TOT Fiber 2U and speed for websites outside Thailand.

TheScribe

sorry for going off topic but i just wanted to share how Singapore is living in an another galaxy in terms of internet connection compared to Thailand.

Myrepublic gamer ultra edition 1000mb download and 500 mb upload for only 49.99 SGD per month or roughly 1200 baht per month-

Features:

Customised routes to every game

Why should all network traffic go by the same routes overseas? GAMER delivers optimal latency and snap responsiveness with premium international routes to specific game and content servers.

Providing everything a gamer needs to perform

As a company built on the latest superior Next Generation all-fibre architecture, we strive to deliver ultra-low latency and network stability for top-notch performance to all games.

No more lag, no more excuses

Game data is given top network priority and channeled to where its intended to go via the best path, bypassing peak hour network congestion and giving you an almost unfair advantage in-game.

No BitTorrent Bandwidth Blocking :

With our network traffic priority system, my republic has no fixed speed limits or throttling for Bittorent applications.

Superior peak Hour Performance:

MyRepublic prioritizes different types of traffic , allowing streaming, surfing or gaming to run seamlessly all the time

Live Latency monitoring :

Source: https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/pricing.php

170 ms to west coast is impossible. East coast is possible from SG (Los Angeles)

Why its not possible ? 170 ms is definitely possible from singapore. I think you are mistaken los angeles is in west coast.

Agree...quite possible based on the math...and I've pulled below 200ms from here in Bangkok several times but I usually pull a little over 200ms...I'm on a True DOCSIS....yeap, 170ms from Singapore sounds about right whether on fiber/cable/xdsl.

sorry for going off topic but i just wanted to share how Singapore is living in an another galaxy in terms of internet connection compared to Thailand.

Myrepublic gamer ultra edition 1000mb download and 500 mb upload for only 49.99 SGD per month or roughly 1200 baht per month-

Features:

Why should all network traffic go by the same routes overseas? GAMER delivers optimal latency and snap responsiveness with premium international routes to specific game and content servers.

As a company built on the latest superior Next Generation all-fibre architecture, we strive to deliver ultra-low latency and network stability for top-notch performance to all games.

Game data is given top network priority and channeled to where its intended to go via the best path, bypassing peak hour network congestion and giving you an almost unfair advantage in-game.

With our network traffic priority system, my republic has no fixed speed limits or throttling for Bittorent applications.

MyRepublic prioritizes different types of traffic , allowing streaming, surfing or gaming to run seamlessly all the time

?

Where it say "up to" 1000Mbps download speed I wonder what the "up to" part really means? Kinda like where 3G speeds have advertised speeds "up to 42Mbps" but a person gets much less than that. From looking at the testmy.net website the "average" download speed being shown for MyRepublic is 12.4Mb. Link.

I expect most of the tests involved in that 12.4Mb average were tests to testmy.net U.S. servers. If true, seems MyRepublic throttles international bandwidth just like Thai ISPs do.

If you read on their website under features it says speed is guaranteed 99% of the time. But regardless of international throttling its really hard to beat for the price of only 1200 baht per momth for that speed. Also do not forget that most big websites such as facebook or youtube have local servers hosted in singapore. Edited by shariq607

Features:

170 ms to west coast is impossible. East coast is possible from SG (Los Angeles)

Why its not possible ? 170 ms is definitely possible from singapore. I think you are mistaken los angeles is in west coast.

Its easy to mix when your west is europe and new york coast is west of europe. And well, california is on the coast thats neighboring to eastern countries (Japan, China, from a big distance of course)

• 9 months later...

So, guys, would you recommend TOT or another ISP for resources outside Thailand? I need to use VPN to Russia and IP phone in Pattaya (Pratumnak Hill). Condo owner agreed to help me with installation of leased line to my apartment. And now I need to choose an ISP. I'm going to tell owner to call TOT and ask about Fiber2U prices and installation fees. I know that building is already connected to 3BB, so do I need to check its prices too or you won't recommend it for dealing with Europe servers?

I had it installed last week. 13 gig, 599b per month or thereabouts. After waiting over an hour to download a 20 meg file, wife not able to watch her stupid Korean shows and mail ports blocked for about 10 minutes after logging on, I am cancelling it. Testing this for a week now and it is NOT faster than my old TOT dsl.

This is ridiculous.

So, guys, would you recommend TOT or another ISP for resources outside Thailand? I need to use VPN to Russia and IP phone in Pattaya (Pratumnak Hill). Condo owner agreed to help me with installation of leased line to my apartment. And now I need to choose an ISP. I'm going to tell owner to call TOT and ask about Fiber2U prices and installation fees. I know that building is already connected to 3BB, so do I need to check its prices too or you won't recommend it for dealing with Europe servers?

TOT routes almost everything via Los Angeles, USA so it gives very high ping.

Avoid TOT at all costs!

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested at testmy.net on my TRUE adsl and TOT Fiber2U.

TRUE adsl result = 1.5 Mbps

TOT Fiber2U result = 14.2 Mbps

I'm very surprised actually. In the past my TRUE connection usually came out on top.

Edit: forgot to mention - 9:30pm Saturday night.

Edited by crabdog

I'm very surprised actually. In the past my TRUE connection usually came out on top.

At weekends True caps connection speed. However, it provides much better pings than TOT even in weekends.

How's your fiber2u speed in other days at evening against USA testmy.net server ?

At weekends True caps connection speed. However, it provides much better pings than TOT even in weekends.

How's your fiber2u speed in other days at evening against USA testmy.net server ?

Sorry for late reply. Will try to remember to check tonight.

Ok had a blonde moment last time and didn't realise my default server was set to Hong Kong. I changed default location on both computers (1 true, 1 tot) to Dallas and redid the test at 9:30pm Monday night. The results were as follows:

TRUE = 1.1 Mbps

TOT = 4.9 Mbps

*Note1: ROFLCOPTER! Thought I'd do another run for the sake of accuracy and it seems that both my connections have crapped out simultaneously. 9:50pm, download test to Dallas:

TRUE = 410 Kbps

TOT = 406 Kbps

wow. just wow...

**Note2: The reason I have 2 connections is because I dropped my original TRUE adsl and changed to Fiber2U. I quickly discovered TOT has rubbish routing and my ping times to Australia were stupid slow. Resubbed with TRUE adsl and for several months was getting a very solid 150ms consistently. A bit over a week ago it seems TRUE changed their international routing and my pings to Aus have been 210 ever since. No idea why they changed it - maybe the somtam vendor showed up and someone tripped over a switch in their rush to go out and buy some.

Ok had a blonde moment last time and didn't realise my default server was set to Hong Kong. I changed default location on both computers (1 true, 1 tot) to Dallas and redid the test at 9:30pm Monday night. The results were as follows:

TRUE = 1.1 Mbps

TOT = 4.9 Mbps

*Note1: ROFLCOPTER! Thought I'd do another run for the sake of accuracy and it seems that both my connections have crapped out simultaneously. 9:50pm, download test to Dallas:

TRUE = 410 Kbps

TOT = 406 Kbps

wow. just wow...

**Note2: The reason I have 2 connections is because I dropped my original TRUE adsl and changed to Fiber2U. I quickly discovered TOT has rubbish routing and my ping times to Australia were stupid slow. Resubbed with TRUE adsl and for several months was getting a very solid 150ms consistently. A bit over a week ago it seems TRUE changed their international routing and my pings to Aus have been 210 ever since. No idea why they changed it - maybe the somtam vendor showed up and someone tripped over a switch in their rush to go out and buy some.

Singapore undersea cables have problem so they tend to route via Hong Kong, or Japan, thats why you get higher ping.

TOT has no direct connection to AU. It must go through TH - USA - Australia which is extremely stupid.

I just found out TOT is cheating testmy.net big time!

I get %75 of my line speed at 20:00 against west (San jose, Ca) usa server with tot, but much slower speed via Singapore / USA personal proxy or personal VPN.

TOT clearly avoids throttling against testmy.net servers and speedtest.net servers in order to look "Okay" and save face.

• 4 months later...

I have 30Mb/s from TOT in Chiang Mai at 2 locations not far apart.

The speed is sometimes what I pay for.

Recently at one location, I have problems connecting some devices over DHCP. I have about 4 tablets, 1 PC and 1 TOT TV box.

Some times some devises will connect and at other times not.

After a week of complaining, I managed to get a technician from TOT.

He spent about 3 hours changing settings and scratching his head. I'd already done this. He had no test equipment to measure the quality of the FO signal, only an old mobile phone, so he used my laptop. In the end he made a factory reset of the Air Power router, told me to ring them and made a hasty retreat. Of course, the problem still remains and I have a contract with TOT, not the router manufacturer.

I'm looking for possible explanations of the cause.

Does anyone have any technical suggestions? If I knew the cause, it would help me understand the problem. TOT don't know.

I think it's outside in the system but what can it be?

DHCP on the LAN side of the connection is controlled entirely by your consumer router.

You may need to get TOT to replace it.

Otherwise, if it's a Fiber Optic router, you will need to place it into BRIDGE Mode and add another functioning router to replace and take over for those tasks.

While issues can arise with DHCP functionality on a complex LAN with multiple devices, your's sounds like a simple LAN and unless one of your devices is causing interference (either noise or bogus packet traffic) or something else nearby is causing interference, my guess would be a failing function on the router.

DHCP on the LAN side of the connection is controlled entirely by your consumer router.

You may need to get TOT to replace it.

Otherwise, if it's a Fiber Optic router, you will need to place it into BRIDGE Mode and add another functioning router to replace and take over for those tasks.

While issues can arise with DHCP functionality on a complex LAN with multiple devices, your's sounds like a simple LAN and unless one of your devices is causing interference (either noise or bogus packet traffic) or something else nearby is causing interference, my guess would be a failing function on the router.

Thanks for the reply. I did have another router (access point) upstairs but I've taken this off on fed the cable directly to the TOT TV box.

The strange thing is, this morning my tablet was working fine but not the TV or my PC and another tablet. This afternoon, everything starts to work OK again. For how long, needs to be determined.

The fact that it works OK sometimes rules out component failure on wither the router or the FO interface.

Yesterday, I changed the gateway to 192.168.11.1 to try to ill eliminate interference but thus did do much so I went back to normal settings ...0.1

It does seem like some sort of interference from nearby routers.

Thanks for your help

If you have another ROUTER on your LAN it potentially will create problems if it is still set to issue IP Addresses to requesting connecting devices (DHCP).

It may be that you have TWO routers answering DHCP requests, or the WiFi Radio is misrouting or dropping the WiFi-handled DHCP requests and not properly forwarding them along to the functional working Gateway.

If you are using a "ADSL Router WiFi" device as a "WiFi-only Access Point" you should disable as many "Router" features on that device as possible, otherwise it may continue to capture and route traffic to its (disconnected) ADSL Gateway Interface.

Try disabling DHCP Server on the WiFi Router.

testmy.net is cool, but also really complicated. is there no one-button option?

I tested my TOT fiber 30/3 connection. Default test was to Hong Kong, even though that wasn't on the main results page (huh?), only in the details.

HK tested at 4.5Mbps, rock solid connection, very little variance.

San Jose tested at 2 Mbps with large variance, so in other words, crap. Didn't know my connection was quite that bad!

I can see it in web pages and sometimes youtube stuttering, but other than that the various exceptions to the rule make TOT feel much better. That is there's caching, there's co-hosting so for example if I download updates from Apple servers, which tend to be several GB, I get full 30mbps line speed, there's torrenting with parallel connections, also full line speed.

Edited by nikster