A code required for withdrawals

I am trying to withdraw cash using my Aussie credit card, all goes well then the ATMs keep asking to renter a code. What is this code??? Its defo not my pin. Have never seen this before.

Any help appreciated.

Happens on various atms

Sounds like it may be looking for a SMS code the card-issuing bank sends your mobile phone for certain transactions. Some cards issued by certain banks have that SMS feature. Unfortunately, the SMS may only be sent to cell carriers within your home country.

Sounds like it may be looking for a SMS code the card-issuing bank sends your mobile phone for certain transactions. Some cards issued by certain banks have that SMS feature. Unfortunately, the SMS may only be sent to cell carriers within your home country.

I don't have any problem receiving the SMS on my phone from overseas. And as an alternative you can request a small keypad device from your bank which comes on a key ring and that will also receive the one-time pin number

I am trying to withdraw cash using my Aussie credit card, all goes well then the ATMs keep asking to renter a code. What is this code??? Its defo not my pin. Have never seen this before.

Any help appreciated.

Happens on various atms

You know if you mentioned the name of the bank that issued your credit card then maybe someone here on Thai Visa who uses the same bank might be able to assist you with your query

Also why are you using a credit card at an ATM ? The cash advance rate will eat you alive since you are charged interest on the money from the moment it is dispensed

Best call the bank , i know obvious BUT some Aus banks have added an additional code for atms in Thailand .... A lot of scams apparently ... Had an issue with a Com Bank card .... CHOKDEE !!

Spoken to three people at NAB, they are all clueless :/

=================

This is extra security implemented by your home country bank.

My U.S. bank just did this in October 2013.

Supposedly provides better security for the customer, but really doesn't.

Real problem is that they "text" a code to you via your cellphone.

But as someone else mentioned, "texting" a code doesn't work outside your home country.

As to why they simply assume that "texting" a code to your (easily intercepted and monitored cell phone) is somehow more secure than a password controlled by you on a secure computer link (as my bank seems to do), I have no comment.

Edited by IMA_FARANG