Farmers network to rally in capital for rice money

Lite Beer

Democrat MP Warong Dechgitvigrom,

I think the typical sloppy journalist should have said former MP ,not even YL is elected yet?

There are no MPs only a caretaker government.

I cannot imagine he can have been elected as his party has not fielded candidates and if he fails to vote will be disenfranchised in an odd symmetry with those his fellow democrats have stopped .

So the rice farmers who havenet been paid by this corrupt criminal Government want to protest but their pro red shirt leader tells them - dont do it now do it after the election so the Government dont look bad!! K Chalerm treats have got to them and they know the paymaster in Dubai wont pay out to people who challenge him!! Thats Shinawatra democracy - Thats Shinawatra TRUTH TODAY!!

Maybe they're waiting until after the election to hopefully avoid the violence.

Funny thing is that the dems will be the first to tell the farmers"Screw you, goto hell"

Maybe not. These protests started when the amnesty bill upset the red shirts because it included Abhisit and Suthep and created a split in the government and it's supporters They may be sensing something similar now. More farmers might not vote or cast a no vote now there's no chance of the Dems getting in.

The Dems need to show they have the interests of the farmers in mind which could be difficult. They can't just offer to carry on the rice scheme as even the PTP tried to cut it back. I think they need to explain the financial reality to the farmers but come up with a sustainable rice policy that the farmers can rely on and with a plan for the future they can work to.

• Like 1

'My wife has seen the writing on the wall, all our valuables have been wrapped in plastic and put into air tight tins and buried in the back garden,next to where the dog sleeps. It won't be long she assures me before there are mass burglaries (and the farang house will be first) by desperate people.'

wow must have been a big hole, tough job wrapping up the car, also not sure about burying your tv, might corrode.

You are being facetious. Gold doesn't corrode (wow!)

I thought all you village people lived in safe communities. Time to move to an honest neighborhood?

Funny thing is that the dems will be the first to tell the farmers"Screw you, goto hell"

Maybe not. These protests started when the amnesty bill upset the red shirts because it included Abhisit and Suthep and created a split in the government and it's supporters They may be sensing something similar now. More farmers might not vote or cast a no vote now there's no chance of the Dems getting in.

The Dems need to show they have the interests of the farmers in mind which could be difficult. They can't just offer to carry on the rice scheme as even the PTP tried to cut it back. I think they need to explain the financial reality to the farmers but come up with a sustainable rice policy that the farmers can rely on and with a plan for the future they can work to.

I like your post, i really do, unfortunately i think all politicians feel its morally wrong for a farmer to have a decent standard of living.

Edited by soalbundy

I've used a few of the rice farmers up in Wang Saphubg for labour just so they have something in their pockets.

My lawn of pak boong has been consumed in the process

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

most of us have a lawn of grass, try it next time. A lawn of vegetables is OK maybe but grass seems to be the norm almost everywhere these days.

All very sad, but so predictable ! I am not a redshirt, and they do have a legitimate gripe, but they have chosen (been sucked into) the worst possible vehicle to further their cause.

You are right of course,its just that the vehicle that they need doesn't exist in Thailand, PTP was the nearest they could get, looks flashy but the engine is lousy and it was bought on hire purchase.

'My wife has seen the writing on the wall, all our valuables have been wrapped in plastic and put into air tight tins and buried in the back garden,next to where the dog sleeps. It won't be long she assures me before there are mass burglaries (and the farang house will be first) by desperate people.'

wow must have been a big hole, tough job wrapping up the car, also not sure about burying your tv, might corrode.

I thought all you village people lived in safe communities. Time to move to an honest neighborhood?

Nothing easier than to turn an honest man into a thief than through hunger. You can also bludgeon a man to death easier with a debt contract than with an axe. I feel i live with good people in a nice community, but its easier to be ethical with a full stomach. I have had the good fortune never to have known hunger nor to see my children go hungry. Were you or i in that position what would we do....i don't know.

• Like 1

I like your post, i really do, unfortunately i think all politicians feel its morally wrong for a farmer to have a decent standard of living.

There's nothing wrong with a farmer having a decent standard of living if he earns it from his business. What many people feel is morally wrong is farming being treated differently to any other business. This is what happens when farmers are offered other people's money (in return for their vote) to continue in inefficient and uneconomic production.

I think the politicians of Thailand ( probably everywhere ) have taken a leaf out of Groucho Marx's book :........

"The true secret of life is honesty and fair trading

if you can fake that you've got it made"

Edited by soalbundy
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong with a farmer having a decent standard of living if he earns it from his business. What many people feel is morally wrong is farming being treated differently to any other business. This is what happens when farmers are offered other people's money (in return for their vote) to continue in inefficient and uneconomic production.

Farming is not like any other business, not in Thailand and not anywhere. The farmers don't and can't now control the market. They are the first producers,after that everybody else makes money, the millers,the tanners,the weavers, the butchers and so on, they are the secondary producers, then come the clothing industry,the bulk grain marketers, the supermarket chains etc. the secondary and end buyers control the prices,its been that way for hundreds of years and has been established all over the world. They are too powerful to go around because they own the worlds markets.

If a sheep farmer in England wont accept the low price for his wool from the cloth industry then they will buy from France or Australia or where ever. The farmer has no choice,there is no one else to sell to, its that well organised.

Its the same with wheat,rice,barley you name it. Think Unilever.

The conglomerates are so powerful that they have all but ruined the clothing market in Europe and America,the clothes are made in cheap product countries in Asia, as are carpets or do you think Axeminster carpets are still made in England

There are niche products,special cheeses in France, Parmisan hams in Italy, special hides that can be sold to the car industry where the farmer still has s o m e control over the price. Generally the farmer has to accept prices that don't in anyway reflect the amount of work he has to put in to his n a t u r a l product he can't up the speed of his production lines. He has some control over the yields of his product through fertilizers for example but again the outrageous prices demanded are controlled by the same industry.

Without subsidies the farmers would give up and we would have no food and no clothes. The conglomerates know this but still wont pay they have the power to pressure governments to pay subsidies rather than pay a fair price themselves.

When all's said and done it was the same in the ex coal mines and the ex steel industry,the same for British Leyland (now gone thank God )

Farming is not like any other business, not in Thailand and not anywhere. The farmers don't and can't now control the market. They are the first producers,after that everybody else makes money, the millers,the tanners,the weavers, the butchers and so on, they are the secondary producers, then come the clothing industry,the bulk grain marketers, the supermarket chains etc. the secondary and end buyers control the prices,its been that way for hundreds of years and has been established all over the world. They are too powerful to go around because they own the worlds markets.

If a sheep farmer in England wont accept the low price for his wool from the cloth industry then they will buy from France or Australia or where ever. The farmer has no choice,there is no one else to sell to, its that well organised.

The conglomerates are so powerful that they have all but ruined the clothing market in Europe and America,the clothes are made in cheap product countries in Asia, as are carpets or do you think Axeminster carpets are still made in England

There are niche products,special cheeses in France, Parmisan hams in Italy, special hides that can be sold to the car industry where the farmer still has s o m e control over the price. Generally the farmer has to accept prices that don't in anyway reflect the amount of work he has to put in to his n a t u r a l product he can't up the speed of his production lines. He has some control over the yields of his product through fertilizers for example but again the outrageous prices demanded are controlled by the same industry.

Without subsidies the farmers would give up and we would have no food and no clothes. The conglomerates know this but still wont pay they have the power to pressure governments to pay subsidies rather than pay a fair price themselves.

When all's said and done it was the same in the ex coal mines and the ex steel industry,the same for British Leyland (now gone thank God )

It's rare to hear such self-serving BS. Anybody who completed Economics 101, knew the basic concepts of supply, demand and inelastic markets, would recognise it as such.

Do you know why dead farmers are buried only a metre down? So they can still put their hand out.

Nothing easier than to turn an honest man into a thief than through hunger. You can also bludgeon a man to death easier with a debt contract than with an axe. I feel i live with good people in a nice community, but its easier to be ethical with a full stomach. I have had the good fortune never to have known hunger nor to see my children go hungry. Were you or i in that position what would we do....i don't know.

I bought some Thai gold that went rusty , anybody know why ???

It's rare to hear such self-serving BS. Anybody who completed Economics 101, knew the basic concepts of supply, demand and inelastic markets, would recognise it as such.

Do you know why dead farmers are buried only a metre down? So they can still put their hand out.

Indeed, i got nothing against farmers but this is just basic supply and demand. Why would consumers have to pay more ?

I shall bow to your superior wisdom. Tell me, why is it that normally farmers are poor but the middle men ie. merchants are rich ? I am not self serving, i don't rely on farming for my income i have three pensions which are more than adequate to live in Europe let alone Thailand. Let us say its a hobby.

I had a girl friend in Germany whose father had one of the biggest farms in Bavaria, i lived in their house for 4 years and had intensive discussions with him ( yes i do speak fluent German ) concerning supply and demand. In the end he was being paid by the government NOT to farm a large sector of his land, how perverse is that?.

I wonder who could have been worried about there being to much corn on the market,don't want to ruin the price structure now do we.

just give them back the rice, or they might get back something laying around for 5+ years with enough mold, pesticide, droppings that they might just all go have a big diariah.....................

it is only costing money to store all that unsold, overpriced, rotting rice anyway

I am not sure you are aware, the new. Crop of rice has already been sold. And that is why they can't return it. You will see how this group defrauded the public and farmers.

I shall bow to your superior wisdom. Tell me, why is it that normally farmers are poor but the middle men ie. merchants are rich ? I am not self serving, i don't rely on farming for my income i have three pensions which are more than adequate to live in Europe let alone Thailand. Let us say its a hobby.

I had a girl friend in Germany whose father had one of the biggest farms in Bavaria, i lived in their house for 4 years and had intensive discussions with him ( yes i do speak fluent German ) concerning supply and demand. In the end he was being paid by the government NOT to farm a large sector of his land, how perverse is that?.

I wonder who could have been worried about there being to much corn on the market,don't want to ruin the price structure now do we.

Then let them fight with the middle man.. why should the consumer or tax payer have to pay more. Cut out the middle men. What you are suggesting is taxpayers or consumers to pay for a farmer to have a good life. I suggest that they get more innovative and cut out the middle man if they say the money is there.

Congratulations on speaking German, i bow before you... oh i speak it too as a third language not even counting my Thai. Don't understand why that had to be mentioned.

If i dont like the job i have or dont make enough i change.. im not going to beg and huff and puff.

When there are less farmers prices will go up. Economics.

Edited by robblok

ROBBLOK, I had to mention that (German) otherwise JRSOUL would have asked how i could have understood the man and i do try to be as exact as i can be. I don't think (which means i don't know) if there can be such a thing as supply and demand if the market has been cornered by multi-national conglomerates. At any rate the German farmer told me he had no control over the price he would get,it was take it or leave it.

Its easy to say,"then i will do something else" The farm has been in his family for 5 generations and he was leaving it to his son, He as well as his son have only ever known farming.

bezueglich die drei Sprachen, i can only offer 3 languages including Thai but i can read it and write it as well, extra points ??

ROBBLOK, I had to mention that (German) otherwise JRSOUL would have asked how i could have understood the man and i do try to be as exact as i can be. I don't think (which means i don't know) if there can be such a thing as supply and demand if the market has been cornered by multi-national conglomerates. At any rate the German farmer told me he had no control over the price he would get,it was take it or leave it.

Its easy to say,"then i will do something else" The farm has been in his family for 5 generations and he was leaving it to his son, He as well as his son have only ever known farming.

bezueglich die drei Sprachen, i can only offer 3 languages including Thai but i can read it and write it as well, extra points ??

More as me. did not include Thai as i Only speak it.

Anyway of course its sad if a farm goes away but why should others pay for it. If my dad was working in the wooden shoes industry and there was no demand... would I need to become one and ask the tax payers to pay for me ? No of course not why are farmers different.

Thing is there are such things as farmers collectives and such they help farmers get better prices and that is being pro active. I really don't see the point to raise prices for other poor people to pay off the farmers. Raising taxes to help farmers.. i am against it. I am against helping people do stuff that is not economical. If you start helping out one.. where does it end.. rice... palm oil... corn.. ect ect.

This is not the way. Less farms means less production means higher prices. Its a natural mechanism. You see it in all things if there are too many technicians in a country their wages don't raise or go down hard to get a job.. people re educate then.. Why the special place for farmers ?

When those hungry farmers will come asking for their money the government should adapt the defensive technic used by some posters here and say: but don't you know that abhisit is on the murder charges and suthep had a land plot scandal? Well now that you know why are you complaining?

Should work like a charm, shouldn't it?

Anyway of course its sad if a farm goes away but why should others pay for it. If my dad was working in the wooden shoes industry and there was no demand... would I need to become one and ask the tax payers to pay for me ? No of course not why are farmers different.

Thing is there are such things as farmers collectives and such they help farmers get better prices and that is being pro active. I really don't see the point to raise prices for other poor people to pay off the farmers. Raising taxes to help farmers.. i am against it. I am against helping people do stuff that is not economical. If you start helping out one.. where does it end.. rice... palm oil... corn.. ect ect.

This is not the way. Less farms means less production means higher prices. Its a natural mechanism. You see it in all things if there are too many technicians in a country their wages don't raise or go down hard to get a job.. people re educate then.. Why the special place for farmers ?

Good morning robblok, lets agree to disagree,this could go on for ever but it makes a change from red shirts,yellow shirts etc.

I'm no communist and if the playing field was level i would say you are right. There must be a good reason for all these subsidies because every government does it.......food security maybe.

When all is said and done if the money doesn't go to the farmers then it will go on a few submarines that nobody needs,if subsidies stop the one thing you can be sure of is that your tax bill (if you are still working) wont go down,there are lots of useless projects that need money and lots of back pockets that need to be filled. On that happy note i shall now drive my son to school. Keep well.

Good morning robblok, lets agree to disagree,this could go on for ever but it makes a change from red shirts,yellow shirts etc.

I'm no communist and if the playing field was level i would say you are right. There must be a good reason for all these subsidies because every government does it.......food security maybe.

When all is said and done if the money doesn't go to the farmers then it will go on a few submarines that nobody needs,if subsidies stop the one thing you can be sure of is that your tax bill (if you are still working) wont go down,there are lots of useless projects that need money and lots of back pockets that need to be filled. On that happy note i shall now drive my son to school. Keep well.

Yes its a welcome change from red / yellow shirt discussions (and i feel these farmers should get their money, if the government has to break the law to do so so be it.. then they get kicked out by their own stupidity).

Yes food security that is the reason it is done but the only reason. As for the fact that there are other stupid things that money get spend on that is like saying don't go after YL as there are other corrupt persons too. I don't think its a valid excuse. Its like a someone speeding saying go after those who run red lights while they both should be caught.

But we can agree to disagree. I am certainly not against farmers, more against subsidies (in the EU too) Though food-security is a good reason. Anyway in my opinion if they wanted to help poor farmers they just should have given money directly to the farmers with only a few rai of land. Keep the big ones out of it they got money to change and the advantage of scale.