Poll: what is your nationality and race/ethnicity?

wym

What is your nationality and/or ethnicity  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is quite obvious that this thread has attracted foreigners.

And you know what happens when too many of them move in don't you? There goes the neighborhood with their strange cooking odors, offensive behaviours, questionable hygiene and foreign customs. This has to stop. All you lot go away. You read me right. We don't want your kind here. coffee1.gif

You should read a geography book before you spew your nonsense. Or, maybe an encyclopedia. Yes the continents are North and South America. I am from the United States of America. Hence the name. Wee fact for you to digest; Brazilians and Mexicans do not call themselves Americans.

Nice that you agree with me ... you are from the USA ... thumbsup.gif

Oh for that wee lesson ... from Wiki ...

.. America,also known as the New World, are the combined continental landmasses of North America and South America in the. Along with their associated islands, they cover 8.3% of the Earth's total surface area (28.4% of its land area).

The topography is dominated by the American Cordillera, a long chain of mountains that run the length of the west coast. The flatter eastern side of the Americas is dominated by large river basins, such as the Amazon, Mississippi, and La Plata.

Extending 14,000 km (8,699 mi) in a north-south orientation, the climate and ecology varies widely across the Americas, from arctic tundra of norther Canada, Greenland and Alaska, to the tropical rain forests in Central America and South America.

Wiki Link

As for consulting an Atlas ... let's have a wee peek for a country called America ...

Nope ... nothing there either... coffee1.gif

I see you like to pick and choose your facts to suit your weak argument. Of course the map you show omits the proper names of two countries, but let's not worry about that. It's the United States of America and the United States of Mexico. Now can you see? No, you can't. You put in troll posts to see what type of rise you can get. But I have time, and you are wrong. I also notice you do not say directly I am wrong, just use ambiguous "facts" to suit your needs. I am from the good ol' US of A. Don't like it, don't come here. Argue facts.

"Of course the map you show omits the proper names of two countries" ...

No problem ... you are obviously correct, and everyone else is wrong ... facepalm.gif

1365352773_pivnichna-amerika.png

source

Llegadas-Turistas-Visitantes-Extranjeros

source

BTW ... not to diss the vast majority for Folk from the USA.

I lived there for 6 months and a warmer, more friendly country and it's people would be difficult to surpass ... thumbsup.gif

It's just that 'America' is not the 'USA' ... but the 'USA' is a significant part of 'America' ... or more correctly put ... 'The Americas'.

As for the 'Trolling comment in the post above ... hardly ... laugh.png

I don't Troll ... just not my style ... coffee1.gif

Now that we have settled that ... apologies to the OP ... we seem to have steered the ship a little off course.

Let me get the rudder pointed again in the right direction.

I'm an Aussie, born in Australia ... or, as our friends from across the Ditch like to refer to us as New Zealand's West Island.

Definitely white, though, if left out in the sun too long, liable to turn a 'Lighter shade of Pale', then a light red ... then a crimson Red!

I'll duck up and vote now!

• Like 1

OK, you've got common sense, but how many other Scots have not realised that if they take the wrong road there is no turning back. Yet according to Salmonds, if the vote goes against him, he will go back, expecting that within 20yrs that they will try again and then again until, they do get the decision that he wants. This is one of the reasons that many English people are so sick of this question, we don't want it to continue, better to separate now and be done with this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Quebec has been doing this for 35 - 40 years in Canada... Never quite manage to get out though! The benefits of membership seem to outweigh the negatives when it gets down to the nub.

Re United State and America:

"of America" is a descriptor defining those "United States" as differentiated from other united states. "of America" actually defines the "United States" as being part of a greater whole know as "America" which includes all of "The Americas".

What is your nationality

1. Other European cheesy.gif ...?

Every one lump together, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Polan, Portugal, Romania, (part of) Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, (part of) Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican. thumbsup.gif ...so many things in common!

I reckon 'murikan and geography... outside the States whistling.gif

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/eu.htm

Now that we have settled that ... apologies to the OP ... we seem to have steered the ship a little off course.

I'm an Aussie, born in Australia ... or, as our friends from across the Ditch like to refer to us as New Zealand's West Island.

Definitely white, though, if left out in the sun too long, liable to turn a 'Lighter shade of Pale', then a light red ... then a crimson Red!

You wrote, "Now that we have settled that." You settled your own argument? No way.

I asked a well educated Thai immigration official (because we are in Thailand and he deals with many different countries daily). So I asked, "do you know me?" He said, "yes." I asked him. "what kind of passport do I have?" He said, "American." I asked him what was my nationality and he answered, "American." I asked him if America was a country? He said, "of course." Just to check I asked him do Mexicans have American passports? He said no.

Different words are used differently in different places. Since this is Thailand and the forum, ThaiVisa, what better person to ask than a Thai Immigration officer?

So there you have it. So now we have settled that.

Edited by thailiketoo

You wrote, "Now that we have settled that." You settled your own argument? No way.

I asked a well educated Thai immigration official (because we are in Thailand and he deals with many different countries daily). So I asked, "do you know me?" He said, "yes." I asked him. "what kind of passport do I have?" He said, "American." I asked him what was my nationality and he answered, "American." I asked him if America was a country? He said, "of course." Just to check I asked him do Mexicans have American passports? He said no.

Different words are used differently in different places. Since this is Thailand and the forum, ThaiVisa, what better person to ask than a Thai Immigration officer?

Hmmm, I gave that same officer Canadian Tire money as a tip/tea money and he took it with a big grim and was off to buy a new bike... A paragon of knowledge and info he was.

post-30101-0-65777500-1391582762_thumb.j

• Like 1

Next answer from David go see your lawyer, dot! thumbsup.gif

Hmmm, I gave that same officer Canadian Tire money as a tip/tea money and he took it with a big grim and was off to buy a new bike... A paragon of knowledge and info he was.

55555555555 my sister arrives in a few weeks, I'm going to ask her to bring a bucket of crappy tire money now, great idea :)

• Like 1

Oh please save me ... an repeated conversation with a Thai immigration Official is now being offered as proof of an 'American' Passport ... facepalm.gif

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Looks the United States of America to me ... whistling.gif

Good old US of A ...

Guys, just accept it as a fact ... the USA is simply that ... the USA ... and a great and powerful nation it is.

But it's not 'America'.

It's popular colloquialism to refer to the USA as America, undoubtedly ... but the country is the USA.

How many international conventions would you like recognized?

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

521f6cceb2e0f.preview-300.jpg

Your own Postage Stamp ...

stamps5.jpg

How about the Official Olympic Team Logo?

olympic-team-logo.jpg

Lets just end this conversation there and return to the OP's question ... OK?

Oh please save me ... an repeated conversation with a Thai immigration Official is now being offered as proof of an 'American' Passport ... facepalm.gif

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Good old US of A ...

Guys, just accept it as a fact ... the USA is simply that ... the USA ... and a great and powerful nation it is.

But it's not 'America'.

It's popular colloquialism to refer to the USA as America, undoubtedly ... but the country is the USA.

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

stamps5.jpg

olympic-team-logo.jpg

You wrote, "lets just end this conversation", after writing almost a whole page of pictures of America and trying to convince people that America is not the name of America. I know wisdom is hard to come by but the whole world except you know America is the USA and not the United States of Mexico. There is only one America. People who live in America are Americans. You are dead wrong. Completely wrong. It is some odd idea that you picked up in an Aussie bar to further insult America as a certain class of Aussies are wont to do.

OK now, lets just end this conversation and reture to the OP's question.

Since the other countries in the Americas resent US domination (in many cases very much justified), it is polite to acknowledge that the name of the country is USA rather than America.

However of course everyone else has no problem with it, and that's the more common name for the country.

However when it comes to an ADJECTIVE or referring to the PEOPLE there really isn't any other word, so I'm afraid we're just going to have to keep "insulting" the citizens of those other countries.

------------------

Have to say I am surprised at the relatively low UK numbers compared to what I would have thought due to the dominance of a "Brit tone" here.

And to those that don't like being "lumped in" all together, sorry but didn't want a poll with 208+ choices.

Just remember national pride is the cause of more human suffering historically than even religion, and get over it.

• Like 2

IMHO independence would be a defeat for common sense. I think the UK is better off the way it is but we live in a democracy so if the majority vote for it then we will make the most of our lot. The only thing about this vote is that we can't become independent, decide we made a mistake and vote to reverse it in a few years like you can with the government. There's no turning back from this decision.

OK, you've got common sense, but how many other Scots have not realised that if they take the wrong road there is no turning back. Yet according to Salmonds, if the vote goes against him, he will go back, expecting that within 20yrs that they will try again and then again until, they do get the decision that he wants. This is one of the reasons that many English people are so sick of this question, we don't want it to continue, better to separate now and be done with this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I hear you nontabury. I'm sick of hearing about independence also. The thing is that most Scot's don't even think about it. It's self serving politicians that keep the independence questions in the public domain. We voted no in the 70's. If we vote no again do you think the politicians in the SNP will all say "OK we are wrong let's all retire and give up on independence"? No way. They will bang on about it forever as long as it keeps them in a job and in the limelight.

• Like 1

What is your nationality

• Other European cheesy.gif ...?
  • Every one lump together, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Polan, Portugal, Romania, (part of) Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, (part of) Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican. thumbsup.gif ...so many things in common!
  • I reckon 'murikan and geography... outside the States whistling.gif
  • http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/eu.htm

OK Tchooptip, just for you!

Breakdown of European nationalities and race/ethnicity - can't give more than 20 choices, so had to do three separate polls

Just remember national pride is the cause of more human suffering historically than even religion, and get over it.

Very true. Look at recent times in the Balkans or early 20th century Europe. Nationalism can be a very dangerous thing.

I'd like to know if there are any South or Central Americans on here so that they can tell us what term they use for people from the USA. Then we can maybe forget about the petty arguments. I think most are happy to use the term American. We have some Canadians on here so come on guys, what do you call your North American cousins?

Are there any Dutch here? Do you call your country Holland or the Netherlands? I bet that one confuses a lot of foreigners. Surely the Dutch are from Dutchland smile.png

Very true. Look at recent times in the Balkans or early 20th century Europe. Nationalism can be a very dangerous thing.

I'd like to know if there are any South or Central Americans on here so that they can tell us what term they use for people from the USA. Then we can maybe forget about the petty arguments. I think most are happy to use the term American. We have some Canadians on here so come on guys, what do you call your North American cousins?

Are there any Dutch here? Do you call your country Holland or the Netherlands? I bet that one confuses a lot of foreigners. Surely the Dutch are from Dutchland smile.png

You don't want to know :) 5555555555

No matter what anyone deludedly says, the United States' people refer to themselves as Americans. Americans (the good ol' Us of A) are willing to fight your wars for you, and we don't need a silly queen to do it for. As in war, you may not believe in God, but you're damn glad the Stars and Stripes are on your side; therein lies your hypocrisy. And one thing I can't stand is a hypocrite.

And, fro now on I think I'll refer to all people from the Australian continent as Britons using the same logic as US of A ain't full of Americans.

• Like 1

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Good old US of A ...

But it's not 'America'.

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

stamps5.jpg

olympic-team-logo.jpg

Using your "logic'" then you should say you are from Australia, not Australian. Would you be happy if I called myself United States of American? Doubtful.

No matter what anyone deludedly says, the United States' people refer to themselves as Americans. Americans (the good ol' Us of A) are willing to fight your wars for you, and we don't need a silly queen to do it for. As in war, you may not believe in God, but you're dam_n glad the Stars and Stripes are on your side; therein lies your hypocrisy. And one thing I can't stand is a hypocrite.

And, fro now on I think I'll refer to all people from the Australian continent as Britons using the same logic as US of A ain't full of Americans.

But us Aussies don't start wars, so lets forget that.

While you guys are busy draughting soldiers, us Aussies are busy draughting beer.

I know where I'd rather be.

• Like 2