Charn Issara chief as protester - and media critic

webfact

SOOPSIP
Charn Issara chief as protester - and media critic

The Nation

30225149-01_big.jpg
Charn Issara Development Plc chairperson Srivara Issara Nation Photo/Anant Chantarasoot

BANGKOK: -- Charn Issara Development Plc chairperson Srivara Issara turned heads on November 28 when she led her own anti-government march down Petchburi Road, but she's hardly a rookie at revolution, she tells Who? magazine

Srivara has long been a regular at political rallies, just never in the spotlight. This time, though, she was the bright beacon for others, mobilising people on the social media and leading them in procession from a speaker truck.

"Are you a protest leader?" she's duly asked. Srivara wouldn't call herself that because she doesn't put sacrifice as much as the recognised leaders. "I'd just call myself a pioneer for the Petchaburi community in rallying against the Thaksin regime," Srivara says, referring to the neighbourhood where her business is based, in the Issara Building.

As to the surprise her presence on the front line caused, she too was surprised to see so many people joining her on the street. She'd only just put the word out the day before the march. She had a meeting with friends and staff and then distributed leaflets before going home. "The social media played a major role," she acknowledges.

Srivara says her political stance results from careful study of the issues and never any hearsay claims. "I have my primary sources and I always cross-check the information." Her judgement matches the slogan of fellow protester Soda boutique - "Now or never". The Thaksin era must end.

Her involvement has left her open to criticism, and some of it has been distorted. Srivara gave a long interview to a Reuters reporter during the march in the hope, she said, of countering misinformation that Thaksin's lobbyists feed the foreign media. "But, sad to say, the reporter twisted my words and wrote that the march was an extension of Charn Issara's corporate-responsibility programme!"

The same reporter interviewed Chitpas "Tant" Kridakorn, Petch Osathanugrah and her daughter-in-law Palawi, Srivara says, and came up with a story about class warfare. The headline was "High society hits the streets as prominent Thais join protests". Srivara had told the |newshound that the protesters came from all walks of life - she'd personally surveyed many of them to find out where they came from and how they earned a living.

"I was impressed with one group from upcountry - they'd shared the transportation costs to join the rally." She found that Chiang Mai people were quite proud to declare where they were from. "They said the majority there is against Thaksin but they dare not voice their opposition because the red shirts are quite aggressive." Srivara told the Reuters reporter that many businesspeople similarly dislike the government but dare not say so for fear of official blowback.

She says the reporter was aware of vote-buying and high-placed persons influencing elections in the rural areas. She asked him whether he called that democracy? None of this made it into the published story. "As media ethics go, reporters shouldn't be biased or take any side, but I've found that the newspapers and TV fail to report the news impartially."

The only way to get the full picture is to talk to a lot of different sources, Srivara says. If you limit your investigation to just one or two sources, you're bound to get a distorted view of the facts.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-27

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm... so she believes that the foreign media rely on information from Thaksin's lobbyists and that the majority in Chiang Mai are anti-Thaksin? Not convinced she's reached this position after a 'careful study of the issues'. Sounds like just more of the typical PDRC talking points to me.

There is a lot of evidence of the first point - just read anything published by AFP. As for the second point, I'm not sure about Chiang Mai but in many Isaan provinces there are a lot of anti-Thaksin individuals living in fear of the red shirts. Not sure I'd call them a majority but they certainly have the need to hide their sentiments.

• Like 2

I have no reason to disbelieve anything she says, but i would like to know which neutral sources she uses, and how she cross checks her information. Probably cross checking between Suthep, Blue Sky and ASTV.

Is the prominent monk any relation to the Issara family?

So many in high positions in both business and the state sector are calling for reforms before an election.

Last Saturday present staff and former permanent secretaries, director- generals and officials of the Commerce Ministry, Export Promotion Dept and the Business Economics Dept took to the stage at Pathumwan to support reforms before elections.

It could happen yet if the election is postponed several months.

Reform what and how? I hear it said a lot and yet no info.

• Like 2

I have no reason to disbelieve anything she says, but i would like to know which neutral sources she uses, and how she cross checks her information. Probably cross checking between Suthep, Blue Sky and ASTV.

Is the prominent monk any relation to the Issara family?

i was just wondering the same thing.

Thousands of people joined her peaceful rally, which she saw as an extension of Charn Issara's corporate social responsibility programme. "It's our duty to do something good for the country," she said.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE9BC0ZI20131213?irpc=932

"But, sad to say, the reporter twisted my words and wrote that the march was an extension of Charn Issara's corporate-responsibility programme!"

An error since compounded by you repeating it. Could you at least read and comprehend what you cut and paste?

Hmm... so she believes that the foreign media rely on information from Thaksin's lobbyists and that the majority in Chiang Mai are anti-Thaksin? Not convinced she's reached this position after a 'careful study of the issues'. Sounds like just more of the typical PDRC talking points to me.

There is a lot of evidence of the first point - just read anything published by AFP. As for the second point, I'm not sure about Chiang Mai but in many Isaan provinces there are a lot of anti-Thaksin individuals living in fear of the red shirts. Not sure I'd call them a majority but they certainly have the need to hide their sentiments.

So you think AFP base their reports on Thaksin's lobbyists - in the US or in France? The lobbyist thing is a constant anti-govt talking point but way overplayed imo. I think they keep going on about lobbyists because they find it hard to understand that people can look at the situation and come to a different understanding of it to theirs which is equally legitimate. Do you really think foreign journalists based in Thailand are really affected by the lobbyists Thaksin employs in the US? They don't take the likes of Amsterdam seriously, so I'm not sure US based folk would carry much weight with them. However, if you're talking about stuff like the WaPo editorial, then yes, that's where US based lobbyists *might* carry some weight. Not reporters on the ground though.

As for your second point, I'm sure there are Issan based anti-govt folk who aren't so keen to broadcast their views in this climate. Especially with things turning violent. Yet I've also read stories and heard many anecdotes about people with different views living together as usual during every day life. It's only when people put on their coloured shirts and take on this mob mentality (groupthink) that clashes seem to occur. Individuals have been subjected to threats and intimidation on both sides - but it usually seems to take the form of online bullying and social network driven witch hunts which very rarely results in real violence (the Nitirat leader, Ajaan Worajet, was beaten up following an online campaign against him, but that seems to be an exception).

Thousands of people joined her peaceful rally, which she saw as an extension of Charn Issara's corporate social responsibility programme. "It's our duty to do something good for the country," she said.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE9BC0ZI20131213?irpc=932

"But, sad to say, the reporter twisted my words and wrote that the march was an extension of Charn Issara's corporate-responsibility programme!"

An error since compounded by you repeating it. Could you at least read and comprehend what you cut and paste?

I just found the quote that's all. Judge for yourself. It does sound a bit twisted doesn't it. Although, it's a précis . a strange inference either way.

• Like 1

So many in high positions in both business and the state sector are calling for reforms before an election.

Last Saturday present staff and former permanent secretaries, director- generals and officials of the Commerce Ministry, Export Promotion Dept and the Business Economics Dept took to the stage at Pathumwan to support reforms before elections.

Probably no info because there was suggested that a committee should be formed that set out the reform details, but until now the government hasn't agreed, so no committee formed yet.

Don't put the cart before the horse

Probably no info because there was suggested that a committee should be formed that set out the reform details, but until now the government hasn't agreed, so no committee formed yet.

So we.support reform without being told what reforms they will undertake?

Can you see any possible drawbacks before any one with half a brain and an understanding of the seriousness of abolishing elections might have with such an offer?

Are we even allowed to know if they understand what "reform" means?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

So we.support reform without being told what reforms they will undertake?

Can you see any possible drawbacks before any one with half a brain and an understanding of the seriousness of abolishing elections might have with such an offer?

Are we even allowed to know if they understand what "reform" means?

First of all, you don't have to support anything, since you are not a Thai.

But aside of that, it was said that the committee would be formed out of members of the public, so it would be unfair to set the rules for reform before the public has had the chance to discuss those rules.

Since a "people's council" is an old idea of the PAD, the reform proposals are already there, it would just be about the world according to them, BUT it's not a good strategy to come forward with these reform proposals before the establishment of a reform committee, these proposals could be criticized and rejected and could stand in the way of the establishing of a reform committee, "don't put the cart before the horse" is a strategy yes....and again: it's all well planned last year, and the Bangkok middle class know this very well, better keep up the illusory divisions for a while, let"s pretend it's about "Suthep and the people", that's pretty rigged don't you think.

yet another deluded thaksin hater tries to deny and disrespect other peoples right to vote.

Reading some of your comments I'd say you're the one that is hopelessly deluded. It probably is selfinflicted too. Very sad that the respect you refer to is only meant for those who share your quite radical political views concerning Thailand.

Your opinion is shared by an increasingly isolated, anti-democratic, aggressive and dwindling minority of people in Thailand (and with absolutely no support internationally).

I simply support peoples right to vote, it is a view held internationally and a recent poll put domestic support for people wanting to vote at 80%.

If anyone is deluded, son, it's you.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif pathetic

yet another deluded thaksin hater tries to deny and disrespect other peoples right to vote.

Reading some of your comments I'd say you're the one that is hopelessly deluded. It probably is selfinflicted too. Very sad that the respect you refer to is only meant for those who share your quite radical political views concerning Thailand.

Your opinion is shared by an increasingly isolated, anti-democratic, aggressive and dwindling minority of people in Thailand (and with absolutely no support internationally).

I simply support peoples right to vote, it is a view held internationally and a recent poll put domestic support for people wanting to vote at 80%.

If anyone is deluded, son, it's you.

Sadly, it is only you moo who is deluded. And you are seriously deluded if you think Thaksin represents democracy. Thaksin does not represent democracy, he is a dictatory who wants to become the supreme ruler of Thailand. A new North Korea in the making.

• Like 1