Thai retailer apology for controversial Chinese New Year ad

webfact

Thai retailer apology for controversial Chinese New Year ad

BANGKOK, February 1, 2014 (AFP) - A Thai retail giant on Friday apologised for a billboard advertisement showing a white woman pulling at the side of one eye, saying it had not realised the gesture could be "offensive" to Chinese people.

Central Pattana, which owns a string of large malls and department stores in Bangkok and other major cities, said it had removed the Chinese New Year advert as soon as it became aware of concerns over the image.

A picture of the billboard, which had a headline "Good to be Chinese", circulated on the social networking site Twitter on Friday, in the latest instance of apparently inadvertent cultural insensitivity in a Thai advert.

"We are extremely sorry for the lack of judgement in this issue as we did not realise that the gesture of the model in the advertisement would be offensive to the Chinese communities," said assistant vice president Sakorn Thavisin in a statement.

The image generated mixed reactions online, with mainly foreign commentators expressing disapproval.

"This ad is sure to create negative publicity for Central. Lots of people who shop in Central are foreigners. Not a good idea!" said @BKKEarlsy on Twitter.

Central Pattana is Thailand's largest retail developer, according to its website, and manages 23 shopping centres, 7 office buildings, two hotels and two residential projects.

Thai firms have stumbled into controversy over racism in the past.

In October a Thai subsidiary of consumer goods giant Unilever apologised for a competition to promote its skin whitening product to students after the company was criticised for appearing to link education with whiter skin -- which is already widely associated with higher economic status in Thailand.

British and Dutch based Unilever, which has more than 400 brands sold in over 190 countries, said it did not intend "racial discrimination".

In September, US firm Dunkin' Donuts said it was pulling an advertisement in Thailand featuring a woman with black face make-up after a human rights group described it as racist.

The "charcoal donut" ad caused little controversy in Thailand, however, while on social media sites there were differing views about whether the ad was offensive.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-01

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPN apologizes, pulls 'controversial' Chinese New Year ad
By Coconuts Bangkok

chinesead.jpg?itok=R8fd24wr

BANGKOK: -- Time to screen-capture that questionable Chinese New Year ad from Central Pattana and archive it in your library of poorly considered marketing campaigns.

The giant mall management company this evening apologized for an advertisement some deemed racially insensitive and said it would be removed from circulation.

"We would like to make our heartfelt apology on this issue," said CPN spokesman Sakorn Thavisin in a statement. "We are extremely sorry for the lack of judgment in this issue as we did not realize that the gesture of the model in the advertisement would be offensive to the Chinese communities." [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/01/31/cpn-apologizes-pulls-chinese-new-year-ad

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-01

• Like 1

Which advertising agency came up with this?

Did no one think it might possibly be the tiniest bit racist? Not even one tiny smidge.

Do you mean that it is "racist" in that it implies asian eye shape to be superior or what? I think it is a rather clever advert.
Each to his own.

I don't think it's that offensive. The whole slanty eye thing is really original. Lol

That a farang model might want to look Chinese, could be aspirational I guess. Huh?

Why have a western model for Chinese me year God knows.

I have little doubt that any mainland Chinese shoppers would see the funny side?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Thais are oblivious to international racial, discriminatory and/or religious sensitivities. The article mentions but a few Thai transgressions. Conspicuous by its absence are the numerous and pervasive incidents of Nazi and swastika cult and costuming in Thailand, the Hitler store, the children dressed as Nazis..etc.

However do, say, publish anything deemed insulting or offensive to Thais and standby for the backlash.

yes indeed. Thais are extremely hypocritical.

• Like 2

There'd have been no problem if they'd used a swastika or a black Sambo. Depends on who you might offend as to the level of offence and how long it takes to think perhaps it should be removed or changed. And apology for the swastika or Sambo is unlikely.

• Like 1

It's that Thai bubble again. With the exception of north Korea Thailand appears to be the most introverted country I have ever know.

The lack of understanding of other cultures and the effect that their actions have on other nations is pretty shocking, almost unbelievable. This ad, the Hitler artwork and various Nazi paraphernalia are good examples of this.

When a big Thai company using a big advertising agency cannot see something as obvious as this being offensive then ordinary people will likely be feel the same.

Thailand has a long way to go before it can stand tall in the International community.

• Like 2

I wish some of the horses I back were as fast as some people are to take offence. I don't see it as racist, but as humourous. Real racism is ugly.

Marc Marquez (Factory Honda MotoGP pilot) used the following artwork for his helmet and promos at this years Japanese Grand Prix. Japanese didn't seem to regard it as racist...

post-30101-0-78118200-1391219649_thumb.j

• Like 1

Why are white people so ignorant of other cultures. Don't they (we!) know Thais and Chinese aren't burdened by a racism fixation?

What! A total load of nonsense.

In the UK we have had an influx of immigration for the last century. The very culture of my country has changed and been influenced by the introduction of other cultures. I grew up in a school mixing with children from other countries and although things are not perfect there is a general acceptance of other people and cultures.

In a business sense the West have been traveling to the East for a very long time. Indeed it could be argued that the majority of wealth over the past 20 years or so has been created by the West importing goods from the East. I have spent the last 10 years or more of my life importing from Asia and now I live and work here.

So, there is no lack of understanding from what I can see from "white people". There is however a lack of understanding in Thailand of other cultures and if the country truly does want to be part of an international community then it will need to look outside of itself more.

Lastly, what does "burdened with racist fixation mean"? Are you saying that racism is ok? Do you think that the West have down the wrong thing in trying to tackle racism over the past 50 years or more?

Did you think about what you were posting?

• Like 2