Rimping Price Increase

junglechef

Having discussed the price of beef, eggs and milk I'm surprised that no one has raised the topic of another staple ...... Beer. I've heard stories of large Singha falling from 645ml to 500ml bottles whilst the price has stayed the same in the bars. This is being considered as a crime against humanity by some and there's talk of the UN getting involved.

Sorry Joe your not as funny as your avatar was..

regards Worgeordie

Having discussed the price of beef, eggs and milk I'm surprised that no one has raised the topic of another staple ...... Beer. I've heard stories of large Singha falling from 645ml to 500ml bottles whilst the price has stayed the same in the bars. This is being considered as a crime against humanity by some and there's talk of the UN getting involved.

Not all that long ago a "large bottle" of beer was 750ml....it sure is a crime..

I don't know if you're talking about Thailand but for the last 20 years a small bottle of locally brewed beer has been 330ml and a large 660ml. The exception has always been Singha for which a small one was bigger , 345ml, and a big one was smaller , 630ml. The 345 ml became 330ml recently with no change of price. There is now a 500ml bottle which is being substituted in some bars whilst the price remains the same, or so I hear.

I watched a documentary a few years ago which showed the way Australian companies were taking the micky out of the consumer. Beer was the first thing noted, stubbies suddenly had less in them but were the same price. Many other products the same, tins of baked beans, bars of soap, redesigned bottles of shampoo and disinfectant. With Tim Tams (a chocolate biscuit a bit like Penguins for the Brits), they changed the packaging to put 7 instead of 8 in without announcing it.

The biggest shock was the toothpaste. They came up with a very inventive plan to ensure we used more toothpaste, so therefore bought more toothpaste. We all know how much toothpaste to put on the toothbrush, right? It's way too much, anyone with an electric toothbrush knows you only need the size of a pea, but in real life most of us put about an inch of toothpaste on the toothbrush twice a day, every day. How do they get us to use more, which by necessity meant we would buy more? They increased the size of the hole! You were pushing out an inch of much fatter product, thereby using it quicker. Not made up, they got caught out.

I have to say though; that plan was so cunning they could have put a tail on it and called it a weasel. (Blackadder, of course).

• Like 1

Not all that long ago a "large bottle" of beer was 750ml....it sure is a crime..

I don't know if you're talking about Thailand but for the last 20 years a small bottle of locally brewed beer has been 330ml and a large 660ml. The exception has always been Singha for which a small one was bigger , 345ml, and a big one was smaller , 630ml. The 345 ml became 330ml recently with no change of price. There is now a 500ml bottle which is being substituted in some bars whilst the price remains the same, or so I hear.

Long time since i had a drink..sad.png but AFAIK europe, aus and NZ..

I thought LOS hadthe same, back in the day...but could well be mistaken..

Edited by andreandre

Sorry to piggyback, but speaking of Rimping -- I can't find tonic water (normally, Schwepes, yellow 12 oz can) at Rimping Meechok or Rimping Promenade. Also, Big C hasn't had it in quite awhile. Couldn't speak well enough to ask if it's a temporary shortage, or what....

Gin without tonic sucks. Besides, it's an excuse to fight malaria.

Anybody seen any lately?

Sent from my Commodore 64, using MS-DOS mobile app

The price of milk has also gone up,from 84 Bht to 89 Bht at Makro 2 ltre

these cows must be millionaires .

regards Worgeordie

The price of 2 litre Fourmost milk has gone DOWN in price this

week at Makro ,it was 83 Bht,

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

As i understand it we know that Thailand has very few dairy cattle and the majority of milk product comes from NZ ,in powder form, and is processed here.The NZ dollar has

had a bit of an upswing of late which could explain the price rising

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

As i understand it we know that Thailand has very few dairy cattle and the majority of milk product comes from NZ ,in powder form, and is processed here.The NZ dollar has

Not so sure about that..;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651517-dairy-farms-in-los/

This is all a bit fishy............ doesn't most of the beef sold here come from Australia ,NZ , Argentina etc.

A program on ABC Australia TV last night was saying that beef producers in Australia are currently not even covering their cost of producing animals

for slaughter due to the massive increase in grain feed and drought conditions in many areas. Farmers were getting as low as $3 a kg (90 baht) at market.

So why the shortage ? perhaps Rimping should spell out why.

Its not only beef the price of shrimp seems to have doubled in the last 6 months and that is local.

The farmers are out protesting in Bangkok. So no one to bring the cattle to be made into beef.

This contention is extremely dubious. Does anyone seriously believe that major international corporations like Foremost, Meiji, and Allowrie are going to mislabel their milk products for the sake of a few extra baht despite the risk of bad publicity?

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

I have just read most of the post regarding Price's and lack of some goodies I don't live in C/M but will be there for a Birthday bash as from tomorrow. So just had a look at your site. Our local Makro has always had S/tonic all be it by the case, milk is still 82 for a large one and their beef 'local and imported' has now been reduced local starting at around 300bt kg depending on what cut you have + they have ton's of it sound's to me like this is a local problem. Or maybe some kind of con??? While I'm there I shall compare the price's of lot's of bit's and give my update later.

Wait a minute -- did someone mention goat? Why isn't more goat raised here in Thailand? It would seem like the critters would do well here and the they taste almost like beef -- well, actually better in my opinion. Makro has just about every exotic meat, but I don't recall seeing goat -- not that I'd know how to cook it. I'd like to see it on the menu of more restaurants.

Wait a minute -- did someone mention goat? Why isn't more goat raised here in Thailand? It would seem like the critters would do well here and the they taste almost like beef -- well, actually better in my opinion. Makro has just abou

that every exotic meat, but I don't recall seeing goat -- not that I'd know how to cook it. I'd like to see it on the menu of more restaurants.

Probably because Thais don't like it. They mostly don't like lamb because they think it is smelly and I'm sure they'd think the same of goat meat.

The only people I know who consider beer as a staple are alcoholics.

The only people I know who consider beer as a staple are alcoholics.

Agree, but the topic has come up loads of times already quite a few Thaivisa users are hating the price increase.

Wait a minute -- did someone mention goat? Why isn't more goat raised here in Thailand? It would seem like the critters would do well here and the they taste almost like beef -- well, actually better in my opinion. Makro has just about every exotic meat, but I don't recall seeing goat -- not that I'd know how to cook it. I'd like to see it on the menu of more restaurants.

They sell goat in Makro frozen section. I have just returned from my birthday bash in C/M. Said that I would compare cost's well here go's. Regarding the price's there everything and I mean everything is well over priced from the Beef to beer in most case's by well over 35% to where I live some 4 hour drive away. Met a chap who is paying 22k for a 1 bedroom condo EEEEEEEK I know C/M has lot's of advantages food wise with their many restaurant's, selection of goodies on offer 'everything I need I can get where I live but not as many choice's' but that's about all I can see that would want peep's to go or stay there. Coupled with the horrendous traffic/fume's, thousand's of tourist's just not my cup of tea. If you like the place or need to be there for work enjoy but it's not for me.