Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Today?

How about cars with 3 headlights. Two are fairly commonly know but there maybe more.

The Rovr 75 and Austin America both had a central driving light.

Tucker 48

Tatra 603

--------------------------

Tractors?

David Brown

Fergusson? or maybe that was just the transmission.

Porsche

FIAT

Volvo

Ford

Dodge (Chrysler)

How about Lamborghini and Ferrari ?

David Brown, Yep - owned Aston Martin for a while.

Ferguson did make a GP car but under a different company to Massey Ferguson.

The FF 4WD system was licensed to many car makers.

Porsche yep.

Fiat and Ford had big tractor divisions that ended up as part of CNH along with David brown and International.

Inter made pickups so I guess they count.

GM had a brief go with Sampson tractors, way before Terex and Euclid.

White Motor Corp, Oliver and White tractors + various truck brands and steam cars in the early days, plus a connections with Studebaker and Volvo in later years. White Farm Equipment ended up part of AGCO.

Chrysler yep

Leyland continued the Nuffield tractors from Morris.

Mercedes and their MB Trac models.

Mahindra have their own cars, trucks & tractors as well as Ssangyong

Foton cars, trucks and tractors

Any others ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My family's boat had a BMC 1800.

I think there was a marine version of the venerable Ford side valve 1100 (E93A)

Powerboats use Lamborgini.

Maybe the answer you are looking for is Volvo? As in Volvo Penta. The problem is I think Volvo Penta pre-dates the car company?

YO some good ones there.Lambo don't do marine engine, as such but will send their Tweakers to a race boat for a few Lira. BMC had a section called Nuffield that re conned their BMC Engines very popular in Fishing Boats. Ford did a Famous Diesel known as Old Smokie, gassed everyone for miles till it got hot {Still Do im told} a Sabre.There was OMC/ Enfield Outdrives,but did they male Trucks ,cant remember. Climax was used in Lotus but again.no Car.

There seems to be a trend here that if someone doesn't know the answer, they ask another question. But hey..

Mercury inboards use chevy V8 and other blocks too.

What about Chrysler? Don't they do marine?

Edited by VocalNeal

There seems to be a trend here that if someone doesn't know the answer, they ask another question. But hey..

Mercury inboards use chevy V8 and other blocks too.

What about Chrysler? Don't they do marine?

Yes, In fact the wonderful Hemi engine was used on war ships to winch stuff.

you can marinise any engine you want........ e.g. - Rolls-Royce Merlin and derivatives.....

True, if someone manufactures the hardware needed for a particular engine.

Doesn't take a lot - couple of sacrificial anodes and you're there......ask any longtail owner!

Edited by wilcopops

you can marinise any engine you want........ e.g. - Rolls-Royce Merlin and derivatives.....

If by marinise you mean slap on some cooling stuff and a water cooled manifold sure but power requirements and usage are very different. They run at higher loading all the time whereas cars engines run at very light load. So some 'car" engines get four bolt bearing caps instead of two etc. The camshaft(s) needs to be different as torque curves for boats are different etc.

Using truck engine as long tailed boat do ( except the two seat high speed jobbies) is a better bet. I like the small ones as they have some real lumpy cams, extractor exhausts, twin Webers and are usually highly polished. A bunch of us (8) travelled down a narrow klong once on a medium sized boat at 72 kph measured on a Garmin jogging GPS. The boat driver reckoned he still had more and it was only a 1600cc ex taxi engine! So he said?

If by marinise you mean slap on some cooling stuff and a water cooled manifold sure but power requirements and usage are very different. They run at higher loading all the time whereas cars engines run at very light load. So some 'car" engines get four bolt bearing caps instead of two etc. The camshaft(s) needs to be different as torque curves for boats are different etc.

Using truck engine as long tailed boat do ( except the two seat high speed jobbies) is a better bet. I like the small ones as they have some real lumpy cams, extractor exhausts, twin Webers and are usually highly polished. A bunch of us (8) travelled down a narrow klong once on a medium sized boat at 72 kph measured on a Garmin jogging GPS. The boat driver reckoned he still had more and it was only a 1600cc ex taxi engine! So he said?

May I add, Chevy engines used for marine use have an "M" cast into the block, if l remember correctly, behind the cam gears, and for military use a "W". These blocks are four bolt mains and a stronger casting.

Can just alter the cooling system, don't forget the gearbox.thumbsup.gif

Don't need one for a jet unit. whistling.gif

I was thinking about building a jet boat once but couldn't find locally an old GM 2.5 l which at the time was what a Mercruiser 150 was based on. Why GM because 150hp was the smallest jet made by Hamilton at the time, Berkley units where too big although the engine might have been easier to find.

Edited by VocalNeal

I was thinking about building a jet boat once but couldn't find locally an old GM 2.5 l which at the time was what a Mercruiser 150 was based on. Why GM because 150hp was the smallest jet made by Hamilton at the time, Berkley units where too big although the engine might have been easier to find.

Do you mean, their jet units required a minimum of 150bhp Neal?

Because CWF Hamilton sold jet units independently of power plants as well.

Many jet boats in NZ had MK II/III Zephyr/Zodiac or Holden motors which fall well short of 150bhp.

In fact a highlight I recall was the first 3.0 V6 Essex (144bhp?) motor in one just before my friend's Dad launched his with a 289 Ford, but this was well the first jets.

Berkley's were very much inferior at the time.

Do you mean, their jet units required a minimum of 150bhp Neal?

Because CWF Hamilton sold jet units independently of power plants as well.

Many jet boats in NZ had MK II/III Zephyr/Zodiac or Holden motors which fall well short of 150bhp.

In fact a highlight I recall was the first 3.0 V6 Essex (144bhp?) motor in one just before my friend's Dad launched his with a 289 Ford, but this was well the first jets.

Berkley's were very much inferior at the time.

Yes at the time the smallest one they had was for 150. That and I only wanted an 18ft-ish boat. We did put a bid in on a V8 fire breathing jet boat but fortunately we did not get the boat.

Ace all jets will run out of water if they break the surface. Maybe that is why surface propellers are used in hydroplane racing? But even they don't produce thrust if they are out of the water.!

Why do Over Square Engines respond better to Supercharging than Long-stroke Engines.?.

They rev higher than long-stroke engines, room for larger valves or more valves so they can breathe better, physically they're not as tall so there can actually be room for a s/c under the bonnet.

Edited by MMarlow

They rev higher than long-stroke engines, room for larger valves or more valves so they can breathe better, physically they're not as tall so there can actually be room for a s/c under the bonnet.

I agree that multiple valved engines are more efficient but one can still supercharge long stroke motors. But better?

Engines rev to whatever level they are designed or built for. I built an engine with a friend once it has a bore of 63.5 and a stroke of 92.5 and it revs toover 7000. Not much you may say but not bad for a long stroke engine.

I also had an engine with a bore of 70.6 and a stoke of 81.3 and it pulled to 7800. I am sure there are more examples.

VW 1.4 TSFI is 76.5 with a stroke of 75.6. OK technically just over square bit not much. It is supercharged but not high revving.

The thing is with forced induction if the engine won't flow enough air one simply ups the pressure. Then there is cam timing which may have more effect. Depend on what one wants.

Edited by VocalNeal