Tonic water shortage

naammanow

It has been going on for quite a while now. The wife will drink it occasionally and the only reason I look for it is I am in the pop isle getting Pepsi Max. When I do find it there is generally only a can or two there. That is at the Tops at the airport Mall.

Yes and it was the same during the big overflow of water last december too..... Whole Isaan like a desert no GT in sight, hahaha

I did however find a new way of gettingt hold of schweppes Tonic water. I went to our biggest hotell in Chaiyaphum, asked to buy

some 15 cans of their tonic water, no problem......

Maybe you should look elsewhere to buy it,,,, just a thought...

Glegolo

This happens from time to time and the factory has obviously not got its act together as there is plenty of ginger ale in stock either that or everyone is suddenly a G & T drinker.

None in Makro, Big C, Hang Dong 2 days ago but the message from staff was"coming soon"

Been told by staff at our nearest Big C that it's a distribution problem. Apparently there are a lot of distribution problems for the Northern area and that's why we see a lot of empty shelves.

One would have thought that the big boys would have got this all worked out by now but hey; this is Thailand !

I've learned to drink my Bombay Sapphire on the rocks. Never a problem finding ice. smile.png

To drink Gin "on the rocks" is in all europeans eyes completely impossible and taste pure shit,

englishmen can do it obviously without any problem.... uaghhhhhh...

It is like the american saying - "No I cant drink schnaps, it is too weared and strong..., and than they poure themselfs

a vodka on the rocks......"

Glegolo

I've scoured plenty of stores and couldn't find any but I finally found some in santitham . Today they had some in Makro superhighway but only about 3 packs of 6, so if you need it get there quick. There has been a 'problem in Bangkok' which is the standard reply from the Coke distributors in Chiang Mai but he did say the they may have some next week. At a guess, I'd say a week or two before stores are re-supplied.

Makro had some today in 6 packs of a new taller and slimmer can. Still 330ml and I think the same price as before.

Wine boxes seem to be in short supply in both Rimping and Makro too - I tried to get some for the Chiang Mai Photographic Group Exhibition* opening last week and had to make do with bottles.

(* 3rd Floor Airport Plaza until Feb 9th - don't miss it!)

Went in a typical Thai liquor store today and they had stacks of tonic water - no shortage at all - just stay away from the big supermarket chains ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On the whole, Thais don't drink tonic water so many of the small liquor stores don't stock it, I know I've looked in many, but those that do, tend to sell it very slowly so it's sometimes a good idea to try the small stores as you suggest. The big stores sell out completely because their demand is much higher and people do tend to look for it in big stores first if their local store doesn't have it. The same was true with Diet Coke a year or so ago.

I've scoured plenty of stores and couldn't find any but I finally found some in santitham . Today they had some in Makro superhighway but only about 3 packs of 6, so if you need it get there quick. There has been a 'problem in Bangkok' which is the standard reply from the Coke distributors in Chiang Mai but he did say the they may have some next week. At a guess, I'd say a week or two before stores are re-supplied.

Now let me get this straight. You have sourced many stores looking for it and when you finally find 3 six packs you don't buy them. Did I miss some thing here.

Also the one who said he had found them in a different style of can. I was wondering if it is like the can's of Pepsi Max?

Makro had some today in 6 packs of a new taller and slimmer can. Still 330ml and I think the same price as before.

Wine boxes seem to be in short supply in both Rimping and Makro too - I tried to get some for the Chiang Mai Photographic Group Exhibition* opening last week and had to make do with bottles.

(* 3rd Floor Airport Plaza until Feb 9th - don't miss it!)

We seem to be going through shortages here and there of various products.

Just wondering if it could be the purchasing agents unable to keep up with the growth of Chiang Mai.

Does seem to be more people calling Chiang Mai home now.

Now let me get this straight. You have sourced many stores looking for it and when you finally find 3 six packs you don't buy them. Did I miss some thing here.

Also the one who said he had found them in a different style of can. I was wondering if it is like the can's of Pepsi Max?

Yes you did miss something and it was in the first sentence. I'll give you a clue ....... where I found it begins with S.

The different can is the same design but is thinner and taller, but still the same volume. Shortages of products have always occurred in Chiang Mai and probably has little to do with the city's growth.

There is a national coconut milk shortage that was caused by the floods in the south damaging the palm trees. Wholesalers like Makro have been out of stock for a month or more and any supplies that do arrive are rationed. Just like the tonic shortage, the small stores still have some but some have already sold out. Small 250ml packs are available in some places but 1 litre packs are scarce.

This story demonstrates the real reason, why Chiang Mai needs a high-speed train-link, forget the hi-so passengers with their executive lunch-boxes, it's really to rush emergency-supplies of much-needed beverages up here ! facepalm.gif

Obvious really ... chin chin ! wai2.gif

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1