Noppadon's letter to UN sec gen

webfact

Noppadon's letter to UN sec gen

Office of Mr Noppadon Pattama Member of Phue Thai Party Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand

29 January 2014
His Excellency Mr Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations

United Nations Headquarters
1st Ave. and 46th Street, New York, NY 10017 USA

Excellency,

With the upcoming general election in Thailand designated to take place on February 2nd, and the advanced election already taken place on January 26th, it appears that the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), under the leadership of Mr Suthep Thaugsuban and others political groups, which stage anti-government protest in Bangkok to force Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to resign, have managed to disrupt and prevent citizens of Thailand from exercising their voting rights. The PDRC demands that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra quit so that it can set up the People Council, of which its members will be undemocratically appointed by Mr Suthep. He vowed and told his supporters to prevent and block the election to be held on February 2nd, by whatever means they can.

During the advanced election on January 26th, the PDRC and other related groups were trying to disrupt the advanced election by taking a number of uncivil actions including, among others, closing the doors of several polling stations by chains, forbidding voters to enter or depart the polling premises, laying down across the entrance to block access, threatening to use force and inflict bodily harm, all with the view to prevent voters from exercising their democratic rights. Such actions are criminal offences and violate both the Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The PDRC claims that its strategy is based on "non-violent civil disobedience." But I strongly disagree. On the contrary, some of the PDRC protesters have used violence such as trespassing, seizing and locking up government buildings; intimidating civil servants and preventing them from working; blocking public road and threatening the media to report the news as demanded. This is clearly not civil disobedience as the world knows it.

Therefore, I would like to inform you of such violations of laws and human rights and let you know that the PDRC actions destroy democratic process and appeal to you to support free and fair election in Thailand so that process of democratization in Thailand continues and 50 million Thais can determine the course of their future to ensure that Thailand remains a strong member of the UN and global community.

Accept, Excellency, the assurances of my highest consideration.

Noppadon Pattama
Member of Phue Thai Party and
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-29

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading his sentence on what constitutes violence (and his extremely limited understanding of civil disobedience) made me actually laugh. Illegally occupying spaces forbidden to them is a very common facet of civil disobedience.

So, anything not true in this letter?

Yes.

"Some of the PDRC protesters have used violence such as trespassing, seizing and locking up government buildings; intimidating civil servants and preventing them from working; blocking public road and threatening the media to report the news as demanded."

Characterizing these acts as violent. Violence is what the unidentified redshirts have done, namely shooting and throwing hand grenades at peaceful protesters.

• Like 2

About 95%... ANY offers lower than an Ace double?

What is not true?

That your user name is a reflection of the people of Thailand. That is clearly not true. ;) ....... plus all the crap written in the OP letter. My apologies, that's 2 things untrue. Raise you.... I got dealt a '3'.......

• Like 1

"the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) .......????????? ..., under the leadership of Mr Suthep Thaugsuban" and others political groups

​ As I remember - Previously the sentence has been much longer or meanwhile no longer valid?

Yes.

"Some of the PDRC protesters have used violence such as trespassing, seizing and locking up government buildings; intimidating civil servants and preventing them from working; blocking public road and threatening the media to report the news as demanded."

Characterizing these acts as violent. Violence is what the unidentified redshirts have done, namely shooting and throwing hand grenades at peaceful protesters.

That's the best you can up with?

• Like 1

About 95%... ANY offers lower than an Ace double?

What is not true?

That your user name is a reflection of the people of Thailand. That is clearly not true. ;) ....... plus all the crap written in the OP letter. My apologies, that's 2 things untrue. Raise you.... I got dealt a '3'.......

Define the crap in the letter.

I can only assume 2 things.

1) You failed to read the letter.

2)You have zero working knowledge about violence or civil disobedience.

Neither is correct.

What is not true that was written in the letter?

• Like 1