Gentlemen, It appears we are Isaan's version of the IMF

GinBoy2

My friend (UK) lives around 70km from Korat and he is the only Farang in his village. There is small town a few km away which has 1 Farang (Dutch). I spent a couple of days in Korat city and there weren't many Farangs to be seen walking around. Only found a couple of bars that Farangs drank in. There could be more that I just didn't see or it may have been a quite day in town.

My gf took me to her village to meet her father for the first time in November. Admitedly it is a small village in the North and not Issan but I asked her how many Farang live in the area and she said "you are the first".

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Chiang Mai, and plenty of farang here, but 5 years ago my wife too me her small village in Samueng, where she is from. Her family owns about 90% of the village, and her older brother is village kaman, as her father was before him. I had the dubious honor of being the first ever farang to visit their village. My wife got treated like royalty, and I was stared at by the little kids, but it turned out to be a great time for all.

• Like 1

I think our earnings that we put in the local economies here in Isaan is very limited, compared to what the Isaan Chinese and Isaan people's put into this region. We have in our village 5 farangs and also I am the only one that is permanent here. They have of course build their houses which the families use when they are overseas and they might send some monthly funds back to Thailand on a monthly basis. It;s really the Isaan girls/woman's that work outside Isaan to support their family in the provinces that really are the supporters and breadwinners for the families.

In our village their are at least 20 young girls/boys working in normal manual jobs or in the bars of Thailand that send monthly money back to their families.

• Like 1

My parents I law live in Nong Khu, maybe 20 km south of Maha Sarakham on the way to Wapi Patum.

Maybe 50 families I this village but I am the only farang you will see there.

we have to find money to pay for my father in law.

He has been refused payment for his rice by Shinawatra dogs.

l am a aussie live sissaket and love it. stay here on and off. building home maybe 1 year.also brit guy doctor works aussie land he build near me too. just small village.

and we also have italian comes and goes and one german man keeps to himself.the local blokes sure like there whisky cant do a job without it.

My God, an Aussie, with your poor English I think you've been here too long.

• Like 1

am another Brit in fact, living between Udon and Khon Kaen. Superb area to live in, where the locals are friendly and sociable, also am the only felang in the village of about 80 homes. We all have great fun in trying to communicate with each other.

• Like 1

so go ask all the farang offspring, if old enough and nothing to do, to go protest in bangkok, for some basic rights for all those farangs that bring wealth to the (up)country

How do you think the Chinese weild so much power in Thailand, they beat us to the punch... the day of the luk Krueng is dawning.. Go forth and multiply+++++

Awwww, does this mean I gotta go get my pipes stitched back together? Can't I just 'practice' multiplying, hehe

Edited by GinBoy2

I often ask the Ferang that live in Nakon Nowhere , " If you drove through this village touring , would you have stopped and said " Yes this is where I want to settle down for my life " .... 99 % have all said No way .... the missus brought me here ..... interesting .... was that you ???? .....coffee1.gif

You could say the same about Rotherham, Watford, Dundee , etc , etc , coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Ahhhhh ...... Lost me there ???? ......... Are they your friends names?? ... , because they certainly aren't Isaan villages ............whistling.gif

They will be soon

As if by magic

I'm a ''gentleman'' I always put the seat down after using the toilet.

I am the sole farang in our village and it is indeed a pleasant situation. At the moment ''er what spends the money and shouts'' has got us down in Bangkok and our new house here (Bang Pli) not too many farangs hereabouts either

I'm hoping if I spend enough money, they'll erect a statue of me in the middle of town. Right next to Thaksin.

My thoughts are exactly the opposite. When I spend money, it's to get my erection pulled down.

Now a days I need to pay for the erection to be put up, and then even more to get it pulled down.. The amount of money I have spent on that bloody erection over the last twenty years could have built a whole issan village...... It probably did!!!

laugh.pngcheesy.gif

Nice one!

not nice ...cheesy.gif ....excelent!burp.gif

I think it's that not all the falang actually live in issan, but that they build houses so their wife's can have face. When we drive around the village, my wife points out all the big rotting houses that were built by falangs, but nobody lives in all them. Many have taken their wives back to their country to live. It's actually quite easy to spot the falang houses once you get the hang of it.

I often ask the Ferang that live in Nakon Nowhere , " If you drove through this village touring , would you have stopped and said " Yes this is where I want to settle down for my life " .... 99 % have all said No way .... the missus brought me here ..... interesting .... was that you ???? .....coffee1.gif

You could say the same about Rotherham, Watford, Dundee , etc , etc , coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

or any godforsaken remote village in "Schwitzerland" whistling.gif

l am a aussie live sissaket and love it. stay here on and off. building home maybe 1 year.also brit guy doctor works aussie land he build near me too. just small village.

and we also have italian comes and goes and one german man keeps to himself.the local blokes sure like there whisky cant do a job without it.

Bloody hell Dave,back to school for you,that is a terrible interpretation of the English language.

• Like 1

Just think, you might have connected with a woman from the south of Thailand. Then what would you do? Isan women know how to suck the blood out of you a lot better. Wonder who will cut the grass from those jungle houses when the farang dies.

If you are fool enough to give it,more fool you.

The Luk Krung is an important part of this society. They control the TV Shows. We are living in a political system that has been outgrown by the younger generation and they want a change. The past 10 years without change to benefit the overall public is enough. It will take awhile longer but the young intelligent will start to control Thailand and make it a better place to live.

After 30 years in Thailand I have had 2 true loves and they both have been from Udorn Thani and she is currently my lovely wife who takes care of me like royalty. I hope to see the day when Bangkok will treat Isan people like they treat themselves and trying sharing the wealth.

Luk krung are in piss poor programs,they certainly don't control them.They are a blip in Thailand,never mind society.As far as the young are concerned,they put their head on the chopping block back in 91,and nothing has changed.I am an optimist,and the youth will bring change eventually,it certainly can't go on the way it is now.

Married my Isaan wife in her village in 1968. After raising our kids in the States, the wf and I retired back here. We live outside a very old rice farming village and find life here very good and peaceful. I believe it is true that most Thais see farangs as walking ATMs. Several of her family members often hit me for whiskey money, school fees, funerals or unlimited tam boon, Being family, they have no concept of returning any money but always like to let me know how good my next life will be.

Why do they want theirs in this life with your money then? : )

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by DILLIGAD

Married my Isaan wife in her village in 1968. After raising our kids in the States, the wf and I retired back here. We live outside a very old rice farming village and find life here very good and peaceful. I believe it is true that most Thais see farangs as walking ATMs. Several of her family members often hit me for whiskey money, school fees, funerals or unlimited tam boon, Being family, they have no concept of returning any money but always like to let me know how good my next life will be.

if your silly enough to give it to them, what can I say. I would say the best is to direct them to your wife as she controls the money and you will see the difference

• Like 1

if your silly enough to give it to them, what can I say. I would say the best is to direct them to your wife as she controls the money and you will see the difference
As my wife is the youngest of 7, she now has an outlook like a westerner. When we last went to see MIL, most brothers and sisters also came to visit. 4 of them hit her up for a 'loan' and she told them never again as she's been giving them money for 10 years now and never repaid. They all work, gamble and drink a lot. Needless to say that the day they were refused money they left without even saying goodbye to mother. So proud of her. A week later, MIL asked for a large amount of baht, wifey asked what for? She replied, your brother wants to buy another taxi, now mother lost face as she told her what she told them. Even prouder.

Stand your ground or it will never stop.

Edited by Ozybear

As my wife is the youngest of 7, she now has an outlook like a westerner. When we last went to see MIL, most brothers and sisters also came to visit. 4 of them hit her up for a 'loan' and she told them never again as she's been giving them money for 10 years now and never repaid. They all work, gamble and drink a lot. Needless to say that the day they were refused money they left without even saying goodbye to mother. So proud of her. A week later, MIL asked for a large amount of baht, wifey asked what for? She replied, your brother wants to buy another taxi, now mother lost face as she told her what she told them. Even prouder.

Stand your ground or it will never stop.

But they milked her dry of your money for 10 years. You should say stand your ground from day 1

• Like 1

Can agree to some extend!! In almost EVERY villiage up here in Isaan there are at least 2-3 nice looking houses built by falangs

married to a Isaan-girls of course. I didn´t believe it when I heard it, but have seen it and it is true. There is a huge lot of falangs here

and the countries involved is mostly Holland Sweden, Belgium,Norway and Denmark

But Schwitzerland and Austria is not common at all, and the guys from UK never make it up to here, They can mostly be found

down in Pattaya in a white T-shirt, shorts black socks with flip flops and not that sober at all.....

Glegolo

How true. Not that many "Swissies" in Isaan. They seem to prefer Thailand over the Isaan. For some reason!biggrin.png

Cheers.