Honda Scoopy Not Serious but Don't want this in any car/bike forum

laolover88

I am an old man. I have ridden bikes for 50 years. Harleys, Triumphs, Hondas, Suzukis..upto +++cc etc never had an

accident///US Europe/China

Wife has bought a Honda Scoopy. Have fallen off 5 times in 1 month!!! Something wrong with the weight distribution of

this thing? Have discovered that if you put the stabiliser down must get off on the right hand side of the bike, not theleft side where the stabiliser is.. I am not huge...80 kilos...when the bike falls over!! Not Stupid, Not Drunk!! Any

one else had this problem??

I don't know about Scoopy's but I have a Yamaha Fino that looks identical and the steering is just plain funky. Feels like my Chinese e-scooter steering, which is fine at 30 kph but not good at 60+ kph.

I'm not an experienced scooter guy so I can't verbalize what it feels like, but anything more than a tiny correction seems to over steer. (Not oversteer, over steer).

(and the Fino stays parked except for a jaunt around the block once in a while to keep it lubed up)

Edited by impulse

Been riding "bikes" for 30 years, but I also find scooters awful to ride.

Never feel safe on them.

They are transport for the masses though and must be applauded. The whole population in this area of the world get on OK with them, I think its just what we are used to - oh - and getting old is a major factor thumbsup.gif

Have a nice day.

I'm thinking of a Lambretta/Vespa here but...

Maybe it is dismount technique? You are trying to use the bike as support when dismounting.

Stop the bike, put the side stand down with the bike still upright, Stand up, let the bike lean to the left onto the stand and then step through the bike. Voila!

EDIT: Sister in law just arrived on a Scoopy. Put the side stand down, stand up with your feet as far apart as possible ( I think this is the key) , lean the bike onto the stand, transfer your weight to your left leg, lift right leg, bend knee and now standing on your left leg slide right leg though the bike.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Sounds easy.

Next time I get on my wife's Fino I'll try to remember my procedure.

Can't say I've fallen off it whilst parking it up though.

The most dangerous issue I have with these things is the auto clutch. Especially if one is left idling on the side stand and an infant grabs a handful of throttle - nasty.

Should have got a honda wave,i got one 15 years ago

still going stong.the father inlaw has got it now and all he does

is put petrol in it,i don't think he has changed the oil in 7 years.

you no that cost money....whistling.gif

Should have got a honda wave,i got one 15 years ago

still going stong.the father inlaw has got it now and all he does

is put petrol in it,i don't think he has changed the oil in 7 years.

you no that cost money....whistling.gif

Then you should be a good SIL and sneak out in the middle of the night and check the oil for him?

Sounds easy.

Next time I get on my wife's Fino I'll try to remember my procedure.

Can't say I've fallen off it whilst parking it up though.

The most dangerous issue I have with these things is the auto clutch. Especially if one is left idling on the side stand and an infant grabs a handful of throttle - nasty.

The new bikes all have a kill switch wired in to the side stand so when you put it down it shuts the motor off. If it does not I check into fixing it.

OP - are you tall (as compared to the average Thai person)?

I have a theory (may be a crackpot theory) that when us falangs ride the smaller scooters designed in Asia we sit further back than was intended in the design brief because we have long legs - and the weight distribution is too far back.

We have one at the plant, and the low speed steering seems odd to me, but I think it is because the headlight does not rotate with the handlebars.

Never seemed dangerous or unwieldy though, just odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Since the OP has never responded I can only assume this was a troll post. Riding bikes for 50years and keeps falling off a Scoopy? Probably one of the most popular bikes in Thailand and easiest to ride. It doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't think the OP is a troll, but I will spare the easy banter in this thread out of respect for his (supposed) age.

I hope I will know when to retire even without having ridden Triumph, and other 40 BHP bikes form the 60s.