F1 2014

rixalex

Brake-in at Red Bull, or more to the point a ram raid, over sixty trophies stolen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30359781

wonder where Sebastian was on Friday night???whistling.gif

As Lewis was saying to Bernie the other week they are not as good as they used to be, just rather tatty trash these days. wai2.gif

Wow that is pretty nuts/odd

Probably two drunks woke up this morning with a truckload of empty beer cans & a lot of trophies.

Probably have some drunken selfies on facebook already with their trophies wink.png

BBC reporting that Button has secured the seat to drive alongside Alonso. Button's deal around 6m. Half of what he was getting. Alonso apparently on around 25m, making him the top paid driver in F1.

Anyway, great news for Jenson. Think he thoroughly deserved it. Couldn't believe what Grosjean was saying this week about Jenson having had his time in F1 and how he should give the younger drivers a go.

(Sorry.. was composing when you guys posted above)

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

BBC reporting that Button has secured the seat to drive alongside Alonso. Button's deal around 6m. Half of what he was getting. Alonso apparently on around 25m, making him the top paid driver in F1.

Anyway, great news for Jenson. Think he thoroughly deserved it. Couldn't believe what Grosjean was saying this week about Jenson having had his time in F1 and how he should give the younger drivers a go.

I wonder how the kids would do if they had to do more than press a few buttons to set up the car? I was watching a Top Gear episode yesterday and they mentioned the JPS car that Clarkson said did not change for 5 seasons cos it was that good.

• Like 1

25 Million...

Did Alonso dictated they keep button in preference to Kevin Magnussen, he can not stand being beaten by a junior team mate...

Or was it if they kept Magnussen and he was out preforming the Spaniard McLaren would look stupid paying him all that money.

As they both have the same cars maybe they should put 30 million in a pot and divide it out on points scored.

Sorry for Kevin Magnussen a rookie that did well in his first season, now looks like he is out of F1 next year.

25 Million...

Did Alonso dictated they keep button in preference to Kevin Magnussen, he can not stand being beaten by a junior team mate...

Or was it if they kept Magnussen and he was out preforming the Spaniard McLaren would look stupid paying him all that money.

As they both have the same cars maybe they should put 30 million in a pot and divide it out on points scored.

Sorry for Kevin Magnussen a rookie that did well in his first season, now looks like he is out of F1 next year.

Alonso is well known as being a driver who likes to have considerable control over the team he drives for so I'm sure he would have had some sort of input over who his teammate would be... but whether he would have pushed for Button over Magnusson is hard to say in my opinion. Button might slightly less motivated than an up and coming rookie but he's also less inclined to be happy playing second fiddle, and will not be in awe of his teammate.

Either way, whichever driver Alonso preferred, I think that he would/will have no problems dominating in the team, because with all respect to Jenson and Kevin, Alonso is on another level. I think he demonstrated that by the way he blew Kimi out of the water this season.

Whether or not things work out well for Alonso at McLaren is another matter. Just can't help feeling that as soon as the going gets rough, Alonso and Dennis will be at each other's throats. This is purely a marriage of convenience and I don't think either camp trusts the other in the slightest. Going to be interesting.

Kev's still there as a back up driver, for when Alonso spits the dummy.

Alonso's patience must be wafer thin now, having effectively wasted the last few years going pretty much nowhere at Ferrari. Alonso's expectations with McLaren will I think be to replicate what Lewis did at Mercedes. First year getting settled into the team, developing the car, getting a couple if wins and a handful of podiums. Second year fighting for the title and winning it. That's the script I'm sure he has in his head. It's the script that McLaren would have sold him. If things fall short of that, things might get ugly pretty quickly.

Had Ron kept Magnussen, it would have been 2007 all over again... Fernando had a say in who he wanted as a teammate and he chose Jens for a reason... If I were Jens, as a WDC, I would consider a 50% cut in pay as a slap in the face...

I wonder how the kids would do if they had to do more than press a few buttons to set up the car? I was watching a Top Gear episode yesterday and they mentioned the JPS car that Clarkson said did not change for 5 seasons cos it was that good.

it has been demonstrated that while the kids could step into an old car and get it around the track, it is highly unlikely sir stirling moss or any of his ilk could even get a modern f1 car moving, let alone finish a lap

If I were Jens, as a WDC, I would consider a 50% cut in pay as a slap in the face...

Somewhat true for many but I think in JB's case as he has often said he has nothing to prove now.

I think it showed this year that he is driving for the love of the sport now & seems super relaxed & enjoying

the whole show now.

He seems very comfortable in his skin. Also while 6 million ( not sure if dollars or lbs) if correct is a fraction of the top dogs...

Still in the twilight of ones career a 12 million guarantee over 2 years doing something you love is a nice

spot to be in.

Also there may be a bonus plan for podiums/wins etc then you also have the sponsors side deals for helmets, watches etc etc

JB has proved time and again that he races because he loves it. He earns enough and there's spin-offs that he enjoys doing which make a bit more, but honestly -- what on earth does anyone a salary of multi-millions for? There' s only so much you can spend. Rich people are never happy -- unless they are totally superficial -- they are too worried about losing money on something.. FA is making mega bucks and doing what? Is he any happier than JB? I think not ;)

it has been demonstrated that while the kids could step into an old car and get it around the track, it is highly unlikely sir stirling moss or any of his ilk could even get a modern f1 car moving, let alone finish a lap

Back in their day there were serious consequences for going off track. Going off the the circuit these days hardly slows the cars down.

bring back gravel traps and straw bales? wink.png (non combustible straw of course smile.png

Back then the cars were a lot slower......... these days gravel traps or bales would do very little to even slow the cars

Catch-fencing ? The drivers need to know that when they go off-track they don't get back on,,,,,,,,

bring back gravel traps and straw bales? wink.png (non combustible straw of course smile.png

Back then the cars were a lot slower......... these days gravel traps or bales would do very little to even slow the cars

Catch-fencing ? The drivers need to know that when they go off-track they don't get back on,,,,,,,,

Eddie Irvine would agree. Only driver he never beat was MS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brake-in at Red Bull, or more to the point a ram raid, over sixty trophies stolen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30359781

wonder where Sebastian was on Friday night???whistling.gif

As Lewis was saying to Bernie the other week they are not as good as they used to be, just rather tatty trash these days. wai2.gif

CCTV pictures on BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30913638

Not very bright lot, looks like the doors were actually open.cheesy.gif

The stolen trophies did not include the F1 championship and constructors' awards, which were not at the factory.

did they not go to Mercedes giggle.gif

• 2 weeks later...