Commerce Minister: Chinese company might tear up rice purchase contract made with Thailand

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What contract, the one on the back of that napkin ? pffft if theres one place more corrupt than here its China.

Maybe so, but on face value at least China is trying to stop the corruption and shooting people who are caught out, of course if they did this in Thailand you would have just about every MP facing the firing squad

Just curious what is the source of this news. It's not given in the OP and I can't find anything similar in a google news search.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As stated in the OP it's from the NNT= government propaganda.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNECO5701310010011

Thanks . The link isn't showing in the iPad app.

Only four companies took part in bidding to buy rice under the scheme on Tuesday, Nov 19. 2013 The companies are Royal Richy Rice, Capital Serial, Asia Golden Rice and Charoen Pokphand... Charoen Pokphand (coincidentally or not) . a private company Part of the C.P Group and coincidentally ( or not) one of the Independent Directors of which Is Abhiset's father...[follow the money] this is part of a much bigger power play to discredit whomever they want whenever they want... this is all intended to make Yluck look even worse... she had nothing to do with this part of it these are the real string pullers here in ASIA... this has only to do with discrediting her...nothing more...this is not face brokered this is all back room brokered and Marks pop and the rest of the Independent and not independent Directors of Charoen Pokphand .. . which incidentally is a private company ..not Thai government... besides India and Vietnam give them better deals. Thai Rice is too pricy...but that is not what this is about... it is smear tactic pure and simple... wai2.gif

How do you smear the stench of corruption? The Commerce Minister is involved in this scam way over his and his wife's possible positive contribution to the Shin family, political problems. He will be left to sink along with the other cannon fodder on the front lines The PM as head of the rice program is responsible for her decisions, lies and cover up, and those of her minions.

CP has had, does have, will have, a virtual monoply on many business avenues here in Thailand, before, during and after the Shin family members are puffs of smoke in the heavens..I doubt that they are wasting their time to discredit or smear what appears to be doing a quite good job of self destruction.

• Like 1

Is this the fake government-to-government contract? The one that's with a Chinese company no doubt carefully selected by the government offiice in Dubai? The one that the government was caught out lieing about? I'll bet the Chinese company wants to tear up the contract a.s.a.p. now that it is being investigated.

Piece in the Nation yesterday said that a Chinese state owned enterprise was considering the purchase of one million tons of rice but that it may back out because of the investigation. Now some here are reading this as the Chinese being involved in some sort of corruption in the deal and not wanting a light shone on it. Not impossible. But there's a perhaps simpler explanation: most countries / companies would naturally not want to enter a contract when there is some doubt as to whether the other side will be able to meet it's part of the deal. The body doing the investigation could, for example, put the brakes on sales of rice after the Chinese company had paid some amount... So there's real risk involved for them. This sort of uncertainty is always bad. One doesn't need to invoke/assume corruption on the part of the Chinese (or even the Thais) for this to be a problem. It's all about uncertainty and the risk associated with it. The other problem the thai government is having is that it has to be careful not to sell too much rice at one time or it risks suppressing market prices. So it cannot rely on quick sales alone to pay farmers... Instead, rice needs to be released in a more regular flow and farmers need to be paid from other reserves until the money comes in from sales. It's a risky and delicate balancing act, and near impossible to manage when there's such political instability. And of course it's the poor farmers that feel the pain.

Why? Something illegitimate about this contract that cannot see the light of day?

From what I remember, China was trading undefined services for the railroad system in exchange for rice. Since the USD 2.2 trillion project is delayed, it is possible that the contract is delayed and could void the contract. At least this is what I remember from what the Caretaker government was wiling to publicly disclose.

I really wonder why the Red leaders / Shin Clan put out news like that do they really think everyone is as dumb as their followers and cant see through the lies.

Its been awfully quiet here from the normal suspects, seems even they seem to realize you cant defend this.

Only four companies took part in bidding to buy rice under the scheme on Tuesday, Nov 19. 2013 The companies are Royal Richy Rice, Capital Serial, Asia Golden Rice and Charoen Pokphand... Charoen Pokphand (coincidentally or not) . a private company Part of the C.P Group and coincidentally ( or not) one of the Independent Directors of which Is Abhiset's father...[follow the money] this is part of a much bigger power play to discredit whomever they want whenever they want... this is all intended to make Yluck look even worse... she had nothing to do with this part of it these are the real string pullers here in ASIA... this has only to do with discrediting her...nothing more...this is not face brokered this is all back room brokered and Marks pop and the rest of the Independent and not independent Directors of Charoen Pokphand .. . which incidentally is a private company ..not Thai government... besides India and Vietnam give them better deals. Thai Rice is too pricy...but that is not what this is about... it is smear tactic pure and simple... wai2.gif

How do you smear the stench of corruption? The Commerce Minister is involved in this scam way over his and his wife's possible positive contribution to the Shin family, political problems. He will be left to sink along with the other cannon fodder on the front lines The PM as head of the rice program is responsible for her decisions, lies and cover up, and those of her minions.

CP has had, does have, will have, a virtual monoply on many business avenues here in Thailand, before, during and after the Shin family members are puffs of smoke in the heavens..I doubt that they are wasting their time to discredit or smear what appears to be doing a quite good job of self destruction.

Puffs of smoke in the heavens, I like that thumbsup.gif

I really wonder why the Red leaders / Shin Clan put out news like that do they really think everyone is as dumb as their followers and cant see through the lies.

Its been awfully quiet here from the normal suspects, seems even they seem to realize you cant defend this.

Yes Rob, I think they are so arrogant and conceited that they expect everyone to believe everything they say. They expect to command and everyone obey with no questions. Look how angry they get when questioned or can't get their own way - threats, law suits, intimidation, attempts to suppress media and social networks comments.

Their idea of democracy is do as we say, believe whatever we say when we say, ask no questions.

They are indefensible without lies.

Earlier, the NACC filed corruption charges against former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, former deputy commerce minister Poom Sarapol and 14 other commerce officials and businessmen for involvement in the nonexistent Chinese rice deal.

Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisal has told the press that the Thai government’s Chinese trade partner is concerned about its rice trade with Thailand and might call off the rice deal

OMG, national disaster, China willing to cancel non existent rice deal. Stop the presses, this is real news.

Why? Something illegitimate about this contract that cannot see the light of day?

Thailand sends rice north, and China makes deposit to bank account in Dubai. bah.gif

Or someone buys cheap rice from the government, then someone sells expensive rice to the government, and money moves out but the rice never leaves the warehouse...

Why won't the government won't say how much rice it has...

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 2

Is this the same 'deal' that the EC was asked to fund (yes, PTP wanted a loan to sell the rice - unbelievable) and when they looked at it, said in effect 'come back with some proof that it actually exists'?

Or is it one of those 'deals' where the Chinese are really a Thai company with links to Arisman & co?

The Commerce Minister along with old Kittirat have told so many lies (40 shades of white lies) that Big T must be proud of them.

• Like 1

Piece in the Nation yesterday said that a Chinese state owned enterprise was considering the purchase of one million tons of rice but that it may back out because of the investigation. Now some here are reading this as the Chinese being involved in some sort of corruption in the deal and not wanting a light shone on it. Not impossible. But there's a perhaps simpler explanation: most countries / companies would naturally not want to enter a contract when there is some doubt as to whether the other side will be able to meet it's part of the deal. The body doing the investigation could, for example, put the brakes on sales of rice after the Chinese company had paid some amount... So there's real risk involved for them. This sort of uncertainty is always bad. One doesn't need to invoke/assume corruption on the part of the Chinese (or even the Thais) for this to be a problem. It's all about uncertainty and the risk associated with it. The other problem the thai government is having is that it has to be careful not to sell too much rice at one time or it risks suppressing market prices. So it cannot rely on quick sales alone to pay farmers... Instead, rice needs to be released in a more regular flow and farmers need to be paid from other reserves until the money comes in from sales. It's a risky and delicate balancing act, and near impossible to manage when there's such political instability. And of course it's the poor farmers that feel the pain.

interesting post docno..but with one fatal flaw releasing the rice ...they cant give it away...no-one wants it ..they have destroyed the thai market in 2.5 years .pure greed mate nothing else wai2.gif

• Like 1

From what I remember, China was trading undefined services for the railroad system in exchange for rice. Since the USD 2.2 trillion project is delayed, it is possible that the contract is delayed and could void the contract. At least this is what I remember from what the Caretaker government was wiling to publicly disclose.

But this would mean no money would ever be paid out by the buyer as it is just a contract for services in exchange for rice...

So report A is worth 1m tonnes of rice and so on?

But this would mean no money would ever be paid out by the buyer as it is just a contract for services in exchange for rice...

So report A is worth 1m tonnes of rice and so on?

I'm afraid Old Man River's memory is not what it maybe was.

The B2.2tn - not US$ - loan was supposed to be for infrastructure upgrades and development, part of which is for the HSR projects. The Thai government has said it is negotiating with China (more propaganda than fact) to barter rice for HSR. China has never agreed publicly.

There has been more lies about supposed G-to-G deals than has actually taken place. The one in the Op is probably more fictitious than real.

Pei Ta Hwang company, Thailands Government-to-Government trade partner

Thailand's G2G partner is a private company?

Not uncommon. The BMA has a private company that handles contracts for them too. Of course they own that company.

And this is one of the many ways the govt. can commit their crimes. That is why this entire policy is riddle with corruption.

Thailand sends rice north, and China makes deposit to bank account in Dubai. bah.gif

Or someone buys cheap rice from the government, then someone sells expensive rice to the government, and money moves out but the rice never leaves the warehouse...

Because it really doesn't have a clue, how much rice is actually in the rice-mountain, but is still convinced that it's better not to know, because it's definitely a lot less than is supposed to be sitting there ? whistling.gif

Whatever, I suspect that when the charges land on the caretaker-PM's desk, someone will be found to swear, that all along she hasn't been the chair-person of the committee at all ? wink.png

Politicians scatter, faster than cockroaches in your kitchen, when the blame suddenly arrives ! laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

Because it really doesn't have a clue, how much rice is actually in the rice-mountain, but is still convinced that it's better not to know, because it's definitely a lot less than is supposed to be sitting there ? whistling.gif

Whatever, I suspect that when the charges land on the caretaker-PM's desk, someone will be found to swear, that all along she hasn't been the chair-person of the committee at all ? wink.png

Politicians scatter, faster than cockroaches in your kitchen, when the blame suddenly arrives ! laugh.png

Poor Jingluck those pesky laws against corruption. She does not like them one bit. She is raised to be corrupt she is a Shinawatra after all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app