Thai protesters defiant as US warns against coup

webfact

There's considerably more dialogue underway between the two governments than this press release would infer. The next statement will likely carry a deeper sentiment but they will remain on the sidelines for the most part. As they probably should. All with the hope differences can be worked out internally. Big IF but there's always hope.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a grip. It's the same thing many other countries are saying.

It's strange the same countries don't take the same stance when it comes to Russia and Kiev.

Thailand has been a democratic country for a while these others have not. And Thailand and the US are friends?

If there was any threat to Chinas interest and they said "we don't want to see violence", would everyone be on here saying "bog off china, mind ur own business".

Because, its a sign that they care at least. One day, maybe the USA might just make best new friends with Burma and Cambodia and say "hey, we bogged off, don't choke on Beijing's schlong".

Beijing is already in control...... Uncle Sam can be as disappointed as he wants.

For the sake of the Thai people and the future of Thailand I certainly hope you are wrong smile.png

If there was any threat to Chinas interest and they said "we don't want to see violence", would everyone be on here saying "bog off china, mind ur own business".

Because, its a sign that they care at least. One day, maybe the USA might just make best new friends with Burma and Cambodia and say "hey, we bogged off, don't choke on Beijing's schlong".

The U.S. is already making inroads with Burma thumbsup.gif Thailand has indeed been dancing on a tightrope with china and they had better be careful as to just how cozy they get with Bejing before its too late wai2.gif

• Like 1

Beijing is already in control...... Uncle Sam can be as disappointed as he wants.

For the sake of the Thai people and the future of Thailand I certainly hope you are wrong smile.png

Well we are at different ends of the argument for sure. The Chinese have come a million miles from the hard core communism of the past. Yes they have a long way to go, but I would rather lean towards them than have anything more to do with the American legacies (of recent times - I can expand on the despicable history if needed) left in this region and wider Asia which many here seemingly dismiss as an irrelevance to this thread.

• Like 1

'run their country' ? Try to think this through. The 'warning' is about avoiding a military coup....

Which is none of the USA's business.

You are right we should take all our financing,All our tourism, all our foreign aid, all our military aid and give it to Burma,Laos and Cambodia. You seem pretty ignorant on the dynamic between Thailand and the United States. We don't need them as much as they need us. You are most likely some butt hurt European crying because Thailand never cares what your country thinks only their 150+ year diplomatic relationship with America. The other option is we leave China steps in. Judging by how well the Chinese have infiltrated Thai society I don't think it will work out well for Thailand.

And one thing you forgot to add to it. The King was born WHERE? Not england, not germany, not russia, not france, good old USA.

New Englander like myself actually. A couple years back when I came in 2009 I brought a ton of Massachusetts quarters to give out on his birthday.(One heck of a Bbay the loved showed in 2009 was incredible) very few Thai people realized he was born in Cambridge Mass. I would ask where did you think he was born? Thailand of course! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand%E2%80%93United_States_relations Nuff said.

• Like 1

Its good to see the USA and many other countries picking up the stick and raising it above their head with a threat that a coup of any type will not be tolerated.

The Elite in Thailand have lots of their money outside Thailand, in Singapore, in Europe, in the USA, in banks and investments in property and business.

Now, sanctions would hurt them badly and they know it. It will help to avoid all types of coup if they know their overseas assets are at risk of being seized for going against democracy and elections.

Suthep is just a front man for the sections of the Elite which want their way, or nothing at all, to hell with the people and elections, mostly appointed Senate, mostly appointed parliament and no chance to ever vote them out of control. This time in 2013/14 is the first time ever most of the world has actually stood up and told them in no uncertain terms that if they do 2006 or 2008 again, there will be consequences on the world stage. No more free ride.

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Is there anything the US can say that would not be found wrong by the Peanut Gallery?

thumbsup.gif

Possibly: give us aid & help when we need it, especially in times of war-but let us continue to envy and criticize you on forums, because it is too dangerous in person.

Its quite easy to see that the threats of the global community against coups of any type is working, else there would have been a coup already.

The PDRC wanted a coup, its not happened.

The PDRC wanted to stop the election to make PTP breach the constitution, its not happened.

The final game plan of the PDRC is to try to stop the payments to rice farmers until they turn against the PTP party, but its not happening, they are just saying they want their money, thats all. Their political affiliation is not changing, as seen by the election where the majority had its voice heard.

The NACC can do nothing, they can find certain people guilty, even YL if they want to, but there are replacements lined up to take over - so it will have no effect on PTP.

So the government is busy selling rice now (as has been seen with warehoused rice getting sent off to be sold) and that money will gradually come to be distributed to farmers, eventually enough rice sold to pay them all.

Provided the USA and other large countries continue to in effect threaten serious consequences for any coup by way of warnings to not have them, the stalemate carries on, but it swings into PTP's favour.

Less protestors, less and less.

Rice farmers slowly getting paid.

Some PDRC protestors breaking law after law for which there can be "no amnesty"

The majority of the Thai population support elections and want their say and their choice, rather than turn on the government more and more will turn on the PDRC and Democrat Party for creating this stalemate by blocking and stalling the election process.

The end game has always been a coup for the PDRC, thats the only way they can get what they want - but the consequences of it could be very very disastrous. Its now 2014, its not 2006 or 2008 anymore. People are far better informed and better connected to each other.

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

The chances of a coup are considerably less now, though they were never particularly high to begin with. The United States is striking the correct balance by advocating finding a means to resolve this through democratic and constitutional means. It is clear - and has been clear for some time - that this will be settled through constitutional means. There are a flurry of challenges regarding constitutional issues, stemming from the election itself, to campaign infractions, to the amnesty bill, to the senate bill, and to the rice scheme. All pose potential hazards to the Yingluck administration. Pheu Thai may still think it's in the driver seat, but as the days progress they will become exponentially more aware of what they cannot do. Their ability to order people about hasn't changed, but their administrative capacity has. Their first realization of this will be in the rice payments. Pheu Thai will hate what will be an emerging reality for them - to plea for powers from the very overseeing institutions they have so strongly displayed indifference to in the past.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 2

My god.

The US military and the Thai military are big brother and little brother. The US Government is making this statement because it knows what's going on out of our view. The Pentagon knows what Prayuth had for breakfast this morning and Prayuth knows it. The State Department knows what time Prem got up this morning. This is a shot across the bow.

Asean begged the United States to commit to its "Pivot to the Pacific," its Rebalancing away from the Middle East and central-south Asia to the Indo-Pacific strategic region, in economics, politically, militarily. Air-Sea Battle of ships, planes, stealth, missiles, is the new warfare replacing boots on the ground.

Posters here are still taking about Beijing controlling Myanmar when Prez Obama went there last time he was here because now the United States practically owns the place. The CIA with Suu Kyi sent the monks into the streets twice to bring the regime there to heel. Now the US has veto power over all foreign investment in Myanmar which aces Beijing out and leaves it wondering what the ____ happened. No one hears Japan here every day pressuring the old guard to knock it off because Japan and the US are moving into Myanmar to develop it while making an honest buck out of it and to have more broadly based elections that put Suu Kyi in the presidential palace, giving the deeds to the generals for their private South Pacific islands.

I don't know how anyone on either side of this mess going on here gets any sleep at night because half the governments and corporations of the world and all of them in Asean are on the phone to all the players. Ambassadors and the UN and dozens of others are calling day and night, the principal players and their principal people on all sides have ten calls on hold while they're simultaneously handling three calls from dozens of governments, global investment banks, corporations, tourism companies - the list gets long and the contacts intense and frantic.

My god.

Edited to add the EU and just about all of the EU member governments and corporate interests in constant contact with the principal players on all sides warning, admonishing, cajoling, begging, same as the other dozens of governments of the region and around the world that are invested in Thailand or, such as Amnesty International, profoundly interested and committed to peace and order in the former LOS. The global and regional media are all over the place digging for information and stories, the background scoop and all the rest of it, calling the principals, tracking them down for interviews, information etc. New Delhi is worried, Beijing is worried, Canberra is trying to calm the place. There's no end of the commotion going on here and globally, regionally - and then there's the players internally here themselves carrying on 24/7 too. There's a reason nobody sees YS even while there's an election going on, cause she's got phones growing out of her ears.

This is what happens whenever anybody mentions China. Publicus goes uncorked and starts spewing all sorts of bizarro conspiracy theories.

It is difficult to understand why the American Government appears to be supporting a government which is effectively run by a convicted criminal based in Dubai and a government which bought the votes required to get them into power. There is nothing democratic about the Phua Thai party and the question is would it be allowed to happen in America? Perhaps Paksi needs to make himself aware of the real issues here in Thailand before he opens his mouth.

Since when has the Thai government warned the US government about anything, like never, but still the big international bully has a right to give warnings to anyone?

Thais can fix Thailand's problem.

Busy body Farang USA should keep their hands in their pants.

They haven't been able to solve jack s*it for 60 years of repeated coups, get real.

• Like 1

Beijing doesn't run Thailand. A bunch of thai Chinese run it, and they love to get paid by whoever.

That so far on average has been the USA, Japan and others. China is still a new kid on the block here. The USA still has sway with the politicos on all sides the army and a lot of the old farts.

With respect the Chinese geo political influence in this whole region is far stronger than any western media would have you believe. Be careful you don't miss the crucial signs by watching too much CNN. Uncle Sam is no longer the force he once was. Their failed military incursions across Asia have relegated them to nothing more than a cash cow. And once DPRK has been brought into line by the Chinese (in a similar fashion as Myanmar) Uncle Sam's presence will become irrelevant. Don't worry this is another what maybe10 years down the road, but the dragon is gaining strength day by day by day..... Globally not just in SEAsia.

You underestimate how powerful the thai Chinese businessman has become. Cp us an enormous company in china and the chairman brokers massive deals for companies wanting to enter China.

Why do you think that the law forces ALL companies to get local partners? Because it means that the local government had control of the local partner. This creates the situation where the investors have to be largely an honest broker, and cannot enter Thailand without partnering.

Yes China is important, I would say that cp is more important in se Asia. He controls events everyone's food.

'"We certainly do not want to see a coup or violence," US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki' As there has already been violence - there were several noises early in the morning, from the direction of Petchaburi Road, that could only have been gunshots - one assumes Mr/Ms Psaki isn't paying much attention to the news.

Since when has the Thai government warned the US government about anything, like never, but still the big international bully has a right to give warnings to anyone?

Thais can fix Thailand's problem.

Busy body Farang USA should keep their hands in their pants.

Interesting response. Perhaps you should conduct a context check, then repost. Or perhaps not...

I've been trying to hold my tongue but I've reached that point. America has its problems. It's government is far from perfect and it's system of justice and government is the severely screwed up and yet it is still the shining light on the hill. We are the standard of freedom for the world. Do we have greedy individuals as well as corruption. You bet we do.

Do we spend to much of our resources as world police? I think so yet those people we help might disagree. Name a free country that is better off without us. I can, Vietnam. Are we perfect. Hell no! Are we the standard of freedom? Hell yes!

Are there better managed countries? Singapore comes to mind. Maybe some other micro states. I love Canada as well. I would love for my country to keep to itself for a few years. Put up the closed for business, be back in 50 years sign, but I know the world would suffer for it. I love the time I am spending here living and working in Thailand. Despite what most posters say the Thai people have been wonderful to me and I am truly sad as I leave for other parts of the country. I leave my new friends with vows to stay connected and I will hold them and this country in my heart forever.

That being said, I also have developed a profound longing for the United States. Not simply my family and friends but for my home country. With all it's faults and follies, the greatest country in the world. A land of second chances and new beginnings for millions of citizens and transplants. A country I am proud to call home.

Everyone to their own. You're American so your defence of the US is predictable; I'm British so hold a different view.

I've been trying to hold my tongue but I've reached that point. America has its problems. It's government is far from perfect and it's system of justice and government is the severely screwed up and yet it is still the shining light on the hill. We are the standard of freedom for the world. Do we have greedy individuals as well as corruption. You bet we do.

Do we spend to much of our resources as world police? I think so yet those people we help might disagree. Name a free country that is better off without us. I can, Vietnam. Are we perfect. Hell no! Are we the standard of freedom? Hell yes!

Are there better managed countries? Singapore comes to mind. Maybe some other micro states. I love Canada as well. I would love for my country to keep to itself for a few years. Put up the closed for business, be back in 50 years sign, but I know the world would suffer for it. I love the time I am spending here living and working in Thailand. Despite what most posters say the Thai people have been wonderful to me and I am truly sad as I leave for other parts of the country. I leave my new friends with vows to stay connected and I will hold them and this country in my heart forever.

That being said, I also have developed a profound longing for the United States. Not simply my family and friends but for my home country. With all it's faults and follies, the greatest country in the world. A land of second chances and new beginnings for millions of citizens and transplants. A country I am proud to call home.

Sounds like second stage culture shock. There is very little I miss about the US. Not the necessity to go through a list of providers for electricity, natural gas, insurance (health and home and car), telephone, and TV and then having your application for many of these public services scrutinized by a private sector credit ratings agency. I don't miss being fondled and inspected at airports or having cameras looking for your front tire to touch the stop line on the pavement so they can issue you a $500 moving violation and increase your insurance (see above). I don't miss the constant inspections, the laborious tax filing system, the obesity causing fast food chains, or the illegal aliens who break into your house, ram your car, or take the spot in front of you in the emergency rooms, all of which you pay for while they go scott free. I don't miss property tax rates that have become confiscatory or public highways being turned into toll roads. And most of all, I don't miss Jerry Jones and his band robbers who bought the Cowboys and became a symbol for everything wrong with American values and the American economy.

I love the language the US likes to use in reference to other countries-' deeply concerned', 'deeply disappointed'.

Patronising nonsense, stop worrying US and learn to enjoy life.

US may be concerned that they have supported the wrong side. It leaves China open to support whoever wins. Sometimes it is better to wait, before jumping in.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thailand cares. A lot. Why do you think Suthep wrote that letter to Obama?

Continue on with USA bashing. I would gladly see you all enslaved by the Chinese.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Enslaved for USA bashing ,been reading too much of GW Bush,s book. With us or agin us.whistling.gif

I hate to have to agree with LarryBird, not the real one, but the Celtics fan borrowing his name, as I am also a very proud American. I just think, politically, the US could have waited before jumping in and supporting one side about something they couldn't have been sure of. This isn't a terrorist threat to the US. What was the rush?

Who briefed Rep. Turner?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand