Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Manarak,,,,

I've already approached plod with that idea,,,

But they want nothing to do with it,,

It's becoming very very frustrating,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Visit another station and tell them a slightly different story, tell them you know where the car is but fear to take it back alone. And tell them nothing about the "ransom story".

Edited by manarak

whistling.gif This being Thailand I wouldn't be surprised if the police are not involved in such a car theft racket also.

In fact, I think it's highly likely they are.

They found your car and now they are shaking you down for money to return it to you.

Otherwise why would they know about the "racket" and not close it down?

I very much suspect that if you ever do see your car again it has already been stripped of anything valuable and is little more than a basically useless hulk now.

Basically I believe your vehicle is now a write off, and it's up to you whether you want to spend good money on paying to get it back, or just abandoning it.

Does you or your wife know any "important person" in your local area?

If so SHE should go and tell the story to him.

But either way you will probably have to pay for "services rendered" if you do get your vehicle back.

Early last year my BiL had his car stolen near Chong Chom. He had parked in front of his rubber plantation while he worked on the farm. When he returned it had gone.

A neighbour remembered seeing 2 men on a motorbike approach then drive off in the car. Police got involved.

About a month later insurance paid out for the car. A lot less than it was insured for. About 4 months later he was asked to identify his car. Police had tracked down a gang responsible and retrieved some of the stolen cars.

There are gangs stealing cars to order in that area which are smuggled into Cambodia. I was reliably informed a couple of years ago by a police friend that Fortunas were top of the list with an estimated 20 or more vehicles being smuggled across each month.

I've also heard of the ransom demands for stolen cars in that area but among our extended family and friends don't know of anyone its happened to.

Didn't and wouldn't buy it back,,

Didn't say I would,,,,

Just wondered if anyone had come across it before,,,,

Just asking mate,,,,

yes, lots of us have had girlfriends try to scam us.

part of the game with putting your stuff in their name.

what to do?

get a new gf., one more trustworthy.

stop calling them gf,s. that is part of u guys problem . when u have strings on your fingers then call them your wives.

• Like 2

Yes osmach was mentioned by the police,,,

But why would her family go with me to the police station in chom chom,,,

Unless they are going halfs with him,,,

So basically we all have dodgy girlfriends,,,

Been with her for over 7 years,,,,I thought she loved me for me,,,,,boohoo

If in fact your car was stolen it is highly likely it was shipped over a border. The extortion fee of 300k baht will be a con.

I presume you have the police report from when the car was stolen with all the vehicle details, if so esculate the refusal of the insurance company to pay out on your claim. Suggest you write to the Head of Claims at the H.O with a registered letter. After a week or so call his/her secretary to ascertain who has been delegated to handle your complaint and their contact details.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

If the car is financed there will be theft insurance, otherwise you would not be able to get financing. Let the finance company look after it and don't make anymore payments.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

Osmach is the name for Cambodian side of the border Chong Chom is the name for the Thai side.

Will get back to you on the name of the company,it's abit of a tongue twister,,

My brother pays about 20-25,000,full protection,,,,

So when we were quoted 30,000 I presumed it covered everything ,,

Can think of only one reason your gf doesnt want you to go look for the car.

Ants, on 25 Jan 2014 - 07:37, said:

Sorry my Thai abc isn't all that,,,

I wish I could just look at all her paperwork and understand what they all are,,,

But I'll get the name shortly,,,,

For the benefit of the doubters here, take a photo of the header of your policy and post it on the forum,

I would also be interested to see a 30K auto insurance policy that doesn't cover theft.....................rolleyes.gif

As an addition, it is probably a good time to remind readers (and the OP) that for a falang to sign anything that is written in Thai without understanding what they are signing, will not be considered an excuse if a claim has to be made on that document. I would imagine the GF signed, but the wording in the OP suggests it is a joint purchase.

They are not being helpful at all,,

It feels like they are pointing the finger at us for getting it stolen,,

I payed about 30,000 for the year and they are sort of saying it doesn't cover theft.

We did a lot of our own investigation work by sticking a picture of the vehicle on Facebook,with many spots around chok chai and surin,,,

We told the insurers about what the police have said about paying the 300,000,

And the insurers agree it's the best idea to get our car back,,,,

Grrrrr

As others have mentioned if you paid B30,000 for the insurance it had to include theft. Is their some problem with just reading the policy to find out? I'm sure the insurance agent would agree that paying the 300,000 bhat would be the best way to go as that would leave them off the hook.

Edited by Spaniel

They are not being helpful at all,,

It feels like they are pointing the finger at us for getting it stolen,,

I payed about 30,000 for the year and they are sort of saying it doesn't cover theft.

We did a lot of our own investigation work by sticking a picture of the vehicle on Facebook,with many spots around chok chai and surin,,,

We told the insurers about what the police have said about paying the 300,000,

And the insurers agree it's the best idea to get our car back,,,,

Grrrrr

I bet they are.

Ants, on 25 Jan 2014 - 07:37, said:

Sorry my Thai abc isn't all that,,,

I wish I could just look at all her paperwork and understand what they all are,,,

But I'll get the name shortly,,,,

For the benefit of the doubters here, take a photo of the header of your policy and post it on the forum,

I would also be interested to see a 30K auto insurance policy that doesn't cover theft.....................rolleyes.gif

As an addition, it is probably a good time to remind readers (and the OP) that for a falang to sign anything that is written in Thai without understanding what they are signing, will not be considered an excuse if a claim has to be made on that document. I would imagine the GF signed, but the wording in the OP suggests it is a joint purchase.

He paid, she signed and owned.

In Thailand that's a joint purchase.

• Like 1

They are patient.

That's what the police said ,,,

Something to do with gambling over that way,,and our car was taken to pay a gambling debt,,,

That's nice of them to use our car to pay off someone,,,

And it's the worst card game I've ever come across,,,

Rather play snap

I think you might ask your wife and family if anyone has a gambling problem......

I agree. The ride would have been covered for theft with that size premium anyway..................coffee1.gif

I've double checked my insurance it came with the truck when bought new a few months ago covers theft cost approx 21,000 baht so I'd imagine 30,000 for a 3 year old truck is going to cover more than 80% value.

OP next time they call tell them to keep the truck your not interested.

I think you should hire an english-speaking PI to find out <deleted> is going on here, and get some straight answers.

The police and insurance company not being helpful is really strange.

It does sound like you're being lied to here.

Why sell a car back, and risk getting caught, when you can send it off to a chop shop and be done with it ?

If they really stole your car at random, do you trust them to do a straight deal ?

http://www.tilalegal.com/surveillance-someone-thailand

P.S.

If this happened to me, I would be demanding some straight answers before handing over a single $.

Edited by MilesofSmiles
  • Like 1