Court Sentences Gunman To Execution

Rimmer

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capital punishment is wrong and barbaric no matter the crime. It will be a great day when Thailand join the ranks of countries that abolishes the death sentence.

I personally believe that ending the Death Sentences is what encourages Barbaric acts like we saw in London with the Hacking Death of an off duty Soldier and there are many more in many Countries.

I have never been one way or the other , but in an instance like this YEAH . He Danced , give me a break !

coffee1.gif

You really believe that religious extremists would be deterred by capital punishment? You mean the same guys who are happy to blow themselves up in a crowd so that they can spend eternity with a gaggle of virgins? The fact of the matter is that people were still committing heinous and barbaric crimes when capital punishment was on the books. More of them, in fact, if you look at the sweep of history. Capital punishment has very little if any deterrent effect (especially in the kinds of cases like the one you mentioned). The function it primarily fulfills is a psychological one: it brings some balance and redress to a terrible situation. The person killed (etc) someone, so we all feel better if he is killed in return. "He deserves it", we say. An eye for an eye, we think. But we feel squeamish about the primitive nature of the 'eye for an eye' argument so we construct the deterrence argument. That also makes us feel better... we're not seeking 'revenge' in order to restore the feeling of justice, we're trying to improve society. But that's self-delusion not borne out by the facts...

Capital punishment is wrong and barbaric no matter the crime. It will be a great day when Thailand join the ranks of countries that abolishes the death sentence.

I agree and I recall the trial of the 9/11 hijacker Zacarias Moussaou where the death sentence was requested by the prosecution. On May 3, 2006, a jury decided against the death penalty for Moussaoui. The next day, he was sentenced to life in prison without parole. As he was led out of the courtroom, Moussaoui clapped his hands and said, "America, you lost... I won." Judge Brinkema responded by telling him that he would "die with a whimper" and "never get a chance to speak again." They refused to make him a martyr and he now sits alone in a cell for the rest of his life.

In the case of Zacarias Moussaou, there exists a chance he might be released in the future, since the future is not known...an execution is final.

Re: martyrdom - that's just a religious myth invented by clerics to justify and glorify a fanatic's death to the rest of the herd "inspired" by it. "Martyrdom" is a human invention, a sham and a means to "reward" a follower's sacrifice with absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Watch the video of him murdering two ladies and then dancing a jig rolleyes.gif . Folk like you who have a problem with this sentence should offer YOUR cash to keep him in jail for life eh........thumbsup.gif You up for it........?

In the US sentencing someone to death ends up costing the taxpayer a lot more than a life sentence. Not sure about the situation here in LOS.

Yes, and the problem is with the tortuous process of appeal after appeal after appeal, and how long each appeal takes, and all the bureaucracy involved, NOT with the concept of execution itself! It takes way too long and should cost the taxpayers a whole lot less, but then the trial lawyers wouldn't stand to make as much, would they? A murderer is a predator, and forfeits his right to live among, and certainly to be supported by, the rest of us: it's just that simple. The execution itself is similarly tortuous & staged as well. Simply hang 'em, shoot 'em, or gas 'em with CO (if it's good enough for suicides, it's more than good enough for executions!) - much cheaper & easier than this made-for-TV lethal injection crap.

Oh, and for those that think the death penalty isn't a deterrent, that's because of the absolutely ludicrous delay between crime & punishment. By the time the punishment rolls around, everyone (except perhaps the family of the victim, to whom we afford almost NO rights!) has forgotten the crime! (Exactly as critics of the death penalty intend, so that they can then argue the lack of deterrent value...) Make it timely, and make it public. Televise it. Put deterrence BACK into the equation.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

I agree 100%. How can a society condemn the taking of a life if it has the death penalty? There is no evidence to suggest that the death penalty prevents people from carrying out murders. There have been so many people wrongly found guilty of murder in western countries due to police incompetence and wrong doing. If just one innocent person is executed then this is one too many. Imprison these people for life and make them work to pay their way. That's a proper punishment. The death penalty is the easy way out.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't believe there is any question regardiing guilt or innocence in this particular case. As seen on the video, it is about as cold blooded a murder as you will find. In this particular case, the sentence is more than justified.

Well I think I understand the news story, heavy going...

As for the translation may be Google translation would be easier on the gray matter...

Sad to say that both Google and Bing "Translations" are worthless garbage. Neither of them ever get it right!

Uhm - sorry - but did anyone actually read the wonderfully written article in Pattaya Daily News? There isn't a word about "execution" there - it says "...the judgment that sentenced Mr. Yossaphon to prison for 6 months in the allegation of carrying a gun and murder". Only in the headline does it say "Court sentences gunman to execution" - what goes???

Good result.

However, I am a little confused about the indemnities that the court ordered that he pays.

The court sentenced to divide into 2 circumstances for the case that the defendant murdered Miss Kewalin and Mrs. Wimol that he has to pay indemnity to the plaintiff in the amount of 1,200,000 THB and pay indemnity to 2 minors of Mrs. Wimol in the amount of 1,410,000 THB.

How can they enforce this, have the courts already confiscated this money from Mr. Yossaphon?

What punishment can the court mete out if he cannot or refuses to pay?

I personally believe that ending the Death Sentences is what encourages Barbaric acts like we saw in London with the Hacking Death of an off duty Soldier and there are many more in many Countries.

I have never been one way or the other , but in an instance like this YEAH . He Danced , give me a break !

coffee1.gif

When I heard about this story yesterday the first thing that came into my mind is 'this guy was sentenced to death because he danced, not because of the double murder'.

New rule: Don't be dancing in the LOS after committing cold-blooded murder. I can live with that.

I will add, if a real cop was around and witnessed the murders the guy would have received a double tap and sent him to the same place he is going.

A real cop!? In Thailand?

If a 'real' Thai cop had witnessed the murders he'd probably just get paid to keep quiet.

Uhm - sorry - but did anyone actually read the wonderfully written article in Pattaya Daily News? There isn't a word about "execution" there - it says "...the judgment that sentenced Mr. Yossaphon to prison for 6 months in the allegation of carrying a gun and murder". Only in the headline does it say "Court sentences gunman to execution" - what goes???

Horrible writing, yes, but did you read the whole thing? I wish I could read this story in real English somewhere else.

But look at the bottom of paragraph two:

"...also he acted in a way to ridicule the law without being fearful for his offence by walking and dancing after murdering the 2 victims therefore the court sentenced to punish him with execution."

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2014/01/28/court-sentences-gunman-to-execution/

• Like 1

so there is a rule of law in Thailand! I was wondering......

"I was wondering......"

That's because you allow the most vocal Thai Visa posters, whose grasp on reality is at best tenuous, to fill your head with bar stool fantasies.

The prisons in Thailand are not empty. The people incarcerated in them didn't check themselves in.

happyinthailand is only happy when running the country and it's people down. His anal comments are no better than that of red flag waving halfwits. whistling.gif

There's only one reason he got the death penalty. The family of the slain women have more money than him.

Such a STUPID comment, comments like this should be banned.

Don't you think there might be a grain of truth in that comment?

Money talks very loudly in this country, and it's not exactly known for it's integrity and lack of corruption.

• Like 1

Horrible writing, yes, but did you read the whole thing? I wish I could read this story in real English somewhere else.

But look at the bottom of paragraph two:

"...also he acted in a way to ridicule the law without being fearful for his offence by walking and dancing after murdering the 2 victims therefore the court sentenced to punish him with execution."

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2014/01/28/court-sentences-gunman-to-execution/

Okay - I admit to being overwhelmed by the way the article was written... I guess we must assume that the was first sentenced to 6 months and subsequently to death by a higher court - or something.

Capital punishment should be used more in my opinion.

Capital Punishment in fact does not deter crime of any sort or magnitude.

Death is instant and therefore freedom of the conscious. It may satisfy the victims families

and some "eye for an eye" mentality here on TV and in the world. It truth Capital Punishment gives the criminal closure

and in the long term never gives the families complete solace after all their loved ones are still gone.

Life without parole or pardons seems a much more sever punishment than death.

• Like 1

Death is instant and therefore freedom of the conscious. It may satisfy the victims families

and some "eye for an eye" mentality here on TV and in the world. It truth Capital Punishment gives the criminal closure

and in the long term never gives the families complete solace after all their loved ones are still gone.

Someone who drinks the Kool-Aid...

Well I think I understand the news story, heavy going...

As for the translation may be Google translation would be easier on the gray matter...

So criminal court sentenced him to death and cilival court have him 6 months for month and carrying and unlicensed fire arm

That don't make sense

Cilival cases are for compensation pay outs

coffee1.gif

Abolition of the death sentence is an absolutely must. None of us have the right to take another person's life, not even the State, on our behalf.

I do believe we need much more effective life sentences. As in all of life, to remove the possibility of the murderer re-commiting the offence.

Never to be released should mean that. Life in many countries is 20-25, out in 10 for good behaviour.

Life in exile on a prison island, used to be the punishment. Inescapable, rendered out of our harms way.

Real duration of life, would be a realistic deterrent.

Nevertheless, one would fail to feel sorry for this bloke. No matter what happened to him.

I am sorry but you are wrong

If I for example was planning on shooting someone. Specially in the same way he did then I doubt he would be dancing afterwords

He probably been nicked in the past Abd thought he could get away with it now has death penalty

I mean the arrogance of it

Under a CCTV camera in a car show room then be dance after