Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Try this one, Ford (UK) in their Granada range originally used the 2.5 or 3.0 V6 Essex engine to be replaced with the 2.8 Cologne lump. There were two major changes in internal design. What were they. whistling.gif

Give up ?

OK, I don't want sleepless nights on this one. The Essex engine had valve rocker arms that pivoted on studs, the Cologne had rocker shafts. The Essex had steel cam gears but the Cologne had man made teeth (perhaps nylon) on the cam gear. I worked on both and both ''upgrades'' were crap in my opinion.

Not telling you about the lights thingy.....biggrin.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, who remembers the Morris Marina/Ital w00t.gif ,

I cannot back this up with info but I know the fact. Another make of car used a few parts from this ''thing''.

What make was it ?

Elite door handles

Don't ask about Lotus using X1/9, SD1 or Toyota tail lights either! thumbsup.gif

I cannot back this up with info but I know the fact. Another make of car used a few parts from this ''thing''.

What make was it ?

Elite door handles

Could be, but not the one I know about. smile.png

What make was it ?

Elite door handles

Yep, Lotus Elite used Marina/Allegro door handles.

Exactly why UK manufacturing went down the pan.

What make was it ?

Elite door handles

Yep, Lotus Elite used Marina/Allegro door handles.

Exactly why UK manufacturing went down the pan.

You were nearly right regarding door furniture. Yep, used on Jaguars w00t.gif

OK guys,

I can generally identify all US autos mass produced since 1960, but can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get encyclopedic background info and pictures that will bring me up to speed on US produced autos of the '20's, '30's, '40's and '50's?

OK guys,

I can generally identify all US autos mass produced since 1960, but can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get encyclopedic background info and pictures that will bring me up to speed on US produced autos of the '20's, '30's, '40's and '50's?

This information needs to be sourced from many different places. I don't think you'll get accurate information from just one.

The good thing about your area of interest is that each of those decades in the US auto industry is very well documented, so a bit of searching on the web and you'll have your answers.

One to think about overnight. Sure you have all heard of Nitrous Oxide Injection and how it can perhaps double the horse power of a piston engine with the correct amount of added fuel.

When do you think it was first used.?

WWII aircraft?

One to think about overnight. Sure you have all heard of Nitrous Oxide Injection and how it can perhaps double the horse power of a piston engine with the correct amount of added fuel.

When do you think it was first used.?

WWII aircraft?

Certainly used on some Merlin engines. Don't know if this was the first. Pre-war there was a lot of interchange between aero and auto engineering. IOnly when the jet took over did the two seriously part company.

Oh Dear i got. my Klackers where my Knockers should be. Weege got it right, whilst TA is still scratching his Maracas..biggrin.png

Someone earlier suggested a Comer.

So if you mean knocker, I guess you're referring to the TS3

thumbsup.gif

The jerry's engine is upside down.

Correct........thumbsup.gif (inverted V)

Inverted airplane piston engines is no big deal.

Transam said "Forget fuel delivery" Why? That's a lot more important than the positioning of the engine.

The Merling had carburetors while the DB 600 - 605 had direct fuel injection, thus the Bf 109 could fly inverted without the engine stopping.

Someone said "Merlin had a supercharger". So did the DB engines though single stage ones instead of the Merlins two stage ones.

Another question. What's so special with the Junkers Jumo 205 when it comes to airplane engines?

Edited by jimmysjo

I couldn't remember the name Comer, for some reason i thought it was Allis Charmers, like the one in an old family tractor years ago. As for TAs sidelights, im even thicker, i drove a Vantage V8 for a year and never noticed , it did have 4 headlamps though.wub.png

There is a by-product of the Merlin Engine still readily available in most motoring shops in the UK (and elsewhere).....still made under licence from Rolls Royce. Anyone know what it is and why?

Not sure about ''by-product'', that seems like something the engine is making and sold on. smile.png

Glycol.