Auto Trivia

bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There has never been a Practical one.Milk Carts n Golf Trolleys are the nearest PRACTICAL things so far.

Wot E said...

Sinclair thing could hardly be described as a car or practical

It has to be the little tiny one which is exempt from London's congestion tax and probably national road tax.

I would have to Google to find the name but that would be well..whistling.gif not in the spirit of the topic.

Edited by VocalNeal

Racing karts also used split rims whistling.gif With an O-ring.

So did my Lambretta without O-ring.............smile.png

FYI With Karts the o-ring did not go between the halves, it sat in a groove created by joining the halves.

Racing karts also used split rims whistling.gif With an O-ring.

So did my Lambretta without O-ring.............smile.png

FYI With Karts the o-ring did not go between the halves, it sat in a groove created by joining the halves.

We just had inner tubes.........smile.png

There has never been a Practical one.Milk Carts n Golf Trolleys are the nearest PRACTICAL things so far.

Wot E said...

Sinclair thing could hardly be described as a car or practical

It has to be the little tiny one which is exempt from London's congestion tax and probably national road tax.

I would have to Google to find the name but that would be well..whistling.gif not in the spirit of the topic.

Sinclair was not the first "practical" electric car by any definition.

As it happens I've driven Sinclairs extensively, some fascinating design features, which have appeared subsequently on other unrelated vehicles....... but completely irrelevant to the question.

you might check out the first land speed record too....and some of the following ones....and the first vehicle to exceed 100kph.
Edited by wilcopops

Back in the 50's we had electric delivery vehicles, milk, bread etc. I can still remember when these delivery rides previously had a horse to pull it...whistling.gif

way before then! although I'd say they qualify as "practical" vehicles. Don't forget trolleybuses too.

SAAB and Volvo both toyed with the idea of electro-turbine hybrids in the 90s I think it was. I believe Jag amongst others have resurrected the idea again.

Edited by wilcopops

That sinclair thing, wasn't it early 80's ?

Yep - they were an interesting ride/drive.....but too low down for ordinary traffic......they were fitted with a "lollipop" on a stick to show that they were there. Basically a recumbent with a vacuum cleaner motor. The steering was unusual...........question WHY?

A seriously dodgy modified C5......

wpid-article-1333484118661-12726e81000005dc-53047_636x300.jpg

Edited by wilcopops

My Honda CB400/4 redlines at 12 or 14 k

out right RPM is only part of the calculation to determine piston speed though.

never suggested otherwise - talking about "revvy" Hondas.

(The piston speed at 10k rpm was 3281 fpm)

Edited by wilcopops

..and has a piston speed of 16.8m/s compared with S2000 25.2 m/s

CBR 250R red lines at 19,000 and has a piston speed of 21.4.m/s about the same as MY NSR at 12,000.

out right RPM is only part of the calculation to determine piston speed though.

An engine doesn't have to be a performance engine to have high piston speeds. A small bore and long stroke (Undersquare) are the main factors. As Spoony says, RPM is only part of the equation.

Can anybody tell me the motor with the fastest accelerating piston speed? You will probably be surprised I imagine.

Edit: Not racing motors

Edited by Woodsie888