Poll: what is your nationality and race/ethnicity?

wym

What is your nationality and/or ethnicity  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very good article. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the use of the word "Americans", the vast majority of folks the world over call people from the USA Americans. It doesn't harm anyone so just accept it and move on.

Accept the things you can't change, spend your energy trying to change the things you can.

• Like 1

I'm a bloody American (that's a NATIONALITY, mate) and no Latin American (that's a REGION of the Americas, DIFFERENT type of things, innit?) inspired anti-imperialist meme is gonna change that!

How do AMERICAN presidents address their people?

My Fellow Americans.

post-37101-0-49695400-1391627451_thumb.j

Do the leaders of any OTHER nation in the Americas have that custom? Of course not because that's not the name of THEIR countries.

Really, deal with it. It's not any more arrogant than any other country asserting the name of their own nationality.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

mate you havent added enough, I am aussie(second fleet and 1854 immigration) with french(bigot), german(schmidt), scottish(mcleans/stewarts) and english(priest) backgrounds, mum always said there was irish in there too but I havent found that. The names are my grandparents(incl. maiden names), there are several more in the family tree along with 8 second fleeters so I am a real bitsa.

No you are not, you are one maybe two depending on the passport you hold and place of birth. Like the American "Irish" who have to go back 6 generations to find someone who once knew a potato farmer...........

IMHO independence would be a defeat for common sense. I think the UK is better off the way it is but we live in a democracy so if the majority vote for it then we will make the most of our lot. The only thing about this vote is that we can't become independent, decide we made a mistake and vote to reverse it in a few years like you can with the government. There's no turning back from this decision.

OK, you've got common sense, but how many other Scots have not realised that if they take the wrong road there is no turning back. Yet according to Salmonds, if the vote goes against him, he will go back, expecting that within 20yrs that they will try again and then again until, they do get the decision that he wants. This is one of the reasons that many English people are so sick of this question, we don't want it to continue, better to separate now and be done with this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I hear you nontabury. I'm sick of hearing about independence also. The thing is that most Scot's don't even think about it. It's self serving politicians that keep the independence questions in the public domain. We voted no in the 70's. If we vote no again do you think the politicians in the SNP will all say "OK we are wrong let's all retire and give up on independence"? No way. They will bang on about it forever as long as it keeps them in a job and in the limelight.

Everything you say is 100% correct, now lets wait until September and see how many Lemmings

blindly follow Salmons.

But us Aussies don't start wars

I think some indigenous peoples (First Australians) might disagree

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/68399/Black-War

Yep that is correct, if you must bring up something that happened over 300 years ago.

Oh! That's quite recent, the Irish and Scots are still remembering wars much older, and as for the English, they still have't forgiven the French for 1066.

But us Aussies don't start wars

I think some indigenous peoples (First Australians) might disagree

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/68399/Black-War

Yep that is correct, if you must bring up something that happened over 300 years ago.

Oh! That's quite recent, the Irish and Scots are still remembering wars much older, and as for the English, they still have't forgiven the French for 1066.

Banockburn 1314

Wembley 1967

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

What possible reason would someone ask such a question, and more so, whatever could induce someone to respond?

I think I've figured that out. It is a poll to see which nationalities/ethnic groups are most like to cast a vote in a poll that has no apparent purpose. I didn't vote, so I guess that means... ... ... actually, I don't have a clue what that means.

As for the American vs US citizen debate going on. I don't think Canadians usually call themselves "Americans" for fear of being deemed a US citizen. In my experience, when people in The Americas, refer to an "American" they always mean a US citizen. But when some Americans travel, they make a point of displaying a Canadian flag somewhere on their luggage, so I can see why it gets so confusing. whistling.gif (Is this the 'tongue in cheek' thingy?)

Edited by Brevity

Now that we have settled that ... apologies to the OP ... we seem to have steered the ship a little off course.

Let me get the rudder pointed again in the right direction.

I'm an Aussie, born in Australia ... or, as our friends from across the Ditch like to refer to us as New Zealand's West Island.

Definitely white, though, if left out in the sun too long, liable to turn a 'Lighter shade of Pale', then a light red ... then a crimson Red!

I'll duck up and vote now!

You wrote, "Now that we have settled that." You settled your own argument? No way.

I asked a well educated Thai immigration official (because we are in Thailand and he deals with many different countries daily). So I asked, "do you know me?" He said, "yes." I asked him. "what kind of passport do I have?" He said, "American." I asked him what was my nationality and he answered, "American." I asked him if America was a country? He said, "of course." Just to check I asked him do Mexicans have American passports? He said no.

Different words are used differently in different places. Since this is Thailand and the forum, ThaiVisa, what better person to ask than a Thai Immigration officer?

So there you have it. So now we have settled that.

Oh please save me ... an repeated conversation with a Thai immigration Official is now being offered as proof of an 'American' Passport ... facepalm.gif

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Looks the United States of America to me ... whistling.gif

Good old US of A ...

Guys, just accept it as a fact ... the USA is simply that ... the USA ... and a great and powerful nation it is.

But it's not 'America'.

It's popular colloquialism to refer to the USA as America, undoubtedly ... but the country is the USA.

How many international conventions would you like recognized?

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

521f6cceb2e0f.preview-300.jpg

Your own Postage Stamp ...

stamps5.jpg

How about the Official Olympic Team Logo?

olympic-team-logo.jpg

Lets just end this conversation there and return to the OP's question ... OK?

Why? It was ,is, one of the dumbest topics yet. Only you mob from Yankeeland cant see that.

Oh please save me ... an repeated conversation with a Thai immigration Official is now being offered as proof of an 'American' Passport ... facepalm.gif

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Looks the United States of America to me ... whistling.gif

Good old US of A ...

Guys, just accept it as a fact ... the USA is simply that ... the USA ... and a great and powerful nation it is.

But it's not 'America'.

It's popular colloquialism to refer to the USA as America, undoubtedly ... but the country is the USA.

How many international conventions would you like recognized?

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

521f6cceb2e0f.preview-300.jpg

Your own Postage Stamp ...

stamps5.jpg

How about the Official Olympic Team Logo?

olympic-team-logo.jpg

Lets just end this conversation there and return to the OP's question ... OK?

Why? It was ,is, one of the dumbest topics yet. Only you mob from Yankeeland cant see that.

Why would you tell David who is an Australian that?

Edited by thailiketoo

The "silly queens" children and grandchildren go off to war. One of your presidents was a draft dodger,hid in Canada, another joined the National Guard to get out of going to war, another enrolled in college to avoid consciption, I could go on forever if necessary .All draft dodgers.

A new topic eh? American Presidents. None were draft dodgers and none went into hiding in Canada. You are wrong.

How about a poll "how many sexual partners have you ever had?" whistling.gif

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

Go on, Wym, make that thread!

Odd. Is organ size next as they seem to go together for discussion of 12 year old males when they reach puberty.

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

Odd. Is organ size next as they seem to go together for discussion of 12 year old males when they reach puberty.

If your mind is curious about other member's organs then I suggest the query could be satisfied by correlating various ethnicities average organ size (google is your friend for this data) with the results of this ethniticy/race poll.

Edited by RandomSand

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

If your mind is curious about other member's organs then I suggest the query could be satisfied by correlating various ethnicities average organ size (google is your friend for this data) with the results of this ethniticy/race poll.

Interesting thought. Do you think certain ethnic groups jump higher too?

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

Yeah, and everyone will tell the truth and won't exagerate cheesy.gif

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

Interesting thought. Do you think certain ethnic groups jump higher too?

I don't know but if we have a "bed post notches" poll then we'd know how quickly they jump into bed... of course we'd have to use the age poll data to ascertain the quickness. tongue.png

Edited by RandomSand

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

If its not a pipe organ, it doesn't matter. biggrin.png

David

0-1

2-9

10-24

25-99

100-499

500-999

1000+

I'm sure many here have like me gotten well enough beyond your log scale there it would need a few more categories.

I'm currently at 3,832; started counting with a little log book at 13, switched to a Palm Pilot in my 30's, now on my phone. Still keep in touch with 200+ of them. . .

Not that I'm actually proud mind you, everyone's got to have a hobby.

What is your nationality

• Other European cheesy.gif ...?
  • Every one lump together, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Polan, Portugal, Romania, (part of) Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, (part of) Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican. thumbsup.gif ...so many things in common!
  • I reckon 'murikan and geography... outside the States whistling.gif
  • http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/eu.htm

OK Tchooptip, just for you!

Breakdown of European nationalities and race/ethnicity - can't give more than 20 choices, so had to do three separate polls

...I was just joking do not take it seriously... I knew wai.gif

...I was just joking do not take it seriously... I knew wai.gif

And I went to all that trouble!

Oh well, learned a bit more geography, we Yanks can always do with that, I'll have to make sure to not leave Israel out next time even if the Ashkenazim are now a minority 8-)