What Do Thais In General Think Of Foreigners Who Married A Woman Who Had A Child?

sirchai

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I'm trying is to find a way(s) that our son feels more confident dealing with brainless people and using his brain, instead of having fights with weird people who know all about nothing.

Fights usually never solve problems, made enough experiences in my own life.

Fights don't solve problems but in this case it's a huge benefit for your son that he won over a bigger opponent.

So now only the very big ones might open their mouths.

And for the motivation - yes it was right to defend you and his mother when the people talked bad. True or not doesn't matter.

For the future it might be wiser to win the fights with words as the own fist is not always the stronger one...

So, take him out for a beer and buy him a copy of Sun Tsu's "the art of war" to nourish both parts, the animal and the brain wink.png

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Our son is 6, with us since he was 2, so he doesn't know any better than that I'm his father. It's also a bit early for these kind of things.

But where you live in Mukdahan, he is a rare species with a farang dad, maybe the only one. We live in Rayong province and our son is on a bi-lingual school where there are many kids with farang dad's and mixed kids or even fully farang kids on the school. I don't expect to many problems here, but you never know.

But in his case, even if he would be with a Thai dad, being the best in class is not rewarded a lot, society here doesn't like people who stand out.

I think you do the best you can, keep in good touch with the kid and teach him some independent thinking, but it will not always be easy for him if he acts accordingly!

Thai society is complicated with the very rigid caste system, moving outside of your caste is not easily accepted, so also not everybody deals easy with original poor farm girls who become home owners and their offspring.

It's always good to have time to think about something and read/ hear opinions of other people. Our son is the best in English at his school.

His truly first "girl friend" ripped him of, as she was only abusing him to get a good grade in English. Then she'd quit the relationship.

His English teacher is always asking him, when she doesn't know a word, or how to pronounce it properly. II'd assume that this puts him in a special situation,plus being the head student of his school

As we're not rich, he doesn't have a brand new car/ motorbike/scooter/space shuttle, as kids of rich Thais usually show their "belongings."

They'd just won a skit, held in Mukdahan, competing against all Isaan schools. Five girls and he, as the main character had won the second place and will be at the final in Bangkok soon.

The chances are good to win the competition, which again would just increase his self esteem. Second place was already fantastic, of course did the Mukdahan school win the first place, as the competition was held there. ( Does that make sense to you? To me, it does, knowing the corrupt system)

Trouble shooting in this age can be very difficult, as teens that age don't have enough experience to deal with strange situations.

All in all, I'm proud to have such a good guy as my son and I hope he'll find his own way to deal with his life.Good weekend.-wai.gif

Your son is a good looking kid. And if he's got a good head on his shoulders as well, he looks to be a real winner.

Your situation reminds me of interracial children back in America. They've had to deal with the same sort of abuse. But honestly, I think this sort of makes them better adults. Being the victim of discrimination can give you a valuable perspective that most don't have. And having you there to render support is simply invaluable. Rock on.

Thanks a lot...yep, he's got a good functioning brain, is helping others like his dad does, all kids in the neighborhood love him and he seems to know quite much about life., compared to teens his age.

That makes me more than happy and we'll move on. Whatever will come. Thanks.-wai2.gif

Our son is 6, with us since he was 2, so he doesn't know any better than that I'm his father. It's also a bit early for these kind of things.

But where you live in Mukdahan, he is a rare species with a farang dad, maybe the only one. We live in Rayong province and our son is on a bi-lingual school where there are many kids with farang dad's and mixed kids or even fully farang kids on the school. I don't expect to many problems here, but you never know.

But in his case, even if he would be with a Thai dad, being the best in class is not rewarded a lot, society here doesn't like people who stand out.

I think you do the best you can, keep in good touch with the kid and teach him some independent thinking, but it will not always be easy for him if he acts accordingly!

Thai society is complicated with the very rigid caste system, moving outside of your caste is not easily accepted, so also not everybody deals easy with original poor farm girls who become home owners and their offspring.

Sorry, but we do not live in Mukdahan..thank Buddha for that. He had to go to Mukdahan for this skit competition. We actually live in Sisaket, where he also attends school.

It seems that he'd developed enough self esteem already and won't have a problem to deal with some stupid comments. And he loves me as I love him.

He tells me things his mom doesn't know, he doesn't smoke, nor drink alcohol. I love it, i might be a good example for him. Cheers-wai2.gif

It's always good to have time to think about something and read/ hear opinions of other people. Our son is the best in English at his school.

His truly first "girl friend" ripped him of, as she was only abusing him to get a good grade in English. Then she'd quit the relationship.

His English teacher is always asking him, when she doesn't know a word, or how to pronounce it properly. II'd assume that this puts him in a special situation,plus being the head student of his school

As we're not rich, he doesn't have a brand new car/ motorbike/scooter/space shuttle, as kids of rich Thais usually show their "belongings."

They'd just won a skit, held in Mukdahan, competing against all Isaan schools. Five girls and he, as the main character had won the second place and will be at the final in Bangkok soon.

The chances are good to win the competition, which again would just increase his self esteem. Second place was already fantastic, of course did the Mukdahan school win the first place, as the competition was held there. ( Does that make sense to you? To me, it does, knowing the corrupt system)

Trouble shooting in this age can be very difficult, as teens that age don't have enough experience to deal with strange situations.

All in all, I'm proud to have such a good guy as my son and I hope he'll find his own way to deal with his life.Good weekend.-wai.gif

Show him this post.

As already mentioned, we do talk about everything.-wai2.gif

My wife and I have a 16 year old 100% Thai daughter who was adopted by both of us when she was around 2 years old. My wife is also Thai but obviously I am not. Our daughter lived her early life to age 10 in Australia and the subject of racial discrimination never came up as there were quite a few Asian kids at her school. Thai/western parents also did not raise any issues as this was also not unusual. When we moved to Thailand she was enrolled in an international school with a mix of kids from all over the world including a lot of kids in the same situation i.e. 100% Thai but with a Farang father. Again this has never appeared to be a problem as she has friends that are Farang, half Thai, full Thai and Indian.

I think in your case it could be a matter of location and the peer group at the school. We all know that Thai kids have drummed into them at school that Thailand and Thais are "the best in the world" so to speak. Perhaps this has made the other kids at school see him as not "perfect". I have never lived in Issan and only visited a couple of times but I would think (and stand to be corrected if not true) that the kids at school there are less sophisticated and worldly than kids in Bangkok. As for the rich and poor equation, that exists at any school including my daughters and I really don't think there is any solution.

By the way I think that a 15 year old boy must be easier than a 16 year old daughter with raging hormones who hates the world, but we all deal with it.

• Like 1

I worked part time (for free) at a rural school in the north last year. I completed a BA in Thai language so I can understand 99% of what's being said around me here. It became apparent quite quickly that one kid was being picked on by most of the others, incidentally he was the most intelligent student. I found out in the end that he was half French, his Thai was perfect but because he was actually interested in learning English he was being singled out. The reality is that because of the lack of a decent education system Thai kids (especially in the north) are growing up with narrow minded viewpoints. You can't blame them, the education system is just completely outdated.

You live in Issan, you have been here for as long as you claim, yet you feel the need to ask this question?

Is this a wind up?

It's a bit like boarding a bus and asking random strangers a question about your personal life. At least on the bus you'd be able to question people who look reasonably rational, a screening process unavailable here

On TV asking a question about what Thais think about something is ridiculous on so many levels. 66 million people, no matter what region of the country they come from, do not think alike and gaining any insight into what might be true about a Thai perspective on things here at the hub-of-xenophobia is all the more counter-productive.

School children everywhere on the planet will seize upon any excuse to bully one another. There is no logic in it and it does not necessarily reflect what the general population thinks. If they think they can make someone feel embarrassed they will. It's what they do. In that regard, there's a similarity between adolescent school boys and Thai Visa posters. They'll bash, no matter how irrational their comments, just to bash. It helps them inflate their poor self-esteem at the expense of someone else.

Thank you, at least some one gets it.

It can be summed up in one word, jealousy.

For many in that part of the world, boredom jealousy and resentment kick in, summed up by lack of money.

They probably see this kid as being looked after by loving parents and resent it.

Many probably wish the poster had married one of their relatives.

If you are going to live here, learn the language, no need to ask a bunch of strangers what the locals think,talk to them.

Be aware you many not like what they have to tell you, welcome to medieval europe in some cases.

• Like 2

Great post and your son sounds like a great kid. I know exactly how you feel about him. You sound like a good father too.

My eldest daughter was 12 when I joined the family but she took great advantage of the help I could give, and using her own natural intelligence and hard work, did very well in school and college and now after qualifying and practising as a physiotherapist, has great job as an air hostess I am very proud of her. She is everything I could ask for in a daughter.

Her sister who is 4 years younger has proven more challenging. She is beautiful and naturally bright, but suffered all through school with a severe lack of motivation. Regardless she has a good heart and I love her equally.

This thread has given me cause to wonder if she too suffered from bullying at school because of my presence in the family which in turn caused her to be a less enthusiastic student.

However, I am pleased to say that over the past few months she seems to have turned her life around and I hope she too will do well in the future.

Once again, Great thread.

• Like 2

My wife and I have raised our boy since he was born. His mother and father used to work for us as home help/gardeners. Sadly his father died and his mother returned to her village to pursue her farming He returns to his mother for a couple of weeks during his school holidays.He is just coming up to thirteen and like your boy, is the best English speaker in the school and comes out top in English subjects. Over the years I have noticed that he seemed uncomfortable when I met him at school when the other kids were calling out falang! falang! He also seems to be reluctant to speak English when surrounded by Thais, but not with farangs. I have asked him in the past whether he gets bullied at school because he has a farang 'Grandfather'.Of course, he said he didn't. He is getting more confident now and seems to be growing out of it.Which is just as well as the club he belongs to always want him to be interpreter when Non Thai speaking visitors are involved. In the end, I suppose all kids get teased and sometimes bullied at school. I was because I had red hair and seventy years ago you fought back. No one knew what Political Correctness was then. Perhaps this treatment helps them to become stronger to face adult life?

• Like 1

Two factors are at work in your son's ( not unusual ) situation : jealousy on the part of his peers for being a top student, and standing out on account of having a farlang father. The main antidote to both happens to be the same: MODESTY, supplemented by a proactive attitude to help others, particularly in his class. Discuss with your son what modesty means and entails, including making him aware that much of his standing is due to an opportunity -- having an English-speaking father -- that others did not have, and illustrate it through concrete examples as to how he could go about it in his class and beyond. In the end, it will all have been a god-sent character-building experience.

• Like 1

You live in Issan, you have been here for as long as you claim, yet you feel the need to ask this question?

Is this a wind up?

Here we go again, a very enjoyable thread, and someone has to ask if it's a wind up

I shouldnt assume, but I assume you like me live here full time and can speak Thai.

If the answer is yes, you should be aware what the OP mentions is quite common.

If the answer is no, I can understand your ignorance.

Most areas have a bar of sorts where farang gather on a regular basis and these sort of subjects are openly discussed, I can however understand the OP coming to an internet form rather than discuss a subject he may feel uncomfortable with in front of other farang.

Heres another subject that is never heard of on here, but does exist.

The resentment shown to farang fathers who take the mother overseas but leave the child/children in Thailand to live with grandparents.

One friend was told to his face by the child, "you are not my father"

He told me, it knocked the stuffing out of him.

I have watched kids telling the child involved "go and ask your father for money"

The child speaks no English, the father speaks no Thai, child appears with about 5 kids in tow and asked the father, I told the ringleader to piss off and go and ask his father for money.

The farang had no clue as to what was taking place.

Another time, the ex father was still in the background, turned up one day half drunk and knocks on the door asking the child to get money from her piggy bank and give it to him and his lao kao drinking buddies, pure scum.

Yes these situations exist, thats why I am surprised the OP needs to come and ask about it.

Has anybody experienced something similar? I think it's very useful to know what some, or more Thais think/say/do when they find out that their stepfather is a foreigner?"

Sure I experience this constantly. I totally stopped caring about it a long time ago. My child is mine, however the same attitudes apply to me as well.

You have chosen to live this life and therefore you, your wife and stepson need to develop really thick skin and get practised at brushing this type of behaviour off without a second thought. Teach your stepson there are more appropriate and effective countermeasures than beating the pulp out of someone. I find shaking my head from side to side (gesturing no, no, no,) and a big sarcastic toothy grin works every time. Sometimes I think it is so hilarious I laugh out loud. I care that much what they think.

I think what you are describing is called bigotry and Thai people have no monopoly on that.