Thai protesters defiant as US warns against coup

webfact

Hey what about Thailand?

Doesn't anybody care about Thailand?

What ever happened to Thai related posts? why is this thread allowed to continue

If this had turned to a thread about , err let/s say Israel. it would had being closed it two seconds flat.

are there different rules in this forum for different countries?

Because it's also about the US, as in "Thai Protesters Defiant as US Warns . . ."

How is the infrastructure in the US related to the protests in Thailand?

Why don't you try reading the thread and find out.

oh , okrolleyes.gif

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he US? It's all yours. It's a third world country with a first world infrastructure.blink.png And the latter will not last much longer. The US was destroyed by what Thailand is just now figuring out: democracy ends when the majority discover that they can vote themselves the right to plunder the treasury.

" a first world infrastructure ":giggle:

http://realtruth.org/articles/100709-002-americas.html

Good point. I actually suffered through more frequent and longer electricity outages back in the US than I do, here, in Thailand.

Deadbeat can't pay his bills. TFV is free of charge so I can see why you're here so much. laugh.png

Hey what about Thailand?

Doesn't anybody care about Thailand?

What ever happened to Thai related posts? why is this thread allowed to continue

If this had turned to a thread about , err let/s say Israel. it would had being closed it two seconds flat.

are there different rules in this forum for different countries?

Because it's also about the US, as in "Thai Protesters Defiant as US Warns . . ."

How is the infrastructure in the US related to the protests in Thailand?

+1

Easy to do with some posters, but a good hit all the same.

We remain concerned that political tensions in Thailand are posing challenges to the democratic institutions and processes of Thailand," the US State Department's Psaki told reporters in Washington.

"We certainly don't take sides, as you know, in Thailand's political disputes, but we continue to urge all sides to commit to sincere dialogue to resolve political differences peacefully and democratically."

But for the the last few months all we have heard from the pro "win the vote and you can do what ever you like above the law and constitution" method of corrupt democracy and from these scum bags in government currently over riding the law and the constitution is that the US is supporting them. Yet there has not been one article as such doing so. All of them are supporting the democratic process not any group involved. Yet the Red mouth pieces will be still on here spouting their constant stream of made up garbage that statements such as this made by Psaki are in support of the Shinawatra thieves and in spite of requests to point to even one item that solely points to that support none of them are forth coming. I guess if Yingluck says its true then her bull crap suffices for a lot.

The sooner the true democratic process of the court kicks in and remove most of this Shinawatra and Pheu Thai scum from politics the better chance Thailand will have to find some ground to move forward.

Edited by Roadman

Interesting thread, civil comments and gentle pokes going back and fourth and the only time it gets way out of hand or vitreous is when the Thai link gets mentioned then its all scumbags and devil worship ..... gotta laugh reminds me when i popped over to the US as a teen and landed up in the bible belt........ coming from the UK and knowing the king James Bible its history and bringing into being etc I was astounded at the reverence and literal word being taken ( amazingly to me ) extremes... well to cut the whole story and sorry adventure short, i ended up being chased and shot at by some real life god fearing bible bashers, freaked the heck out of me and convinced me the whole place was totally nuts for a decade or so lol

Here seems there is the same building group think and almost a religious zealot cult in both sides, now ive always known Thais can be .... lets say focused on thinking in single dimensions at times...but what i do see more now in the expats is people here getting sucked right in along with them, now maybe thats just people being people or perhaps its that some have got too close to the flames or preachers here i dunno, i do know its gaining momentum and to those of us looking on and shaking our heads secretly or publicly saying whoa there calm down, nothing is black and white its always grey ... dont go there its not where you want to go ... really it just gets all nuts and will scar you for ages...really seems we get shot at by either side of the zealot fence occasionally when pointing out its not black and white just grey... and then i do feel like im back in the bible belt at times...just a Thai one of red or yellow.

PS ive since been back to the US on a number of occasions and happy to say most are a great bunch,like everywhere else as long as you stay away from the zealots, politicians generally suck though but then again they do pretty much around the world so nothing strange there .. or here about that. thumbsup.gif

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

I've been trying to hold my tongue but I've reached that point. America has its problems. It's government is far from perfect and it's system of justice and government is the severely screwed up and yet it is still the shining light on the hill. We are the standard of freedom for the world. Do we have greedy individuals as well as corruption. You bet we do.

Do we spend to much of our resources as world police? I think so yet those people we help might disagree. Name a free country that is better off without us. I can, Vietnam. Are we perfect. Hell no! Are we the standard of freedom? Hell yes!

Are there better managed countries? Singapore comes to mind. Maybe some other micro states. I love Canada as well. I would love for my country to keep to itself for a few years. Put up the closed for business, be back in 50 years sign, but I know the world would suffer for it. I love the time I am spending here living and working in Thailand. Despite what most posters say the Thai people have been wonderful to me and I am truly sad as I leave for other parts of the country. I leave my new friends with vows to stay connected and I will hold them and this country in my heart forever.

That being said, I also have developed a profound longing for the United States. Not simply my family and friends but for my home country. With all it's faults and follies, the greatest country in the world. A land of second chances and new beginnings for millions of citizens and transplants. A country I am proud to call home.

Very well said thumbsup.gif

I've been trying to hold my tongue but I've reached that point. America has its problems. It's government is far from perfect and it's system of justice and government is the severely screwed up and yet it is still the shining light on the hill. We are the standard of freedom for the world. Do we have greedy individuals as well as corruption. You bet we do.

Do we spend to much of our resources as world police? I think so yet those people we help might disagree. Name a free country that is better off without us. I can, Vietnam. Are we perfect. Hell no! Are we the standard of freedom? Hell yes!

Are there better managed countries? Singapore comes to mind. Maybe some other micro states. I love Canada as well. I would love for my country to keep to itself for a few years. Put up the closed for business, be back in 50 years sign, but I know the world would suffer for it. I love the time I am spending here living and working in Thailand. Despite what most posters say the Thai people have been wonderful to me and I am truly sad as I leave for other parts of the country. I leave my new friends with vows to stay connected and I will hold them and this country in my heart forever.

That being said, I also have developed a profound longing for the United States. Not simply my family and friends but for my home country. With all it's faults and follies, the greatest country in the world. A land of second chances and new beginnings for millions of citizens and transplants. A country I am proud to call home.

Sounds like second stage culture shock. There is very little I miss about the US. Not the necessity to go through a list of providers for electricity, natural gas, insurance (health and home and car), telephone, and TV and then having your application for many of these public services scrutinized by a private sector credit ratings agency. I don't miss being fondled and inspected at airports or having cameras looking for your front tire to touch the stop line on the pavement so they can issue you a $500 moving violation and increase your insurance (see above). I don't miss the constant inspections, the laborious tax filing system, the obesity causing fast food chains, or the illegal aliens who break into your house, ram your car, or take the spot in front of you in the emergency rooms, all of which you pay for while they go scott free. I don't miss property tax rates that have become confiscatory or public highways being turned into toll roads. And most of all, I don't miss Jerry Jones and his band robbers who bought the Cowboys and became a symbol for everything wrong with American values and the American economy.

Well you're in the right place with your man Suthep and all the rest of his dinks.

You over here means one fewer tea party wingnut back home mucking things up even more. Your Suthep Ultraman views make life very difficult for you in the States, for sure.

The US? It's all yours. It's a third world country with a first world infrastructure. And the latter will not last much longer. The US was destroyed by what Thailand is just now figuring out: democracy ends when the majority discover that they can vote themselves the right to plunder the treasury.

Zydeco, I see you are a student of Alexis de Tocqueville, a man after my own heart thumbsup.gif It is amazing how deTocqueville predicted the future of the U.S. so accurately way back in the 1830's! When Obama was elected the first time I thought it was a fluke, but when he got reelected then I realized that the worm had turned for the U.S. and de Tocquevilles prophecy had come home to roostsad.png With that said, most of the European Union states are in far worse shape than the U.S., Japan is just a few years away from a demographic disaster and China is about to have a very large hiccup that will send an economic tsunami over the oceans to its commodity suppliers like Australia and Brazil. All in all the U.S. will benefit by being the last man standing (so to speak) and of course by being the worlds only superpower wai2.gif

Its good to see the USA and many other countries picking up the stick and raising it above their head with a threat that a coup of any type will not be tolerated.

The Elite in Thailand have lots of their money outside Thailand, in Singapore, in Europe, in the USA, in banks and investments in property and business.

Now, sanctions would hurt them badly and they know it. It will help to avoid all types of coup if they know their overseas assets are at risk of being seized for going against democracy and elections.

Suthep is just a front man for the sections of the Elite which want their way, or nothing at all, to hell with the people and elections, mostly appointed Senate, mostly appointed parliament and no chance to ever vote them out of control. This time in 2013/14 is the first time ever most of the world has actually stood up and told them in no uncertain terms that if they do 2006 or 2008 again, there will be consequences on the world stage. No more free ride.

All in my opinion of course.

A very inciteful opinion indeedthumbsup.gif

Can the Yankees - just for ONCE - keep their big nose out of it. Whatever they touched in Indochina - was a mess.

Get your 50 million American-Americans off food stamps and into jobs, produce competitive products rather than telling the whole world what to do and start thinking on how you want to pay back those USD 85 billions (yep, billions) monthly which are printed by the Federal Bank (which is not one state-owned bank but a consortium of 10+ private banks). And while you're at it, give your kids some decent food which might result in having less than 20% of them being overly obese.

Pathetic!

Funny how the word Yank use to be an endearment in World war 2 when we were helping your war mongering asses from speaking German. Good enough for us to help you in WW1 and WW2 ehh. If only we could have said let the Germans and Japanese have them we don't need Europe. I am sure all those victims buried in Kburi would be grateful the US bombed the bridge and stepped in. What did the Brits and French want to do after WW2 divide Thailand who stopped them America that is why they get along with us more than they get along with you so stop crying like a bitch. PS The European banks borrowed a s**t ton of money during the crisis seems you forget that aspect of your argument. How much does your country contribute to regional security in Asia? What do we benefit from it? A: Not a whole lot! Why not talk about oil and how the US is only there for said oil ever though we get less than 14% of our oil from said region and pay the same price for a barrel as the rest of the world. Seems that other 85% goes where? And you guys pay what?

Bravo big rick thumbsup.gif

If there was any threat to Chinas interest and they said "we don't want to see violence", would everyone be on here saying "bog off china, mind ur own business".

Because, its a sign that they care at least. One day, maybe the USA might just make best new friends with Burma and Cambodia and say "hey, we bogged off, don't choke on Beijing's schlong".

Beijing is already in control...... Uncle Sam can be as disappointed as he wants.

For the sake of the Thai people and the future of Thailand I certainly hope you are wrong xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Well we are at different ends of the argument for sure. The Chinese have come a million miles from the hard core communism of the past. Yes they have a long way to go, but I would rather lean towards them than have anything more to do with the American legacies (of recent times - I can expand on the despicable history if needed) left in this region and wider Asia which many here seemingly dismiss as an irrelevance to this thread.

As the old saying goes "be careful what you wish young lady for you may very well get it" whistling.gif

I fail to see what all the nationalistic BS being poured out here... is all about.

In the OP post, the U.S. State Department person simply said what the U.S. usually/almost always says publicly in regards to internal domestic disputes in other countries.

Don't resort to violence, let the democratic process work, engage in dialog, etc etc. That advice usually is meant to apply to BOTH or ALL sides... not just the government, or the anti-government forces.

But, at the end of the day, the U.S. will likely end up dealing with whomever ends up running the Thai government, whether it's PT, or the Dems, or some other kind of party/entity.

Speaking as an American, I'd assume we want stability in the region and we don't want one of our Asian allies tearing itself apart with domestic strife. But I wouldn't necessarily take that as any kind of endorsement of YL and the PT folks... They just happen to be (kind of/barely) running the current government for now.

We remain concerned that political tensions in Thailand are posing challenges to the democratic institutions and processes of Thailand," the US State Department's Psaki told reporters in Washington.

"We certainly don't take sides, as you know, in Thailand's political disputes, but we continue to urge all sides to commit to sincere dialogue to resolve political differences peacefully and democratically."

But for the the last few months all we have heard from the pro "win the vote and you can do what ever you like above the law and constitution" method of corrupt democracy and from these scum bags in government currently over riding the law and the constitution is that the US is supporting them. Yet there has not been one article as such doing so. All of them are supporting the democratic process not any group involved. Yet the Red mouth pieces will be still on here spouting their constant stream of made up garbage that statements such as this made by Psaki are in support of the Shinawatra thieves and in spite of requests to point to even one item that solely points to that support none of them are forth coming. I guess if Yingluck says its true then her bull crap suffices for a lot.

The sooner the true democratic process of the court kicks in and remove most of this Shinawatra and Pheu Thai scum from politics the better chance Thailand will have to find some ground to move forward.

I'll welcome others to speak for me this time:

1) “Fascism is the pursuit of a transcendent and cleansing nation-statism through paramilitarism.” Michael Mann, historical sociologist and Professor of Sociology, UCLA.

2) Political cleansing: Silencing the political opposition so that the transcendent aims of fascism can be realized. Restricting the freedom of speech, outlawing opposition parties, imprisoning political opponents (or worse) and indoctrinating youth in fascist principles.

3) “Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a massed-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing.”

Robert O. Paxton, Emeritus Professor of History, Columbia University.

Edited by Publicus