Poll: what is your nationality and race/ethnicity?

wym

What is your nationality and/or ethnicity  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have polled as UK but I consider myself Scottish first then UK then European then a citizen of the planet Earth.

Isnt that like an Australian saying they're English? Why do Scot's have this habit of switching between both?

My friend does this and its really annoying.. Im from England but im really Scottish. But hes born in England..

Do African Americans say "Im an American, but im really African.."

I don't think you understand the UK. The UK is a state born from the unification of 4 separate nation (England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland). When I say I am Scottish it is true. I have a UK passport but born in Scotland. Just as an Englishman or Welshman are proud of their heritage they are also citizens of the UK.

Australia is an independent country. I can't speak for your friend as to me the country you were born in determines your nationality. Perhaps his parents are Scottish and he has spent most of his life in Scotland. I have a friend who has a Scottish father, Malaysian mother, was born in Ghana and spent most his life in Scotland. He believes he is Scottish.

• Like 1

I have polled as UK but I consider myself Scottish first then UK then European then a citizen of the planet Earth.

Isnt that like an Australian saying they're English? Why do Scot's have this habit of switching between both?

My friend does this and its really annoying.. Im from England but im really Scottish. But hes born in England..

Do African Americans say "Im an American, but im really African.."

I don't think you understand the UK. The UK is a state born from the unification of 4 separate nation (England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland). When I say I am Scottish it is true. I have a UK passport but born in Scotland. Just as an Englishman or Welshman are proud of their heritage they are also citizens of the UK.

Australia is an independent country. I can't speak for your friend as to me the country you were born in determines your nationality. Perhaps his parents are Scottish and he has spent most of his life in Scotland. I have a friend who has a Scottish father, Malaysian mother, was born in Ghana and spent most his life in Scotland. He believes he is Scottish.

Considering that Australia has states called New South Wales, and Victoria for example, I think it fairly plainly shows a British heritage.

My father is English Scottish, but was brought up in Wales and has lived here his whole life. He has never really said out loud to anyone he is Welsh.

Welshness. You falang no undursatand.

• Like 1

Considering that Australia has states called New South Wales, and Victoria for example, I think it fairly plainly shows a British heritage.

My father is English Scottish, but was brought up in Wales and has lived here his whole life. He has never really said out loud to anyone he is Welsh.

Welshness. You falang no undursatand.

There are quite a few places around the world with a British heritage from our colonial days but those days are long gone and most of these countries are fiercely independent e.g. USA, Australia, India, Pakistan, and numerous more. It's good that we still share some cultural bonds with these countries either through language, business, foreign policy, the commonwealth etc.

I work with a guy from the north east of England who married a Welsh girl and he has picked up a bit of the accent and supports Swansea. We sometimes wind him up about being Welsh which he denies as he is a England and Middlesborough supporter.

I think in general the different nationalities in the UK all get along fine and have a healthy respect for each other. We can all wind each other up about our heritage without taking it too seriously but when the chips are down we all pull together.

Indeed. Its just a bit of fun. Very surprised having returned after nearly 20 years away, how much more Welsh, Wales has become.

Maybe its the assembly? Anyway, as long as we beat the English in the rugby we don't care. Lol

• Like 1

You should read a geography book before you spew your nonsense. Or, maybe an encyclopedia. Yes the continents are North and South America. I am from the United States of America. Hence the name. Wee fact for you to digest; Brazilians and Mexicans do not call themselves Americans.

Indeed! When people saw the ads for "The Ugly American" they weren't thinking about Peruvians!

post-37101-0-95679400-1391525035_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

American by birth, Texan by choice.

So you are American from the USA then ... rolleyes.gif

I am Mexican, hence I am Americian

I am Brazilian, hence I am American

I am ...

So David's Mexican. That's ok man, we still love ya.

I would assume that the results would actually be UK, Australia, European, US, Asian, Other. It's too bad the poll is only as accurate as the people that vote though.

It seems like that wooden door forum is nearly all Australian. They use so much slang over there, it is hard to follow. At least I understand most posts on this website.

I am ...

Yes, I know you guys hate it when I refer to that wee fact!

You should read a geography book before you spew your nonsense. Or, maybe an encyclopedia. Yes the continents are North and South America. I am from the United States of America. Hence the name. Wee fact for you to digest; Brazilians and Mexicans do not call themselves Americans.

Nice that you agree with me ... you are from the USA ... thumbsup.gif

Oh for that wee lesson ... from Wiki ...

.. America,also known as the New World, are the combined continental landmasses of North America and South America in the. Along with their associated islands, they cover 8.3% of the Earth's total surface area (28.4% of its land area).

The topography is dominated by the American Cordillera, a long chain of mountains that run the length of the west coast. The flatter eastern side of the Americas is dominated by large river basins, such as the Amazon, Mississippi, and La Plata.

Extending 14,000 km (8,699 mi) in a north-south orientation, the climate and ecology varies widely across the Americas, from arctic tundra of norther Canada, Greenland and Alaska, to the tropical rain forests in Central America and South America.

Wiki Link

As for consulting an Atlas ... let's have a wee peek for a country called America ...

karte-nord-und-suedamerika.jpg

Nope ... nothing there either... coffee1.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I am from the United States of America.

Indeed! When people saw the ads for "The Ugly American" they weren't thinking about Peruvians!

ugly.jpg

Dude ... agreed !

An American can indeed be from the USA ... in fact, the most popular country in the Americas is the USA.

Same as a German can be from Europe, or a Swede be from either Scandinavia or Europe.

Good to see that we are singing from the same song sheet on this ... thumbsup.gif

May these moments of solidarity continue I say.

Indeed. Its just a bit of fun. Very surprised having returned after nearly 20 years away, how much more Welsh, Wales has become.

Maybe its the assembly? Anyway, as long as we beat the English in the rugby we don't care. Lol

At least the Welsh have a chance at beating the English at rugby. Us Scots don't have much chance of winning anything nowadays. Certainly not football or rugby. Maybe tennis laugh.png

My options were similarly limited. I am English (first and foremost), therefore a British Citizen who is European. :)

The earth bit, I assume is a given for most people, although, there was this one girl I knew.........crazy.gif

• Like 1

At least the Welsh have a chance at beating the English at rugby. Us Scots don't have much chance of winning anything nowadays. Certainly not football or rugby. Maybe tennis laugh.png

Actually, you sell the proud sporting acumen of the Brave Hearts a wee bit short.

A few years ago, in a blowing gale and sheeting wind, you beat the Wallabies on their home turf.

A Scottish win ... against all odds a win for the ages ... clap2.gif

• Like 1

Would independence count as a victory? :)

It goes around and comes around.

Would independence count as a victory? smile.png

IMHO independence would be a defeat for common sense. I think the UK is better off the way it is but we live in a democracy so if the majority vote for it then we will make the most of our lot. The only thing about this vote is that we can't become independent, decide we made a mistake and vote to reverse it in a few years like you can with the government. There's no turning back from this decision.

• Like 2

I am ...

Yes, I know you guys hate it when I refer to that wee fact!

Nice that you agree with me ... you are from the USA ... thumbsup.gif

Oh for that wee lesson ... from Wiki ...

.. America,also known as the New World, are the combined continental landmasses of North America and South America in the. Along with their associated islands, they cover 8.3% of the Earth's total surface area (28.4% of its land area).

The topography is dominated by the American Cordillera, a long chain of mountains that run the length of the west coast. The flatter eastern side of the Americas is dominated by large river basins, such as the Amazon, Mississippi, and La Plata.

Extending 14,000 km (8,699 mi) in a north-south orientation, the climate and ecology varies widely across the Americas, from arctic tundra of norther Canada, Greenland and Alaska, to the tropical rain forests in Central America and South America.

Wiki Link

As for consulting an Atlas ... let's have a wee peek for a country called America ...

karte-nord-und-suedamerika.jpg

Nope ... nothing there either... coffee1.gif

I see you like to pick and choose your facts to suit your weak argument. Of course the map you show omits the proper names of two countries, but let's not worry about that. It's the United States of America and the United States of Mexico. Now can you see? No, you can't. You put in troll posts to see what type of rise you can get. But I have time, and you are wrong. I also notice you do not say directly I am wrong, just use ambiguous "facts" to suit your needs. I am from the good ol' US of A. Don't like it, don't come here. Argue facts.

Edited by soundman
Quotes fixed.

Would independence count as a victory? smile.png

IMHO independence would be a defeat for common sense. I think the UK is better off the way it is but we live in a democracy so if the majority vote for it then we will make the most of our lot. The only thing about this vote is that we can't become independent, decide we made a mistake and vote to reverse it in a few years like you can with the government. There's no turning back from this decision.

OK, you've got common sense, but how many other Scots have not realised that if they take the wrong road there is no turning back. Yet according to Salmonds, if the vote goes against him, he will go back, expecting that within 20yrs that they will try again and then again until, they do get the decision that he wants. This is one of the reasons that many English people are so sick of this question, we don't want it to continue, better to separate now and be done with this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

[

Here's my 2 pence/cents/satangs worth. The Americas made up of the 2 continents of North and South America with Central America being the land bridge connecting the 2. Technically people from the Americas are known as Americans but to add a bit of clarity they can be referred to as North, Central or South Americans. Breaking it down to individual countries you have Brazil with its Brazilians, Peru with its Peruvians, Mexico with its Mexicans, Canada with its Canadians and the United States of America with its err....United Statesians? or United Saters? Maybe United States of Americans? The last one sound better but is a bit of a mouthful, lets just call them Americans for shortsmile.png I think if you surveyed people from all over the world 99% would recognise people from the US as being Americans. Technically Americans could mean anyone from the Americas but most would clarify that by saying North, South or Central American or the nationality.

I understand why it may annoy some people and Americans should be aware of this. I come from the UK and many foreigners including Americans talk about England when they mean the UK. You can imagine as a Scotsman this can be a little annoying but also understandable.

A bit like the UK but on a much larger scale the US is made up of many states with there own identity and many are proud to be Texan or Californian or Alaskan first and American second.

As an Englishman i would like to back the Scots up on their dislike at being referred to as England by foreigners (especially Americans) when the correct description is the UK. It reminds me of when I was in the forces stationed abroad, when the locals always referred to the UK as London.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand