called tot said want wi-net they came out said yes ok 6mb no problem tested signal strength etc.

6 weeks later called them to install it, different person says "no have at your house" I said how do you know I havent even told you where my house is yet!!

I gave them the address then, "no have"

YES we do i said, you checked it 6 weeks ago, NO NO HAVE, had to complain to bangkok then their local man called and said "NO HAVE" more complaining to BKK and eventually he came and sure enough 6mb.

Ars8eholes they were.

Ouch! Bad experience indeed.

spoken like a true luddite.

I thought a proper job was something that pays the bills, all the better if you can do it anywhere you choose.

perhaps im getting it wrong.

So long as they pay the local taxes then!