Advice for young single guy moving to Phuket

Simmo1823

Wow finding this gym on Samui has really put a spanner in the works

The gyms probably better for my bjj in Phuket and you can surf in Kata. But the gyms also suppose I be really good in Samui for M.T. and you get all the great stuff that goes along with the island - backpackers - full moon parties - chilled lifestyle. Hmmmmm I am stuck. Will have to maybe spend 2 weeks in each and see which one I like best. Or maybe I could split my time between the two one month at a time. Probably harder to make friends that way though.

OP, if your gonna be training bjj twice a day I guess your going to top team, either way where ever it is in Chalong your gonna train, you'll have to be driving over the traffic circle every time if you stay anywhere other than nearby, which will be ok on a bike, and a pain in the ass in a car due to the traffic chaos. Rawai, kata and Nai Harn all have a nightclub and bars scattered all over the place, none of which matches the madness of Patong but it is still possible to pick up forigners in alot of these places, much more chance in patong though and easier again if your staying in some backpackery type place on Samui. Also you should get resigned to the fact that you will be drink driving if u do go out, same as almost everyone here does. surfing is only in low season here and you'll miss any good waves as you'll be training early morn and afternoons. Samui gets some waves in high season but few and far between. lastly u can forget about bar work here, the only place I know that has forigners serving behind the bar is seduction in Patong. U better come up with a new plan for nights!

Man, your budget is over than enough for Phuket.
My idea, you have to try.

Used to I live there 1.5 years and I can say it was not bad.

But don't live in Patong (my advice only). Much better to live in Rawai, Chalong, Kamala, Phuket-town. Many people prefer the North area but it's a bit far for everything (except airport).

Prices: you can rent a modern condo apartment or house (South) around 25 K / month, and it's really nice. The house is not safe at all cause very high the breaking-in risk, the condo is much safer. To rent a car a month around 13 - 16 K (Vios, Jazz) to rent motorbike (recommended) around 4 - 6 K a month. To use car in Phuket is a high annoying case, I couldn't enjoy, bought motorbike, much better. The traffic is terrible during the high season.

In Phuket everything is more expensive than Bangkok, but these prices are affordable for western people. Supermarkets are all the same all the TH.

In Phuket there is an extremely high Russian population, and to accept them a very big challenge cause they are idiots as they can. (on roads, in beaches, in restaurants, in bars, in shopping malls, in boat excursions, in diver boats, whatever they are the most annoying people.)

If you have any further .... send private message.

I have seen above your worry about your body-size and moped contact. You are not right, I'm 183 cm and bought first Yamaya Nouvo Elegance (59 K) later I sold cause it was to noisy for me and bought a Honda PCX (76 K). You can ride on them 100 km/h and they are enough big for your size. Off course you can rent them first, it's high recommended before buying.

The car driving will make you crazy, but off course you have to try first also then decide. When I received visitors (family, friends from EU) I had to rent car and this was really terrible. For example you arrive some-where (beach, market, shopping area, bar, etc) and the biggest problem to find a normal parking place (need safely cause if some-one crashes the rented car you have to pay over the damage). The easy way is the motorbike, You can drive safely, but it's beyond despite you have to listen with 10 eyes.

Chalongian, thanks for the straight up info. Much appreciated dude.

I'm gutted about the bar work, I was hoping for something to keep me busy that was social where I couldn't drink too much. I hate sitting round.

If you go to bars you have to seat in other side with those lovely and fresh girls, not stand inside. Anyway to work in bar it's impossible for yourself. You will see if you are there.

Wow finding this gym on Samui has really put a spanner in the works

The gyms probably better for my bjj in Phuket and you can surf in Kata. But the gyms also suppose I be really good in Samui for M.T. and you get all the great stuff that goes along with the island - backpackers - full moon parties - chilled lifestyle. Hmmmmm I am stuck. Will have to maybe spend 2 weeks in each and see which one I like best. Or maybe I could split my time between the two one month at a time. Probably harder to make friends that way though.

With your money friends wont be a problem.

Haha, sounds like not my kind of friends Jocko

Plus I'm on a budget to save. A few big parties a month will probably clear me out and I'm only having money in my budget available to me the rest will be in accounts I can't touch as I know what I'm like so when it's gone it's gone.

The OP has been asking questions and replying all day from 06:40 am until now. When I was his age I had better things to do with my weekends.

Like me, the OP works off shore.. I'm sure he will have better things to do with his weekends when he gets here....!!!

Ye the nearest bar does the trick.

Thats how i ended up here after working off shore in China

If you want a combination of fitness, reasonable accommodation, availability of Western womensmile.png and decent food and facilites, I'd recommend the soi (that means 'street' if you're not sure) where Tiger Muy Thai is. Has everything for an expat, including accommodation, car and bike hire, accommodation, and some decent restaurants. I live near there and drive down it once or twice a day, and it's a real 'eye opener'. I'm posting these links which I believe include options for accommodatoin etc, but there's loads of places down this road (as an example, one of the restaurants 'Tony's' advertises rooms at 5000 baht/month, which is really getting to the lowest benchmark, but I know are quite good rooms and facilities also):

http://www.tigermuaythai.com

http://www.unit-27.com

In regards to the title of the thread: Read as many "newbie to thailand/phuket" threads as you can stomach. Then take everything everyone says with a grain of salt. Large demographic of posters here with different needs/wants/age/resources. Spend the first month trying out different locations and find whats best for you.

Cheers guys.

Pagallim, I really appreciate the info and links. Tiger is my first choice of gym and the place I want to be kinda near as they have a top notch 4th dan black belt Ju Jitsu instructor from Brazil. This is my passion right now, it could be in Alaska and I'd enjoy training there but god heavens it's in a beautiful cheap place . The fellas before who said try other islands have threw a big spanner in the works and in now 50/50 on Phuket vs. Koh Samui so im definitely gonna spend a few weeks in both areas and try them out.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

+Big lolz at Phil. Get off your keyboard and go outside fella.

Read the book "Private dancer" by Stephen Leather. You won't be able to put it down. Should be compulsory reading for all newbies in Thailand. Good luck with your venture mate.

Joe.

I put it down! Just the once - read it two sessions laugh.png . I thought it was about me ohmy.png .

• Like 1

Got halfway and gave up.

Not that I've never made a mistake in love but the protagonist is a pussy of the highest order and annoys the hell out of me. Skim reading it to the end now for the insights into how Thai's think, comments on the culture and how to deal with certain situations. Good book for sure for learning about the culture. I'll be smiling when I arrive non stop haha

Got halfway and gave up.

Not that I've never made a mistake in love but the protagonist is a pussy of the highest order and annoys the hell out of me. Skim reading it to the end now for the insights into how Thai's think, comments on the culture and how to deal with certain situations. Good book for sure for learning about the culture. I'll be smiling when I arrive non stop haha

After 14 years I am still trying to learn.

How Thai's think, Good luck with that one , this forum has got years of reading about it , you have time on your side.

Hi Guys

Maybe not the questions your expecting from a young single guy moving to Phuket this summer.

I work in the oil industry for half the year and will be spending 5 months in Phuket.

My reason for moving is so I can save most my income to fund a business. So my budget will be around 100,000 Bht a month. What kind of lifestyle can I lead with this? I've read something about prices but it would be nice to hear anyone who lives on similar.

I'm single but not really into go go bars. Is Patong the only place where you can find western holiday maker girls? Reading through these forums Karon and Kata sound quiet. Or is that just in comparison? I don't have total control but will be trying to spend as much as the quiet season away at work.

I actually spent some time in Karon with a gf 5 years ago but it was during the rainy season and was pretty dead to be fair. We had a night in Patong which was pretty mad as far as I remember. But like I said was with my gf of the time so wasn't really looking for what would interest me now.

I'll be training martial arts twice a day 6 days a week at a gym in Chalong but do not want to live there as it seems boring. From this gym I google maps says Patong is 30 mins away and Kata 20 mins. Not too bad if I hire a bike I guess to live somewhere fun.

Also I'll be looking for some bar work on the night times, don't really care about being payed, maybe a few free beers. I just enjoy it for the craic, meeting people and working in hospitality as my future business is included in this industry. Anybody know anybody wanting a good cheap barman in a busy bar let me know. :)

Plus this with the training at the gym will stop me partying most nights of the week. Don't get me wrong I can party with the best of the oil n gas guys and miners but it gets boring after a while.

Another thing I was thinking is I'll take an apartment on my own if i have to but I'd much rather share a place with some other young people if I could. I guess the fact I'll be renting on a one month basis at a time makes this extremely difficult but maybe there's people advertising in newspapers for spare rooms for rent? Any ideas on that would be great.

Please note I'm aware I could live in the North, Pattaya or a hundred other places that are cheaper that will allow me to save more but I like to have a life too and the beach life, martial arts and some partying is why I have chosen Phuket so any suggestions to move to Chiang Mai will be respectfully laughed at. I like shops, bars, beaches, sports and restaurants.

Also I love sailing, hiking, rock climbing, playing football, bit of golf and snorkelling. And of course eating out and partying. Any young guys/girls out there wanna meet up when I arrive give me a shout.

Thanks very much for any advice, I've gotten a lot of good info from this

forum already so cheers

Dan

Sorry not sure what happened with my last post!

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. 23, working offshore and looking to stay in Thailand 6 months a year to train in Muay Thai. I am still also not 100% decided on where I want to live.

Reading your location criteria I might know a place that would suit you.

I have stayed/trained there before.

KYN gym on Koh Yao Noi. It's a small island in between Phuket and Krabi. The gym is brilliant and prices are very good. The island itself is very quiet but there is a pool in the gym, lovely beaches and good restaurants.

Also there is quite a few westerners passing through the island on holiday.

I used to stay there Monday to Friday and then get the water taxi (1hour) and then a taxi (40 mins) into Patong on the weekends.

Might be worth a look. The head trainer is called Hlukin. Look him up he used to be a top class fighter.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by CJK1
  • Like 1