Ayutthaya

DerekMarshall

Hi Folks,

Anyone got some good information on how to get to Ayutthaya from Bangkok by bus or train? please include times of train or bus please

and where they leave from. Also looking for some information regarding tourist attractions and things worth seeing and doing. Also best places, areas and guesthouses (400 to 600 bahts) to stay that is not to far from the tourist attractions.

Appreciated also an indication on how to get to Lopburi by bus or train from Ayutthaya for a day trip.

Thank you kindly in advance.

You get the train at Hualamphong (or any stop due north of it); it takes close to two hours if memory serves (it takes an hour just to get to Don Meuang airport on the train!!). Cost is minimal. There are a fair amount of trains going (frequency) since all trains going to the north and northeast must pass Ayutthaya.

The much faster option is to take a shared van (rot tuu) from Victory Monument (yes, they're still running during the protests)...it's 45 baht (or used to be when I lived in Ayutthaya 12 years ago...may be slightly more now) and takes one hour. They leave Victory Monument once they fill up.

From where the van drops you (its final stop), you can walk to the main collection of ruins. Of course, the vans are also the least safe option, those van drivers are nuts and in a crash you'll be crushed like a tin can. There are plenty of buses from Mo Chit but I don't know the details, never bothered to take one, Mo Chit is a pain to get to IMO.

Lopburi is a short hop from Ayutthaya by train, not sure of the time, but there are less trains than BKK-Ayutthaya because at that point it's just the Northern ones. I've never taken them, but I'm sure there are plenty of buses. Both the bus and train stations are conveniently located in "downtown" Ayutthaya town.

There are a variety of accommodations in central Ayutthaya, from cheap guesthouses to hotels (probably no better than 3 star for the latter). Can't recommend any because when I lived there, it was out in the country an hour outside of town so I never stayed there.

The main reason to go is the ancient ruins. They're okay but a far cry from, say, Angkor Wat if you've been. Worth seeing at least once, though. They also have a museum of the area's history, but I've never been. If you're in decent shape, you can cover all of the important ruins by walking (figure about 5 miles for the day). They start no more than a mile from the center of town.

Similar (but much smaller and smaller in number) ruins in Lopburi, but I've never been so can't give details. Lots of monkeys.

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 1

I travel quite often to Ayutthaya The best way is by train at 15 baht ( Express & Rapid Trains are 20 baht ) normally takes 1 hour and 20 minutes. Next to the train station there are rooms from 150 Baht ( most of the average rooms seem to be reasonably priced at 200 Baht.) The late afternoon river cruise is a must ( 200 baht ) and to get around the temples and all the great Buddha delights i would strongly recommend renting a bicycle for around 30 Baht for the day.

Lopburi ( Planet of the apes ) is easy to get to by train ( about an hour away ) at around 15 baht. ( The station master @ Ayutthaya railway station is great and the staff are friendly ( just like myself.....) Loads of Trains to both places!!

But be careful in Lopburi - The Monkeys will be waiting for you...................................................... ( scary )

Here are some photos that i took on my last visit to Ayutthaya....

Marcus ( The farang on the bike... )

post-193254-0-82989900-1390657833_thumb.

post-193254-0-94138500-1390657939_thumb.

post-193254-0-95640800-1390657949_thumb.

post-193254-0-28607800-1390657981_thumb.

• Like 2

I travel quite often to Ayutthaya The best way is by train at 15 baht ( Express & Rapid Trains are 20 baht ) normally takes 1 hour and 20 minutes. Next to the train station there are rooms from 150 Baht ( most of the average rooms seem to be reasonably priced at 200 Baht.) The late afternoon river cruise is a must ( 200 baht ) and to get around the temples and all the great Buddha delights i would strongly recommend renting a bicycle for around 30 Baht for the day.

Lopburi ( Planet of the apes ) is easy to get to by train ( about an hour away ) at around 15 baht. ( The station master @ Ayutthaya railway station is great and the staff are friendly ( just like myself.....) Loads of Trains to both places!!

But be careful in Lopburi - The Monkeys will be waiting for you...................................................... ( scary )

Wow, that's quite a bit cheaper than the trains in the UK. 15 baht, that's like 25p. In the UK, you'd be lucky to get a train for £25 (100 times more expensive) for a journey of 1 hour and 20 minutes!!! Okay maybe exaggerating a bit, sometimes you can get a journey of that length for about half that (e.g. £12) assuming you book well in advance!!!

• Like 1

Live just out of Ayutthaya. When you leave the station there's plenty of tuk tuks usually sitting outside, ask for soi farang. Few guest houses there, Tony's probably the most popular.

Most of the temples are on the island but there are a few gems out of town. Can hire push bikes on soi farang and get maps at the tourist inf place opposite Tony's.

Nightlife around there is pretty quiet, better across the other side of town by the bus station. Cowboy bar and some karaoke places mainly catering to the asian tourists. Not that I ever get across there whistling.gif

Wow, that's quite a bit cheaper than the trains in the UK. 15 baht, that's like 25p. In the UK, you'd be lucky to get a train for £25 (100 times more expensive) for a journey of 1 hour and 20 minutes!!! Okay maybe exaggerating a bit, sometimes you can get a journey of that length for about half that (e.g. £12) assuming you book well in advance!!!

The train (3rd class only, hard seats and fan, but still...) from BKK to Aranyaprathet (border with Cambodia) is only 48 baht, and that's a 6 hour journey!

• Like 1

Just ask for Tony's, Soi Farang. They all know it.

Can walk it if you only have a bergan on your back.

Cross over from the station and down the soi to the river. Ferry to the other side for a few baht. Go up onto the road and turn right. Walk down till you see the market on your left, cross over and walk down that road on the right hand side. The first road on the right, about 100 yards down, is Soi Farang. thumbsup.gif