Overnighting in Singapore ...suggestions please

Sparkles

Coming back from Australia via Changi Airport requiring an O/N stay.

Transit hotel within the airport seems quite expensive,with ad ons each hour, or maybe I am looking at the wrong one.

If we chose to stay outside what is the visa situation ? on arrival ?.....24 hour visa available ?any suggestions would be appreciated

If you are an Aussie then no problem for visa on arrival. There is a nice hotel down in Changi Village if you don't want to go too far, bars and food courts right next door. The Hotel at the Airport is very nice but quite steep in price.

• Like 1

Yes, the suggestion from Super Member is spot on. Just go to the hotel booking booth at arrivals, you can book there and wait for the bus to pick you up, they will even take you back in the morning before your flight out.

• Like 1

By "we" I should have mentioned with my Thai wife which I gather is not a problem.

We are flying Scoot ex Sydney and onto Bangkok and I guess the bags can be booked through to save us taklng them with us.

The hotel in Changi Village ,name ?

thanks for help

By "we" I should have mentioned with my Thai wife which I gather is not a problem.

We are flying Scoot ex Sydney and onto Bangkok and I guess the bags can be booked through to save us taklng them with us.

thanks for help

Thailand and Singapore are both in ASEAN so no problem for your Thai wife for a visa on arrival too. I often check baggage through BNE-SIN-BKK and VV on an overnight stop with Singapore Airlines. Although they own Scoot not sure if the same applies. Suggest give Scoot a call to check.

The Changi Village Hotel recommended by a poster will be a good choice, although as another poster has pointed out you can sleep and shower in the terminal - but announcements can be disturbing.

Coming back from Australia via Changi Airport requiring an O/N stay.

Transit hotel within the airport seems quite expensive,with ad ons each hour, or maybe I am looking at the wrong one.

If we chose to stay outside what is the visa situation ? on arrival ?.....24 hour visa available ?any suggestions would be appreciated

When you arrive to the airport go to the Hotel Reservations Desk. You will get rates discounted down to 50%. All the hotels put their unused capacity in that network. Ask for the Changi Village Hotel. It is a good recommendation since you are with your wife. I would think around SGD 150. Free airport shuttle. Lots of restaurants, bars and small shops open late. In the morning you can catch the bumboat to Pulau Ubin. No MRT. If thst is too expensive, take MRT to Aljunied, exit on left, lots of budget hotels in the area. Check them on Booking.com. Around 60 sgd

Well, from the Changi to any destination in the city, there is a shuttle mini-van service $7 (Nov 2012). Ask at the info desk.

Stay — if you are being a cheap charlie, stay at Little India. Cheap hotels ~$60Sing. Great food, and one of the few interesting places in Sing.

Another option close to the airport is Capri by Fraser located in Changi business park shopping center. New hotel / serviced apartments.

The rooms at Changi Village hotel are getting a bit old these days. More food and drink options at changi village but if its just an overnight stay the Capri will be more comfortable.

Prices between the two are usually comparable.

• Like 1

thanks for help

Yes, Scoot have a service called 'Scoot thru' (?) where you can check your luggage to your destination for a small additional charge - $10 or $15 USD from memory. I have read several accounts on-line of Scoot losing transit luggage though - happened to friends of mine but the bags turned up a day or two later, and they had to go back to Suvarnabhumi themselves to collect it.

There is an "airside" transit hotel at Changi that is around $50 or $60 AUD for six hours. Saves you time and cab fares etc, but you cannot collect your luggage and then go back into transit. Option here is to let your luggage end up in lost property and collect it in the morning, as recommended on forums like Tripadvisor, but I'm not that brave.

I stayed in a hotel in the red-light district the time I had luggage - five or six stops from the airport on the train, only cost $2 or so to get there. $50 for the hotel I think it was. Can post the name if you are interested.

If you are Scoot-ing all the way you will have a long transit in Singapore - 22 hours or so? There are free city tours on offer from the airport if you are wanting to do a bit of sightseeing - details on the Changi airport website. I think you get in too late for the night tour but there are a couple on during the day.

And it is worth paying a bit extra - $25 each? - for 'stretch' seats on the SYD - SIN leg. Choose the doubles up the back to avoid sitting next to a third person, Scoot is a bit squeezy for westerners. And take a cushion, they don't have headrests.

Edit: added info.

Edited by moojar
  • Like 1

There is a hotel booking service/office at the airport offering possibilities in all price levels. Singapore is small so not a far taxi ride. However, if there is a convention or other boom on hotels, the only possibilities may be up end hotels or rooms in the more “exiting areas” of Singapore; the room rates there are quite affordarble, think I paid around 70 sin$ for an Okay room when the only other option was some 450 sin$.

I feel glad to give you some suggestions living overnight in Singapore. I am writing this base on my 17 years of living in Singapore. Well for visa matter shouldn't be any problem. you can get on arrival visa for 30 days no matter how many days do you want to stay. In fact all the budget hotel in Singapore normally cost over 100SGD. Near by Changi Airport no budget hotel can be found. from airport nearest budget hotel area is Upper Changi road but still cost you over 100 SGD so no worth it and for transport wise you have to take taxi. once you out from airport immigration best way to take MRT where ever you want to go. The MRT link to the Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. If your flight to Terminal 2 then you have to take airport link train to go any of these T1 or T2. This airport link transportation is free.

How to take MRT - Go to the ticket vending machine select according to instruction, touch your destination station, insert coins or bank note. Note : you have to pay extra 1 SGD for the temporary EZ link card, when you alight you can refund that 1 SGD from ticket vending machine.

Chosing location for overnight stay.

Option 1 : stay at back packer hostel. The most convenience area is at Victoria Street. Travelling time by MRT to this place 30-40 mins. Take MRT to Bugis MRT Station. Exit towards Raffles Hospital. Walk to the Raffles hospital, behind the hospital you able to see Golden Landmark Hotel. Continue walk behind that hotel. There is a place you can see small two story houses. The alleys names are Arab street, Jln pinang, and so on. The hostel bed price range 18 to 24 SGD. you can reserve two bedroom room may cost 60-80 SGD. The room I reserved last year for 65 SGD.

This location is very convenience. From there you can walk down 7-10 mins to Raffle Hotel, city hall, Singapore esplanade, Suntec City and Merina Bay Sand (MBA). I like to walk around Esplanade and MBA in the evening. If you live there, worth for millions. From City Hall MRT station you can go to the most exotic shopping street Orchard Road by MRT to Orchard MRT Station or Somerset MRT Station. Its 3 station far from City Hall. Even you can take walk to the Orchard Road from Bugis or City Hall, its take 15-20 mins.

Option 2 : Lavender Street, which is near from option 1. You can take MRT to Lavender Station and exit to V Hotel side or if you are from option 1 then cross over Victoria Street and take any bus service two to three bus stops, so easily you can spot V Hotel at the Lavender Station. Walk behind to the V Hotel go to the Lavender Street. You can see some budget hotels, Hotel 81 or Fragrance hotel. Per night cost you over 100 SGD.

Option 3: Joo Chiat Road : You have to alight at the Paya Lebar MRT station. Travel time from airport in between 25-35 mins. When you reach this station you able to see obvious landmarks on the right hand side Singapore Post office building and a little far to the left hand side City Plaza (Lion City hotel). Once you reach this place walk to the Lion City Hotel and find the Joo Chiat Road just beside the hotel. You can find plenty of budget hotels. I think no budget hotel can find under 100 SGD. only the place where you can find under 100SGD for per night is red light area call Gylang . Gylang has many lorongs. the most popula lorong is 9,10. 11, 12 13,14,15 so on. This place is near from Kalang and Aljunied MRT station. Best to go there from Kalang MRT Station. If you are not with family then suitable. Place is cleaner, hotel also consider cleaner. If you chose to go there try to stay Hotel 81 which is reputable and clean.

Singapore Little India also a place we can find cheat hotels and hostels but as you are living for one night so I don't advise you to stay there because transportation wise inconvenience to go airport. This place is near from option one and Orchard Road. From option one you can walk 10-15 mins to reach there. To get food in Singapore convenience anywhere you live. Don't have to worry about it.

good luck.

• Like 2

I feel glad to give you some suggestions living overnight in Singapore. I am writing this base on my 17 years of living in Singapore. Well for visa matter shouldn't be any problem. you can get on arrival visa for 30 days no matter how many days do you want to stay. In fact all the budget hotel in Singapore normally cost over 100SGD. Near by Changi Airport no budget hotel can be found. from airport nearest budget hotel area is Upper Changi road but still cost you over 100 SGD so no worth it and for transport wise you have to take taxi. once you out from airport immigration best way to take MRT where ever you want to go. The MRT link to the Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. If your flight to Terminal 2 then you have to take airport link train to go any of these T1 or T2. This airport link transportation is free.

How to take MRT - Go to the ticket vending machine select according to instruction, touch your destination station, insert coins or bank note. Note : you have to pay extra 1 SGD for the temporary EZ link card, when you alight you can refund that 1 SGD from ticket vending machine.

Chosing location for overnight stay.

Option 1 : stay at back packer hostel. The most convenience area is at Victoria Street. Travelling time by MRT to this place 30-40 mins. Take MRT to Bugis MRT Station. Exit towards Raffles Hospital. Walk to the Raffles hospital, behind the hospital you able to see Golden Landmark Hotel. Continue walk behind that hotel. There is a place you can see small two story houses. The alleys names are Arab street, Jln pinang, and so on. The hostel bed price range 18 to 24 SGD. you can reserve two bedroom room may cost 60-80 SGD. The room I reserved last year for 65 SGD.

This location is very convenience. From there you can walk down 7-10 mins to Raffle Hotel, city hall, Singapore esplanade, Suntec City and Merina Bay Sand (MBA). I like to walk around Esplanade and MBA in the evening. If you live there, worth for millions. From City Hall MRT station you can go to the most exotic shopping street Orchard Road by MRT to Orchard MRT Station or Somerset MRT Station. Its 3 station far from City Hall. Even you can take walk to the Orchard Road from Bugis or City Hall, its take 15-20 mins.

Option 2 : Lavender Street, which is near from option 1. You can take MRT to Lavender Station and exit to V Hotel side or if you are from option 1 then cross over Victoria Street and take any bus service two to three bus stops, so easily you can spot V Hotel at the Lavender Station. Walk behind to the V Hotel go to the Lavender Street. You can see some budget hotels, Hotel 81 or Fragrance hotel. Per night cost you over 100 SGD.

Option 3: Joo Chiat Road : You have to alight at the Paya Lebar MRT station. Travel time from airport in between 25-35 mins. When you reach this station you able to see obvious landmarks on the right hand side Singapore Post office building and a little far to the left hand side City Plaza (Lion City hotel). Once you reach this place walk to the Lion City Hotel and find the Joo Chiat Road just beside the hotel. You can find plenty of budget hotels. I think no budget hotel can find under 100 SGD. only the place where you can find under 100SGD for per night is red light area call Gylang . Gylang has many lorongs. the most popula lorong is 9,10. 11, 12 13,14,15 so on. This place is near from Kalang and Aljunied MRT station. Best to go there from Kalang MRT Station. If you are not with family then suitable. Place is cleaner, hotel also consider cleaner. If you chose to go there try to stay Hotel 81 which is reputable and clean.

Singapore Little India also a place we can find cheat hotels and hostels but as you are living for one night so I don't advise you to stay there because transportation wise inconvenience to go airport. This place is near from option one and Orchard Road. From option one you can walk 10-15 mins to reach there. To get food in Singapore convenience anywhere you live. Don't have to worry about it.

good luck.

As an Australian, you wouldn't be entering Singapore on a visa-on-arrival basis; you would be entering on a visa exempt basis, up to 90 days, as would your wife. And take the bus into town - you can also take it back - and look on Orchard Road. Ratings and prices vary, but you should find something within your budget, probably just off Orchard Road, itself. Unfortunately, I can't recall the names of the hotels I've stayed in so can't help you with that. But you can always book, and via Booking.Com should prove reasonable.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Thanks everyone for your imput,haven't been to Singapore for about 15 years so Changi Airport very new to me.

Best airport in the world and my choice of arrival airport when I visit SE Asia.

It's been a few years since we flew through Singapore, but we used to get good deals on hotels with the Singapore Stopover Package. So if you are flying Singapore Air, you might check out their website for that package. If you decide to stay at the airport, there is a very good food court there. I don't remember the directions, but people outside the airport go there for a meal.

If your wife is Thai then you may have some trouble if she has Thai and Australian passports as we have on a number of occasions. The Singaporean immigration officials seem to ake it up as they go.

What we ended up doing on advice was to go out of Thailand on her Thai passport and into Singapore on her Australian passport. Into Australia and out on Australian passport and into and out of Singapore and back into Thailand on her Thai passport. Even then if you got the wrong bloke at Immigration in Singapore there were problems as they can be very officious and live up to their reputation as the Germans (or USA Immigration) of Asia.

So, after mulitple occasions of not ever getting a consistent answer, we now stay in the Transit area and sleep on comfortable lounges down near Gate E35 (from memory) or stay at the Transit Hotel - expensive but very comfortable and handy to all facilities.

I guess the bottom line is to check it out as much as possible before you travel and if there are problems - drop on your knees, plead, shed tears and throw yourself at their mercy...

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Thanks everyone for your imput,haven't been to Singapore for about 15 years so Changi Airport very new to me.

Best airport in the world and my choice of arrival airport when I visit SE Asia.

Oh yes I agree. After the hand carry baggage security screenin ON ARRIVAL (laptops and phones out, empty the pockets) just before the long-assed walk to Immigration and the 30 minute wait for 'priority' baggage and then the one-hour taxi rank conga line last Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely <deleted>' awesome airport.... NOT!!!

thanks for help

Yes, Scoot have a service called 'Scoot thru' (?) where you can check your luggage to your destination for a small additional charge - $10 or $15 USD from memory. I have read several accounts on-line of Scoot losing transit luggage though - happened to friends of mine but the bags turned up a day or two later, and they had to go back to Suvarnabhumi themselves to collect it.

There is an "airside" transit hotel at Changi that is around $50 or $60 AUD for six hours. Saves you time and cab fares etc, but you cannot collect your luggage and then go back into transit. Option here is to let your luggage end up in lost property and collect it in the morning, as recommended on forums like Tripadvisor, but I'm not that brave.

I stayed in a hotel in the red-light district the time I had luggage - five or six stops from the airport on the train, only cost $2 or so to get there. $50 for the hotel I think it was. Can post the name if you are interested.

If you are Scoot-ing all the way you will have a long transit in Singapore - 22 hours or so? There are free city tours on offer from the airport if you are wanting to do a bit of sightseeing - details on the Changi airport website. I think you get in too late for the night tour but there are a couple on during the day.

And it is worth paying a bit extra - $25 each? - for 'stretch' seats on the SYD - SIN leg. Choose the doubles up the back to avoid sitting next to a third person, Scoot is a bit squeezy for westerners. And take a cushion, they don't have headrests.

Actually there is a left luggage office land side at the airport and there is also one within transit.

In your case, do the Scoot Through $15 per person thing, or it is cheaper to pay $5 for early check in, so you clear customs, then check in early, you can pay cash at the check in to get rid of your bags.

Changi is the best airport in the world to kill time, but going into town is also easy, about $2 by MRT, runs stop between 2330 and 6am. There are vans and a no BS taxi is about $30 now (it is a decent drive by the way)

I see a hotel int he city on agoda for about $70, I often just pre book 4-6 hours in one of the airport hotels (airside) if arriving during the night, do that via email.

I did the Scoot-a-roo experience, and it was an experience smile.png I book SIN-Oz- (Sin)BKK and just did the first leg of another company to avoid the 23hr stop over.

That was OOL, I presume you are doing ex SYD

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

If you do decide to spend your time in transit why not take the free singapore tour you can take while you are in transit. They load you onto a bus and drive you around the sites of Singapore for 2 or 3 hours without you ever having entered Singapore.

That done settle down and watch a free movie or two in the cinima inside the transit area and have a meal. Keep your wife away from the shops in the terminal ( except they do have a 7/11 equivalent) and then have a couple of hours of relaxing on the couches or massage chairs provided in transit. If you do leave the terminal you can catch a train right from the airport to all parts of Singapore cheaply and very comfortably.

Edited by harrry

thanks for help

Thailand and Singapore are both in ASEAN so no problem for your Thai wife for a visa on arrival too. I often check baggage through BNE-SIN-BKK and VV on an overnight stop with Singapore Airlines. Although they own Scoot not sure if the same applies. Suggest give Scoot a call to check.

The Changi Village Hotel recommended by a poster will be a good choice, although as another poster has pointed out you can sleep and shower in the terminal - but announcements can be disturbing.

Scoot has a fee for the onward flight baggage connection

thanks for help

Actually there is a left luggage office land side at the airport and there is also one within transit.

Yeah, but if you are staying in the airside hotel you cannot collect your checked luggage first, as luggage collection is after immigration - land side. You'd find yourself standing land side at 20.00 with no way to re-enter airside until the next day, after you've checked in for your onward flight.

I could not speak for picking up luggage in budget as I had not flown it but I found the following

I AM ARRIVING ON A BUDGET AIRLINE FLIGHT AND DEPARTING ON ANOTHER BUDGET AIRLINE FLIGHT. CAN I GET BACK INTO TRANSIT AND USE THE TRANSIT HOTEL AFTER CLEARING CUSTOMS & IMMIGRATION?

If you arrive on JetstarAsia, Valuair or Thai Air Asia, you can stay at the Transit Hotel in Terminal 1. As the Transit Hotel is located in the Departure Transit Lounge, you should not clear Customs and Immigration upon your arrival in Singapore. We recommend that you make a room reservation with the Transit Hotel well in advance. However, you must still have the valid travel documents to clear Customs and Immigration to collect your check-in baggage from the respective airline handling agents' Lost & Found counter at the centre of the Arrival Baggage Claim Hall. It is advisable to do so at least 2 hours before you check-in for your connecting budget airline at the Departure Hall (JetstarAsia, Valuair or Thai Air Asia).

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/faq#ans2