Bar Work In Thailand

bobbywig

Oooh yes I forgot you need to be 20 to drink.

I hoping to work as a holiday represnative this summer, if not I'll become a bar boy, will I have what it take??

Perfect example of a giggle-inducing question.

I have no idea what being a "holiday representative" would entail, maybe a tour guide?

And "bar boy" in Thailand would usually mean a young man providing sexual services, usually to gay tourists.

Do you mean "bus boy"? or bartender?

And how the heck would we have any idea if you "will I have what it takes"? Sounds pretty provocative in combination with the above connotation, almost like you're trolling for giggles.

All it takes IMO is the willingness to do hard physical labor for around B300 per day, if you get into a high-end place supplemented by tips. 12+ hour days, very few days off, maybe 2-3 per month.

Make sure you have all your Thai citizenship papers straightened out and at least six months' worth of expenses in the bank before giving it a go.

A Holiday Rep is kind of like a guide - looking after tourists, taking them out, doing the welcome meetings, picking them up from the airport ect ect

i meant Bartenders. is there alot of people who are 18 or under being "bar boys"?

and i was actually joking about that, im not planning on being a bar boy. Just interesting! :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess you mean people on tours, like they all travel together on a bus or something?

I haven't seen much of that among farang here, I think you'd need to be fluent Chinese/Hindi/Russian for that to work, and probably doesn't pay well either.

As far as male prostitutes go, there are plenty at 18-20 in tourist-oriented places, but younger than that would usually be for Thais only since foreign embassies have put pressure on the Thai government about that issue.

In theory they're supposed to be over 20 or a foreigner could get in trouble, but at least in Pattaya 18's the cutoff AFAIK.

So I guess you mean people on tours, like they all travel together on a bus or something?

I haven't seen much of that among farang here, I think you'd need to be fluent Chinese/Hindi/Russian for that to work, and probably doesn't pay well either.

As far as male prostitutes go, there are plenty at 18-20 in tourist-oriented places, but younger than that would usually be for Thais only since foreign embassies have put pressure on the Thai government about that issue.

In theory they're supposed to be over 20 or a foreigner could get in trouble, but at least in Pattaya 18's the cutoff AFAIK.

No they have them.

i will be based out at a resort and look after the tourists, make sure there holiday goes well, sell them boat trips ect.

There's a few travel companies that DO it over in Thailand at places such as Phuket ect, and i will only be working with BRITISH tourists or people who have booked the holiday from the UK.