Poll: what is your nationality and race/ethnicity?

wym

What is your nationality and/or ethnicity  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This squabling is rather annoying when you think of the original topic! You were both colonies and are now both very successful countries but we all share a common tongue and a shared view, pretty much, so now we argue about details of the history of our pasts and how interpret them? Interesting, as a Brit I always wondered about Pearl Harbour did the US know and allowed it to happen so they could enter the WW2? Was it a surprise or wasnt it?

Midway was perhaps the US Navy's finest hour, but when you look at what happened they had luck on their side, fortunately for all of us, go and have a look, Rosevelt said ever American should watch the films, he was right and it was a great victory that pushed the Japenese back 3000 miles at the time.

Before that the Royal navy ruled the waves but because of what restrictions were placed on them following the WW1 it was difficult for them to fight the Germans in the Atlantic, the Italians in the Med and the Japanese in the Pacific, but when the European war was finished the Royal Navy along with ships from the Empire totalling over 150 sailed to support the US Navy defeat Japan.

The Royal Navy ships were much smaller than the US one but had better decks ( steel rather than wood) which staved off Kamikaze attacks better, then there was the steam powered catapults, the angled flight decks and the mirrowed landing system which were all adopted and made new models far more powerful, best and latest practises among friends.

Although the UK participated in producing the first atomic bombs in 1946 President Truman stopped sharing atomic imformation with the UK. The UK went ahead to produce its own bomb and with US observers soon noticed that certain aspects of the UK bombs were in advance of the US ones and collaberation returned, that continued with sharing submarine reactors and polaris/trident systems. The current RN Astute submarines are surprising according to the US Navy compared to the latest US Navy equivalents, there advanced detection took the US navy aback.

We may have our differences but when it comes down to it, we are all on the same side, dont ever forget that.

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

This squabling is rather annoying when you think of the original topic! You were both colonies and are now both very successful countries but we all share a common tongue and a shared view, pretty much, so now we argue about details of the history of our pasts and how interpret them? Interesting, as a Brit I always wondered about Pearl Harbour did the US know and allowed it to happen so they could enter the WW2? Was it a surprise or wasnt it?

Midway was perhaps the US Navy's finest hour, but when you look at what happened they had luck on their side, fortunately for all of us, go and have a look, Rosevelt said ever American should watch the films, he was right and it was a great victory that pushed the Japenese back 3000 miles at the time.

Before that the Royal navy ruled the waves but because of what restrictions were placed on them following the WW1 it was difficult for them to fight the Germans in the Atlantic, the Italians in the Med and the Japanese in the Pacific, but when the European war was finished the Royal Navy along with ships from the Empire totalling over 150 sailed to support the US Navy defeat Japan.

The Royal Navy ships were much smaller than the US one but had better decks ( steel rather than wood) which staved off Kamikaze attacks better, then there was the steam powered catapults, the angled flight decks and the mirrowed landing system which were all adopted and made new models far more powerful, best and latest practises among friends.

Although the UK participated in producing the first atomic bombs in 1946 President Truman stopped sharing atomic imformation with the UK. The UK went ahead to produce its own bomb and with US observers soon noticed that certain aspects of the UK bombs were in advance of the US ones and collaberation returned, that continued with sharing submarine reactors and polaris/trident systems. The current RN Astute submarines are surprising according to the US Navy compared to the latest US Navy equivalents, there advanced detection took the US navy aback.

We may have our differences but when it comes down to it, we are all on the same side, dont ever forget that.

Which side is Australia on?

How so? Just a general survey for those that are interested, results are anonymous, most posters are anonymous even if the poll wasn't.

Actually a sexual orientation poll might be interesting - but probably not, CIS is SO boring 8-)

How so? Just a general survey for those that are interested, results are anonymous, most posters are anonymous even if the poll wasn't.

Actually a sexual orientation poll might be interesting - but probably not, CIS is SO boring 8-)

So we are not going to get to see the real results? Oh well, it seemed the Americans, Brits, and Aussies are dominating this thread anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So we are not going to get to see the real results? Oh well, it seemed the Americans, Brits, and Aussies are ominating this thread anyway.

The results are right up at the top, as people answer - only one round per username - they are updated.

I noted before the numbers didn't seem to add up, haven't bothered investigating the possible technical issues.

Obviously only a small fraction of visitors are taking the survey, and I would think the American and Australian contingents are perhaps a little over-represented, but I'm just guessing.

I am surprised by high the non-NES European proportion, perhaps just not as vocal as the NES crowd due to people being critical of grammar and spelling.

... thumbsup.gif

I agree that it's better to look for those things that bind us, not divide us.

I agree as long as "us" includes Muslims, Chinese, gay & black.

"Us vs Them" based on class sex/preference race religion nationality history or culture is what's divisive.

One step further all life, consider the other species we SHARE a common mother Gaia.

Sorry if that's taking it too far for some.

• Like 1

Australian by birth of mixed European descent (all of Britain, German and Viking).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes and you be proud of that, there will be no talk of the ashes today!!!!!! Ok you deserved to winwai2.gif THere will be next time, sometime!

at my own risk:

born of a second generation jewish father whose parents were from galicia (austro hungary) and second generation mother from same background, in america (usa); raised as jewish first (as a nationality) american second; now living in israel where i am considered an ashkenazi (white bread type) american jew but a bad one since im not religious in any way shape or form.... on my id card it says jewish although since 2009 that is no longer legal, and now just says israeli but i hve four stars next to my name which is ministry of interior code for jewish as opposed to muslem or christian or other, and i have a 0 in front of my id number which is their code for - came over from america in the 1980's. as opposed to other numbers which id the person 's 'status' /immigration date/nationality

so what does all that prove? (btw, apparently our family on my father's side is from the levite clan of the 13 tribes. go figure.but unlike the scots they dont ahve tartans to prove it)

at my own risk:

Bina, I'm curious, interpreting this as your anticipating possible anti-Semitism. . .

Have you found much of that among expats living here? I wouldn't have thought so?

I grew up in New York City so learned early on that Jews are indeed special, but it was all positive, and the self-deprecation usually very funny/entertaining. But lots of grandparents with numbers on their arm, that wasn't so funny learning about all that. . .

Now that we have settled that ... apologies to the OP ... we seem to have steered the ship a little off course.

Let me get the rudder pointed again in the right direction.

I'm an Aussie, born in Australia ... or, as our friends from across the Ditch like to refer to us as New Zealand's West Island.

Definitely white, though, if left out in the sun too long, liable to turn a 'Lighter shade of Pale', then a light red ... then a crimson Red!

I'll duck up and vote now!

You wrote, "Now that we have settled that." You settled your own argument? No way.

I asked a well educated Thai immigration official (because we are in Thailand and he deals with many different countries daily). So I asked, "do you know me?" He said, "yes." I asked him. "what kind of passport do I have?" He said, "American." I asked him what was my nationality and he answered, "American." I asked him if America was a country? He said, "of course." Just to check I asked him do Mexicans have American passports? He said no.

Different words are used differently in different places. Since this is Thailand and the forum, ThaiVisa, what better person to ask than a Thai Immigration officer?

So there you have it. So now we have settled that.

Oh please save me ... an repeated conversation with a Thai immigration Official is now being offered as proof of an 'American' Passport ... facepalm.gif

* sigh *

Travelinggg.jpg

Looks the United States of America to me ... whistling.gif

Good old US of A ...

Guys, just accept it as a fact ... the USA is simply that ... the USA ... and a great and powerful nation it is.

But it's not 'America'.

It's popular colloquialism to refer to the USA as America, undoubtedly ... but the country is the USA.

How many international conventions would you like recognized?

Your Passport ...

United Nations ...

521f6cceb2e0f.preview-300.jpg

Your own Postage Stamp ...

stamps5.jpg

How about the Official Olympic Team Logo?

olympic-team-logo.jpg

Lets just end this conversation there and return to the OP's question ... OK?

Its a colloquialism <deleted>.

America isn't Canada is it? Its not Mexico and its not Chile either.

If someone asks a European, have you been to America, the don't answer yes, I went to Bolivia.

• Like 1

as a Brit I always wondered about Pearl Harbour did the US know and allowed it to happen so they could enter the WW2? Was it a surprise or wasnt it?

There is quite a bit of evidence that the US government knew about the Japanese attack and let it happen in order to get the US citizens to enter the war so I would say the attack was a surprise for the US citizens but not a surprise to the higher ups in the US government.

as a Brit I always wondered about Pearl Harbour did the US know and allowed it to happen so they could enter the WW2? Was it a surprise or wasnt it?

There is quite a bit of evidence that the US government knew about the Japanese attack and let it happen in order to get the US citizens to enter the war so I would say the attack was a surprise for the US citizens but not a surprise to the higher ups in the US government.

@wolfmanjack,

been up late listening to Alex Jones, have you?

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems pretty clear that the US has entered several of its wars on such fabricated pretexts, but even I am skeptical that we would have intentionally sacrificed quite THAT much.

I agree the US government probably did know an attack was imminent, but the how, when and where were up in the air. From the people I've talked to from that era, that was Europe's war, and didn't want to get involved, having WW1 fresh on their minds. Most thought the attack would come from Germany, not Japan, believe it or not.

• 2 weeks later...