Snake Bite

madmitch

A lady I know got bitten by a cobra outside her home near Chalong a few days ago. She accidentally stepped on its tail and that is why it attacked.

She went to the nearest hospital, Phuket International but they had no antivenom. Same story at Bangkok Phuket, so she ended up getting treatment at Vachira.

I don't know if it's always the case that the international hospitals don't have antivenom supplies but it's worth knowing this just in case any readers of this forum ever need such treatment.

• Like 2

Do Thais keep stock of anything? I think the most commonly used word in the Thai language is 'mot'

I am not surprised. I would expect that the large government hospital is where one would find anti-venom. The private hospitals are much smaller than Vachira. For some things, Vachira is better. After looking at all the pro's and cons, I chose to have minor surgery at Vichara. Same doctor, better equipment, for a fraction of the cost. (1,300B vs. 15,000B)

Excellent post OP. I am surprised and disappointed that even a pretentious and expensive facility like the Bangkok Phuket Hospital apparently doesn't stock the anti venom.

You don't want to die behind the wheel driving around stuck in traffic shopping around for this.

What about the availability at Red Cross posts, in many rural areas they are the only easily reached medical facilities, except for private clinics which are usually only open in the evening.

Cobra Anti venom Availability

Travel time to Vachira hospital for individuals located south of the Chalong circle can take quite a long time.

So, is it possible to get the anti venom to store at home or perhaps at schools or government sites to use when a bite happens?

Since it needs to be injected, it would be necessary to find somebody who can do this; maybe Dr. Thiti?

Probably many problems with this approach, but could be worth considering.

Cobra Anti venom Availability

Travel time to Vachira hospital for individuals located south of the Chalong circle can take quite a long time.

So, is it possible to get the anti venom to store at home or perhaps at schools or government sites to use when a bite happens?

Since it needs to be injected, it would be necessary to find somebody who can do this; maybe Dr. Thiti?

Probably many problems with this approach, but could be worth considering.

best approach mihht be to call for ambulance, get a first response motorbike to bring it out and administer. If you do not know type of snake, they do have general application ones, or should as in other countries, which cover several possibilities.

But do you want somchai the motocy guy rocking up and giving you a jab