Four family members die in predawn fire at Bangkok's Din Daeng district

webfact

Four family members die in predawn fire at Din Daeng

BANGKOK: -- Four people of the same family died and 10 others injured when a fire broke out at their two-story row food shop building on Soi Pracha Songkroh 2 in Din Daeng today.

The pork rice shop house which operated throughout the night closed business at 2 a.m. and the fire started at 4 a.m.

The fire was seen by passers-by started on the second-floor when the four member family of Mr Surasak Chatmongkol were sleeping inside, while the remaining are his relatives coming to his home to celebrate the Chinese New Year and staying at the ground-floor.

Fire engines rushed to the scene and put it under control half an hour later.

All people on the ground-floor were helped out by neighbors and passers-by.

They received slight injuries from burns and bruises.

But Surasak, his wife and two 3-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter were trapped inside the room and died from suffocation.

It was not immediately known the cause of the fire while forensic police were inspecting the fire scene this morning for clues.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-family-members-die-predawn-fire-din-daeng/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-30

Four dead, four injured in Din Daeng blaze
By Digital Content

13910544197584.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 30 -- Four people, including two children, died and four others were injured in a fire that raged through a two-story commercial building in Bangkok's Din Daeng early this morning.

The fire broke out at around 3am, damaging four rooms of the building in Prachasongkroh Soi 2. The building was a foodshop, selling boiled rice.

It took firefighters more than an hour to put out the fire.

Four persons were found dead in the fire including a seven-year old girl and a three-year old boy, while four others were injured.

Police investigators inspected the scene to determine the cause of the blaze. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-30

I can't find the article now, but I read here the other day that it is a "traditional practice" for Chinese property owners to burn property at this time of year.

Apparently to collect insurance money for New Year celebrations.

I hope this is not the case here, as deaths have occured.

My condolences to the family.

I urge everyone who reads this article to buy a Smoke Detector. They cost Bht620 at Homepro and could save a life in a situation like this. An 85 Decibel shrieking alarm can be a life-saver.

Many of you complain and are aware of the electrical short-comings in Thailand. And basic design flaws, too. A neighbour in my condo lost her apartment when it caught fire. It was a Sunday morning some time ago and I could smell that tell-tale aroma of burning plastic. Looked over the balcony and saw black smoke coming from her pad. Raised down, rang the doorbell, no answer. Hit the fire alarm and all hell broke loose. Managed to knock the front door down with neighbours to see her kitchen alight. Her apartment was nearly gutted. She was away at the time. Anyway, the cause? She'd just had a new fitted-kitchen installed and the new fridge was boxed in too tightly that it over-heated. There was no air circulation behind and to the sides of fridge.

Go and buy one now if you don't already have one. Such a waste of life when a few hundred baht could mean the difference between life and death.

You have made me realize that I have completely neglected to install detectors in my home.

I will be acquiring some as soon as possible.

Has anyone any suggestions on reliable brands?

I urge everyone who reads this article to buy a Smoke Detector. They cost Bht620 at Homepro and could save a life in a situation like this. An 85 Decibel shrieking alarm can be a life-saver.

Many of you complain and are aware of the electrical short-comings in Thailand. And basic design flaws, too. A neighbour in my condo lost her apartment when it caught fire. It was a Sunday morning some time ago and I could smell that tell-tale aroma of burning plastic. Looked over the balcony and saw black smoke coming from her pad. Raised down, rang the doorbell, no answer. Hit the fire alarm and all hell broke loose. Managed to knock the front door down with neighbours to see her kitchen alight. Her apartment was nearly gutted. She was away at the time. Anyway, the cause? She'd just had a new fitted-kitchen installed and the new fridge was boxed in too tightly that it over-heated. There was no air circulation behind and to the sides of fridge.

Go and buy one now if you don't already have one. Such a waste of life when a few hundred baht could mean the difference between life and death.

It's a great idea Amigo. Today I should. Just last week came it to my mind, then forgot. Today ...

• Like 1

You have made me realize that I have completely neglected to install detectors in my home.

This is the one I bought last week; In fact, got 6 of them. There're only two types on sale at HomePro Chidlom..both the same brand, The other is Bht700+ for the identical device but it has a light attachment which I think is a bit redundant if there's smoke. This one here is Bht620. I couldn't see them in Tesco nor Big C. 9v battery included and a snitch to install into the ceiling with two screws provided. But suggest you use raw-plugs if you have a gypsum board ceiling to keep them firmly in place.

post-30549-0-31984800-1391063120_thumb.j

Yes, I think it is rather odd that more are not fitted. I brought one back from the UK last year, my friend, who I rent the apartment from more less laughed at me for having it. Queuing at Big C the other day, they were selling a simple spray fire extinguisher for a discounted price, I grabbed that, too. You can't be too safe in my opinion. In fact in the UK you are expected to fit a smoke alarm to ensure insurance cover. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

This is the one I bought last week; In fact, got 6 of them. There're only two types on sale at HomePro Chidlom..both the same brand, The other is Bht700+ for the identical device but it has a light attachment which I think is a bit redundant if there's smoke. This one here is Bht620. I couldn't see them in Tesco nor Big C. 9v battery included and a snitch to install into the ceiling with two screws provided. But suggest you use raw-plugs if you have a gypsum board ceiling to keep them firmly in place.

I have found that the 3M Velcro good for attaching them to my concrete ceiling. It's stayed put for the last 2 years.

• Like 2

Great advice, Thanks. Been meaning to buy one for years and it will cut into my "companionship" budget, but being deceased makes for an inferior "companion" I would bet.The fridge story is scarey - I knew there was another reason why I keep mine on my balcony (besides wanting to keep its "normal" heat outside). My biggest fear is that one of my Li batteries will decide to ignite. I've already had a high-resistance, bakelite fuse holder/fuse contact in a power strip get hot enough to melt the strip's plastic case.

Brings to mind this:

There are three kinds of people: The kind that learn from other's mistakes, the kind that learn from their own mistakes and those that never learn.

I'm off to HomePro ....

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

To get back on topic, what a terrible and possibly unnecessary tragedy. I am very careful about where I choose to live as the dodgy wiring has been a cause of many fires, if that is what happened here, it shouldn't have. RIP to all 4 and condolences to the rest of the family at what should be a happy time.

I can't find the article now, but I read here the other day that it is a "traditional practice" for Chinese property owners to burn property at this time of year.

Apparently to collect insurance money for New Year celebrations.

I hope this is not the case here, as deaths have occured.

My condolences to the family.

That is a horrible thing to say that they need to collect insurance money. I am definitely sure the article never says that. And if it was meant to be a joke, you are a sick person.

What they burn are offering to the ancestors. Like paper money and things.

• Like 1

Too bad more homes do not have smoke detectors. They save lives. Having a lighted one is not redundant and is quite practical. It will light your way in a dark room when you need all the help you can get. Also a Carbon Dioxide Detector is even more useful. Mounted low to the floor it too saves lives. CO2 is what kills you in a fire. It's what comprises most of the smoke. Don't be cheap and buy the cheapest one either. They can fail when you need it the most.

Good post, but I think you intended "carbon monoxide" vs "carbon dioxide", in spite of the fact that the USA has declared CO2 to be a pollutant (they stopped short of declaring it poisonous even though it can be under certain circumstances).

I have found that the 3M Velcro good for attaching them to my concrete ceiling. It's stayed put for the last 2 years.

I picked up the last unit in the lower-price-range at HomePro Rachada for 550 baht (image1). It's identified only by the name "SMOKE ALARM" (in red and yellow) in a two-tone blue box.

An alternative to the Velcro approach to avoid drilling into a concrete ceiling, for example, is to use small, self-adhesive, cable-attaching pads with small cable ties (image2). This approach makes the attachment to the detector's base more secure (unless the Velcro is firmly attached to the base).

post-120659-0-49604200-1391314253_thumb.

post-120659-0-02631000-1391314293_thumb.