Prepaid 4G?

build6

Hi,

I'm clicking around the True website - am I correct in thinking that it's possible to get access to True's 4G network with a prepaid card ?

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/4g/packages?ln=en seems to imply yes (even though I'd have to use a Manchester United card - no I am not a fan).

Anyone with actual experience care to talk about it?

Edited by build6

Correct - Manchester SIM looking at the web. I am not sure about up country but there is quite a bit of 4g in Bangkok + the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hrm. True staff at Central World BKK told me "postpay only" when I asked. You got any recommendations where I can go get one of those SIMs?

Correct - Manchester SIM looking at the web. I am not sure about up country but there is quite a bit of 4g in Bangkok + the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hrm. True staff at Central World BKK told me "postpay only" when I asked. You got any recommendations where I can go get one of those SIMs?

Try another shop.... Most likely staff don't know. Just say u saw it on the web, and ask for a manager if staff don't know

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Which pre-paid mobile data plans include 4G? Do you have to pay the 99 baht/month incremental fee (waived for post-paid subscribers)?

I can't find any pre-paid mobile data plans which include 4G, but maybe the 3G plans can be used and will include 4G?

The Man U SIM seems to allow pre-paid users to access the 4G network, but unless Man U score a lot of goals/win a lot of games it looks like you'll be paying 1 baht/MB, after you use your 90 MB initial allotment.

RealFuture (TrueMove) are supposed to have 4G coverage on 700 towers in metro-Bangkok (and in/around SBIA/BKK) and another 1,200 towers around the country by the end of March, 2014.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g#pane04

post-9615-0-29823900-1392168731_thumb.jp

The Man U SIM seems to allow pre-paid users to access the 4G network, but unless Man U score a lot of goals/win a lot of games it looks like you'll be paying 1 baht/MB, after you use your 90 MB initial allotment.

yeah I'm not a fan myself, so I was very... amused when I read about the "bonus features".

what i understood (i could be wrong) is that the plan is also open to the usual "x baht for y MB" overlay plans that DTAC and AIS both have? (I'm really not familiar with True). so you'd use some USSD code to prepay for some data volume/time and pay a lower effective rate? you'd need to right SIM to get onto the 4G network in the first place but after that it would work the same as any other prepay card?

I'm going to blow some money and find out in a couple of days... (that's what prepay is for, eh ?)

what i understood (i could be wrong) is that the plan is also open to the usual "x baht for y MB" overlay plans that DTAC and AIS both have? (I'm really not familiar with True). so you'd use some USSD code to prepay for some data volume/time and pay a lower effective rate?

I could not find any pre-paid mobile data ("overlay) plans from TrueMove H/RealFuture which include 4G/LTE - all are limited to 3G (CAT/850). There are a few post-paid plans in the iNet, iTalk, iSmart line which do include 4G/LTE.

I'm guessing RealFuture wants to keep this premium service available to their select high-value/post-paid customers who have LTE/Band 1-compatible devices, but assume they'll eventually offer pre-paid options?

I know TrueMove is grappling with issues related to capex funding needed to satisfy their build-out of 3G/2100 MHz requirement of 50% coverage by the end of this year, but expect the NBTC to "cut them some slack".

Real Future of True Corp has promised the regulator it will install 6,000 more 2.1-gigahertz sites this year after completing only 1,000* out of the 4,400 sites targeted for last year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/business/Real-Future-vows-to-step-up-30224190.html

*They may have only turned up ~ 500 base-stations as of 12/13/13.

• Like 1

what i understood (i could be wrong) is that the plan is also open to the usual "x baht for y MB" overlay plans that DTAC and AIS both have? (I'm really not familiar with True). so you'd use some USSD code to prepay for some data volume/time and pay a lower effective rate?

I could not find any pre-paid mobile data ("overlay) plans from TrueMove H/RealFuture which include 4G/LTE - all are limited to 3G (CAT/850). There are a few post-paid plans in the iNet, iTalk, iSmart line which do include 4G/LTE.

I'm guessing RealFuture wants to keep this premium service available to their select high-value/post-paid customers who have LTE/Band 1-compatible devices, but assume they'll eventually offer pre-paid options?

I know TrueMove is grappling with issues related to capex funding needed to satisfy their build-out of 3G/2100 MHz requirement of 50% coverage by the end of this year, but expect the NBTC to "cut them some slack".

Real Future of True Corp has promised the regulator it will install 6,000 more 2.1-gigahertz sites this year after completing only 1,000* out of the 4,400 sites targeted for last year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/business/Real-Future-vows-to-step-up-30224190.html

*They may have only turned up ~ 500 base-stations as of 12/13/13.

Usual Tripe from Loma....... obviously jealous DTAC has a crap 3G network, and no 4G.

p.s. Since you are so in tune, how come "TrueMove" is involved in 2100Mhz/3G..... i thought it was a different entity..... i thought True Move was the 2G operation ?

Secondly its fun to focus on their 2100 mhz roll out, whilst pretending that True 850 Mhz, the biggest and the best in the country, does not exist (waow.... them big fonts really stick out eh )

Don't forget - AIS says they now have 10,000 2100 mhz sites / 3 = equivalent of 3500 in 850 Spectrum........ and AIS is miles ahead of DTAC

Edited by skippybangkok

DTAC has a crap 3G network, and no 4G.

p.s. Since you are so in tune, how come "TrueMove" is involved in 2100Mhz/3G..... i thought it was a different entity..... i thought True Move was the 2G operation ?

Secondly its fun to focus on their 2100 mhz roll out, whilst pretending that True 850 Mhz, the biggest and the best in the country, does not exist (waow.... them big fonts really stick out eh )

Don't forget - AIS says they now have 10,000 2100 mhz sites / 3 = equivalent of 3500 in 850 Spectrum........ and AIS is miles ahead of DTAC

I'm pretty new to Thailand and have avoided True up to now, primarily due to word-of-mouth recommendations from people I know - it's been almost universal complaints about True coverage and reliability (no joke - I've not heard a single good thing about True from people I face-to-face know, quite a few of whom have left True).

I went with AIS at first because I have 900MHz hardware from my origin country, but AIS performance has been bad for me so I dipped my toes in with DTAC and have found it superior and (assuming True doesn't blow me away like you suggest) I'll be migrating to as my "permanent home".

I'm only even considering True because of the hope I can get some 4G sometimes - if not for that, I'd just go DTAC now, so positive has been my DTAC experience. I've been traveling around Thailand quite a bit now for work, and I've only been to one or two places where AIS 3G is better than DTAC (this is in comparison for both 850-900 and 2100 on both).

gonna head out to a True shop in a bit to try to get ahold of a 4G prepaid, I guess I'm gonna find out!

If your new, then most likely not speak Thai. A lot of locals are moving to True 3G as it's the biggest in the country, and is far bigger than their old 2G coverage.

Main issue is brand loyalty - my Neighbour is out in his garden making phone calls on AIS 3G, when ask him why he does not move over, he says " I like the brand". Look forward to seeing him out in his garden in the rainy season making calls :)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by skippybangkok

Instead of listening others' advises, why not buy a test SIM from each provider and try them in your area?

I've personally been with AIS for years and was never happy with their 3G performance, it was non-existent pretty much (no internet access for the most part), I was getting better results by manually switching to their 2G network.

In up country where I spend a big chunk of my free time, AIS doesn't even have 3G.

After I switched to True H it was like jumping from a bicycle on to a Ducatti bike! I've got fast 3G pretty much everywhere I go, downtown BKK, rural areas, and just traveling through Thailand I'm able to keep the 3G signal, no complains.

My one complain was during my recent trip to Koh Lipe where I've had no reception at all but my GF with her AIS had a phone reception AND a decent speed 3G. Wasn't a big deal as I don't live on an island and I can comfortably stay out of phone coverage areas for a little while, not going to hurt anything. :D

• Like 2

I'm Thai and using Truemove-H 3G (+4G LTE) so happy without complain (sometime network get stuck but it's fine). FYI your phone "must" support 3G/HSPA 850 Mhz for the best coverage. (2100 is very small number base station)

I also using AIS 3G 2100 and it's good too. (Early this month they said they already completed 20,000 3G 2100Mhz base station)

DTAC .. Stay away from them.

Here's coverage map as of February 2014

AIS 3G 2100MHz

1781879_692221517467153_834930385_n.jpg

dtac mainly 3G 850MHz (and very small number 4G LTE base station in Bangkok by April 2014)

1795518_692221520800486_1802100744_n.jpg

TRUEMOVE-H mainly 3G 850MHz & 4G LTE 2100MHz (Some LTE service Area in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathumthani, Samutpreakarn, Khonkhan, Chiangmai, Cha-um Huahin, Chonburi (Pattaya), Korat, Nakornsritammarat, Pitsanulok, Phuket, Songkhla, Suratthani, Ubonratchathani, Ayutthaya)

1656031_692221524133819_1742593432_n.jpg

• Like 1

I also using AIS 3G 2100 and it's good too. (Early this month they said they already completed 20,000 3G 2100Mhz base station)

AIS did brief the press ~ 4 Feb, claiming 97% coverage with 20,000 3G/2100 MHz base-stations, and 37 million total customers, of which 17 million are on the 2100 MHz 3G network (AWN). They plan to migrate another 15 million customers to 2100 MHz this year. In that same briefing, AIS CEO Wichian Mektrakarn said that AIS faces severe congestion next year - they only have 15 MHz of 2100 MHz 3G, and their GSM900 concession ends in 2015 - unless the planned (September) 1800 MHz/LTE auction moves forward. But there may not be enough 1800 MHz spectrum available for a viable auction?

In a briefing on Friday, DTAC claimed 28 million customers, with 14 million on 3G (850/2100); 5,500 3G/2100 MHz base-stations, and 11,000 3G/2100 MHz base-stations by June. They also have 5,200 3G/850 MHz base-stations; their 1800 MHz concession runs until 2018. Further, they claimed 1 million existing LTE-capable customers, and plan to deploy 300 base-stations with 2100/LTE by June.

The last figures I saw for CAT/850 was 13,000 base stations. TrueMove H resells CAT/850. TrueMove H have installed some 2100MHz/LTE, but very little 2100 MHz/3G, their True Growth Infrastructure Fund may have raised ~ 58 billion baht so I assume they can now build out their 2100 MHz/3G network. I haven't seen any subscriber figures from True since Q3; they are due to release Q4_2013 financials on 28 Feb, with an Analyst briefing on 7 March,

After I switched to True H it was like jumping from a bicycle on to a Ducatti bike! I've got fast 3G pretty much everywhere I go, downtown BKK, rural areas, and just traveling through Thailand I'm able to keep the 3G signal, no complains.

Cheers... And also pB2002.

Good to hear real user experience rather than Lomatopo hyperbowl which lacks in terms of logic and industry knowledge

From what I've seen and personally experienced, Iomatopo has been unfailingly helpful and informative in this forum. That is a lot more than can be said for almost everybody else.

DTAC works fine for me, and with very few exceptions, works better than AIS, by which I mean both in coverage and speeds (in the areas I go to anyways, which is what counts for me).

True has worked alright so far, though I have also been to places where I got the "R" for roaming (somewhere near Prachuap, last I looked), which I found disconcerting. I have seen True faster than DTAC, but not always and not by very much. And, vice versa:

I'm in south Thailand right now (near the Malaysian border) and have just tested (Ookla speedtest) both DTAC and True - both with H+ connections.

True: 6.46Mbps download, 1.77Mbps upload.

DTAC: 18.69Mbps down, 3.96Mbps up.

Edited by build6
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've seen and personally experienced, Iomatopo has been unfailingly helpful and informative in this forum. That is a lot more than can be said for almost everybody else.

DTAC works fine for me, and with very few exceptions, works better than AIS, by which I mean both in coverage and speeds (in the areas I go to anyways, which is what counts for me).

True has worked alright so far, though I have also been to places where I got the "R" for roaming (somewhere near Prachuap, last I looked), which I found disconcerting. I have seen True faster than DTAC, but not always and not by very much. And, vice versa:

I'm in south Thailand right now (near the Malaysian border) and have just tested (Ookla speedtest) both DTAC and True - both with H+ connections.

True: 6.46Mbps download, 1.77Mbps upload.

DTAC: 18.69Mbps down, 3.96Mbps up.

In Surat Thani now, DTAC wins again (smaller margin now though) -

DTAC: 6.24 down, 1.26 up

True: 3.55 down, 1.79 up

both showing H+ connections

I'd followed up with True support email. They've actually confirmed that the Manchester United prepaid SIM is in fact supposed to get you on the 4G network. That I have not been able to they are saying is not an APN issue but that I must go to a True shop and change the SIM. I have not been able to go to a True shop yet. Will update once I do.

Re: plans, I decided actually asking is likely to give me as many different answers as people I ask, so what I was planning to try was to just simply use the USSD codes for the 3G packages and see if it works for LTE as well. If it doesn't then...well DTAC is supposed to start rolling out 4G in a few weeks right? :P

I'd followed up with True support email. They've actually confirmed that the Manchester United prepaid SIM is in fact supposed to get you on the 4G network. That I have not been able to they are saying is not an APN issue but that I must go to a True shop and change the SIM. I have not been able to go to a True shop yet. Will update once I do.

Re: plans, I decided actually asking is likely to give me as many different answers as people I ask, so what I was planning to try was to just simply use the USSD codes for the 3G packages and see if it works for LTE as well. If it doesn't then...well DTAC is supposed to start rolling out 4G in a few weeks right? tongue.png

Was in True shop today , they have regular prepaid 4G sims. No need for manchester U.

• Like 1

Was in True shop today , they have regular prepaid 4G sims. No need for manchester U.

Which prepaid SIM is this? I hadn't been aware of any non-Man U ones (I wondered why).

Actually which True shop is this? I'd make the trip down there if possible, tired of arguing with staff as to existence/nonexistence of particular plans etc.