Why no 21st century cars with Miller cycle engine?

BSJ

One of the reasons I have always held Mazda in high regard is there company is prepared to think outside the box, and try new concepts. Mazda don't just 'talk the talk they walk the walk'.

And it was so a decade (2 decades?) back Mazda introduced a model with a "Miller cycle" engine. The concept seemed sound. Today the "Miller cycle" engine is alive and well in stationary engine applications. GE uses it in locomotives.

So, at Mazda, what went wrong?

Same could be said about the rotary engine.

I believe Mazda is set to unveil a new RX model, the rotary is dead, long live the rotary.

With the advent of cheaper superchargers ( VW has them) the miller cycle may stage a comeback in hybrids?

rotary engine had mechanical draw-backs - the Miller's are largely costs

Largely Costs and Ford use it in the Fiesta .? Funny that. .......Perhaps thats why they are overpriced compared to the new City that uses an old motor.coffee1.gif

You mean the Wankel motor?

Wankel was the inventor of the rotary engine.

NSU built the Ro80 with the Wankel engine. My dad was chomping at the bit to get one after he saw one in the local Rambler/Triumph/Volvo dealer way back when....until he found out the price! I think not buying it saved him a lot of pain!

• Like 1

You mean the Wankel motor?

Wankel was the inventor of the rotary engine.

Guys, the Wankel engine is pretty died, not question at all.

You have to find in Japanese history why did the Mazda (Toyo Kogyo) endeavor with it? Others who bought license from NSU for Wankel engine have given up in time.

Most likely cost of tooling up for production, certification and warranty costs. Since electronic direct injection is moving into gas and diesel engines, with mechanical and / or turbo superchargers are making great strides in fuel efficiency, the need isn't there at this time.

Emission certification and durability testing is a long term and expensive cycle, plus the various jurisdicitons that have different specs that have to be met. Easier to evovle than be revolutionary.

Wankle rotary engines are great power/weight producers, but the emssions are a major problem. Plus Mazda had a "carbon lock" issue where once in while an engine would "sieze". The fix was to take out the starter, bolt in a gear torque multiplier and a long breaker bar and pop the rotor free. Then reinstall the starter and all was well.

• Like 1

Plain and simple, the total engine including super charger costs toooooo much. Great concept, but $$$$$$. The Adkins cycle engine, on the other hand, completes the same short stroke job at a much lower cost. It is in more cars today than I can remember...expect to see them in Toyota Prius this year or next.

• Like 1

Back a few years ago.. people used to get around on horse and buggy...

Who gives a damn why a company chooses to do this or that... Are you one of those people like Grandpa Simpson that write to companies and complain all day/evening and night ?

Hi.jpg

the wankel was as it's name suggests, simply too full of drawbacks. The IDEA was nice but the practicalities were too many....the rotor tips etc......with any problem Masda would simply put another engine in and sort out the other at their leisure. Of course you got that incredibly low front body profile as the engine was so "flat" - the Ro80 was one of my favourite cars of all time)

Edited by wilcopops

My dad was chomping at the bit

BSJ you'll have to come with me on stage as my straight manthumbsup.gif

Well that might not be so bad. sad.png

Do I have to wear a dress....or do anything you may later regret? facepalm.gif