Farang getting fat

Fabulousheart

im in my 70s and i cycle regularly sometimes as much as 100klms per day dont drink (used to) and dont eat meat and i still find if i have a few days off cycling i put a couple of kilos on, anyway i find you have to work at it to keep healthy and fairly fit.

You aren't Bruce by any chance are you?

Thanks for your input.

There are many routes to the top of the mountain some ways are better for some and some other ways work better for others, if it works for us then that is all that matters?

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more exercise over the amount that your body needs will cause you to lose weight ! Simples really isn't it?

Not so simple, in fact wrong as it actually ignores the main issues.

Diets without exercise are doomed I tell you doomed to failure

No. You have much to learn. Best to start by studying this article. You'll need to read it 10 times to overcome your old outdated simple-minded dogma.

The Scientist and the Stairmaster

Why most of us believe that exercise makes us thinner—and why we're wrong.

But that's all I'm gonna say here on the subject as I've already argued and spoonfed it many times in the Health forum--mostly to no avail, but with some success.

Now that I've pointed you in the right direction, if interested you can educate yourself. There's a lot out there. Otherwise, think whatever you like.

Well I read the link, and I was really impressed with the research but didn't feel the need to read it ten time because I realised that in most cases two ounces of practical ability or hands on experience is better than ten tons of theory and good intention.

I thank you also for your good intention in trying to replace my ignorance on these matters with what you feel is sound scientific advice (Really no BS)

But You see my way works for me and many others that I know.

We are not too interested in becoming involved in the most scientific or even the most efficient way of losing weight.

I like most of the others I know who fit into this category have tried all ways to lose some excess pounds but the one way that really works is the one we use now which is to take the emphasis off food and just do as much pleasurable exercise as we can .

I am an hungry bugger who likes a drink or two and yes if I were to become obsessional then there are better and more efficient ways of losing excess weight but I really dont want to know, not because I think I know it all but simply because I work on the principle that if I have got thus far (69) and at my tender age can still get an erection and also do 30K every other day with a 6K walk on the alternative day before breakfast then I know enough about keeping myself in reasonable trim.

I wouldn't want to turn the clock back and am content with not recognising the old bustard who looks back at me from the mirror each day but as far as the fat reducing thing is concerned I think that the weight loss may well be a bye product of the real object of why I exercise and so if I were to take on your precept or methods of losing weight for its own sake then I may not be the Happy Bunny that I am at this moment.

My input in this thread was for those like me who maybe are a tad lazy and a bit unstimulated in the fitness department and will only do exercise when it is interesting or stimulating, another justification for it could be that if one were getting big money for it of course but alas we are not going to be paid for keeping ourselves fit are we.

You are also correct in your assumption that I have much to learn but dont like being told so in a forum where the subject matter is subjective as is the content within your link, without wishing to get into a pointless debate let me say that the link that you sent is not accepted as the whole truth by all the Authorities who from time to time publish their research material!

• Like 1

If one wants to loose weight, just cut way back on the amount you eat and the pounds will begin to drop.

The problem with that scenario is two fold. A diet implies a temporary change, and if/when you stop dieting you will probably go back to your previous eating habits and the pounds will return. You are also doing little or nothing to improve your health and fitness.

This is not a diet issue. It requires a permanent, lifetime modification in living, eating and moving habits. Eating healthier, adding some exercise into the mix - preferably a combination of strength, cardio and intensity - and maintaining that new lifestyle for remainder of your time on this great rock is the long term, more permanent solution.

Find an exercise program that you can, after a few months of drudgery, actually begin to enjoy. In changing your eating habits, modify but don't cut out everything you enjoy. Moderation is the key.

Anything else is just temporary.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The more exercise over the amount that your body needs will cause you to lose weight ! Simples really isn't it?

Not so simple, in fact wrong as it actually ignores the main issues.

Diets without exercise are doomed I tell you doomed to failure

No. You have much to learn. Best to start by studying this article. You'll need to read it 10 times to overcome your old outdated simple-minded dogma.

The Scientist and the Stairmaster

Why most of us believe that exercise makes us thinner—and why we're wrong.

But that's all I'm gonna say here on the subject as I've already argued and spoonfed it many times in the Health forum--mostly to no avail, but with some success.

Now that I've pointed you in the right direction, if interested you can educate yourself. There's a lot out there. Otherwise, think whatever you like.

I will link to some studies showing that exercise helps a lot keeping it off. But many researchers make one big mistake and that is measuring weight instead of fat percentage.

Its is even known that some programs say no exercise (as it halts muscle burning) because then there is more weight loss even though the weight loss is muscle.

Its actually stupid to talk about weight loss as nobody wants to burn muscle.. it helps burning calories.

But I will grant you this, its an ineffective way to loose weight.. but a good way to keep it off. The fact that it helps again insulin resistance is great (your low carb does the same imagine what hey do together)

• Like 1

Lots of good points but the first thing you must do is create a food diary and then you'll understand the concept of calories in, calories out. Use the forums on that site for inspiration and support.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Find a good fitness site like livestrong.com

http://www.livestrong.com/

Find a good nutrition site and look for superfoods, high nutrition/low calorie

http://foodwatch.com.au/

http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/super-foods/item/catherine-saxelbys-top-20-super-foods.html

Once you sift through all the data you need to find something a formula that is suitable to you, for the rest of your life. Diets don't work because they are a short term solution.

In a nutshell the idea is to fill you stomach up with high nutrition, low calorie foods and then you won't have room for the denser calorie food: Water, Salad, Vegetables, Meats and Treats.

• Like 1

@n210mp, all your response to my post amounts to is "I know what I know 'cause I know it, won't listen to anything else ('I really dont want to know'), but if I did listen, I wouldn't understand it; or if I understood it, I wouldn't believe it, 'cause I know what I know 'cause I know it." It's the typical calories in/calories out "argument" here on the forum. The corresponding weight loss method is inevitably this: starve-and-sweat.

It's not so helpful. Turns out, "I began my exercise regime around two years ago and have lost no weight at all!"

But you did gain some muscle from exercising. Good. But what about those who just want to lose weight first? Without having to sweat much or at all?

And you're trying to tell people "eat whatever they want" if they just exercise enough.

First, starve-and-sweat doesn't work well for most people. Everyone knows about starve-and-sweat and all overweight people have tried it already. Few of them succeed at it--but some do of course. Congrats to you, though your emphasis is on the sweat.

Second, it's dangerous to fool yourself that with enough exercise, diet doesn't count. The classic example: marathoner and running guru Jim Fixx.

Fixx repeatedly quoted Bassler's assertion that any nonsmoker fit enough to run a complete marathon in under four hours would, regardless of his or her diet, never suffer a fatal heart attack.

Jim Fixx thought that a healthy diet wasn't that important. He believed that if you don't smoke and if you exercise sufficiently, you are protected against heart disease.
--http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/what-should-we-learn-from_b_815943.html

Turned out, he was tragically mistaken:

JAMES F. FIXX DIES JOGGING; AUTHOR ON RUNNING WAS 52

James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.
--http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/22/obituaries/james-f-fixx-dies-jogging-author-on-running-was-52.html

Now, I'm a big believer in exercise myself. I exercise (moderately these days--which is what I advocate for everyone), and have been continuously physically fit for decades. But I don't fool myself into thinking my lack of weight gain has much to do with it. That has to do with my following a low carb diet. Exercise of course helps my numbers across the board and they're great--but I don't depend on exercise alone (see James Fixx).

Well I read the link, and I was really impressed with the research but didn't feel the need to read it ten time because I realised that in most cases two ounces of practical ability or hands on experience is better than ten tons of theory and good intention.

The article to which link referred had nothing whatsoever to do with good intentions but rather truth. And the article referred to empirical evidence and explained what the evidence means.

There was nothing "subjective" when

the American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine published joint guidelines for physical activity and health. They suggested that 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five days a week is necessary to “promote and maintain health.” What they didn’t say, though, was that more physical activity will lead us to lose weight. Indeed, the best they could say about the relationship between fat and exercise was this: “It is reasonable to assume that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time, compared with those who have low energy expenditures. So far, data to support this hypothesis are not particularly compelling.” In other words, despite half a century of efforts to prove otherwise, scientists still can’t say that exercise will help keep off the pounds.

Hence you simply weren't able to understand the article at all. You skipped the necessary 9 more readings.

I am an hungry bugger who ... do 30K every other day with a 6K walk on the alternative day before breakfast then I know enough about keeping myself in reasonable trim.

Hungry because addicted to carbs, following a standard carb-laden diet, and because the exercise itself makes you hungry. smile.png

So there must be a way to be less hungry and hence need to exercise less for weight loss, which doesn't work well anyway for that purpose--though it's desirable for many other reasons.

I think that the weight loss may well be a bye product of the real object of why I exercise and so if I were to take on your precept or methods of losing weight for its own sake then I may not be the Happy Bunny that I am at this moment.

But, you see, you said earlier you that you hadn't lost any weight. Whoops!

And nobody implied you should give up anything, though if you gave up some of your carbs you could probably lose more weight without being hungry IF you wanted to. Do what you enjoy. We're talking not about YOU in particular but the OP and more generally about any random overweight person wanting to lose weight who's probably tried starve-and-sweat already without success. "Eat the same shit but sweat MORE" probably won't work well for most people and could be dangerous.

That's one of the downsides of following anonymous advice from an internet forum--it could be dangerous advice, and if so there's just no one to sue for resulting injury.

Edited by JSixpack

@n210mp, all your response to my post amounts to is "I know what I know 'cause I know it, won't listen to anything else ('I really dont want to know'), but if I did listen, I wouldn't understand it; or if I understood it, I wouldn't believe it, 'cause I know what I know 'cause I know it." It's the typical calories in/calories out "argument" here on the forum. The corresponding weight loss method is inevitably this: starve-and-sweat.

It's not so helpful. Turns out, "I began my exercise regime around two years ago and have lost no weight at all!"

But you did gain some muscle from exercising. Good. But what about those who just want to lose weight first? Without having to sweat much or at all?

And you're trying to tell people "eat whatever they want" if they just exercise enough.

First, starve-and-sweat doesn't work well for most people. Everyone knows about starve-and-sweat and all overweight people have tried it already. Few of them succeed at it--but some do of course. Congrats to you, though your emphasis is on the sweat.

Second, it's dangerous to fool yourself that with enough exercise, diet doesn't count. The classic example: marathoner and running guru Jim Fixx.

Fixx repeatedly quoted Bassler's assertion that any nonsmoker fit enough to run a complete marathon in under four hours would, regardless of his or her diet, never suffer a fatal heart attack.

Jim Fixx thought that a healthy diet wasn't that important. He believed that if you don't smoke and if you exercise sufficiently, you are protected against heart disease.

--http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/what-should-we-learn-from_b_815943.html

Turned out, he was tragically mistaken:

JAMES F. FIXX DIES JOGGING; AUTHOR ON RUNNING WAS 52

James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.

--http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/22/obituaries/james-f-fixx-dies-jogging-author-on-running-was-52.html

Now, I'm a big believer in exercise myself. I exercise (moderately these days--which is what I advocate for everyone), and have been continuously physically fit for decades. But I don't fool myself into thinking my lack of weight gain has much to do with it. That has to do with my following a low carb diet. Exercise of course helps my numbers across the board and they're great--but I don't depend on exercise alone (see James Fixx).

The article to which link referred had nothing whatsoever to do with good intentions but rather truth. And the article referred to empirical evidence and explained what the evidence means.

There was nothing "subjective" when

the American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine published joint guidelines for physical activity and health. They suggested that 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five days a week is necessary to “promote and maintain health.” What they didn’t say, though, was that more physical activity will lead us to lose weight. Indeed, the best they could say about the relationship between fat and exercise was this: “It is reasonable to assume that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time, compared with those who have low energy expenditures. So far, data to support this hypothesis are not particularly compelling.” In other words, despite half a century of efforts to prove otherwise, scientists still can’t say that exercise will help keep off the pounds.

Hence you simply weren't able to understand the article at all. You skipped the necessary 9 more readings.

I am an hungry bugger who ... do 30K every other day with a 6K walk on the alternative day before breakfast then I know enough about keeping myself in reasonable trim.

Hungry because addicted to carbs, following a standard carb-laden diet, and because the exercise itself makes you hungry. smile.png

So there must be a way to be less hungry and hence need to exercise less for weight loss, which doesn't work well anyway for that purpose--though it's desirable for many other reasons.

I think that the weight loss may well be a bye product of the real object of why I exercise and so if I were to take on your precept or methods of losing weight for its own sake then I may not be the Happy Bunny that I am at this moment.

But, you see, you said earlier you that you hadn't lost any weight. Whoops!

And nobody implied you should give up anything, though if you gave up some of your carbs you could probably lose more weight without being hungry IF you wanted to. Do what you enjoy. We're talking not about YOU in particular but the OP and more generally about any random overweight person wanting to lose weight who's probably tried starve-and-sweat already without success. "Eat the same shit but sweat MORE" probably won't work well for most people and could be dangerous.

That's one of the downsides of following anonymous advice from an internet forum--it could be dangerous advice, and if so there's just no one to sue for resulting injury.

Jim Fixx had a history of heart disease in his family. His father died of heart disease a bit earlier in life than did Jim. Back in those heady days when so many of us took up running long distances in the belief that we would become skinny supermen or superwoman, we believed health began and ended with running. I remember Bill Rogers, who was, for several years the top marathoner in the world discussing his favorite breakfast - pizza covered with mayonnaise.

I was one of those believers. However, now we know that running or any exercise, while a great and necessary aid to good, robust health, is not the end all, be all. I remember reading that friends encouraged Mr. Fixx to perform a treadmill test just to see. They tend to believe that it is possible that they may have been able to locate his problem and helped him live at least a bit longer.

37 years later I am still a distance runner, and triathlete as well. The difference is I know know that good eating habits, periodic checkups with my doctor and moderation are equally important.

There are no magic bullets when it comes to good health, or much else in life.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

It's quite simple to lose weight and you do NOT need to go to the gym! I have lost lots of weight but you have to do the following:

1. Walk every day minimum of 10 KM ( start walking everywhere,don't use motorbikes,baht buses!- Just Walk!!!!

2. Drink plenty of water every day ( at least 3L if not more)

3. Do NOT drink beer whatsoever! ( it's the worst thing to get fat! )

4. Eat Fruit and Thai Food only ( do not eat any " farang food " - remember you are in Thailand! )

5. Swim every day

Well That's what i do every day and it works for me!wai2.gif

Marcus

For every argument in favour there of something there seems to be another that goes against that argument.

I do not wish to accept or deny the facts in the different points of view that have been given here

What I have tried to pass on to anybody who was in my position of a few years ago, tired, listless, unfit and completely unsuccessful when it came to dieting, that for couch potatoes like me there is/was another way of getting started on a fitness regime that doesn't include intense dieting but does include burning more calories then you are consuming and in the process losing some weight.

I took for granted (mistakenly now I realise with the nitpicking ) that moderate eating and drinking would be considered part of my regime and the eat and drink what you want phrase would be mitigated by logic in that if you were going to the lengths of doing the type of exercise that I envisage then you would consume moderately.

In my case Jsixpack you are quite accurate in your description of me being a high carbs eater but whilst having a good and normal appetite I am nether a binge drinker or a binge eater.

In other words I am just a normal sort of chap who has got hooked on a certain way of keeping reasonably fit and wanted to show others who have neither the confidence will or stimulation to get started that there was another way.

I followed my good intentions up by offering to meet up with people on the Mabrachan circuit in the hope that meeting these people will not only help them but also bring in some satisfaction and camaraderie for me.

I accept that from a strictly scientific point of view you are possibly 100% accurate in your posted information but as you intimated I will stick to my guns whatever evidence you show me to the contrary because for me my way has got me off the couch and onto a regime that I find totally beneficial in that it does keep my weight down, it does give me intense satisfaction and allows me to meet people that I normally would not meet!

I

I think I have proved for myself anyway that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight.

Since I stopped all sugar , fried foods and processed foods I dropped to my lowest weight for over 15 years.

And I did this doing basically no exercise where previously I had been playing squash a few times a week and doing some weights.

Admittedly I might have lost a bit of muscle but I am very lean now without any gut whatsoever and that is doing bugger all exercise with just the occasional walk along the beach and some stretching in the morning.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

I think I have proved for myself anyway that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight.

Since I stopped all sugar , fried foods and processed foods I dropped to my lowest weight for over 15 years.

And I did this doing basically no exercise where previously I had been playing squash a few times a week and doing some weights.

Admittedly I might have lost a bit of muscle but I am very lean now without any gut whatsoever and that is doing bugger all exercise with just the occasional walk along the beach and some stretching in the morning.

100% agree that diet is the more important thing, Even when i was fat i still worked out a lot only when i changed how much and what i ate did it all change. (cutting out alcohol helped a lot too)

But I am still pro exercise as it has the advantage of keeping muscle and that burns calories. Plus its good for your health bones / and cardiovascular system. Also its supposed to be easier to keep your weight off if you exercise.

• Like 2

It's quite simple to lose weight and you do NOT need to go to the gym! I have lost lots of weight but you have to do the following:

1. Walk every day minimum of 10 KM ( start walking everywhere,don't use motorbikes,baht buses!- Just Walk!!!!

2. Drink plenty of water every day ( at least 3L if not more)

3. Do NOT drink beer whatsoever! ( it's the worst thing to get fat! )

4. Eat Fruit and Thai Food only ( do not eat any " farang food " - remember you are in Thailand! )

5. Swim every day

Well That's what i do every day and it works for me!wai2.gif

Marcus

Total nonsense,

1. Walk 10 km / day (<deleted> that)

2. Drink 3 L / water, ( Nah, 1 L is plenty)

3. No beer whatsoever (what, just drink milk shake)

4. Eat thai food ( Nah, its gut rot) period.

5 Swim every day ( if you walk 10 km/ day you wont have any time)

Now that I have got that of my chest, I am going down the pub

• Like 1

From oz893

"Do all the STUPID foreigners live in Pattaya, with respect to the most rich in Phuket & Chiangmai. Seriously, you Pattaya people are getting difficult to restrain a prejudice against."

It looks as though the thread has been hijacked by a bored, unstimulated, ignoramus looking for a row!"

I mean, how is this post relevant, never mind in relation to the contents of this thread and so so easy to call some one stupid when you are not facing them in anonymity.

Just love you to show your prejudice face to face owd pal!

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

I know know that good eating habits, periodic checkups with my doctor and moderation are equally important.

There are no magic bullets when it comes to good health, or much else in life.

Spot on!

There certainly are not, believe me i looked for them. There is some questionable stuff that works at a cost for weightloss.

• Like 1

dont listen to these folks. Did you read their advice, they dont know what they talking about!

If you are looking for a real professional, a guy that know everything about diet, a guy that can give you proper advice

for train hard and safe, a guy that can provide tips how to manage your life, your health, anything you need to know.

Well i advice to contact now the member Jingthing, this member is the bible on TV forum.

He has 50K messages on this board, ....nine-tenth are about health advice that he got from others memberslaugh.png

So whatever he gonna tell you, just do the oppositewhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

one of the things that make me gain a LOT of weight here in LOS is the intake of alcohol.

Reduce carb intake otherwise and drink only wine and spirits (neat or w/ water or soda water--no sugar or fruit) in moderation. No problem. :)

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

one of the things that make me gain a LOT of weight here in LOS is the intake of alcohol.

Reduce carb intake otherwise and drink only wine and spirits (neat or w/ water or soda water--no sugar or fruit) in moderation. No problem. smile.png

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

I think the in moderation is the key as alcohol is the first thing that needs burning and will disrupt it all. Its far worse then carbs or anything else the body sees it as a poison and it even has negative impact on insulin levels (the whole thing low carb is built around)

I think that I must be in "Denial"

I had a second look at sixpacks very informative and instructive posts and links and reread my own "In denial" replies so first things first.

JSixpack and others,I hold my hands up high and must say that you have been right and my arguments wrong!

What was the cause of this sudden turn round in my thinking?

Well I took a sideways look in the mirror yesterday and noticed that I had a tub that stuck out in front of me that confirmed that although reasonably fit my protruding belly insisted otherwise and I am not just talking about a little bit of stomach I'm talking about very discernible excess visceral fat.

This cannot be good for my heart even though I am able at this time to exercise with a reasonable endurance, it occurred to me how long can I keep this level of exercise up with so high excess body fat

Without knowing just exactly what to do about the situation I have decided that crisps, chocky biscuits, Pepsi Max and whisky are now on the forbidden list. My intake of bread from the "Continental" bakery on Soi Khao Noi will have to continue as I dont think that I can handle omitting all of my favourite foods at one hit.

I still think that my other comments about intake over output are valid though and the daily use of exercise for me at any rate an absolute must

So once again please accept my sincere apology, I really think it must be an age thing.

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

There is one other point that may be worth discussing. The body is one magnificent, efficient, adaptable machine. I remember those many decades ago when I took up running. The pounds just dropped off as if by magic. I was certain that I had discovered the secret to life and staying skinny.

Now I know better. I still run, bike and swim. This week I will run 30 miles. And I still must watch what I eat and even with all this exercise I can easily put on pounds.

When you begin a diet the pounds will drop and then the body will adapt. And the pounds will get harder to loose. Add advancing years and the problem is even more severe. And it works the same when you implement an exercise program. As we age our metabolism slows and we need fewer calories than we did when we were young.

I always thought the Big Guy had it backwards when He created us. As we get older we should be able to eat more instead of less. At least for me, each bite is much more appreciated than back in the day when quantity was my primary criteria.

• Like 1

But I am still pro exercise as it has the advantage of keeping muscle and that burns calories. Plus its good for your health bones / and cardiovascular system.

Again moderation is key. Bodyweight exercises, easy on the joints, with greatly reduced risk of injury, are all one needs for physical fitness.

1390972747889.jpg

I think that I must be in "Denial"

I had a second look at sixpacks very informative and instructive posts and links and reread my own "In denial" replies so first things first.

JSixpack and others,I hold my hands up high and must say that you have been right and my arguments wrong!

What was the cause of this sudden turn round in my thinking?

Well I took a sideways look in the mirror yesterday and noticed that I had a tub that stuck out in front of me that confirmed that although reasonably fit my protruding belly insisted otherwise and I am not just talking about a little bit of stomach I'm talking about very discernible excess visceral fat.

This cannot be good for my heart even though I am able at this time to exercise with a reasonable endurance, it occurred to me how long can I keep this level of exercise up with so high excess body fat

Without knowing just exactly what to do about the situation I have decided that crisps, chocky biscuits, Pepsi Max and whisky are now on the forbidden list. My intake of bread from the "Continental" bakery on Soi Khao Noi will have to continue as I dont think that I can handle omitting all of my favourite foods at one hit.

I still think that my other comments about intake over output are valid though and the daily use of exercise for me at any rate an absolute must

So once again please accept my sincere apology, I really think it must be an age thing.

Apology accepted. So glad you've seen the light. I figured you must in fact be somewhat overweight. I also suspected your other numbers probably aren't that great. You're probably insulin resistant to some degree. Everyone's metabolism is different, but the average person eating your high carb diet will suffer sooner rather than later, exercise or not.

So, with exercise (I like your low-impact cardio program) AND diet, you may be on the way to adding years to your lifespan--while feeling good physically.

Old age does seem to promote rigid attitudes that can seem silly. But you're not alone: I hear the same from much younger forum members, esp. the gym rats: "I know what I know 'cause I know it, won't listen to anything else, but if I did listen, I wouldn't understand it; or if I understood it, I wouldn't believe it, 'cause I know what I know 'cause I know it."

It's the typical ignorant calories in/calories out "argument" here. True believers will even resort to lying about the low carb diet and repeating nonsense about it. Must be awfully threatening to the HUGE investment in gym fees, sweat, injuries, pulling the skin off chicken before eating, counting calories and even weighing food.

Anyway, now that you're a bit more open-minded, you've made a good beginning by giving up the crisps and chocky biscuits. Keep the (sugarless) Pepsi Max and whisky if you drink the whisky neat or w/ water or soda water in moderation. (I like whisky myself.) The "bread from the "Continental" bakery on Soi Khao Noi" should go ASAP. Give up fruits except for berries. No honey, oatmeal, or muesli. After two weeks on a truly low carb diet, you'll get over the addiction to bread, breading, and sweets. (I did!) The consolation is that you can substitute fat and protein for the carbs. Bacon, cheese, butter, cream, full fat (sugarless) yogurt are allowed. Incredible but true. Within certain food limitations, you can eat until you're full. No starvation. Most people find it the easiest diet possible, once they try it a few weeks.

Here's the short form of the low carb diet: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QWYzekZIVmZYU28/edit?pli=1

Accompanying vid by Dr. Eric Westman,Lifestyle Medicine Clinic, Duke University Medical Center:

Here's a longer form: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QnJvcndCV3hyNWM/edit?pli=1

After you get down to your ideal weight, you can start experimenting adding carbs back in. Now try the oatmeal (though oat bran is better) for example. You can splurge sometimes.

Numerous resources about low carb are on the 'net now. To educate yourself, you might start by reading Mark's Daily Apple--the paleo version of low carb, but the paleo part needn't be paid too much attention. Great success stories here; if they can do it, you can:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/#axzz2kmSdwnuo

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

And maybe watching a few vids will help in understanding the problem, which isn't so much HOW MUCH we eat but WHAT we eat and what our body does with it. To choose a few at random:

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

But I am still pro exercise as it has the advantage of keeping muscle and that burns calories. Plus its good for your health bones / and cardiovascular system.

Again moderation is key. Bodyweight exercises, easy on the joints, with greatly reduced risk of injury, are all one needs for physical fitness.

1390972747889.jpg

cheesy.gif

Good one though i can laugh about it now.. not when it happened. It is actually the only injury i ever had. (have). Will be training soon i hope. But if you read in any of my post you will see i advise in exercise that you like doing and for some that is going to a gym. For the majority it is not.

I am still pissed off about the quality of the belt that broke but it wont keep me from doing it again. Body-weight is just not heavy enough for me. I was doing dips (you know the triceps exercise lowering myself and pushing my body weight up) but i needed more weight. The result is visible.

Since I have adopted my new way of eating healthily Can someone please advise how I can stop thinking about food all the time. when I wasnt on the Low carbs diet as proscribed I didn't really think of food too much , now I seem to be thinking about it all the time and hungry all the time, what's going on here, is my brain playing tricks with me?