Protester says he clearly saw Suthin's killers

webfact

With this he may very well have signed his death warrant.

Exactly.....why the hell does the press have to post witnesses names?

It's a shameful reporting habit from equally dreadful reporters and editors!

It's called Media guide lines, unfortunately Thailand has none.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is this the guy shown in the video being beaten in the Pickup if it is then he was a fair distance from Suthin. Did he clearly see the person who pulled the trigger killing Suthin or did he clearly see the people who attacked him whilst he was sitting in the back of the pickup?

Guy in the pick-up, yes. Saw a picture of him bloodied and apparently trying to make a phone call (to police?). Can't remember where I saw it now. Apparently police got there about 10 minutes after it was over.

Police arriving after it was over is the MO

Too scared to get shot? too untrained to know what to do?

Paid to do nothing?

Police officers usually arrive at crime scenes after the crime has happened, don't they?

Not if they help arrange it. Maybe just in advance to turn cctv cameras away from the direction the crime will occur. Nice reputation they have, huh?

• Like 1

yet another useless victim, just to be used as a political weapon for either side and no happy ending coming. This is bad enough, but what keeps blowing my mind are some reactions from expats, who supposedly should know better what this is about.

Bluespunk- And when exactly did this 75 year old man do all these things you allege happened?

Where in my post did I specifically refer to this 75 year old man? I was speaking in generalities, or perhaps you were unable to discern that.

They were pretty specific for generalities.

• Like 2

"He kept calling on the police for help, but no one stepped forward". Yeah well if you attack police stations, tear down signs to show disrespect, shut off the electricity, the police are not going to be all that interested in helping you.

My thoughts are with the thousands of ordinary decent citizens of Bang Na constituency who were prevented from casting their votes by these armed terrorists.

You really are a heartless individual aren't you...?! This a 75-year old man...!!

Does it never occur to you that when someone loses their life in this current mess, and a very old man gets beaten up, if you don't have anything a little more appropriate to say about such tragedies, it is far better to <deleted>, as opposed to trying to justify the ineptitude of the police...!!

Age doesn't give anyone the right to prevent 40 million people from voting. If you step in front of a truck you're going to get hurt.

Is there no end to your totally biased bullshit nonsense...?

"He kept calling on the police for help, but no one stepped forward". Yeah well if you attack police stations, tear down signs to show disrespect, shut off the electricity, the police are not going to be all that interested in helping you.

My thoughts are with the thousands of ordinary decent citizens of Bang Na constituency who were prevented from casting their votes by these armed terrorists.

You really are a heartless individual aren't you...?! This a 75-year old man...!!

Does it never occur to you that when someone loses their life in this current mess, and a very old man gets beaten up, if you don't have anything a little more appropriate to say about such tragedies, it is far better to <deleted>, as opposed to trying to justify the ineptitude of the police...!!

Age doesn't give anyone the right to prevent 40 million people from voting. If you step in front of a truck you're going to get hurt.

That's what I like about TVF. You can use intemperate language like "<deleted>" and "bullshit nonsense" and no one takes away your right to vent.

Where DO all those policemen go when you need them?

I guess if you really want to attract their attention just jump on the nearest motorcycle helmetless and preferably with a lighted cigarette end in your hand.

This shooting happened only a short walk from Bangna Police Station.

1. Don't expect the police on site to do anything

2. Don't publicize plans too much in detail (gives the opposition too much info though it seems the Thais are too courteous and always announce their staging plans). Suthin was already a marked target for a while because of his PTT/Thaksin scrutiny

3. Always have 3-4 video camera men on the scene filming the protest from different directions in case something happens

4. Stop the protest

Not convinced Suthin was deliberately targetted. I'm guessing these guys showing up was arranged locally, not planned in advance.

Like you say, you're just guessing. But your guesses always a little sympathetic in one direction.

Strange, Chalerm takes over CMPO and wush somebody is dead, violence increases. I'm guessing it may be a coincidence.

• Like 1

As one reads more of this story the more justifiable outrage one feels. The emergency decree was presumably brought in to tighten the police presence on the ground. And yet since it was implemented, the police presence has all but disappeared. The police are no longer monitoring areas of likely confrontation - like polling stations. They are now perceived by the public as being purposefully elsewhere, purposefully unmoved by distress calls of carnage, and purposefully managing to be careful to not enter a scene of carnage too early so as not to accidentally encounter any perpetrators. Unfortunately that is what the public thinks. Unfortunately the public thinks that the police are allowing armed vigilante thugs to do what they will. That's unfortunately the public perception. And who can blame them ? Why does the public perceive this ? It hasn't been accidental. They perceive it because - time and time again - the police aren't there - time after time again - the police don't answer distress calls - and time after time again - the police arrive well after the fact. How can they think otherwise ? That pattern of behavior is either the result of really bad luck. Or it's something else. Ask any Thai on the street at these areas and they will tell you that that is what their perception is. They will tell you that they do not trust the police. And the police have done nothing by their actions to dispel that perception. They have had many opportunities to change that perception. But they haven't used them to change that perception and gain their trust. Either they are very bad at what they do, or they are enablers. Those are the two possibilities. Who knows what the police investigation will say.

" ...he kept calling on the police for help, but nobody stepped forward. "

A 75 year old man is beaten into unconsciousness in broad daylight. When 50 people armed with guns and homicidal rage are allowed to pass police checkpoints, enter a scene and do what they please, and exit it again through those same police checkpoints - how can the public possibly, possibly be not enraged ? Is this what peace and order looks like to Chalerm ? The whole of CMPO and the whole of the police should be hanging their heads in shame. They have betrayed the trust of the people, and in the most vile way.

• Like 1

Your post makes assumptions which I think are incorrect.

"When 50 people armed with guns and homicidal rage are allowed to pass police checkpoints, enter a scene and do what they please, and exit it again through those same police checkpoints"

What makes you think there were police checkpoints? From the videos that I have seen, the incident took place on a public road. I don't recall seeing any police checkpoints in any of the videos.

"the police arrive well after the fact"

Well, yes. Usually the police (in any country, anywhere in the world) arrive to the crime scene AFTER a crime has been committed.

1. Don't expect the police on site to do anything

2. Don't publicize plans too much in detail (gives the opposition too much info though it seems the Thais are too courteous and always announce their staging plans). Suthin was already a marked target for a while because of his PTT/Thaksin scrutiny

3. Always have 3-4 video camera men on the scene filming the protest from different directions in case something happens

4. Stop the protest

You forgot to add that there,under Yinglucks instructions, should also be a police presence in order to protect the protesters from this sort of malevolence and that any contingent of Red shirts should be kept well away.

Just another example of the ability and incompetence of this mercenary constabulary.

Bluespunk- And when exactly did this 75 year old man do all these things you allege happened?

Where in my post did I specifically refer to this 75 year old man? I was speaking in generalities, or perhaps you were unable to discern that.

They were pretty specific for generalities.

Some posters on here really do need to have their English language reading and comprehension skills tested and evaluated, as its clear they are unable to discern between "generalizations as a whole" and "specifics".

I regret the death of Suthin and the other violence. It was absolutely wrong, and incidentally not in the interest of the government side. However, the criminal violence does not make the criminal act of blocking polling stations right or excuse the intimidation and violence suffered by ordinary voters (and caught on many internet video clips). I'm afraid that I cannot see the people who drove to Bang Na that day to subvert the democratic process as courageous citizens; the people who showed guts were the men and women who struggled to cast their votes while harassed by the the mob. You will notice that this is the main story in the international press, and so it should be, because in the bigger picture the old Thai elite's attempt to move away from democracy will cost more than a single life.

• Like 2

I can't help feeling that none of the so-called thugs are anyway near as dangerous as some of the nasty pieces of work that post condoning a killing. It's no wonder that some Thais have a poor opinion of Farangs.

Since when does any protestor - whether it's 2010 or 2014 - deserve to die for their principles? Since when were the Samut Prakern red mob appointed to guard a polling station? Since when is 'defending' voters by shooting unarmed protestors justified?

I for one will not hesitate to follow Craig's suggestion to report blood-thirsty posts.

• Like 2

Oh that's a good one. Everyone who tears down a sign or is associated with someone who tears down a sign can and should be shot with impunity? Please! (heavy sarcasm). How can anyone in good conscience condone killing someone or standing by and not preventing someone being killed or beaten badly because they might have torn down a sign. Even if they defecated on it, no excuse and even less excuse for someone not associated with it condoning it.

Once again mr yellow shirt wants the police to be involved when it is too late,

anyway I read you yellows saying the police are of no use,so why are you crying wolf now?

Edited by lostinsurin

Yes, biased+bullshit+nonsense... summarise rather well! biggrin.png

Edited by Tchooptip

So is this the guy shown in the video being beaten in the Pickup if it is then he was a fair distance from Suthin. Did he clearly see the person who pulled the trigger killing Suthin or did he clearly see the people who attacked him whilst he was sitting in the back of the pickup?

If you get these answers, what are you going to do about it ??

In all fairness to the police I would say it was a result of their training. There is gun fire and an alleged explosion a dangerous situation and you don't just rush in. Most police have a operational safety principles which include steps.

Safety First (to police because if your dead you are of no use to the public)

Risk assessment

Take charge

Planned response

Cordon and contain

Avoid confrontation

Avoid force.

10 minute response in such an incident is quite good.

You forgot the first step - form a committee. Sorry, how fascist of me - make that elect a committee.

"10 minute response in such an incident is quite good"...........for the BIB and the assailants, not so good for those being assaulted and killed.

Edited by JRSoul

That coin has 2 sides. If the Thai police were prompt, efficient, unbiased and zealous in their duties they might earn the respect of the public. The current shower of lazy extortionists has the respect of no-one, least of all the protesters calling for reform of their sinecure.