Norwegian lawmakers nominate Snowden for Nobel Peace Prize

News_Editor

The NSA would have some real explaining to do if they collect information and then release it for political gains. That would be a little counterproductive since they would likely get sprung.

Considering the volumes of data they have, it would be pretty difficult to read all of that.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all information desired private is illegal,

some is embarrassing and you might not want public,, other information reveals weakness you might not want to reveal, other pertains strategy you might not want others to know in advance,and some information is proprietary.

And why would the government want or need to use such information against me? Even if it was recorded, which it isn't.

You may say it's so they can discredit me for some reason, but if they ever wanted to do that it would be easier and cheaper for them to simply make something up.

You obviously don't get it

They might not want to discredit you, but they might want to discredit your representative,

or any one they perceive as a threat.

Even if the government did keep a recording of me ordering a deep pan mozzarella with extra cheese, how on earth can that, or any other information they may have on me, be used to discredit anyone else?

OK, maybe if they found out I was having an affair with an opposition MP they wanted to discredit and leaked that to the press; but that's more due to our prurience than anything else. We should adopt the French attitude. "The President has a mistress? (Gallic shrug) So what?"

The NSA would have some real explaining to do if they collect information and then release it for political gains. That would be a little counterproductive since they would likely get sprung.

Considering the volumes of data they have, it would be pretty difficult to read all of that.

I know that as it was said by others, the people working in the government are "good men" and would never do anything like this,

but if I was working for the NSA , not being as nice as these "good men" that work there now,

If I was made aware that , let's say the Senate Oversight Committee was about to investigate me, I might be tempted to look at that meta data, and see what I have on these members, that I can use as leverage.

But then of course That's me, and my deviant personality, As we said NSA workers are "good men", and would never,,, do anything like this.thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by sirineou

And all you posters who are totally anti " monitoring " .... ARE being monitored .... clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ....

Yea we know,, that's why we are anti.

actually those who are not anti, are being monitored too.

Edited by sirineou

The UK government already have records on important aspects of my life.

They know about my income from my tax and NIC records.

They know about my health from my medical records.

I imagine that it is very similar in the US and other countries.

That a computer somewhere has noted and then discarded as harmless my phone calls etc. is of no worry to me.

Indeed, if by so doing it allows the government to prevent one terrorist attack, to save just one innocent life, then good.

The argument that a rogue employee of the NSA or GCHQ may use information gleaned in this way to discredit a politician, or anyone else, may have some merit; but only if that person has done something which if made public would cause them to be discredited; corruption, for example.

If elected or appointed officials have anything about them which could be used as leverage then shouldn't we know about it?

I know that as it was said by others, the people working in the government are "good men" and would never do anything like this,

but if I was working for the NSA , not being as nice as these "good men" that work there now,

If I was made aware that , let's say the Senate Oversight Committee was about to investigate me, I might be tempted to look at that meta data, and see what I have on these members, that I can use as leverage.

But then of course That's me, and my deviant personality, As we said NSA workers are "good men", and would never,,, do anything like this.thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why on earth would the Senate Oversight Committee, or any other committee for that matter be investigating an employee of the NSA? And where would they get the information, since they would probably have to ask the NSA!

I wish we didn't live in a world where this collection of data information was anything other than an invasion of privacy. I wish that there had never been any terrorism and that nobody had to look for it. But the reality is that it exists and the internet exists and there are tons of information out there.

We are digressing from the nomination of Snowden, however. The man is a traitor and even for his supporters, he has done nothing to support peace. The rights and liberties of Americans is up for discussion by his supporters, but peace? Really, I don't think so.

If elected or appointed officials have anything about them which could be used as leverage then shouldn't we know about it?

Yes, yes Yesss,

I am with you on this, I vote we make all information collected by the NSA Public,

No more secrets, nothing private. As the song goes"Freedom is just an other word of nothing else to loose"

Free at last, Free at last, Free at last!!!!