Election Over, Result Out By '23 February'

Lite Beer

Election Over, Result Out By '23 February'

By Khaosod English.

13913292071391329385l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The 2 February election is over, but the Thais have to wait until at least 23 February to learn the outcome of the poll.

The delay is caused by cancellation of numerous polling stations in some of Bangkok′s districts and 10 southern provinces, where anti-election protesters blocked the election offices and other polling venues.

Future voting days will be held in areas where the public could not cast their votes today, Election Commission (EC) officials said.

In the meantime, no preliminary result of 2 February election will be announced, said Mr. Banchong Sukdee, deputy Permanent Secretary of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

"The result will have to wait until the election is fully completed," Mr. Banchong explained, "Otherwise it would mislead the public".

According to Mr. Banchong, individual polling stations can count their votes and announce the result in front of the venue for the public to observe, but officials are not allowed to transfer these results to the Election Commission.

Furthermore, each district will not send its results to the central vote counting centre established by the EC, Mr. Banchong said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UTXlPVEl3Tnc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-02

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 February election is over, but the Thais have to wait until at least 23 February to learn the outcome of the poll.

RT2p_pichayada: The counting of ballot cards has started in Udon Thani. Although the stronghold of govt, many people have voted for no party.

RT@tulsathit: A glimpse of Bkk results: A count in Chatuchak shows 67 votes for PT and 48 abstentions. via @chavarong

It must be 23 February already .

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Any reports on whether they had "Shin special" polling booths positioned so that observers can note the choice of all voters? Or were they the old style of secret ballots? I enjoyed the photo of Potjaman that showed how she voted in the last election, no point in vote buying if you can't guarantee the great unwashed masses make the "right" choice.

• Like 2

Wait till the 23rd of this month? But I would expect that even after those 'advance voting' re-sessions we'd still need voting in all districts were it wasn't or couldn't be held today?

BTW will anyone coming with preliminary results be handling unconstitutionally and be brought to court?

• Like 1

90 million voting cards were printed - but only 60 million can actually vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Actually only about 48 million or so are (in principle) eligeble.

Edited by rubl

How is possible to have a final result by 23 February when 28 constituencies have not even registered any candidates yet and it is not clear how this can be accomplished? Register the candidates, have new elections in all the constituencies where voting was full or partially cancelled and re-run the advance voting in time for a result on 23 Feb. There is no mention of the 22 constituencies with only one candidate who has to poll more than 20% of the vote and ore than the no votes. Even more importantly, since the constitution requires elections to take place nationwide at the same time the chance of the result being annulled is very high. Sounds like a joke. This could go on for many months.

Yes, but there are separate ballot sheets for constituency and party list elections which doubles the total number of ballots.

Smart of them. Don't want to run out.

Voter turn out where I come from competes with the Septic Tank!

(all you Brits must applaud my knowledge of Your English)

Thaksin wins, Pheu Thai acts, Yingluck can finally travel to Hawaii,; Corruption continues, rice scheme, mega projects etc will go on and on and on, business as usual, amsnesty bill will soon be alive again,

Story book ending for REDEMOCRACY, see you again next year and the following and the following generations of the future republic of S( C)HINAWATRA

Tell me anywhere in the story line it refers to anything you have stated. You seem to be stuttering in bad English as to your extreme excitement to be the first poster on this topic. Slow down, learn to type and ad comments directly related to the OP.

The story is about election results being announced on the 23rd of February for the reasons listed in the article.

relax your in at number 7...passifier.gif

• Like 1

I don't see how any of these votes can count, the constitution says that Thais have to all vote on the same day. I don't support blocking people from voting, but now that it's been done, does anyone expect the CC to allow these results to stand?

How is possible to have a final result by 23 February when 28 constituencies have not even registered any candidates yet and it is not clear how this can be accomplished? Register the candidates, have new elections in all the constituencies where voting was full or partially cancelled and re-run the advance voting in time for a result on 23 Feb. There is no mention of the 22 constituencies with only one candidate who has to poll more than 20% of the vote and ore than the no votes. Even more importantly, since the constitution requires elections to take place nationwide at the same time the chance of the result being annulled is very high. Sounds like a joke. This could go on for many months.

Sounds like a joke...but likely a scam on the rise.......3 weeks and no-one will have a clue what's going on....except PTP!...I hope not!

• Like 1

The picture posted with this Khaosod piece shows how completely successful this all was. Thanks, Khaosod !

Now that we are officially outside of campaign mode, it should be apparent at this point how right Yingluck was - the country is indeed now seized with a supreme happiness and content. Thanks, Yingluck !

But on the other side of the looking glass, the Constitution Court - on the basis of Article 108 alone - will declare the election void.

In the meantime, there is still plenty of time for Pheu Thai to fan conspiracy theories, assign blame as to why the farmers won't be receiving their payments, and generally dodge all pertinent questions like - how does Pheu Thai constitutionally proceed ?

And Thaksin - he will undoubtedly take a long hard look at what his amnesty brain-child created, reflect on the now teetering footing that Pheu Thai has - and decide to proceed on exactly the same course.

And February 23 ? The Yingluck administration and CAPO will be faced with exactly the same challenges they had before, and try to answer the timely question - how do you register candidates in the South without parachuting Pheu Thai candidates onto the rooftops of buildings ?

Edited by Scamper

Sounds like you are talking up your desired outcome.

• Like 2

RT@teamkorn Apparently YL's vote is now invalid, she put her ballot in the wrong box (orange party list ballot goes in other box) pic.twitter.com/T5o3GLUt0I

BfdXLiuCUAE2bKd.jpg

We all knew the PM isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

By the look on the other faces I think someone has passed wind and sent the occasion into we must get out-a-here quick............sad.png

• Like 2

How is it democratic when polling station results are being announced publicly and being posted on twitter. Those stations yet to open, and those post/advance polls can be influenced by these results. Am I missing something?? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm interested in the results, Phil, can you tell me who on Twitter is publishing results?

Wait till the 23rd of this month? But I would expect that even after those 'advance voting' re-sessions we'd still need voting in all districts were it wasn't or couldn't be held today?

BTW will anyone coming with preliminary results be handling unconstitutionally and be brought to court?

I'm thinking the same...why the 23rd and so long in this day and age?...are they counting by hand?...how antiquated...and more of an opportunity to scramble the votes