Rice-pledging scheme: Thai farmers driven to despair

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rucus7: It only seemed like a good idea because noone bothered to look at the details. Instead they saw baht signs in their head and quickly agreed. The gov offering more money than market value should have been incentive enough for people to be wary. As always in the past "if it looks or sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true". Everyone is learning thiS lesson the hard way now

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Trying to feel sorry for these farmers who voted for Thaksin and his clone, but am having a hard time doing

so. They voted for a liar who told them they would become rich, and now they are paying the price.....

Yes, thats real sad, remembers me to the thousans suicides in the India Monsanto case...The life of the poor is nothing for them. sad.png

The downside for farmers here in Thailand that have not been paid, is that their farms will now be available for sale......another aspect of the scheme that is meant to keep the poor people poor....

Now the businessmen and politicians can move in, once again, and buy up more huge tracts of prime farm land for rent back to these same farmers.

The rice scheme has not only created enormous wealth for the already wealthy, but left taxpayers again to foot the bill.

Hopefully, the NACC will continue their corruption probes to the many politicians as they have stated......this of course remains to be seen.

The question that may be asked now is, was it all planned?...

If ir was, that's the greatest betrayal of all in the rice scam.

On BBC just now.

"I don't think I'll vote for them again, as I haven;t been paid (for my rice)."

So they can vote for the Democrats instead and see off the Shinawatra party. Oh no, hang on a second, the Democrats have given two fingers to democracy so the farmers don't have an alternative to vote for. Looks like its going to be the Shins again, thanks to the Democrats dereliction of duty.

• Like 1

On BBC just now.

"I don't think I'll vote for them again, as I haven;t been paid (for my rice)."

So they can vote for the Democrats instead and see off the Shinawatra party. Oh no, hang on a second, the Democrats have given two fingers to democracy so the farmers don't have an alternative to vote for. Looks like its going to be the Shins again, thanks to the Democrats dereliction of duty.

Many former pro-Govt supporters I know will be voting for Chuvit and the Rak Pra Thed Thai party.

• Like 2

Have to disagree. Part of the plan was to withhold this rice from the market, drive up global rice prices, and make a profit by selling into a higher market price. That was one of the selling points they touted.

Only, someone forgot that people can grow rice elsewhere and India and Vietnam stepped up production and kept global rice prices in check by providing a steady supply.

Yes, subsidies exist and had they set forth with a traditional subsidy program and managed it as a subsidy, they wouldn't be in the place they're in. The problem is that the entire program was poorly thought out and poorly executed.

Anybody who took Econ 101 could have seen this coming a mile away. And many economists around the world did see this coming and have been franticly warning Thailand to abandon the rice scheme.

I mean, this isn't rocket science.

The conspiracy to sabotage the rice pledging scheme has been ongoing since its inception.

It was conceived as a money losing subsidized program from day one. It's a subsidy, and a popular one at that. It was intended to lose money.

Even the farmers know it needs to be reformed, and it will be. I also doubt that the Thai civil service has anyone qualified to administer a plan of this scheme's scale. What makes reform more difficult is political sabotage carried out by (self censorship here).

If Thailand can't even organize an election how can anyone expect them to run a scheme of the rice pledging plan's magnitude. Recall the flood a couple of years ago? They need better water resource managers as well.

I can't find a single G7 country that does not afford agricultural subsidies. They are constantly squabbling about them in the WTO and NAFTA. I think this is why Thailand can't offer an outright subsidy as the competing counties would cry foul to the WTO.

Elitists prefer corporate welfare for those "two big to fail". It's all money politics and in Thailand it is uniquely centred mostly around (self censorship here). Thailand isn't broke and isn't going broke any time soon.

This turmoil will continue until the sad day that the inevitable happens and the question of (self censorship here) is resolved, this because most of Thailand is owned by (self censorship here).

When the crap started to hit the fan, 1 gut on here posted he had talked with his uncle about the problems. His uncle said

"It's Abhisit's fault, he let other countries grow rice."

Which just goes to show, you can't fix stupid.

• Like 2

Poor guy needing to sell his tractor.....All because of the rice pledging thing......Really?....Are we sure of that?......Certainly is a heartfelt story against the Govt. as the Opposition likes to spin....Does this farmer have other financial woes not detailed here precipitating this thing?....It is a Govt. policy screwing him up?....."Is it just a stunt putting a 'for sale' sign on a new tractor?...

"The rice-pledging scheme, one of Pheu Thai Party's populist policies..."..

.Another shot at the policies of this Govt. consistently demonized by denigrating a political notion called 'Populism"

Populism defined: Policies for ordinary people....The significance of this is that the DP cannot hope to win on a national level until they propose serious policies which would benefit the majority of the electorate. But they have consistently opposed the universal health care system, the job creation policies, this rice support scheme and any infrastructural development projects. They reject state spending on the population and instead favour local patronage.

Instead of reforming themselves to reverse their unelectability resulting from these agenda's, they can only envision systemic changes....Electoral Democracy in other countries are filled with examples of a seemingly down-and-out political party resurrecting itself and winning national elections by reforming its' policies and leadership......It baffles me why the DP cannot fathom this....I can only attribute it to arrogant, holier-than-thou convictions of being the sole repository of political wisdom, and a dogma that the electorate must conform to their enlightened approach.

Edited by Fryslan boppe
  • Like 1