Relationships: Western Women/Thai Guys

expat888

I have always been curious and I hope you western females are willing to respond, and that is, with the culture as it is in Thailand, how do you cope with the culture differences compared to the west? Thai guys are quite traditional and are typically dominating and controlling, where I have found that western women don't like being dominated or controlled. Is this something that you adapt to or does your Thai guy adapt to western style relationships?

This forum appears to have quite a feminist following and that is why I am asking. Or is each relationship different depending on the man?

There are 100's of threads covering this already.

But if you are unaware that not every thai man & not every "western" woman confirm to your own notion of behaviours then it is not worth explaining things further ;)

There are 100's of threads covering this already.

But if you are unaware that not every thai man & not every "western" woman confirm to your own notion of behaviours then it is not worth explaining things further wink.png

I understand your point about previous threads but things change quickly in Thailand and there is a new "generation" of westerners coming to Thailand.

That is the point of the thread. If there is a wide spectrum of variations then that is why I ask. If they are all similar, then again, I am curious.

We are all westerners here are we not?

Edited by expat888

i like being dominated and controlled ... but only seeming to be.... steel magnolias... behind the scenes i dominate and control...

Maybe you are making your statement tongue in cheek but that's how I envisioned the relationships to be, but wasn't sure. He would lose face if you dominated him in public especially from a white woman.

Edited by expat888

Tongue in cheek...but btw I live in israel nd its not the same as europe or the states...definitely more like what I said. But u could read our posts years back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I haven't found Thai men to be controlling or dominating in the least. Neither the ones I've been involved with nor the many male halves of Thai couples I know.

It may be different with less educated/lower class men, but among educated Thais, this stereotype doesn't fit in the least in my experience.

i like being dominated and controlled ... but only seeming to be.... steel magnolias... behind the scenes i dominate and control...

I think you would do well to be read some feminist literature.

With your statement - loving the traditional game- you put women back about 100 years.

All coy and pretense...

drop the fascination with control.

Many women don't want to dominate - nor be dominated. It's possible.

You speak like a 'girl'.

Become a woman.

Edited by blaze

O bviously never met me...do good to read other posts by me...and I was rsised in the height of feminist studies in the states and doing mens work in factory in middlle east and one of the first women to take a course of studies to be a safety nd hygiene coordinator for industry for said factory nd my son knows how to cook and my daughters can both drill holes and drive tractors.

Sheryl u r correct...but hubby's village men hang out with men and women with women but I dont see the same 'dominating'that we see here in the middle east

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I haven't found Thai men to be controlling or dominating in the least. Neither the ones I've been involved with nor the many male halves of Thai couples I know.

It may be different with less educated/lower class men, but among educated Thais, this stereotype doesn't fit in the least in my experience.

Possibly, Thai guys know what they are in for and drop the Thai traditional treatment with western women. I mentioned in my previous post about a new generation and maybe the new generation is the Thais adapting to western culture a bit and the guys are adapting to you.

In contrast, I even see younger Thais guys roughing up the Thai girls and the girl plays her role of taking it. That was on the MRT.

So what you are saying you would never consider absorbing that type of treatment even if it was a part of Thai culture. And, whatever answer you have, would you consider that a norm among western women here?

Guess blaze missed the later comment that it was a tongue in cheek comment bina.

As for the notion that Thai men are all such and such a way that's just as disingenuous as saying all Thai women are a certain way or all western women are etc. Yes there are cultural norms but from your initial post I get the feeling that you don't actually understand the culture that well and only take what you think you see on face value.

Possibly, Thai guys know what they are in for and drop the Thai traditional treatment with western women. I mentioned in my previous post about a new generation and maybe the new generation is the Thais adapting to western culture a bit and the guys are adapting to you.

In contrast, I even see younger Thais guys roughing up the Thai girls and the girl plays her role of taking it. That was on the MRT.

So what you are saying you would never consider absorbing that type of treatment even if it was a part of Thai culture. And, whatever answer you have, would you consider that a norm among western women here?

Reread my statement.

I do not find Thai men to be controlling or dominating in relationships with Thai women, either, not among my many Thai friends and associates, and thiswas true as much as 30 years back (yes, I've been in Thailand that long...).

As for seeing abusive behavior on the MRT, I've seen it in the NYC subways too, but it is hardly the norm, in either NYC or Bangkok. Especially not among educated professionals.

• Like 1

Reread my statement.

I do not find Thai men to be controlling or dominating in relationships with Thai women, either, not among my many Thai friends and associates, and thiswas true as much as 30 years back (yes, I've been in Thailand that long...).

As for seeing abusive behavior on the MRT, I've seen it in the NYC subways too, but it is hardly the norm, in either NYC or Bangkok. Especially not among educated professionals.

So to this day and 30 years back, relationships between foreigners and Thais have been relatively the same. My thoughts about a changing attitude are incorrect, they have stayed the same. BTW I agree with your above statement.

I appreciate your comments. My curiosity has been quenched.