Fiber optic wifi router

That's the TOT 100Mb fiber, it's 10,000 a month. I'm currently testing an 80/80/5Mb International leased line from UIH at 31,000 Baht/Month. smile.png

Ok, now I don't feel so bad for what I get and what I pay, seem reasonable to me.

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone tried their Internet TV through TOT?

I have a client that wants to connect to Australian TV stations,

and I'm searching for best options in Samui.

If the cable to where you live is Fiber Optic then you will either need a router which has a fiber connection or a media converter to take it from Fiber to Cable

You can't use a media converter. This is a GPON system and each modem is registered in their system. You have to request they set their modem to bridge mode if you want to do pppoe yourself. Alternative, just add your routers IP to the DMZ.

Always thought wireless would be slower than a direct line.

My thoughts are....just buy a second hand computer and hook that directly to the modem. You can control that computer remotely with many applications..

Also can set that direct lined computer as Internet Connection Shared. Acutallly Simple stuff. Router for what???

This is for mxer90 - and yes I know the IP is visible for everyone. :)

Recycler is correct, best ask CAT or TOT to put their modem in bridge mode and let your router do the pppoe connection. I prefer to use Mikrotik or Cisco routers.

Awesome speeds! Are you sure you're not in silicon valley!! Lol. And I assume that's speed within Thailand or a server within possibly a few kilometers. Interesting about lessing an international line as I believe the gateways out of los are the bottleneck. Cisco is the best, albeit more of a financial investment, but a good investment.

Where are you BTW (yes I can just do an whois on your IP, which i assume is static, but I'd rather ask). :)

Great speeds to Bangkok... Terrible speeds outside of Thailand. TOT uses a 50:1 contention ratio. Using a non-cached speedtest, even on the 100Mb TOT, I would only see between 1-2Mb to the USA. Terrible.

I'm currently test a line where I have paid for 5Mb of international bandwidth plus 1:1 contention ratio and it blows anything I have tried here. Tracerts are shorter, ping times slightly quicker and Youtube, etc, never buffers once.

I'm based on Samui.

This is for mxer90 - and yes I know the IP is visible for everyone. smile.png

Recycler is correct, best ask CAT or TOT to put their modem in bridge mode and let your router do the pppoe connection. I prefer to use Mikrotik or Cisco routers.

Where are you connecting from?

That's blazing speeds for Thailand.

I have TOT fiber,

and my connection peaks out at 20mbs download,

and only 4.5mbs upload.

This connection cost me 1,600bht month.

If I could get this in Pattaya I'd be happy. Where are you? I can't even get this in the UK, and I'm in a city on a main road! Absolute limit is 8meg with 5meg real world (with 1meg upload), although BT infinity is due some day :( And I can't move just for a faster internet connection LOL.

Great speeds to Bangkok... Terrible speeds outside of Thailand. TOT uses a 50:1 contention ratio. Using a non-cached speedtest, even on the 100Mb TOT, I would only see between 1-2Mb to the USA. Terrible.

I'm currently test a line where I have paid for 5Mb of international bandwidth plus 1:1 contention ratio and it blows anything I have tried here. Tracerts are shorter, ping times slightly quicker and Youtube, etc, never buffers once.

I'm based on Samui.

Good info, interesting, for me its not just speed but quality of the connection also, pings and latency out of LOS are pretty dire! and bad usually around the time I'm online, 8pm to around 11pm. Typical in know!

Is TOT known to be better than CAT or is it just luck of the draw based on location, etc?

Edited by mxer90

Phew! .... this is going on and on! facepalm.giftongue.png

I just use a 3bb modem, coming off a land line, (not fiber optic) for less than 1000 baht a month, which has a WiFi router and can use Skype, no problem, watch movies or you tubes, if I want... no buffering ...upload up to a few hundred images. pretty fast .... thumbsup.gif

Very rarely down time, (I think only time was when having problems in BKK a month or so ago).... well into second year of using 3bb, no complaints at all really... at any time of day or night .... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Phew! .... this is going on and on! facepalm.giftongue.png

I just use a 3bb modem, coming off a land line, (not fiber optic) for less than 1000 baht a month, which has a WiFi router and can use Skype, no problem, watch movies or you tubes, if I want... no buffering ...upload up to a few hundred images. pretty fast .... thumbsup.gif

Very rarely down time, (I think only time was when having problems in BKK a month or so ago).... well into second year of using 3bb, no complaints at all really... at any time of day or night .... thumbsup.gif

Yeah, totally agree, tried all the providers, even expensive business packages, still the cheapest 3BB is my favourite so far.

Hi,

I have a fibre connection from TOT. The wireless router they supplied was from a company called FORTH. The wireless connectivity was pretty awful; only 2.4 Ghz, no AC support even though it is a 'new' router and the range was not good. I disabled the wireless in the FORTH and plugged in my old Linksys E4200 router into it to provide wireless through that because it has wider range and also supports 5 Ghz. I couldn't use the Forth as a bridge because the Linksys doesn't allow me to specifiy VLAN settings in the PPPoE config so I had to set the Linksys as a Bridge. I set the Linksys on the same subnet as the Forth but outside it's DHCP client range so that I can easily access the config for both of them.

From my experience, the engineers they send out like to blame any problems on any kit they don't know. So when my connection was playing up they were blaming the Linksys instead of the supplied FORTH router which kept losing it's config! It took a week of me running with the Linksys unplugged for them to swap out the malfunctioning Forth router and check the actual line.

If you are looking for a new router, I'd recommended getting one that supports the newer AC protocol for future proofing, something like the Asus RT-AC68U AC1900

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082232/revealed-the-best-and-worst-802-11ac-wi-fi-routers-of-2013.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-networking-devices/

Tell TOT to take the FORTH and replace it with a ZTE bridge. FORTH is crap and the TOT technicians know it too, we had one at the office and replaced it and at home I have only the bridge from the beginning.

See picture.

post-61049-0-54365400-1391331160_thumb.j