Pheu Thai may misunderstand EC rules: EC

webfact

Pheu Thai may misunderstand EC rules: EC

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai Party may misunderstand that the Election Commission (EC) would hold a new election for voters in 69 constituencies of 18 provinces who could not vote on February, EC Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyarkorn said Monday.

He referred to an electoral law which stipulates that the EC could postpone an election for seven days in a constituency that is interrupted by chaos or depends on situation.

Somchai said the EC is not necessary to hold a new election that quick if it is not sure that the election would settle a political crisis.

"It means seven days after the problem ends, not seven days after a set national election. Therefore the EC would not have to reschedule the new round of voting in 69 constituencies if the political conflict seems to ease," Somchai said.

The five Election Commissioners' meeting today will decide to deal with three problems on the voting in 69 constituencies that could not be operated, the 28 constituencies that had no candidates and that 16 constituencies had single candidate, according to Somchai.

"In case of advance voting, the legal team of the EC confirmed that the cartaker government needs a new decree to set a new date. It could not do by the EC declaration," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-03

• Like 2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question : does the EC know what it stands for ?

And does the EC know what the rules are or do they make them up as they need some new ones in case they really don't know themselves ?

I for myself would not refer to them as " wise men "

rolleyes.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

It has continuously stated all thru this article about holding a/an election. But this next time would not be a election. It would be continuing and completing an old election. So none if this should be applicable to this situation. Also, thai election laws said that an election must be held and completed on the SAME DAY.

So who is misinterpreting or changing these laws ti suit their needs?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Question : does the EC know what it stands for ?

And does the EC know what the rules are or do they make them up as they need some new ones in case they really don't know themselves ?

I for myself would not refer to them as " wise men "

rolleyes.gifwai.gif

It is a learned behavior from watching how the PTP government operate

PTP will only abide by rules / regulations / constitution when it suits them

It has continuously stated all thru this article about holding a/an election. But this next time would not be a election. It would be continuing and completing an old election. So none if this should be applicable to this situation. Also, thai election laws said that an election must be held and completed on the SAME DAY.

thesetat it seems some here dont like the e.c abiding by the rules/law.....mate...and these people are meant to come from democratic countries..with just a tiny drop of education thrown in it appears...wai2.gif

• Like 1

Anti Election Committee threatens to never hold elections as they do not want their friends to lose.............and want to break the rules so the courts have to get involved to seize power and appoint a PM and appoint a cabinet................

The EC are scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

They need to kick out the PDRC sympathizers and get only true non-biased people on board.

In my opinion of course.

• Like 2

The EC surely not support the PDRC, if so they had cancelled the election after the "State of emergency", because since this point, partys not allowed to campaigning. They only look for self defence, and the law is not a bamboo you can bend like you want. Now I waiting for someone who declares the caretaker Government for failed, until it not able to hold lawful elections in the time limit. Look like they all have fear to defend the constitution...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

There are now sufficient EC personnel and police officers available to ensure that elections can be carried out at the polls that were disrupted.

One of the advantages of the election going off without a hitch at a majority of polling stations is that it means that the focus can be placed on those polls where voters' right to vote was blocked. If the EC still feels it has inadequate numbers of officials to run the vote then they can do it over 7 days @ 10 polls per day. With a few hundred police officers and the EC officials deployed at the 10 stations, they can get the job done. All they have to do is to carry out their duties. The EC has come up with excuse after excuse this election, showing itself to be inept and derelict.

The sooner the voting is undertaken, the faster this will be dealt with. It seems the EC wants to drag this out as long as possible.

I believe the royal decree for the election does not permit multiple days.

I also believe that caretaker government spokesman, Chalerm, has fallen foul of the law by announcing the result.

Election binned

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are now sufficient EC personnel and police officers available to ensure that elections can be carried out at the polls that were disrupted.

One of the advantages of the election going off without a hitch at a majority of polling stations is that it means that the focus can be placed on those polls where voters' right to vote was blocked. If the EC still feels it has inadequate numbers of officials to run the vote then they can do it over 7 days @ 10 polls per day. With a few hundred police officers and the EC officials deployed at the 10 stations, they can get the job done. All they have to do is to carry out their duties. The EC has come up with excuse after excuse this election, showing itself to be inept and derelict.

The sooner the voting is undertaken, the faster this will be dealt with. It seems the EC wants to drag this out as long as possible.

I believe the royal decree for the election does not permit multiple days.

I also believe that caretaker government spokesman, Chalerm, has fallen foul of the law by announcing the result.

Election binned

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try again.

He did not announce any result, only the EC can announce a result.

He merely said in HIS OPINION PTP will win over 250 seats.

• Like 1

"Somchai said the EC is not necessary to hold a new election that quick if it is not sure that the election would settle a political crisis."

Same attitude he had on scaring people to believe that they would be violence.

Political crisis - likely to escalate if there is no election. Is he solving a political crisis? I think more like helping the DEM on their self inflicted problems.

"It means seven days after the problem ends, not seven days after a set national election. Therefore the EC would not have to reschedule the new round of voting in 69 constituencies if the political conflict seems to ease,"

Now he spin toward political crisis from violence.

The fact that there was no violence like he described means he had neglected his duty and likely guilty of conflict of interest and abused of power.

And then you read on until you get to the part of what to do if something stops election in a limited amount of provinces. Because, remember that a huge majority of polling boots where open in Thailand. Not even the coup generals and sutheps rewrite in 2011 to win an election could be stupid enough to let a mob interrupt a limited amount of polling units to nullify the thai election.

Are these elections already about to be null and void?

The endorsement of the Royal Decree published in the Royal Gazette on the 9th December granted that the election must be held within 45 to 60 days of said publishing within the Royal Gazette. The 60 days is up this Friday the 7th February and still no valid election has occurred.

I believe this headline is wrong: to me it appears that the EC does not understand its role in facilitating independent elections on behalf of the people , WITHOUT FEAR or FAVOUR.

wow you have studied the Thai constitution and you are an expert of what should can and can not be done here

we are so lucky to have you in Thailand

I will enjoy seeing you on the front page of every Major Thai newspaper tomorrow

Western man solves the Election problem

You would not be lieing to us would you ????

His one sided red view as he works among only their perspective in his daily work studying economic disparity. That is not the only side of the coin. Don't forget the rural poor shafted by PTP and who have awoken to say no more, especially after the rice scheme scam.

• Like 1

I believe this headline is wrong: to me it appears that the EC does not understand its role in facilitating independent elections on behalf of the people , WITHOUT FEAR or FAVOUR.

wow you have studied the Thai constitution and you are an expert of what should can and can not be done here

we are so lucky to have you in Thailand

I will enjoy seeing you on the front page of every Major Thai newspaper tomorrow

Western man solves the Election problem

You would not be lieing to us would you ????

His one sided red view as he works among only their perspective in his daily work studying economic disparity. That is not the only side of the coin. Don't forget the rural poor shafted by PTP and who have awoken to say no more, especially after the rice scheme scam.

Care to explain then why in rural Thailand, more people have voted for Puea Thai on Sunday than in the last election? Those few Democrat-paid farmers blocking the highways are not the majority of rural farmers. Most of them know exactly what is going on politically and are not fooled by Suthep.

The EC surely not support the PDRC, if so they had cancelled the election after the "State of emergency", because since this point, partys not allowed to campaigning. They only look for self defence, and the law is not a bamboo you can bend like you want. Now I waiting for someone who declares the caretaker Government for failed, until it not able to hold lawful elections in the time limit. Look like they all have fear to defend the constitution...rolleyes.gif

Many members have been posting the Yingluck has out smarted the democrats and yesterday won the election

Trouble is Yingluck is nothing but a pawn with higher players in charge of this game of chess

Demoncrats have been sacrificing pawn from the start to lead Yingluck into making mistakes

And she has kept every que and just about drowned her self as she has little experience in real polotics

The demoncreats have let her become self confident

Now its time for the Courts

and PTP final days

Check Mate in the courts

post-13618-0-15523200-1391412593_thumb.p

• Like 2

Care to explain then why in rural Thailand, more people have voted for Puea Thai on Sunday than in the last election? Those few Democrat-paid farmers blocking the highways are not the majority of rural farmers. Most of them know exactly what is going on politically and are not fooled by Suthep.

Care to show links to that information, considering, AFAIK, the Election Commission haven't released any results except for voter turnout.

• Like 1

Care to show links to that information, considering, AFAIK, the Election Commission haven't released any results except for voter turnout.

Individual polling stations across Thailand have released results themselves. It's against forum rules to post these links so if you are interested in further education please go find them yourself.